Sonos app crashing and showing rooms not connected but are.

• 13 December 2022
  • 86 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

86 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

R C is spot on and makes a perfect point. Sonos do not make it easy at all as my experience was not great with their support. This is an expensive premium product within this type of speaker market. It should work out of the box always without having to trawl through the internet looking for support because you feel like Sonos is not listening. I get that customer networks can cause problems but when people call out issues that happen after an update they need to listen more after all my cheap old Kmart speaker hasn’t missed a beat, it’s not in the same class as Sonos I understand this but it’s about the customer perception and experience that Sonos is clearly lacking in understanding. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Things happening “right after a Sonos update” could still be network related though: updates cause all Sonos device to reboot at roughly the same moment. Some routers do not handle this well.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@106rallye  not likely when it was working fine before and since complaining on here its working normally again without me making any changes at all to my network. Coincidence maybe or maybe not. Sometimes it’s not the customers fault. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey,

I am experiencing the same issue. I do have an iPhone SE 2020 and the app keeps crashing, it will show my system as not connected even though upon restarting it a couple of times the system will reappear. It‘s been a real problem ever since updating to 14.20. Please fix the app - the problem is clearly on your side and not on our network. 

I agree with KiWi2106 - if I restart the app enough times eventually the speakers will all show as connected….but I have to restart the app about 10-15 times to finally get it.  More often than not, if I just open the app, it shows every speaker as “NOT CONNECTED”

however, as soon as I “log out” of the app, everything shows up as connected perfectly. 

very strange issue, but just started since 14.20 so hopefully someone is working on this issue… we can’t be the only ones! 

Badge

Having same issue.

I’ve had a stable system for well over a year…. that’s when we last changed router (it’s been fine before that too).

Then in last 24-36hrs, I have devices regularly disppearing from system and app has the red dot saying they are missing.

I can reboot everything but they then only rejoin the system randomly, not on reboot.

@Tyeinstein, It may suffice to reboot the router followed by all of your Sonos devices.

Yeah, all 11 of my speakers are all 14.20.1. 

I am considering just “factory resetting” every single speaker and rebuilding my entire setup from scratch...maybe even with a new email address and creating a new account and everything so that there are no traces to my old account.  The issue only exists when I log into the app. If I stay “logged out” of the app, the system works perfectly (I just can’t do certain things like update the system, etc).  

It’s so annoying that I might just start from scratch and hope for the best…. 

Don't factory reset, it does nothing to help that a reboot won't do.  

Your symptoms are classic indications of duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note you can prevent this from happening again by reserving IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router setup.  See your router manual for instructions.

Thank you, both.  I’ll try doing that again.  I have already tried unplugging the modem, router, and every single speaker and maybe more slowly (one by one) plugging everything in that sequence.  It didn’t work for me before, but perhaps need to do it slower.

the only thing that worries me is that the system does in fact work completely fine, but only when I’m signed out of the App.  If I’m signed out, every single speaker and system works as it always has.  It’s just when I “log into” my account in the app does everything go “NOT CONNECTED”, which is why I think it’s a problem with my sonos account itself somehow, not my IP addresses or system.  But I will try before I reset everything and set up a new sonos account.

just very strange the system would work fine when I log out, just crashes when I log in 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Corry P .. you reply “ 

We are aware of an issue causing the Sonos app to crash when the Sonos Ray drops offline in a Home Theatre setup, and we are working on a resolution. We currently have no timescale to share.“ 

mentions only the Ray drops off line. I like others do not have the Ray but Arcs and still have the app crash at times. I’ll do a diagnostic next time and contact support but it would seem that it’s a problem bigger than when just the Ray is involved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KiWi2106 & @Tyeinstein - but also anyone else affected,

Could anyone who experiences an issue whereby rooms report being disconnected only when logged into the app please submit a support diagnostic after recreating the issue (being logged out and logged in) and report the given number here? Thank you.

Same issue

Hi, I am having the exact same issues. I have a super simple setup. No ray, vpn or anything. I have a Move, two One speakers, a boost, bar, sun and two surround speakers.  It literally just started doing this today. The Sonos One speakers no longer activate Alexa, and none of the speakers are connected in the app.  When I try to click on one of the speakers, the app crashes. 

it just seems odd that SO many people are having this issue. There must be something going on. 

Anyone that can provide assistance?  

I am having the same issue - checked all sonos devices connected to router -- same as phone using sonos app.  It is the same configuration  that has been used successfully daily for ~2+ years. Randomly lately, the app cant find devices and appears same as posted earlier in this post. Even though the sonos devices were verified to be connected to the router (have IP address etc),  I tried disconnecting / reconnecting, resetting router, etc., to try to recover the system functionality.  Issue did not resolve during several subsequent hours attempting recovery.  The next day, the issue did recover without further actions.    This is the second or third occurrence of this type of failure in the last few weeks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

At least for me, this is still being looked at by support. They asked me for much more detailed logging and what not and am waiting to hear back. I hope this is fixed soon!

