14.14 is out, did it fix Arc+Sub for you?

• 23 August 2022
  • 84 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just updated to 14.14. The issue with Arc+Sub is not fixed. Anyone with better luck?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

The sound is okay for me now

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Sound still awful turned truplay off again after retuning still centre /treble heavy another couple of months to wait before they release another update 

Vocals are clear though piercing clear in fact...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sounds fine to me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Do you notice any difference in sound when TruePlay is on? In my case, it only cuts the base. When I remove Sub from the system, TruePlay doesn’t change the sound at all. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Do you notice any difference in sound when TruePlay is on? In my case, it only cuts the base. When I remove Sub from the system, TruePlay doesn’t change the sound at all. 

Yes it sounds worse plus no bass at all unless you turn it up to over +6

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Deleted 

The effects of TruePlay, if any, depend on your room, equipment layout, and listening position. The goal of TruePlay is to balance the sound (as much as possible) and correct issues. In some cases the layout is already very good and there is nothing that TruePlay can improve. Placement of SUB is very room dependent. For example, placing SUB in a corner will increase its output. If TruePlay then corrects this imbalance, the initial observation might be negative if you are a bass freak.

In my college apartment there was a very gross room issue and if I placed a chair at a certain spot, the bass notes seemed to explode from inside your body. This was the absolute favorite listening spot for young males. In this context if TruePlay fixed the room anomaly TruePlay would have been an unwelcome “improvement”.

Trueplay cannot make much improvement for rooms that are very poorly arranged or have too many reflections.

Also, if we have become used to a certain sound character, any change can be initially unwelcome.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I will await the Peter Pee video to see what his thoughts are and to compare the sound curve. However, for what it's worth, I'd say it's worse. No difference to the volume mapping (which we were told was intentional, so not expecting that to change) and the mids are even further pronounced in my opinion. Dialogue is off, Trueplay never tuned so it's always been off. No EQ enhancements, no level changes.

Like I said in the 14.12 thread, they couldn't even tell us they'd released this 14.14. Well and truly buried their heads in the sand. Very disappointed in spending a ton of money in something that doesn't sound as good as when I bought it. Proper shame

Volume mapping has no effect on the ultimate sound quality, but it might influence our perception of how “powerful” the unit might be. If units ‘A’ and ‘B’ have identical maximum output power, but unit ‘A’ must be set to ‘20’ while ‘B’ must be set to ‘40’ for normal listening level, ‘A’ will be perceived as more powerful -- even though at the maximum control setting the units will have identical output.

In this example ‘A’ may be more difficult to control at lower listening levels because the steps are larger.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The effects of TruePlay, if any, depend on your room, equipment layout, and listening position. The goal of TruePlay is to balance the sound (as much as possible) and correct issues. In some cases the layout is already very good and there is nothing that TruePlay can improve. Placement of SUB is very room dependent. For example, placing SUB in a corner will increase its output. If TruePlay then corrects this imbalance, the initial observation might be negative if you are a bass freak.

In my college apartment there was a very gross room issue and if I placed a chair at a certain spot, the bass notes seemed to explode from inside your body. This was the absolute favorite listening spot for young males. In this context if TruePlay fixed the room anomaly TruePlay would have been an unwelcome “improvement”.

Trueplay cannot make much improvement for rooms that are very poorly arranged or have too many reflections.

Also, if we have become used to a certain sound character, any change can be initially unwelcome.

I’m fully with you on TruePlay. You explained it very well. The thing is that prior to 14.12 update, TruePlay was correcting the sound quite significantly in my room. To be honnest, mostly in the high frequency range. So, with TruePlay on prior to update I had my highs at +4. Now I have to boost them to +10 and I’m not getting that crisp high end sound I was getting before. 
The thing is, I mentioned this before in an other topic, I returned a few other soundbars because their high end sounded dull. Now my Arc sounds just like those soundbars - dull. This is not what I bought.

I’m truly disapointed and still hope they will fix it.

Sounds fine to me. 

Yes, I’ve not really noticed the Bass issues that some people refer to. The Arc with Surrounds/Sub playing either (Atmos/Dolby) Netflix movies or Amazon/Deezer music all sound fine here too.

The thing I noticed (mostly) was the change to the volume curve. So the volume slider is set higher in the App at our ‘usual’ listening level. It’s also certainly true that the speech/dialogue center-channel audio has improved.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The sub being absolutely nerfed has not been corrected. I won’t get into the Arc’s sound profile transformation, which I’m not a fan of either, because the sub being neutered is absolutely what’s most infuriating. 

Trueplay off or on, the sub used to absolutely floor me with how powerful it was. I have used the same songs to showcase it to friends and family since I set my system up, but those same songs are now completely lifeless. I wouldn’t show this system off to anyone at this point because quite frankly, it sounds like trash. 

