Sonos app crashing and showing rooms not connected but are.

• 13 December 2022
  • 86 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

So I’m watching a Dolby Atmos movie and all is good. I happen to open the Sonos app and see rooms that say not connected and has the red dot by each. So I go to open a room that says no connection on the app and the app crashes to the iPhone Home Screen. Also, one of the rooms listed as not connected is my main tv room. But, I never lost any sound from the Arc, sub, or Ones and watched the entire movie with no interruptions.Then the bathroom room disappears on the list of my system , and two kitchens appear. Then tv room appears twice listed. Never happened before. Wondering if it’s the same on my iPad. Ideas? 

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi All

I have one more request - could some of you please record a screen-capture video of the logged-in/logged out behaviour? Our forum won’t allow the uploading of videos, but if you could attach it to a reply to the last email you received for an existing, related technical support case and let me know here when you have done so, and I’ll forward it to our engineer buddy again. Or, upload to YouTube and paste a link here, if that’s easier for you. Thank you.

Please don’t post any case numbers or email addresses - I’ll be able to find your cases with a quick search.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

86 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I do agree that providing hard data is useful. However, having gone to the process and having been finally put in touch with a support engineer, I can also say that Sonos could make it easier. I spent many hours going through the motions with them to rule out my network. It’s frustrating after a while. Imho, it would be nice if Sonos would make it a bit easier and also trust that not all issues are attributable to local network problems. I am sure there is a mix of reasons but at least in my case and others I am sure, it was not something we did. A good indication is if something breaks after nothing changes on the customer’a side; that’s a fairly strong signal that Sonos is responsible for the issue and not the customer. In this case Sonos seems to have rolled out a new feature which clearly was not fully tested. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

This seems related to this btw: 

@Corry P : here are my diagnostics: 
  - logged in and not fully working: 281898548
  - logged out and fully working: 10793618 (for this, I logged out, quit the app and rebooted)
  - logging back in in the same app session (ie: no quitting the app) and the speakers disappearing again: 246331294

Literally did all those within 2 minutes of each other with no change to the actual sonos system. It’s eery how reproducible it is. I’ll try to contact support again with these diagnostics as well.

Sonos app is 14.20. All speakers are on 14.20.1. My devices are arc SL, One SL (2x) and sub.

if it matters, the sub is wired; the beam is wireless. 

This is a highly effective way to sabotage your system.  It would be much better to wire the Beam and not the Sub.  Failing that, don’t wire either device.

Mine is working fine now too!  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Userlevel 3
Badge

We need more people to keep coming forward so this is taken seriously . Again this morning I just wanted to play music, had to mess around with the app again just puts you off the whole experience with Sonos unfortunately. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

As a quick update: spent another 1.5h on the phone with Sonos support. More things happened but un-resolved still. I was “promoted” to level 2 support and am supposed to get a call at some point to do further troubleshooting. So, TL;DR: still no resolution but maybe at least inching closer to someone figuring it out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KiWi2106, @MichaelGG, @R C

Thanks! - I’ve forwarded your diagnostics to an engineer.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I do agree that providing hard data is useful. However, having gone to the process and having been finally put in touch with a support engineer, I can also say that Sonos could make it easier. I spent many hours going through the motions with them to rule out my network. It’s frustrating after a while. Imho, it would be nice if Sonos would make it a bit easier and also trust that not all issues are attributable to local network problems. I am sure there is a mix of reasons but at least in my case and others I am sure, it was not something we did. A good indication is if something breaks after nothing changes on the customer’a side; that’s a fairly strong signal that Sonos is responsible for the issue and not the customer. In this case Sonos seems to have rolled out a new feature which clearly was not fully tested. 

Don’t know if it’s just coincidence..but as you can see when I created this subject of having the sudden issues was right after a Sonos update. Never had an issue before the update and have had Sonos for 3 years, in every room of my house. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad & @KiWi2106 

Then please do contact technical support, if you haven’t already - I have flagged this for someone to investigate, but additional cases and diagnostics all help.

Thanks for reporting!

Userlevel 3
Badge

App crashing, unable to find your sonos system is happening to me too ever since the last update. I have followed all of the trouble shooting steps I had no issues before the update. All my speakers will be playing music and the app will no longer find my system. I do find that when the app cannot find my system if I select all the speakers and deselect them in airplay then 90% of the time the app will find the system again. But i have tried it all, static ip, I have a boost, only one wifi router, changing frequencies making sure my wifi and boost are on different frequencies. I have even called support who were no support and wanted my ISP to fix their problem. How can we as consumers promote Sonos when all these problems happen, yes I am frustrated now but I think I have a right to be. I am convinced it’s the app based on my experience and looking at this thread I am not the only one. I am at a loss now this consumes so much time you need to make your product simple to use. I don’t have any other issues on my network just Sonos. 

So, this same thing happened to me this morning. My Roam wouldn’t connect for some reason. I tried restarting it and my router. Then it started working fine, connected, and I was listening to radio grouped to my beam and surround speakers too, then everything stopped. Saying it couldn’t connect to the internet. I restarted my router again. Computer was connecting to internet fine. So was phone. But app would show the same thing as above -- speakers not connected, even though at this point I was watching TV with the surround speakers working just fine. And the Sonos app would just crash if I tried to ‘reconnect’ any of the speakers. This happened over and over again. In the end, I just shut my iPhone down completely for about a minute, then restarted. The app now doesn’t crash, shows that my speakers are connected and playing the TV and everything appears to be back to working order. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@ Sonos: Ever since updating to 14.20.1 my app keeps crashing, I am not able to see my system and I cannot start my speakers.