Thanks. Me too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

I don’t know - that’s pretty unusual behaviour. I presume it had to do with trying to open the settings of a room that’s “disconnected”, but that shouldn’t have caused the app to exit. Nothing in the app is likely to be able to fix whatever caused this to happen, however, so I don’t recommend spending too much troubleshooting time in the app other than to check if rooms are connecting to it again.

This really looks like a networking issue, though I presume nothing has changed or you would have mentioned it - hence the recommended reboot of the router. If you have a single, ethernet-wired Sonos product, please try a reboot of that too, after rebooting the router.

If your network topology consists of anything other than just a router, please let me know.

I hope this helps.

Mine too.  However, by chance….  do you run a VPN in your house?   I was having the same issue as you, but I just disconnected the VPN in my router and it appears to have fixed the issue (no crashes since I disconnected).

Now…. with that said: I’ve been running a VPN in my house for 4 years, and never had an issue with my sonos system even once….. but since I updated to 14.20.1 it seems the VPN is the cause of my system crashing.  Might be the same for you….  
wondering if something new in the 14.20 update (like the silly feature of seeing all your disconnected speakers) goes haywire with VPNs 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I know it is easy to blame the local network setup in a lot of these situations and I am not saying that local network doesn’t cause any issues but, at least in my case and, I am sure, in other people’s cases as well, there seems to be something more going on here (ie: it’s not always a case of “you’re holding it wrong”). I still have a pending ticket with Sonos and confirmed that they were still looking into it. They believe the issue was always “there” but was made more visible recently by an app update. In my case and many others, everything outside the app works great (music plays fine, etc) so it is not always an easy problem to spot.

Userlevel 3
Badge

“Unable to connect to sonos” and then crashed again

Diagnostics number 1920072242

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Airgetlam thanks for your advice. Thank you

@Airgetlam tried all that also have static IP setup. If we are getting to this level of troubleshooting this product is not fit for the average consumer and Sonos need to rethink their whole strategy. The speakers sound great but if it is so complicated to use then the whole thing is setup for a really bad user experience. I am not the only one that is disappointed with Sonos just go browse the web to see more people with issues. I find it strange how one sided you are that Sonos could not be at fault here. The point I am trying to make here is that this product should not be so complicated to use and I think you are deviating away from that everytime people come up with another complex IP fix. And yes this is complicated for the average person. Thank you 

Something "not fit for the average consumer" would not be close to entering its 3rd decade of sales.  Your experience is decidedly atypical.  In the vast majority of cases, Sonos just works.

I agree also… I have verified at the time of the issue occurrence that each Sonos device has an IP address on the router. And this is the same configuration that has previously performed flawlessly for 2+ years.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Corry P Thanks for the feedback.  For the last 3 days the Sonos app has improved and has been connecting for about 90% of the time.  I have made no changes to my network at all over this time as I have been too busy and had just given up but I did notice an improvement. I have also tried the steps you mention above countless times which makes no difference. One thing that I have noticed is that when the Sonos app tries to connect and fails I go to airplay on my phone I select 2 speakers and then deselect them and then the Sonos app will instantly find my system. This is why I believe that there is a problem with the app and Sonos cloud and that this is not a local issue. I still experience immediate app crashing when the app is opened on some occasions. There isn’t even anytime for the app to find the system as it crashes instantly, another reason why I believe the Sonos app has problems.  

I’d also like to add that if my local network had issues I would also expect other devices etc to have issues however it is only the the Sonos system that has issues on my network nothing else - and yes I have trouble shooted by turning off other devices in case of interference and this makes no difference. 

There has definitely been something that has changed that has caused all these Sonos performance issues as up until recently I didn’t have these issues. You have mentioned that there is a new feature that you are monitoring, can you please explain this further?

I appreciate your efforts so far but based on my experience that I have tried to articulate as best as I can above I still feel that there are issues with the Sonos app/cloud that is causing these problems and I hope that your engineering team is still trying to fix these issues that are impacting Sonos users. 

Thanks 

I am having the exact same issue after years of no issues. I tried rebooting and even a factory reset of all my devices. When I am not logged in the app everything works fine too.. It must be something with the app.

However, my Alexa devices also say “sorry something is wrong” since the issue started. I wonder if this is because of my sonos devices being connected to Alexa…

Everything else in house works fine. High internet speed and good signal. I did not change any router changes.