Answered

Sonos Connect can no longer play music after Synology SMB update

Show first post

96 replies

Badge

Collecting becomes pointless without smart playlists and browsing indices, that enable shrinking the collection to a smaller scale when the mood requires, eg.
* just albums that I have not heard for a year and a half
* or jazz albums that I brought in the last 2 years, which I have played less than 5 times

My app:
* detects and identifies everything I play on Sonos, and separates it from tracks played by other household members
* it aggregates these plays, with tracks that it has identified that I have played, away from home, on non-Sonos equipment
* all play data is fed into a MediaMonkey database, from which I can browse, and|or publish album level playlists for use in Sonos and elsewhere, or to sync albums into my mobile devices.

What app are you using? I’ve been looking for an app that would play my latest additions to the music collection for years! Smart lists that play tracks I’ve never listened to and random lists that exclude certain tracks I don’t like but I don’t delete to keep the album complete.

Or did you write your own personal app?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

In the meantime I have been able to plug a USB flash drive into my router and have been able to point my Connect to that.

spent almost 1hr on phone top sonos, in the end just said synology firmeware issue with above 7.0 version, call them to help you roll back from version 7.2 which i am on..

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No currently sold Sonos has any need for SMB v1, some of the older gear that has too little internal memory for the new Linux and SMB system still, and likely always will, have that need though.

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As more of us who use a NAS (Synology in my case) to supply our Music Library’s to our SONOS Systems discover access is now denied, we are again faced with the unintended results of updates that have rendered our systems useless in this way..

Would anyone in the community help those of us who are not familiar and/or comfortable in performing what appears to be a solution using PuTTY?

Having been through this before with similar issues, we need a clearly written STEP by Step Instructional detailing how to perform the Uninstall of the problematic SMB Version using PuTTy.

Screen Captures of each step would be a great addition to its procedure.

I know we would be grateful for anyone who has experience (and success!) in performing this modification in having a method to do this that anyone could attempt.

Thanks all….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos technical engineers may take more care about the old users of Sonos. They may tell us why S1 cannot support SMBv2 or SMBv3. Is it a hardware problem or just they think S1 should be knocked out?

It has been discussed often, the S1 hardware does not have enough memory for the newer Linux kernel or Samba SMB application.

Hi Ivo,

this is just my opinion, but I don’t believe that Sonos have any intention of fixing this issue.

They have long claimed that the early Sonos units have insufficient memory to allow upgrade to the more secure version of the s/w component that is causing the connection problem.

I don’t know if this is factual, but anyway they have long since stopped upgrading their S1 controller. My guess is that the latest “upgrade” is just another downgrade, ie. it removes the capability to play local tracks, on an android device, to your Sonos units.

The connection “problem” has been with us for a long time. Previously the Sonos Apologists in this forum have said that it is not a real-world problem, and that it can be readily worked around. In the past I have asked for the recipe for that workaround, but I have not seen any response to that.

What has happened now is that Synology, unlike the Sonos S1 controller, have continued evolving their package. They have zero interest is leaving their units open to exploitation, and they have follow best practice to protect their reputation and their customers’ data.

I don’t to know enough to understand exactly how serious this problem is. You can research it yourself by searching  “smb1 vulnerability”. 

eg “Do NOT use SMBv1. SMB1 lacks encryption, is inefficient, and has been exploited in the wild by ransomware attacks.” from here

The Sonos S1 controller uses SMB1

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Duncan

Thank you so much.  Having wasted an hour on the Sonos Helpdesk and 4 days waiting for Synology to respond, this has worked first time.    Your help in sharing your solution is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

As a guess, the Synology update turned off SMBv1.

It’s still there and active but I get the “Access is denied…check the username and/or password” error.

Other S2 products (using the same connection credentials) work just fine,

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Got the exact same issue here. Been using Sonos for 10+ years and have no reason to ditch my Play 5 speakers for new ones….. I think this issue is really annoying and think that Sonos and Synology ought to have a chat and fix this very soon. Don't wanna downgrade my SMB since the upgrade must be there for a reason…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@DuncanF, I noticed a typo in your fix.

It should be sudo -i (a space after sudo).  Could you edit original post?

