Sonos app crashing and showing rooms not connected but are.

• 13 December 2022
  • 86 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

So I’m watching a Dolby Atmos movie and all is good. I happen to open the Sonos app and see rooms that say not connected and has the red dot by each. So I go to open a room that says no connection on the app and the app crashes to the iPhone Home Screen. Also, one of the rooms listed as not connected is my main tv room. But, I never lost any sound from the Arc, sub, or Ones and watched the entire movie with no interruptions.Then the bathroom room disappears on the list of my system , and two kitchens appear. Then tv room appears twice listed. Never happened before. Wondering if it’s the same on my iPad. Ideas? 

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi All

I have one more request - could some of you please record a screen-capture video of the logged-in/logged out behaviour? Our forum won’t allow the uploading of videos, but if you could attach it to a reply to the last email you received for an existing, related technical support case and let me know here when you have done so, and I’ll forward it to our engineer buddy again. Or, upload to YouTube and paste a link here, if that’s easier for you. Thank you.

Please don’t post any case numbers or email addresses - I’ll be able to find your cases with a quick search.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

86 replies

*disconnected*

im having the same issue…..all works well except the sonos app says discounted.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@106rallye  not likely when it was working fine before and since complaining on here its working normally again without me making any changes at all to my network. Coincidence maybe or maybe not. Sometimes it’s not the customers fault. 

I was not saying connection problems are the customers fault, I was saying the fact that something goes wrong after an update, especially when it is a connection problem, could also be their network. The fact that the problem seems to have corrected itself to me only points to this being the cause even more. Or do you suppose Sonos secretly corrected your system because you posted here?

All I know is that I did nothing and its all working, so I continue to ask people to share their experiences on here. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@106rallye  not likely when it was working fine before and since complaining on here its working normally again without me making any changes at all to my network. Coincidence maybe or maybe not. Sometimes it’s not the customers fault. 

I was not saying connection problems are the customers fault, I was saying the fact that something goes wrong after an update, especially when it is a connection problem, could also be their network. The fact that the problem seems to have corrected itself to me only points to this being the cause even more. Or do you suppose Sonos secretly corrected your system because you posted here?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for your advice @Airgetlam greatly appreciated.

I still encourage others to share their experiences here. Thank you

@Airgetlam tried all that also have static IP setup. If we are getting to this level of troubleshooting this product is not fit for the average consumer and Sonos need to rethink their whole strategy. The speakers sound great but if it is so complicated to use then the whole thing is setup for a really bad user experience. I am not the only one that is disappointed with Sonos just go browse the web to see more people with issues. I find it strange how one sided you are that Sonos could not be at fault here. The point I am trying to make here is that this product should not be so complicated to use and I think you are deviating away from that everytime people come up with another complex IP fix. And yes this is complicated for the average person. Thank you 

Something "not fit for the average consumer" would not be close to entering its 3rd decade of sales.  Your experience is decidedly atypical.  In the vast majority of cases, Sonos just works.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Airgetlam thanks for your advice. Thank you

Might be worth looking up duplicate IP addresses and IP lease renewals as a possible cause. Just because you made no changes to your network doesn’t mean that the system (your router, or other forces) didn’t. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Things happening “right after a Sonos update” could still be network related though: updates cause all Sonos device to reboot at roughly the same moment. Some routers do not handle this well.

Userlevel 3
Badge

R C is spot on and makes a perfect point. Sonos do not make it easy at all as my experience was not great with their support. This is an expensive premium product within this type of speaker market. It should work out of the box always without having to trawl through the internet looking for support because you feel like Sonos is not listening. I get that customer networks can cause problems but when people call out issues that happen after an update they need to listen more after all my cheap old Kmart speaker hasn’t missed a beat, it’s not in the same class as Sonos I understand this but it’s about the customer perception and experience that Sonos is clearly lacking in understanding. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I do agree that providing hard data is useful. However, having gone to the process and having been finally put in touch with a support engineer, I can also say that Sonos could make it easier. I spent many hours going through the motions with them to rule out my network. It’s frustrating after a while. Imho, it would be nice if Sonos would make it a bit easier and also trust that not all issues are attributable to local network problems. I am sure there is a mix of reasons but at least in my case and others I am sure, it was not something we did. A good indication is if something breaks after nothing changes on the customer’a side; that’s a fairly strong signal that Sonos is responsible for the issue and not the customer. In this case Sonos seems to have rolled out a new feature which clearly was not fully tested. 

