Answered

Sonos Connect can no longer play music after Synology SMB update

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My Sonos Connect can no longer play any music following an update to the SMB package on my Synology drive.

I’ve followed the guides about setting up the appropriate SMB1 access allowing NTLM access, but when I try and connect, I just get “access denied” even though my S2 products are pointed at the same share.

The NAS logs show the S1 product connecting but the Sonos app is throwing the error.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have a solution?

icon

Best answer by DuncanF 30 April 2023, 10:59

View original

96 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos technical engineers may take more care about the old users of Sonos. They may tell us why S1 cannot support SMBv2 or SMBv3. Is it a hardware problem or just they think S1 should be knocked out?

It has been discussed often, the S1 hardware does not have enough memory for the newer Linux kernel or Samba SMB application.

Got the exact same issue here. Been using Sonos for 10+ years and have no reason to ditch my Play 5 speakers for new ones….. I think this issue is really annoying and think that Sonos and Synology ought to have a chat and fix this very soon. Don't wanna downgrade my SMB since the upgrade must be there for a reason…..

U are right. Finally, downgrade SMB version may solve this problem. But this mustn’t be a perfect solution. Sonos technical engineers may take more care about the old users of Sonos. They may tell us why S1 cannot support SMBv2 or SMBv3. Is it a hardware problem or just they think S1 should be knocked out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Cheaper since you already have a NAS is to use a Pi as a gateway, less power too. I tried an old Zero and it ran four FLAC streams with no problems.

This should get you there but it is a bit dated:

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have this issue too with my DS418play after updated to DS 7.x.  Very frustrating with a Sonos system that has been running pretty much constantly for 10 years (2x Connect, 2x Connect amp, 1x Play 5, 1x Play3), and Spotify etc continue to work just fine.  The NAS is clearly accessible to the network (all on Win 10).  I did try ensuring SMB1 and NVLTM1 were enabled, but I cannot point Sonos to the music library.  I don’t feel confident to be “messing” with my Synology DS418play via Linux, or downgrading to 6.x etc.  I have my (large) photographic image library on my NAS too. As an alternative, I could shift my music library to a new single-drive-bay NAS.  Can anyone recommend a brand that is known to work without this issue?  Alternatively I am willing to try the Raspberry Pi plus SSD suggestion - can anyone provide a link as to how this is constructed?

Badge +2

I’m not sure whether this is an option on Synology drives, but instead of downgrading one could add “unix extensions = no” to the smb.conf file. Samba 4.15 includes a security change that makes this addition needed for some devices (old Linux Kernels). 

Just wanted to say that this solution also worked like a charm for me. I myself couldn’t apply it, as I don’t understand a thing about it, but I had someone do that modification to my Synology NAS. Many thanks!

Badge +2

Hi everyone. Am having the same problem, for a long time, started a thread here too, but then was pointed to this one. I read the solution by Duncan, but….too scared to do it. Not really savvy enough with all those terms...*sigh*. 

So, have got a Synology DS 918+, Two Gen 1 Play 5 speakers, the controller sonos S1. 

Can’t get it to run neither on Win PC or Samsung mobile. 

I get the usual message to check my username password yadayada and that the access to my path to my NAS is denied. 

Is Duncan’s solution really the only way?

Many thanks….Amar

Well, silly. If the sonos app doesn’t work, which it doesn’t without me doing some major stuff I do not understand, I’ll switch to to DS audio, tried it out, works well, and maybe there are alternatives to sonos controller, that let’s you control your sonos speakers. 

Badge +2

Hi everyone. Am having the same problem, for a long time, started a thread here too, but then was pointed to this one. I read the solution by Duncan, but….too scared to do it. Not really savvy enough with all those terms...*sigh*. 

So, have got a Synology DS 918+, Two Gen 1 Play 5 speakers, the controller sonos S1. 

Can’t get it to run neither on Win PC or Samsung mobile. 

I get the usual message to check my username password yadayada and that the access to my path to my NAS is denied. 

Is Duncan’s solution really the only way?

Many thanks….Amar

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo -i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Moderator edit: added space to “sudo -i”

Solution to Sonos Connect on S1 NOT granted access to Synology music folder.

The above SMB downgrade sorts out the issue….Thank you.

