Answered

Sonos Connect can no longer play music after Synology SMB update

Show first post

96 replies

Badge

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo -i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Moderator edit: added space to “sudo -i”

Do you happen to know if this also works on the latest DSM 7.2 releases? I’m still on 7.1 and did the downgrade of the SMB package but I would like to have the newer features of 7.2 without losing my Sonos music access.

I’m having exactly the same issue with my Sonos units (all S1). I’ve invested heavily in Sonos about 10 years ago. It’s sad to me that they tried to abandon completely these S1 products a few years back until the uproar about it. I hope that they will take the time to fix this issue. I will try the USB flash drive solution suggested by the OP as a workaround in the meantime.

Hi,

See my post just above this.  I have something to add to this now:  I’m on S1 like you, but I have a combination of older and newer hardware.

• If I try to listen to each Zone independently (no grouping of other zones), then only the newer hardware can successfully find my music on the Synology NAS.  This newer hardware is an Amp, a Playbase (not so new, really) and Gen 2 S5.
  • The older hardware (ZP100, ZP120, ZP80, Connect) will not play independently.
  • The older hardware can, however, be grouped with newer hardware and stream what’s being played on the newer hardware.  It’s inelegant, but will get me by for now while I try to figure out what the Synology change actually broke and whether or not Sonos will act on it.

Perfect solution, thanks a lot!

I’m a little confused. You mention both S2 and S1. Are you running both OS on different “systems” in your home?

S1 does indeed require SMB v1 and NTMLv1 in order to connect. For what it’s worth, I’ve had SMBv1 turned off by “updates” to my NAS’ firmware, without regard to whether I had it turned on or not. It’s always worth logging in to the NAS to confirm that those settings have not been changed for you, without your input. 

It may be worth a call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They may have more knowledge about the specific update to your Synology device, and certainly any hard data in  a system diagnostic might be helpful in tracking down where the interruption is coming from. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

Got the exact same issue here. Been using Sonos for 10+ years and have no reason to ditch my Play 5 speakers for new ones….. I think this issue is really annoying and think that Sonos and Synology ought to have a chat and fix this very soon. Don't wanna downgrade my SMB since the upgrade must be there for a reason…..

U are right. Finally, downgrade SMB version may solve this problem. But this mustn’t be a perfect solution. Sonos technical engineers may take more care about the old users of Sonos. They may tell us why S1 cannot support SMBv2 or SMBv3. Is it a hardware problem or just they think S1 should be knocked out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If Sonos is working on other NAS devices Sonos isn’t likely to get too deep into another manufacturer’s problem.

I had many NAS issues, picked up a Raspberry Pi computer and pulled an old SSD from my scrap box and it happily runs my music library with zero issues.

I too successfully used Outburst’s solution of adding “unix extensions=no” to /etc/samba/smb.conf

I signed in via SSH (I already had it enabled, some may need to enable on DiskStation control panel.  then I typed “sudo -i” to enable writing the changes to the file.  Then I edited the file with vi appending the above as the last line.  

Userlevel 1

Same here.  Only running s1 app and after SMB Update, this…..

As Outburst has mentioned, all cybersecurity is about risk assessment. Downgrading is an all-or-nothing exercise. You fix the issue leading to the downgrade decision, but you also lose any other benefits of the release. When new upgrades are released will you have to keep downgrading? I don’t know how Synology decide to apply an upgrade to answer this question. What other vulnerabilities addressed by an upgrade are you also sacrificing? You would have to read the release notes to determine that, if such detailed release notes are available.

A configuration change is much easier to apply or undo, plus you get all the benefits of any other improvements included in the upgrade. You can (should) assess the impact of the configuration option to ensure that you are ok with the consequences of the change. The day Sonos fix the problem in Sonos 1, or you upgrade all your Sonos devices, it is simple to undo the configuration change.

Badge +2

Hi everyone. Am having the same problem, for a long time, started a thread here too, but then was pointed to this one. I read the solution by Duncan, but….too scared to do it. Not really savvy enough with all those terms...*sigh*. 

So, have got a Synology DS 918+, Two Gen 1 Play 5 speakers, the controller sonos S1. 

Can’t get it to run neither on Win PC or Samsung mobile. 

I get the usual message to check my username password yadayada and that the access to my path to my NAS is denied. 

Is Duncan’s solution really the only way?

