Answered

Spotify artist search not working

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Desktop and Android app have started telling me "spotify returned no results for _____ in artists. Please try a different category or a new search term" this morning. Has replicated on multiple devices. Only happens for Spotify and only in "artists", albums and playlist search still works. Any idea if I changed a setting or if something is wrong on their end?

I’ve reset the speakers and restarted the apps.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 29 August 2023, 11:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

288 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @conor 

Thanks for reporting! We have been unable to reproduce this issue, but have only tested from within Europe which could easily be a factor.

If removing your Spotify account from Sonos and adding it back again does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who, if unable to fix it, will at least be able to flag it for investigation after going through some basic troubleshooting steps.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps.

I removed and re-added spotify from my system, but this error persists.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can confirm that, at least for me on v1, enclosing the search term in double quotes fixes Spotify search. It works for both single name artists like "sting" and multiple like "tony Allen". It also doesn't seem to impact any of the other services search.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @conor et al

We believe this issue has, again, been resolved and we can no longer reproduce it in our own testing. If you do continue to see this issue, however, please get in touch with our technical support team to report as much. Thank you.

Userlevel 1

I have this issue as well. No settings have been changed. Sonos - please advise.

Userlevel 1

Asked a person in IT who got it to work again by putting a quotation mark, followed by the search name and then another quotation mark eg “Coldplay”. Until they fix it, it has to have the double quote marks “ ... “ either side of the search word.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, this is a Sonos issue. Their link with Spotify is a core function/dependency of their business model. Sonos is peripheral to Spotify. Unless Spotify is deliberately blocking Sonos (which they of course are not), it is the responsibility of Sonos staff to resolve, rather than passing off the problem to their customers (reinstall this, reboot that, contact Spotify it’s their problem…). Please sort this out Sonos - it is your responsibility. Personally, I spend my much of my time at work resolving problems caused by others. When I get home I want the luxury items I’ve invested hard-earned cash in, to just work, so I can enjoy them and relax, rather than having these things present problems for me to solve. 

We just do not know. As I understand  it Sonos’ API opens up it’s systems to Spotify - that is responsible for connecting to the API. So we do not know who needs to resolve this. Sonos says both parties are working on a solution though……

Userlevel 1

Issue appears fixed.  Thanks Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Gosh... quotation marks.... 😊

As I mentioned to Sonos before, I don't understand why Sonos NEVER communicates with me directly about problems. It would be so easy to communicate through the app’s message interface, rather than always using it for ads. They could say: 'Dear Sonos user, we've discovered that the artist search is not working properly when using Spotify in the Sonos app. For now, please use a workaround: include quotation marks around the artist name. We are actively working on a solution and apologize for the inconvenience.'

Instead, whenever there are problems, Sonos users are forced to search on Google and locate some thread—like this one. It would be SO easy for Sonos to provide this basic PROACTIVE customer service.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Mmm, seems better now? Can’t get it to fail in any app for any artist.

Mine’s still not working

Userlevel 1

I’ve just contacted Sonos.

There is still an issue for S1 and S2.

From Sonos

We are aware of this issue, and we are actively working with Spotify to find a solution as soon as possible, there is no time frame to share right now for a resolution. As a workaround you can use Spotify connect to connect the Spotify app with the Sonos speakers. 

For S2 users they also suggest putting the artist name in  “ quotes” 

I’ve S1 and if I spell the full name of the artist correctly  - the S2 workaround , works for me. It doesn’t work for partial names.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Although we have still been unable to reproduce this issue in our own testing, there is a growing number of related cases. Several people, including myself, brought the issue up in a meeting this morning - please be assured that it’s not being ignored.

Of course, had no-one got in touch, there would be no cases, so thank you to everyone who did get in touch, and I encourage anyone who is affected and hasn’t already been in touch to do so.

Userlevel 1

I have same issue - Based in Ireland. S1 app. Everything works apart form Artists category

Would appreciate an update team Sonos… clearly an issue for many! 