Another successful use of Outburt’s solution, using the post above from rich_and_poor. Thanks both.

I used the inbuilt terminal on my mac, and SSH and vi did the rest. 

I too successfully used Outburst’s solution of adding “unix extensions=no” to /etc/samba/smb.conf

I signed in via SSH (I already had it enabled, some may need to enable on DiskStation control panel.  then I typed “sudo -i” to enable writing the changes to the file.  Then I edited the file with vi appending the above as the last line.  

I’m not sure whether this is an option on Synology drives, but instead of downgrading one could add “unix extensions = no” to the smb.conf file. Samba 4.15 includes a security change that makes this addition needed for some devices (old Linux Kernels). 

Just to add to this thread. My Synology is running v7.2 and it would not allow me to install the downgraded v4.10 it insisted that v4.15 was the minimum allowed, But the quoted solution appears to have worked with the edit in the config file.

Thanks to all in the community who are so active providing answers to those of us who only come when there is a problem.

+1 that this works and, i believe, a preferred solution over uninstalling and downgrading the smb.  

although it has been confirmed that this work by plm and vijay, there’s a lot more talk about the downgrading, so i’ll add another confirmation in hopes that it raises the awareness of this (imho preferred) solution.

in my search for a solution here, i did happen upon plex.  i’ve now configured the plex service for playing my music from synology.  (essentially bounces through plex when needed, but establishes a local connection when possible).   if you haven’t tried it, you might consider doing so.  i hesitatingly did it.  however plex has some capabilities that sonos’s music management is woefully poor at.    it’s not perfect, but at this point now that i have both working, i’m trying to evaluate which i prefer, and there’s a lot leaning towards plex.

Just to add to this thread. My Synology is running v7.2 and it would not allow me to install the downgraded v4.10 it insisted that v4.15 was the minimum allowed, But the quoted solution appears to have worked with the edit in the config file.

Thanks to all in the community who are so active providing answers to those of us who only come when there is a problem.

Badge

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo -i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Moderator edit: added space to “sudo -i”

Do you happen to know if this also works on the latest DSM 7.2 releases? I’m still on 7.1 and did the downgrade of the SMB package but I would like to have the newer features of 7.2 without losing my Sonos music access.

spent almost 1hr on phone top sonos, in the end just said synology firmeware issue with above 7.0 version, call them to help you roll back from version 7.2 which i am on..

As Outburst has mentioned, all cybersecurity is about risk assessment. Downgrading is an all-or-nothing exercise. You fix the issue leading to the downgrade decision, but you also lose any other benefits of the release. When new upgrades are released will you have to keep downgrading? I don’t know how Synology decide to apply an upgrade to answer this question. What other vulnerabilities addressed by an upgrade are you also sacrificing? You would have to read the release notes to determine that, if such detailed release notes are available.

A configuration change is much easier to apply or undo, plus you get all the benefits of any other improvements included in the upgrade. You can (should) assess the impact of the configuration option to ensure that you are ok with the consequences of the change. The day Sonos fix the problem in Sonos 1, or you upgrade all your Sonos devices, it is simple to undo the configuration change.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think that’s a question you can’t really fully answer, but personally I think it’s safer to have a newer Samba version and change the smb.conf file because the newer Samba version will have other security and bug fixes that you would otherwise not have. 

And yes, it’s a global setting, but it should not affect Windows shares assuming you use SMB2/3 for those machines. This is a setting only valid for SMB1 as far as I remember. 

Outburst’s solution to add “unix extensions=no” to /etc/samba/smb.conf on the Synology NAS worked like a charm for me. Remember to “sudo synopkg restart SMBService” to put the change into effect.

Hi Vijay or Outburst,

has this workaround got any security protection advantage over running the downgraded SMBService, ie. are we more protected than when we were running SMB1?

It looks like that config change has global effect. ie affects all Windows connections to the NAS, not just connection our Music Share.

What app are you using? I’ve been looking for an app that would play my latest additions to the music collection for years! Smart lists that play tracks I’ve never listened to and random lists that exclude certain tracks I don’t like but I don’t delete to keep the album complete.

Hi Ivo_4,

I wrote the app. 

I sent you a PM, so we can discuss elsewhere.

