Answered

Sonos Connect can no longer play music after Synology SMB update

Show first post

96 replies

As has been covered many times in many threads, there is not enough memory available on S1 devices to update the Linux kernel with a newer version of SMB. You can blame Sonos, I suppose, for not inflating the original purchase price of the devices in order to fit more RAM in, if you wanted to. 

Badge

Hi all,

I understand that Synology does’t want to use an old protocol or service that can be exploited, but I also don’t want to spend too much money on upgrading my Sonos system to S2. What will be next year, S3? So I will dig up an old rpi that I can use as a SMB bridge between v1 and 3 and leave that somewhere running in my network. My NAS isn’t exposed to the internet and I keep all incoming port closed on my firewall, so the risk is minimal. Switching to a rpi based NAS and a SSD HD like the Samsung T7 is also to be considered.

I tried out the work around for the 65K max issue using a small program to make m3u4u index files from a separate music volume with less played music. It seems to work, only downside is that you need a good folder structure as there is no search or artist/song etc. listing possible. That’s not a big issue for me as my music catalog has a good file structure.

I find the logic unusual. Sonos operated under one operating system from 2005 until S2 was released in August of 2020. Why would they need to bring out this supposed S3 so soon?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hmm. I did nothing more nor less that I laid out above. And for some reason, I had no need to reboot.

Just to be clear, you need to stop/uninstall the service via a Linux terminal, not from the user interface in a browswer. I don’t know if it is even possible to unistall via the UI, hence the need to use a Linux terminal window.

When you stop the service via the command line in a terminal window, you should get a JSON response with loads of 0’s in, which I took to be a good thing. A smaller but similarly positive response when I uninstalled the service from the command prompt.

Now you go to the UI and install the new SMB package via the  Package Manager.

I appreciate the rollback instructions, I was able to do that.  However still no connectivity. Before the rollback I reset sonos user password to the share and also deleted the share paths in sonos in a poor attempt at resolving things.  Trying to re-add those libraries now fails with access denied despite me knowing 100% that the user and password entered are correct. No logging of use Synology side to help so kind of SOL right now.

Remember that it won’t work with Sonos S1 unless you have set the SMB parameters correctly in the NAS DSM i.e.

Control Panel - File Services - SMB - Advanced Settings - General - Minimum SMB Protocol = SMB1

and

Control Panel - File Services - SMB - Advanced Settings - Others - Enable NLTMv1 authentication = Ticked

If that dosn’t fix the problem then I’ve no idea!

Hello Forum

The solution posted by DuncanF works fine, but it is unclear which version of "4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022" should be used. 
I have tried the whole list, but keep getting the message that it is not suitable for this system.
Can anyone help me with this. 

My system is:
DS916+
DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5
INTEL Pentium N3710

Thanks in advance

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo -i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Moderator edit: added space to “sudo -i”

Solution to Sonos Connect on S1 NOT granted access to Synology music folder.

The above SMB downgrade sorts out the issue….Thank you.

Badge +4

I too just discovered Denied access VIA smb 1….  

The SMBService  Parent Directory Lists 10 different versions (.spk) of the previous version of SMB to install…. I use a 920+, and would appreciate any help in determining which SMB Version I should install…

The 920+ uses the Intel Celeron J4125…..  Just not seeing a clear link from it to the replacement choice of SMB File…..

Thanks! 

I have a Realtek RTD1296 SoC in my Synology DS218play so which package should I use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not sure atm, but try this instead?

Badge +4

I too just discovered Denied access VIA smb 1….  

The SMBService  Parent Directory Lists 10 different versions (.spk) of the previous version of SMB to install…. I use a 920+, and would appreciate any help in determining which SMB Version I should install…

The 920+ uses the Intel Celeron J4125…..  Just not seeing a clear link from it to the replacement choice of SMB File…..

Thanks! 

I have a Realtek RTD1296 SoC in my Synology DS218play so which package should I use?

Figured it out, it’s the ARM V8.