Don’t know if it’s just coincidence..but as you can see when I created this subject of having the sudden issues was right after a Sonos update. Never had an issue before the update and have had Sonos for 3 years, in every room of my house. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I do agree that providing hard data is useful. However, having gone to the process and having been finally put in touch with a support engineer, I can also say that Sonos could make it easier. I spent many hours going through the motions with them to rule out my network. It’s frustrating after a while. Imho, it would be nice if Sonos would make it a bit easier and also trust that not all issues are attributable to local network problems. I am sure there is a mix of reasons but at least in my case and others I am sure, it was not something we did. A good indication is if something breaks after nothing changes on the customer’a side; that’s a fairly strong signal that Sonos is responsible for the issue and not the customer. In this case Sonos seems to have rolled out a new feature which clearly was not fully tested. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Finally seem to have resolved this issue that so many are having. I got rid of cox cable and went with AT&T fiber optics. Came with a Gateway router/ modem and 500 speed. 30 connected devices and so far hasn’t missed a beat. 

Have you taken the actions suggested by @jgatie above?

Or followed the request posted by @Corry P ? 

Simply saying “me too” doesn’t really advance recognition of what the issue is, they need hard data. 

I’m having the same issue as well. Very frustrating. Not loving Sonos these days. 

Same issue

I agree also… I have verified at the time of the issue occurrence that each Sonos device has an IP address on the router. And this is the same configuration that has previously performed flawlessly for 2+ years.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@R C I agree I have very similar issues, I have no problems with anything else on my network just Sonos. I  too believe that there is more going on here as well. The knee jerk reaction seems to be to immediately blame the local network. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I know it is easy to blame the local network setup in a lot of these situations and I am not saying that local network doesn’t cause any issues but, at least in my case and, I am sure, in other people’s cases as well, there seems to be something more going on here (ie: it’s not always a case of “you’re holding it wrong”). I still have a pending ticket with Sonos and confirmed that they were still looking into it. They believe the issue was always “there” but was made more visible recently by an app update. In my case and many others, everything outside the app works great (music plays fine, etc) so it is not always an easy problem to spot.

Your router is likely ‘lost’ in its ability to hand out IP addresses. Unplug all Sonos devices from power, and then reboot your router to reload its firmware. Give the router a couple of minutes to settle down, then plug your Sonos devices back in to power. 

Note, this is essentially exactly the same answer as given by @jgatie above. 

Badge

Having same issue.

I’ve had a stable system for well over a year…. that’s when we last changed router (it’s been fine before that too).

Then in last 24-36hrs, I have devices regularly disppearing from system and app has the red dot saying they are missing.

I can reboot everything but they then only rejoin the system randomly, not on reboot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not set up static IPs for each sonos device, and that is a good idea. In the cases where I have attempted a recovery, the order described was used.  However in my case the Sonos devices all have obtained (and retain) IP addresses on the router throughout the “failure incidents”. The only place the sonos devices disappear is in the sonos app.  

Mine is recurring randomly pretty much daily now. I havent tried logging out of the app, but have everything else  (e.g., close/restart the app, reboot the phone, restart the router, power cycle each Sonos device, etc.) Quite frustrating after the same devices and configuration has worked flawlessly for over 2 years until recently.

Classic symptoms of IP conflicts, and rebooting the router and/or devices can exacerbate the situation if not done correctly.  These will cause sporadic connections, disappearing components, etc. To solve, reboot/power cycle each of these in order:

Modem
Router
Hubs or switches
Wired Sonos components
Wireless Sonos components
Computers, printers
Phones, tablets, all other wireless devices

Note you can prevent duplicate IP dresses by reserving a permanent IP for each Sonos unit in your router setup. See your router manual for details.

View original

Mine is recurring randomly pretty much daily now. I havent tried logging out of the app, but have everything else  (e.g., close/restart the app, reboot the phone, restart the router, power cycle each Sonos device, etc.) Quite frustrating after the same devices and configuration has worked flawlessly for over 2 years until recently.