Sonos app crashing and showing rooms not connected but are.

• 13 December 2022
  • 86 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

86 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

I’m glad to hear things have improved.

It’s an issue with many networks, yes. You said it yourself - the speakers still work, so are clearly still connected. Therefore, for some reason, communications between your phone and your Sonos system are being partially blocked.

Aside from possible topological concerns, there could be a source of multicast flooding on your network - if so, certain packets may be unable to reach their intended target, resulting in what you see.

Assigning static IP addresses to your permanently-connected devices may improve matters.

If you do have a single, ethernet-wired Sonos device, it may be worth changing the ethernet cable - an unstable connection due to a damaged cable could also produce such results.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - it’s better than guessing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@106rallye  not likely when it was working fine before and since complaining on here its working normally again without me making any changes at all to my network. Coincidence maybe or maybe not. Sometimes it’s not the customers fault. 

I was not saying connection problems are the customers fault, I was saying the fact that something goes wrong after an update, especially when it is a connection problem, could also be their network. The fact that the problem seems to have corrected itself to me only points to this being the cause even more. Or do you suppose Sonos secretly corrected your system because you posted here?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Corry P ..thanks for your response.. I still wonder on the timing if this with the 14.20 update. And what exactly does the 14.20.1 do or fix? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@106rallye  not likely when it was working fine before and since complaining on here its working normally again without me making any changes at all to my network. Coincidence maybe or maybe not. Sometimes it’s not the customers fault. 

I was not saying connection problems are the customers fault, I was saying the fact that something goes wrong after an update, especially when it is a connection problem, could also be their network. The fact that the problem seems to have corrected itself to me only points to this being the cause even more. Or do you suppose Sonos secretly corrected your system because you posted here?

All I know is that I did nothing and its all working, so I continue to ask people to share their experiences on here. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dogdad 

I think the main change was adding French to Sonos Voice Control.

You may well have a point, however:

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

Current software version

Release date: 12/6/2022

In this update:

• Sonos Voice Control is now available in French.

• Sonos products will now show a status message in the System tab or the Settings menus when they’re offline. We’ll be rolling this change out to all users over a few days after release.
    • Products that are offline or disconnected will no longer disappear from the app. Instead, they’ll show a “not connected” status message. Tapping the name of the product will launch in-app help to get it reconnected. Learn more.
    • Portable Sonos products will let you know if they’re in sleep mode, powered off, or if the battery has been depleted.
    • If a product is disconnected and you’d like to hide it from the app, you can do so under the product’s menu in Settings System.

• Roam has two new Bluetooth settings which can be enabled in your Roam’s settings page.
    • Idle Auto-Disconnect will disconnect the Roam from its Bluetooth device after an idle period of 30 minutes.
    • Always Auto-Connect will connect your Roam to its most recent Bluetooth device when it detects it nearby.

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Apologies - I didn’t quite catch on to the fact that you were, in part, reacting to the new behaviour from the app regarding disconnected devices (or ones from which no response has been received, for whatever reason, as is your case).

So the fact that you can see disconnected devices in the app is now expected behaviour, but the fact that they are showing as disconnected is not, if you get my meaning - you will now be shown that devices are missing, but that’s obviously not what we want to see. In addition, the app should clearly not have crashed when tapping on a “disconnected” device to attempt to fix the problem. My advice regarding what may be causing the issue remains, however, and still applies. Please do contact our technical support team to not only investigate the issue with your network, but also to document the app’s unwanted behaviour - at this stage of a new feature’s roll-out, it really would be most helpful. Thank you.

If you still have the video of the crash that you tried to post here, tech support will find it very useful, I’m sure.

I hope this helps.

im having the same issue…..all works well except the sonos app says discounted.. 

*disconnected*

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All,

The new feature I was referring to is the fact that disconnected rooms now show as being disconnected in the app, rather than disappearing entirely.

I understand that this is frustrating, and that many of you have already tried the steps I outlined above - but, if those steps don’t work, and if we’re unable to repair your cloud connectivity, then that may be indicative of an underlying issue that will need cases with documented steps taken to move discovery forward.

Or, it may be that you were already experiencing these connection issues but it was not previously apparent due to the old app behaviour. I don’t have access to the metrics, but I’m sure if there’s an uptick in connection issues, we’re on the case.

Thank you all.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Corry P I am not convinced by your response at all, you have also not even acknowledged everything that I have put in my post above. Particularly the app immediately crashing and how selecting speakers in airplay helps the app to find my system. 

In regards to your comment about an uptick in connection issues, you would probably find that if you went out on another wider platform like Facebook (that is if you haven’t already) and asked for feedback there would be a greater response than relying on this thread which is not easy to find and only targets a small proportion of your customers who have the ability and time to trouble shoot like the users above have. Also my experience when contacting Sonos support is that it is too easy to blame everything on the customers network and not actually dig deeper into the issue so there may be more users impacted than you may think.

So I can’t say that I am a happy Sonos customer and I hope that you are doing more to fix these stability issues on your platform.

Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @R C 

Thanks for that - I’ll forward your case details.

Mine is recurring randomly pretty much daily now. I havent tried logging out of the app, but have everything else  (e.g., close/restart the app, reboot the phone, restart the router, power cycle each Sonos device, etc.) Quite frustrating after the same devices and configuration has worked flawlessly for over 2 years until recently.