Many thanks….Amar

I’m not sure whether this is an option on Synology drives, but instead of downgrading one could add “unix extensions = no” to the smb.conf file. Samba 4.15 includes a security change that makes this addition needed for some devices (old Linux Kernels). 

Just to add to this thread. My Synology is running v7.2 and it would not allow me to install the downgraded v4.10 it insisted that v4.15 was the minimum allowed, But the quoted solution appears to have worked with the edit in the config file.

Thanks to all in the community who are so active providing answers to those of us who only come when there is a problem.

+1 that this works and, i believe, a preferred solution over uninstalling and downgrading the smb.  

although it has been confirmed that this work by plm and vijay, there’s a lot more talk about the downgrading, so i’ll add another confirmation in hopes that it raises the awareness of this (imho preferred) solution.

in my search for a solution here, i did happen upon plex.  i’ve now configured the plex service for playing my music from synology.  (essentially bounces through plex when needed, but establishes a local connection when possible).   if you haven’t tried it, you might consider doing so.  i hesitatingly did it.  however plex has some capabilities that sonos’s music management is woefully poor at.    it’s not perfect, but at this point now that i have both working, i’m trying to evaluate which i prefer, and there’s a lot leaning towards plex.

As a guess, the Synology update turned off SMBv1.

YES!!! Everything works! THANK YOU!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Synology have been able to connect and have said they can see the files using SMB1.  They have said to contact Sonos.

It appears that my Connect will no longer work with my NAS. 😩

Yes, Synology logs show Sonos accessing my music files just fine, for example when updating the music library, but when trying to play music from the Sonos S1 app, I get the access denied error in Sonos. 

I have all S1 compatible equipment (Connect:Amps, Play:5s and Play:3s).  What’s frustrating is that if I start with DS Audio, I can play music files stored in my DiskStation on Sonos speakers, but I can’t start with Sonos and play those same files. 

If the problem is with Sonos and Sonos Connect products simply will no longer work with a Synology DiskStation, why did it only stop working after a Synology update?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

SMB 1 is enabled, NTMLv1 is checked.  Username and password correct.  All folder permissions are correct.

I am able to add the music library but still receive the Access Denied error when a song is selected to play.

I removed and tried to re-add the library settings, but I can’t get that far now.  There are no errors in the Synology logs. In fact everything looks ok there. 

Badge

Is the new 7.2 beta RC also affected?

Badge +2

Hi everyone. Am having the same problem, for a long time, started a thread here too, but then was pointed to this one. I read the solution by Duncan, but….too scared to do it. Not really savvy enough with all those terms...*sigh*. 

So, have got a Synology DS 918+, Two Gen 1 Play 5 speakers, the controller sonos S1. 

Can’t get it to run neither on Win PC or Samsung mobile. 

I get the usual message to check my username password yadayada and that the access to my path to my NAS is denied. 

Is Duncan’s solution really the only way?

Many thanks….Amar

Well, silly. If the sonos app doesn’t work, which it doesn’t without me doing some major stuff I do not understand, I’ll switch to to DS audio, tried it out, works well, and maybe there are alternatives to sonos controller, that let’s you control your sonos speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Posted in wrong thread, please delete.

Thanks DuncanF

Downgrading the SMB service sorted the Sonos S1 snag for me.

If you use Sonos S1 players avoid that recommended SMB service upgrade from Synology. If ever there was an example of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” then this was it!

These Notes might help if you’re not familiar with using the direct connection into the NAS:

1// Search for “SSH in to a Synology NAS” for details on how to use PuTTY etc to make the connection.

2// It all works as described, the commands are case sensitive.

3// You have to select the correct SMB file (*.spk) from the list to match the CPU in your NAS which can be found in NAS DSM Control Panel - Info Centre.

4// I had to re-start my NAS after uninstalling the SMB Service before the downloaded one would install.

5// I had to re-start my NAS again after re-installing the SMB Service before it became “enabled”.

6// Some of the steps take quite a while to execute.

Best of luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I too just discovered Denied access VIA smb 1….  

The SMBService  Parent Directory Lists 10 different versions (.spk) of the previous version of SMB to install…. I use a 920+, and would appreciate any help in determining which SMB Version I should install…

The 920+ uses the Intel Celeron J4125…..  Just not seeing a clear link from it to the replacement choice of SMB File…..

Thanks! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same story here. I seem to remember having this problem a few years ago after a Synology update to SMB, but I don’t remember how it was resolved.

Following this for a solution (hopefully).  Thank you.