Answered

Spotify artist search not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

288 replies

Badge

I’m having this issue now, it seems it happened to me about a month after most people first reported it. If I use the “artist” workaround it does work 

Hi from New Zealand,

Exactly the same issue here for about 6 days. Tried re-install, disconnect and reconnect to Spotify, etc, etc. No good.

Thanks for the workarounds but I would prefer to be able to search by artist.

Thanks in advance.

T

Same here, since yesterday. Artist search does not work on my S1 again. Same issue as 6 weeks ago....

Why is sonos app not returnIng search results from Spotify? Have re-installed both apps?

It’s the Spotify server not responding to the request from the Sonos controller. Spotify ‘fixed’ it once, then regressed their ‘fix’. We are all waiting for the to ‘re-fix’ it. 

Is there nobody from Sonos that can reply to this issue?   Clearly this impacting a huge number of customers.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Same issue - S1 controller on iPhone and MAC does not return Spotify search by artist results; reset controller and reauthorised Spotify accounts.  No resolution.  Search by Album title, song etc work fine… only just noticed in last day...

Can confirm that, at least for me on v1, enclosing the search term in double quotes fixes Spotify search. It works for both single name artists like "sting" and multiple like "tony Allen". It also doesn't seem to impact any of the other services search.

For anyone coming to this thread now. Above is a work-around.

New app and FW updates this morning; no change to the search issue. System generally seems to have slowed a bit too - any service other than Sonos Radio is slow to respond to search queries.

I am having this exact problem still. Live in Sweden. Only when searching in the artist category in the sonos app. Same problem in both versions of apps.

Any solution?

Userlevel 1

Hi this is happening in Scotland as well. Been a problem for a few weeks and no artists searches showing any Spotify results. Weirdly if you search for an album it come up. This is using S1 app. 

Another good reason to bin evil streaming services like Spotify!! (Mostly due to a small number of companies taking all the profits from a digital networking set up rather than fairly sharing with the artists who make the creative music). I’m sure this will be replaced by a fair solution in the long term future and Spotify will be a past history and die a death. It deserves to. 

Most of my files are on a NAS & high quality so rarely need to use it. However Incredible that this is unsolved a month later 

@Corry P - Same issue using my Sonos 1. Spoke to customer service which provided a work around( using Spotify to play through connected devices) , but no indication as when this glitch would be resolved. Have tried reinstalling Sonos and Spotify accounts, re-authorising Spotify but to no use. I’m based in Scotland and will echo previous comments that it a long time to have been unresolved.

Badge

I am experiencing same issue. Has Sonos been in touch with Spotify to try and resolve this annoying issue?

Same issue here, in U.S.A., S1 PC controller 11.10.1. No results in Spotify artist search. The workaround works for me.

Badge

Can confirm that, at least for me on v1, enclosing the search term in double quotes fixes Spotify search. It works for both single name artists like "sting" and multiple like "tony Allen". It also doesn't seem to impact any of the other services search.

Yes can confirm this “fixed” it

Yes can confirm this “fixed” it

Great! I’ve had this issue for a month now and it’s been driving me nuts. This tip worked :)

Now, I need to figure out why we can’t upgrade software directly from sonos mac app anymore. Have to go through IOS and then manually download the MAC OS S2 app afterwards. 

Let’s GO Sonos...So much buggy shit that you are turning into Adobe 😂

Desktop and Android app have started telling me "spotify returned no results for _____ in artists. Please try a different category or a new search term" this morning. Has replicated on multiple devices. Only happens for Spotify and only in "artists", albums and playlist search still works. Any idea if I changed a setting or if something is wrong on their end?

I’ve reset the speakers and restarted the apps.

It’s a bug, learned this a week ago from tech support. Or you can call is an “un-requested feature”.

App needs a major overhaul, been looking at the same GUI for 10 years now.

All desktop (windows/Mac) controllers are in maintenance mode only now. 

Also happening over here in Australia. From what I've read in the last couple of pages Spotify implemented a fix, then withdrew the fix, presumably to fix the fix.

It's a complicated world out there, trying to mesh all this smart * together and have it all communicate seamlessly.

I'll wait patiently for Spotify to fix the fix..

Let me know if we need any diagnostics? 

I moved from a private account to family account, and only my original account still worked on artist search. Now none of our accounts do. I can only use the s1 controller as some of my products don't communicate with s2

The "artist" search will have to do for now.

Sonos still worth every penny, even the older gear is great.. a fix will come... 🤞

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Same problem in Denmark. Thank’s for sharing workaround with quotes - it was so frustrating not being able to search an artist. Tried re-adding app and rebooting Sonos without success.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Gosh... quotation marks.... 😊

As I mentioned to Sonos before, I don't understand why Sonos NEVER communicates with me directly about problems. It would be so easy to communicate through the app’s message interface, rather than always using it for ads. They could say: 'Dear Sonos user, we've discovered that the artist search is not working properly when using Spotify in the Sonos app. For now, please use a workaround: include quotation marks around the artist name. We are actively working on a solution and apologize for the inconvenience.'

Instead, whenever there are problems, Sonos users are forced to search on Google and locate some thread—like this one. It would be SO easy for Sonos to provide this basic PROACTIVE customer service.

Sadly, the “work around” doesn't work for artists that already have double quotes in the name. Its impossible to search for "Weird Al" Yankovic! And I'm sure he would take this personally! 

Dear Sonos staff,

I have the same problem, I'm using S1.

Would you confirm that the problem is acknowledged and being solved?

Thank you

Hi @conor 

Thanks for reporting! We have been unable to reproduce this issue, but have only tested from within Europe which could easily be a factor.

If removing your Spotify account from Sonos and adding it back again does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who, if unable to fix it, will at least be able to flag it for investigation after going through some basic troubleshooting steps.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps.

I removed and re-added spotify from my system, but this error persists.

seach by song album playlist return Spotify results.  Searching by artist returns result for other devices but not for Spotify.