Sorry, this is a Sonos issue. Their link with Spotify is a core function/dependency of their business model. Sonos is peripheral to Spotify. Unless Spotify is deliberately blocking Sonos (which they of course are not), it is the responsibility of Sonos staff to resolve, rather than passing off the problem to their customers (reinstall this, reboot that, contact Spotify it’s their problem…). Please sort this out Sonos - it is your responsibility. Personally, I spend my much of my time at work resolving problems caused by others. When I get home I want the luxury items I’ve invested hard-earned cash in, to just work, so I can enjoy them and relax, rather than having these things present problems for me to solve. 

What did the technical support team say when you contacted them?

Still having the same issue. Sonos S1. No artist results in spotify for any search. 

Thanks for your response!

For your replication attempts: this occurs for us on a S1 system, located in Germany, everything updated, with Spotify (single user premium account). Artist search fails on Android and Iphone devices as well as on desktop app in Windows 11. Interestingly, I’m getting not a single hit (artist, album etc) when searching amazon on desktop app on Windows 11, while I get normal search results on Iphone when doing the same search (“beatles”, “christmas”.) This started 5 days ago.

Badge

Just updated my Sonos software to have this bug appear. Here’s an idea Sonos: Since you do so many app updates, why don’t you fix this apparently longstanding and annoying issue?

If I search for ”<artist name>” and spell the artist name correct it seems to work. Like ”Elton John”, but extremely annoying

Can confirm that, at least for me on v1, enclosing the search term in double quotes fixes Spotify search. It works for both single name artists like "sting" and multiple like "tony Allen". It also doesn't seem to impact any of the other services search.

For anyone coming to this thread now. Above is a work-around.

@controlav , apologies if this has already been covered, but can you explain how it’s a Spotify issue? It’s not a problem for me within Spotify, only when trying to search Artists in Spotify within the Sonos app. Thank you in advance for your explanation for a non-tech-savvy user! 

Each service is responsible for their own implementation using the Sonos API (SMAPI).  Regardless of what  is or is not working in the Spotify app, Spotify is in control of all content shown, and how it is shown, inside the Sonos app. 

Typing artist name with double quotation marks works for me, too. Thanks @Bejanss

Still, am I the only one who is flabbergasted that SONOS doesn’t seem to undertake any action to fix this with Spotify, or provide any communication to their users? Regardless whether this may be a Spotify issue, it creates a bad user experience with the SONOS app and a lot of customer aggravation.

Spotify is by far the most important music provider to the platform. Yet, SONOS doesn’t seem to care whether or not you can play music over their system and their IT support tells people essentially “not our problem, sort it out with Spotify yourself” (based on some of the input above) 😕

If there’s a problem with the Google Maps connection in a car’s navigation system (due to Google, not the car manufacturer), I assure you the car manufacturer makes it a top priority to get in touch with Google and informs their customers they’re working on it - with apologies. No way they would say, “Why don’t you sort it out with Google yourself?”

Badge

This started happening for me the other day, pretty sure after I upgraded to the latest version. MacOS desktop SONOS controller app. I have included screenshots below of attempting to search for artists and albums in both Spotify and Amazon Music.  In Spotify, I can reproduce the problem in this thread, where searching by artist fails even for unmistakably correct input. My example search was for “eminem”. I tried others as well, and each time, the artist results are blank but the album and playlist search work.  I have no problem playing Spotify on my Sonos on any system (Fives, Ones, etc)

SONOS OS: S2 Version 15.6 Build 74043110

Spotify: Searching for “eminem” found nothing under artist.

Spotify: Album Search for “eminem” works.

Spotify: Playlist search for “eminem” works

Amazon Music: Searching for “eminem” under Artist works.

Badge

Yep, me too - exactly the same symptoms, started this morning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am using Sonos S2 - on both  an Android device and a Mac Pro.

The Artist search in Spotify does not work on either.

I have reinstalled Sonos and Spotify on my Mac. and reauthorised Spotify,,,no joy,

Diagnostic sent to Sonos. No Joy.

Please help!

Switch to New Search (on Android), that seems better for many.