Outburst’s solution to add “unix extensions=no” to /etc/samba/smb.conf on the Synology NAS worked like a charm for me. Remember to “sudo synopkg restart SMBService” to put the change into effect.

Badge

Collecting becomes pointless without smart playlists and browsing indices, that enable shrinking the collection to a smaller scale when the mood requires, eg.
* just albums that I have not heard for a year and a half
* or jazz albums that I brought in the last 2 years, which I have played less than 5 times

My app:
* detects and identifies everything I play on Sonos, and separates it from tracks played by other household members
* it aggregates these plays, with tracks that it has identified that I have played, away from home, on non-Sonos equipment
* all play data is fed into a MediaMonkey database, from which I can browse, and|or publish album level playlists for use in Sonos and elsewhere, or to sync albums into my mobile devices.

What app are you using? I’ve been looking for an app that would play my latest additions to the music collection for years! Smart lists that play tracks I’ve never listened to and random lists that exclude certain tracks I don’t like but I don’t delete to keep the album complete.

Or did you write your own personal app?

I find the logic unusual. Sonos operated under one operating system from 2005 until S2 was released in August of 2020. Why would they need to bring out this supposed S3 so soon?

You think that the S2 controller is new? I have limited experience with it, but I don’t think so.

I think that it is just the old controller, which has been allowed to expend its footprint so that they could apply some overdue patches to accommodate the 21st century, like half decent security and Hi Res tracks.

I think that the only thing “new” about it is its name.

You know more than that?

I believe this because the switch to S2 had negligible impact upon community projects which click into Sonos s/w internals. The only significant change that I remember is that there was a change to the way the external music service authentication was handled.

Also I seem to remember reading an interview with Patrick Spence that hinted towards a new controller. 

I’d be interested (though maybe not in this topic) in your solution for using a large (more than  65k?) music collection on Sonos?

Hi 106rallye, no, that is not my issue. I have not reached that limit. I have just cracked 50k tracks

My issue is that it is hard to relate to a large collection without some computer assistance.

If I look at my collection, I will always find an album to play while I am still looking just in the A's.
Collecting becomes pointless without smart playlists and browsing indices, that enable shrinking the collection to a smaller scale when the mood requires, eg.
* just albums that I have not heard for a year and a half
* or jazz albums that I brought in the last 2 years, which I have played less than 5 times
* etc

Yeah, and I know that collecting albums is pointless anyway 😉, but it is hard to break the habit and hobby of a lifetime. 

My app:
* detects and identifies everything I play on Sonos, and separates it from tracks played by other household members
* it aggregates these plays, with tracks that it has identified that I have played, away from home, on non-Sonos equipment
* all play data is fed into a MediaMonkey database, from which I can browse, and|or publish album level playlists for use in Sonos and elsewhere, or to sync albums into my mobile devices.

So sorry. 
You could load your collection overflow up to a streaming service, and stream it from there.
eg. Youtube allows you to upload up to 100,000 tracks. You can play your own tracks via their web clients (ad free and also offline), or using Sonos.

I loaded all my tracks up to Google back in the Google Play Music days. At that time it was free to store, and stream from 60k of your own tracks. They auto-transcoded to 320bps mp3 copies. I see that the limit has expanded, and they allow flac files now. All of my tracks got migrated to YouTube, so I think it is still free although I do have a F1 account, so I am not sure.

I find the logic unusual. Sonos operated under one operating system from 2005 until S2 was released in August of 2020. Why would they need to bring out this supposed S3 so soon?

Badge

Hi all,

I understand that Synology does’t want to use an old protocol or service that can be exploited, but I also don’t want to spend too much money on upgrading my Sonos system to S2. What will be next year, S3? So I will dig up an old rpi that I can use as a SMB bridge between v1 and 3 and leave that somewhere running in my network. My NAS isn’t exposed to the internet and I keep all incoming port closed on my firewall, so the risk is minimal. Switching to a rpi based NAS and a SSD HD like the Samsung T7 is also to be considered.

I tried out the work around for the 65K max issue using a small program to make m3u4u index files from a separate music volume with less played music. It seems to work, only downside is that you need a good folder structure as there is no search or artist/song etc. listing possible. That’s not a big issue for me as my music catalog has a good file structure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d be interested (though maybe not in this topic) in your solution for using a large (more than  65k?) music collection on Sonos?