This has been covered already in other threads but such a drastic change to the sound profile should be something the user has control over toggling on or off. To simply force a change on us that breaks what we initially paid for with no ability to roll back has got to be the worst move I’ve ever seen a company like this make. 

Thanks for the lack of communication, Sonos. You won’t be seeing another cent from this once loyal customer. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

No problem with the sound for me. At first listen, no real change from 14.12 (which I am okay with). 

But the app itself had an issue with reconnecting with the system. I had to power off-on all speakers and my router. Hopefully a one-time experience.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

My issue is the volume as with many others. They lowered it with the 14.12 update..and it’s the same with the 14.14…crappy

Userlevel 1

I just updated to 14.14 ; I hear some improvement however it is still not the same system I originally purchased and they really should go back to 14.10.   I have to turn my sub up to max to hear it, with true play on and off.  It is a little more blended with trueplay on but I have to have it over 10 to hear it.  I was told it was intentional to lower the bass in the sub so that vibration feeling is more blended than pounding, however, they should go back to the original configuration of the system.  

Sonos PLEASE put the sound back in my sub - as it is what I paid for.  OR GIVE ME THE OPTION TO DO SO.   If I wanted a quiet, smoother, lower bass I would have not purchased an expensive  subwoofer  and would have just had arc and speakers.  That is why people bought the Sonos system, because we loved how it sounded originally.   I hope Sonos is listening and will provide us with the amazing system we had originally.   Also, I have the same issue with the lowered volume.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is getting ridiculous, need to petition to get 14.10 back I think. The system sounds like s***. I didn't buy into the ecosystem for them to change the whole sound profile, without having an option to revert back.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 1

Just updated to 14.14. The issue with Arc+Sub is not fixed. Anyone with better luck?

I just did the update and it sounds like my bass is gone and super flat. Don’t know what’s going on but my $2,000 and change sounds worse

Userlevel 1

I’ve had automatic updates off and just checked for an update. After reading all of this I’m thinking I’ll pass on the update.

Userlevel 7

I just performed the 14.14 update and ran Trueplay. With Trueplay enabled, the bass is still weak on the Sub, but the Sub returns to its full glory with Trueplay disabled (per Sonos’ recommendation). Volume levels have remained the same, but I didn’t experience a noticeable drop in volume with the 14.12 update like many others have reported.

I’m still very happy with my Arc/Sub/Fives setup and still think it sounds fantastic. It’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. I trust Sonos will fix the Trueplay issue with the Sub in due time and my system will sound better than ever.

Userlevel 2

14.14 Equally trash. How hard is it to just roll back to 14.10 (even save face by calling it 14.15) and work on whatever vocal improvement 14.12 was supposedly to bring in a firmware package that is actually not making your units sound like 5 dollar trash as a whole? Seriously, it’s like your entire product line adapted to Ray sound profile, which was clear vocals from a garbage tin, priced twice its’ worth. 

NEVER SPENDING A DIME ON SONOS PRODUCTS AGAIN AND EVERY ONE I UNFORTUNATELY OWN IS BEING TOSSED FROM MY HOUSEHOLD. 

I will start selling every product I own second-handed and replacing with speakers made by competent companies where I don’t need to fear my overpriced products geting tanked with every update: 1 Arc, 1 Sub, 1 Ray, 2 Symofnisks, 4 Ones, 2 Fives, 2 Moves and 1 Roam.. I had a party planned at my place, I’m renting other speakers because I don’t want anyone to have to suffer listening to this Sonos garbage right now..I hope your stock continues to plummet (wonder why) and everyone who worked on or thought 14.12 was a good idea loses their jobs then never find another one in this industry again

You should be ashamed. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I want the deep bass back!

This is a no-go, especially for hip hop and trap.

The producers try hard to make music perfect and SONOS just doesn't play the frequencies we all love.

It's ****

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It's out of order to change the sound signature and mess with everyone's settings in the app. Recall these software fiascos back to 14.10 and call it a day. No one wants changes in the sound of the sub. It sounds like they applied upcoming sub mini settings in to our sub 3 and kill all the low bass. It's sound like my old 200$ Sony soundbar now... 

It seems Sonos has released another update having the same version number but i guess the build number could be different. Can anyone confirm that please?  I did the upgrade 14.12 to 14.14 last night, but I am surprised to see another update from Sonos with the same version number. 

There hasn’t been more than one release for iOS and Mac, so far, but you do need to update both the controller and the speakers. Often takes two separate actions. 

After the 14.14 update i find the "S" within speech very pronounced? If you know what I mean? Like "sssame" if that's an example?

Can you go back an update 14.12 I hate the "ssss" effect on speech.