Sonos app crashing and showing rooms not connected but are.

• 13 December 2022
  • 86 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

86 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MichaelGG 

My last reply here was a response for everyone here who had replied since my last post, and I was trying to keep in generic. Apologies.

Regarding the app crashing, we are aware of an issue causing the app to crash when the Sonos Ray drops offline in a HT setup, and we are working on a resolution. We currently have no ETA to share. If this doesn’t match the description of the crashes (an app crash is when the app exits altogether, or completely freezes - if anything else is happening, it is not a crash) you experience, I can only recommend you touch with our technical support team - if you haven’t already done so regarding this particular issue.

We have performance metrics from our servers and from each and every Sonos system (no identifying info is used). While I have colleagues who do monitor such third-party sites as Facebook, we don’t only rely on customers actually noticing and reporting to find out if there are problems.

As for the AirPlay behaviour, I have not heard of this before, but I’ll certainly bring it to the attention of an engineer - in fact, I just heard back from said engineer that it might be related to mDNS as AirPlay uses it for local device discovery, and so do we (partially). Again, it’s probably indicative of a local network issue. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, however - I’m sure it will be useful. I’ve added a note to your existing support case to reflect this information, but this doesn’t change the status of your case, which is currently expired - you’d need to get back in touch for it to be opened again. More on this in my next reply here, coming shortly.

Please be assured that we are actively investigating this logged-in/logged-out behaviour, but have not yet identified an actual issue. When a large majority of technical issues relating to networking are due to the network, it’s necessary to carefully verify that the remaining issues are not, or further investigation is wasteful - for those customers it can be unfortunately tedious, but for the much larger majority issues are identified and usually resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All

I have one more request - could some of you please record a screen-capture video of the logged-in/logged out behaviour? Our forum won’t allow the uploading of videos, but if you could attach it to a reply to the last email you received for an existing, related technical support case and let me know here when you have done so, and I’ll forward it to our engineer buddy again. Or, upload to YouTube and paste a link here, if that’s easier for you. Thank you.

Please don’t post any case numbers or email addresses - I’ll be able to find your cases with a quick search.

Hi. I’ve had this problem for a few weeks now too.

the app is stable after a phone restart for a couple of times but soon goes back to crashing.

if I sign out of my account then the app is stable and works fine

Mine is recurring randomly pretty much daily now. I havent tried logging out of the app, but have everything else  (e.g., close/restart the app, reboot the phone, restart the router, power cycle each Sonos device, etc.) Quite frustrating after the same devices and configuration has worked flawlessly for over 2 years until recently.

Classic symptoms of IP conflicts, and rebooting the router and/or devices can exacerbate the situation if not done correctly.  These will cause sporadic connections, disappearing components, etc. To solve, reboot/power cycle each of these in order:

Modem
Router
Hubs or switches
Wired Sonos components
Wireless Sonos components
Computers, printers
Phones, tablets, all other wireless devices

Note you can prevent duplicate IP dresses by reserving a permanent IP for each Sonos unit in your router setup. See your router manual for details.

View original

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

Thanks for your post!

Unfortunately, the app cannot tell the difference between your Sonos devices being offline and it simply being unable to communicate with them. I just checked your system from the cloud and it’s all currently online.

I recommend checking which WiFi your phone is connected to, and if that’s correct, reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

Rebooting your phone and considering any recent app installs that may affect networking (like VPN software) is also worth trying.

I hope this helps.

Have you taken the actions suggested by @jgatie above?

Or followed the request posted by @Corry P ? 

Simply saying “me too” doesn’t really advance recognition of what the issue is, they need hard data. 

Just to add my experience, on a brand new two device system, newly installed S2 app. Beam (gen 2) set up two days ago and Sub mini set up yesterday. Start playing a dvd, all works as expected. If I then open the app (14.20 on iPad iOS 15.0) and I am logged in, in System - Settings it says ‘[my system name] - Not connected’. If I then navigate to System - Products, it continues to say “Not connected”. If I then try to navigate further the app crashes every time. Both devices are still operating though.

if I log out and restart the app, everything looks as expected, including the Sonos System Information section showing both devices connected. I can navigate throughout the app with no issues. If I then Sign In, the app reverts to the previous, repeatable buggy state detailed in the first paragraph.

if it matters, the sub is wired; the beam is wireless. When I’m logged in, it’s the beam that is showing as ‘not connected’. The sub shows the same connection information if I’m logged in or not logged in.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Tyeinstein .. have you done the 14.20.1  ( applies to speakers only) ? After I updated to this I have no issues.