What happened? Please fix this, this is becoming a major nuisance and problem.

and yes, I’ve restarted both my Router and my speakers and there have been absolutely zero changes to my network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KiWi2106 @MichaelGG @R C & @BvE91 

Firstly, thank you so much for responding.

I passed your diagnostics to an engineer, and he’s reported back that in all these cases your systems/speakers are having issues with their cloud connections, which goes some way to explaining the behaviour you see - when the Sonos app is logged-out of, the app no longer uses the cloud for determining that the speakers are online, and sees them through local discovery instead.

Rebooting your system and/or router should help with this, but if you want to be as sure as possible that it’s been resolved in one attempt, please do the following:

• turn off (unplug) your Sonos devices
  • turn off your router for at least 30 seconds
  • wait for WiFi to return
  • if you have ethernet-wired Sonos devices, turn these back on first - wait for solid, white lights before continuing
  • turn on [the rest of] your Sonos system

If you still see this issue after performing these steps, I would encourage you to contact technical support for assistance in fixing the cloud-connection issue.

Obviously, this is all due to a new feature - please be assured that we are keeping a close eye on how things go with it in general, but in these cases we see the reason for the behaviour reported.

I hope this helps.

I have the same issue. Network is mixed Wi-Fi and Ethernet with some switches, but it worked perfectly before. 

Tried logging out from the Sonos account in the app and it seems to work, so probably not a network issue. 

Update: when I log in to the Sonos account again the problem reappears. 

Erik

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Corry P : thanks for this. Unfortunately, at least for me, I have rebooted so many times I lost track. We tried wired, wireless, rebooting only some devices, rebooting the router, etc. The explanation makes sense but it still does not explain why the speakers can’t connect to the cloud. I went through all this with sonos support. You say this is a new feature, when did it appear? It was definitely working fine at some point soi am curious to know what new feature you are referring to. Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Corry P : Thank you! I followed your instructions - let’s see how it goes.

I have to say prior to the last update the Sonos experience was next to perfect - I had zero issues with the app and the sound was extraordinary. I really hope Sonos will bring it back up to par. 

@Corry P : thanks for this. Unfortunately, at least for me, I have rebooted so many times I lost track. We tried wired, wireless, rebooting only some devices, rebooting the router, etc. The explanation makes sense but it still does not explain why the speakers can’t connect to the cloud. I went through all this with sonos support. You say this is a new feature, when did it appear? It was definitely working fine at some point soi am curious to know what new feature you are referring to. Thanks!

See @Corry P’s reply on page 1 of this topic.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Unable to connect to my system, app crashed.

Diagnostics number: 127063552

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All

We are aware of an issue causing the Sonos app to crash when the Sonos Ray drops offline in a Home Theatre setup, and we are working on a resolution. We currently have no timescale to share.

If you are experiencing crashes of the app under any other circumstances, please get in touch with our technical support team for the issue to be documented.

If a speaker is displayed as offline in the app when it is clearly online (can play music via voice, for example) then there is an issue on your network that is preventing the speaker from reporting back to the app properly. Again, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, though I’d certainly try a reboot of your router first.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @Corry P for passing this information to your team, hopefully these issues can be resolved soon. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not set up static IPs for each sonos device, and that is a good idea. In the cases where I have attempted a recovery, the order described was used.  However in my case the Sonos devices all have obtained (and retain) IP addresses on the router throughout the “failure incidents”. The only place the sonos devices disappear is in the sonos app.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Corry P thanks for your reply and checking. Why would the app crash and go to iPhone Home Screen? 

I’m having the same issue as well. Very frustrating. Not loving Sonos these days. 

I am having literally the same issue.  I just spent over an hour with Sonos support and they still couldn’t figure out the issue.  I have had the same “setup” for years (same router, same speakers).  But recently, the system on the app completely crashes.  It will say that a whole bunch of speakers are “not connected” (in fact, most of not all of them) even though the speakers are operating just fine and still playing music, etc. 

Interestingly enough:  The system works 100% FINE (all speakers identified, all speakers and rooms working as normal) if I “LOG OUT” of the app (ie, connect to the system but just stay logged out of the app).  It’s only when I LOG INTO the app does the entire system (on the app) crash and say “NOT CONNECTED” with a red symbol beside it.

I suspect this is a systematic bug in the Sonos system and that it will need to be patched if enough of us complain. 

To be clear:  as long as I use the system while not logged into the app, the system is 100% fine (every speaker, every zone works perfectly).  It’s only when I log “INTO” the app that the app goes haywire and says every speaker is NOT CONNECTED.

Very strange.

This is what my system looks like when I log in (it says a ton of speakers are NOT CONNECTED, even though they are and working fine)

AND here is the same system as long as I just “log out” of the app:  Every speaker in every zone in my house works 100% perfectly.

​​​

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Finally seem to have resolved this issue that so many are having. I got rid of cox cable and went with AT&T fiber optics. Came with a Gateway router/ modem and 500 speed. 30 connected devices and so far hasn’t missed a beat.