Hope this helps others.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not sure atm, but try this instead?

Thanks, this works for me!

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Thanks DuncanF, your tip worked great for me - all Sonos nodes old and new now present and correct!

YES!  You brilliant man, DuncanF!!  THANK YOU!!!

Userlevel 1

sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService

Duncan

Thank you so much.  Having wasted an hour on the Sonos Helpdesk and 4 days waiting for Synology to respond, this has worked first time.    Your help in sharing your solution is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Worked for me. thanks very much!

Hi Stan,

thanks for your workaround recipe. That’s what I was looking for.

I don’t currently have my NAS at risk, because I use the workaround that I posted earlier in this thread, ie. I queue to my older Sonos units by grouping them behind newer model Sonos zones. It works, but it is limiting.

As it happens I do have a Raspberry Pi with Samba etc, that I use to monitor and obtain my Sonos system activities. I am not too Linux literate, but I should be able to work through your posts and get your work around going. If I have difficulty, I will get back you via the comments section over at the platform where you published your blog. Thanks!

I did suspect that something could be done using the Rpi, but I didn’t grasp the mechanics of it.

I would migrate to S2, but enjoyment of my Sonos system is dependant upon my s/w which subscribes to events published by the UPnP backbone in the Sonos controller.  The company don’t support community activities at that level, and they don’t allow for the backing out of any Sonos “update” that disturbs things. So I decided to cut myself adrift until such time that they publish something relevant to my use case. I am still in the world of a large personal music collection, and they left that behind a long time ago, so I am not holding my breath while waiting. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I too just discovered Denied access VIA smb 1….  

The SMBService  Parent Directory Lists 10 different versions (.spk) of the previous version of SMB to install…. I use a 920+, and would appreciate any help in determining which SMB Version I should install…

The 920+ uses the Intel Celeron J4125…..  Just not seeing a clear link from it to the replacement choice of SMB File…..

Thanks! 

You’ll need the “...x86...” version.

Outburst’s solution to add “unix extensions=no” to /etc/samba/smb.conf on the Synology NAS worked like a charm for me. Remember to “sudo synopkg restart SMBService” to put the change into effect.

Hi Vijay or Outburst,

has this workaround got any security protection advantage over running the downgraded SMBService, ie. are we more protected than when we were running SMB1?

It looks like that config change has global effect. ie affects all Windows connections to the NAS, not just connection our Music Share.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d be interested (though maybe not in this topic) in your solution for using a large (more than  65k?) music collection on Sonos?

Thanks, followed DuncanF’s instructions (expect for the missing space for the sudo -i command) and it all worked a treat. No reboot and only took a a few minutes. I just used the Terminal app on my Mac.

Obvious frustration that Package Centre will keep reminding me the SMB package can be updated, but not as frustrating as not being able to access my Music Library on all my SONOS devices. Odd it effected some ZP120s but not all.

One note, if you have SSH disabled by default (as I do) you need to turn it on for access, and if you want turn it off again when done.

Finally I am not sure who to be annoyed at, Synology for breaking something, or Sonos for not getting a very old protocol standard updated on older devices.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just installed an update to the Synology SMB package on my DiskStation. I was hopeful, but this did not fix the problem. 

So, what did Sonos Support say, when you called in? 

Unfortunately, I’m no longer running S1 to do any relevant tests. 

I appreciate the rollback instructions, I was able to do that.  However still no connectivity. Before the rollback I reset sonos user password to the share and also deleted the share paths in sonos in a poor attempt at resolving things.  Trying to re-add those libraries now fails with access denied despite me knowing 100% that the user and password entered are correct. No logging of use Synology side to help so kind of SOL right now.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you Duncan for that little hint!

I’m now encountering the inability to “uninstall” the SMB Service from the Package Center.

I’ve done the following:

For DSM 7.0 and above:

1. Go to Control Panel > File Services > SMB and click Advanced Settings.
  2. Select Force from the Enable server signing drop-down menu to enable it, or select Disable to disable it, and click Save.

However when I go into the Installed Packages, it shows the SMB Service still running, and the “OPEN” Drop-Down only shows “Auto-Update” as a option.

Must be missing something simple….  

marc