Yeah, all 11 of my speakers are all 14.20.1. 

I am considering just “factory resetting” every single speaker and rebuilding my entire setup from scratch...maybe even with a new email address and creating a new account and everything so that there are no traces to my old account.  The issue only exists when I log into the app. If I stay “logged out” of the app, the system works perfectly (I just can’t do certain things like update the system, etc).  

It’s so annoying that I might just start from scratch and hope for the best…. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ukwvkg 

Sub or Sub Mini perform much better when not connected with an ethernet cable - especially when part of a Home Theatre setup.

If you encounter app crashes for any reason other than tapping on an unconnected Ray, please get in touch with our technical support team to document the issue. Thanks.

So *don’t* wire the sub … OK, I’ll give that a go, thanks. Wired was the only way it would complete the update(s) on setup so I just left it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Corry P .. you reply “ 

We are aware of an issue causing the Sonos app to crash when the Sonos Ray drops offline in a Home Theatre setup, and we are working on a resolution. We currently have no timescale to share.“ 

mentions only the Ray drops off line. I like others do not have the Ray but Arcs and still have the app crash at times. I’ll do a diagnostic next time and contact support but it would seem that it’s a problem bigger than when just the Ray is involved. 

I agree. I have Ones, Roam and Sub Mini and the app crashes or becomes unresponsive from time to time. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Corry P : sorry for the delay -- my computer was having a mind of its own. At any rate, I did respond to an email with link to a video showing the behavior: I started logged int and showed how the system does not show up. I then logged out, restarted the app and showed that the system that fully there and showed that it was stable across app restarts (either force restarts or just restarts). I then logged in again, showed that the system disappears pretty much right away (this is not always the case but frequently) and that it does not reappear across restarts. I logged out and tada, system back to being visible. I responded to an email from Christopher (tier 2 support).

Thanks for passing it along.

Thanks,

Romain

Have you done as requested in the post immediately before yours, so that Sonos can determine exactly what the issue is, and can create a fix?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes while I was speaking to support !!! The problem happened while I speaking to support and I submitted ti diagnostic. Their trouble shooting was very illogical and resulted is nothing. 

Your router is likely ‘lost’ in its ability to hand out IP addresses. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, and then reboot your router to reload its firmware. Give the router a couple of minutes to settle down, then plug your Sonos devices back in to power. 

Note, this is essentially exactly the same answer as given by @jgatie above. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@R C I agree I have very similar issues, I have no problems with anything else on my network just Sonos. I  too believe that there is more going on here as well. The knee jerk reaction seems to be to immediately blame the local network. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Mine too.  However, by chance….  do you run a VPN in your house?   I was having the same issue as you, but I just disconnected the VPN in my router and it appears to have fixed the issue (no crashes since I disconnected).

Now…. with that said: I’ve been running a VPN in my house for 4 years, and never had an issue with my sonos system even once….. but since I updated to 14.20.1 it seems the VPN is the cause of my system crashing.  Might be the same for you….  
wondering if something new in the 14.20 update (like the silly feature of seeing all your disconnected speakers) goes haywire with VPNs 

Thanks for your update. I really appreciate it :)

I am using Apple’s iCloud Private-Relay but this isn’t systemwide, is it? It should only be for Safari/web browsing and mail. 

Still the same issue here. Tried everything. Spoke with support twice. I don't have a Roam. When logged off in the app everything work perfectly. This is not a network issue..

Diagnostics number: 212429496

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks @BvE91! - I’ve already forwarded it to an engineer

Might be worth looking up duplicate IP addresses and IP lease renewals as a possible cause. Just because you made no changes to your network doesn’t mean that the system (your router, or other forces) didn’t. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Corry P .. I tried posting a video of the app crashing but only able to post pics.. hopefully it doesn’t persist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

Are you now able to see your rooms in the Sonos app once more?

Edit: Or rather, do they no longer show as disconnected?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Dogdad 

Are you now able to see your rooms in the Sonos app once more?

Edit: Or rather, do they no longer show as disconnected?

They show back up as connected. Then later another room or two or three show as not connected. However, all speakers are working fine when this happens. So I don’t see why it would come up on the app like this. Evidently, it’s an issue with many as it’s been posted a lot in FB Sonos group forums. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for your advice @Airgetlam greatly appreciated.

I still encourage others to share their experiences here. Thank you