@DuncanF - THANK YOU very much! My Sonos and Synology NAS are talking politely once again.

Hello sjw,

Thank you for your quick response.
Indeed it works with the x86 option.

In the near future I will change the Sonos system to a more “flexible” product, without the SMB1 restrictions.

Have a nice day

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have this issue too with my DS418play after updated to DS 7.x.  Very frustrating with a Sonos system that has been running pretty much constantly for 10 years (2x Connect, 2x Connect amp, 1x Play 5, 1x Play3), and Spotify etc continue to work just fine.  The NAS is clearly accessible to the network (all on Win 10).  I did try ensuring SMB1 and NVLTM1 were enabled, but I cannot point Sonos to the music library.  I don’t feel confident to be “messing” with my Synology DS418play via Linux, or downgrading to 6.x etc.  I have my (large) photographic image library on my NAS too. As an alternative, I could shift my music library to a new single-drive-bay NAS.  Can anyone recommend a brand that is known to work without this issue?  Alternatively I am willing to try the Raspberry Pi plus SSD suggestion - can anyone provide a link as to how this is constructed?

Badge +4

Not sure atm, but try this instead?

THANK YOU @sjw! This solution worked for me and enables use of latest SMB package. Yay!

I’d be interested (though maybe not in this topic) in your solution for using a large (more than  65k?) music collection on Sonos?

Hi 106rallye, no, that is not my issue. I have not reached that limit. I have just cracked 50k tracks

My issue is that it is hard to relate to a large collection without some computer assistance.

If I look at my collection, I will always find an album to play while I am still looking just in the A's.
Collecting becomes pointless without smart playlists and browsing indices, that enable shrinking the collection to a smaller scale when the mood requires, eg.
* just albums that I have not heard for a year and a half
* or jazz albums that I brought in the last 2 years, which I have played less than 5 times
* etc

Yeah, and I know that collecting albums is pointless anyway 😉, but it is hard to break the habit and hobby of a lifetime. 

My app:
* detects and identifies everything I play on Sonos, and separates it from tracks played by other household members
* it aggregates these plays, with tracks that it has identified that I have played, away from home, on non-Sonos equipment
* all play data is fed into a MediaMonkey database, from which I can browse, and|or publish album level playlists for use in Sonos and elsewhere, or to sync albums into my mobile devices.

So sorry. 
You could load your collection overflow up to a streaming service, and stream it from there.
eg. Youtube allows you to upload up to 100,000 tracks. You can play your own tracks via their web clients (ad free and also offline), or using Sonos.

I loaded all my tracks up to Google back in the Google Play Music days. At that time it was free to store, and stream from 60k of your own tracks. They auto-transcoded to 320bps mp3 copies. I see that the limit has expanded, and they allow flac files now. All of my tracks got migrated to YouTube, so I think it is still free although I do have a F1 account, so I am not sure.

I find the logic unusual. Sonos operated under one operating system from 2005 until S2 was released in August of 2020. Why would they need to bring out this supposed S3 so soon?

You think that the S2 controller is new? I have limited experience with it, but I don’t think so.

I think that it is just the old controller, which has been allowed to expend its footprint so that they could apply some overdue patches to accommodate the 21st century, like half decent security and Hi Res tracks.

I think that the only thing “new” about it is its name.

You know more than that?

I believe this because the switch to S2 had negligible impact upon community projects which click into Sonos s/w internals. The only significant change that I remember is that there was a change to the way the external music service authentication was handled.

Also I seem to remember reading an interview with Patrick Spence that hinted towards a new controller. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

But this is just not a solution for many users. We need Sonos and Synology to communicate.

Any Sonos Staff online?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think that’s a question you can’t really fully answer, but personally I think it’s safer to have a newer Samba version and change the smb.conf file because the newer Samba version will have other security and bug fixes that you would otherwise not have. 

And yes, it’s a global setting, but it should not affect Windows shares assuming you use SMB2/3 for those machines. This is a setting only valid for SMB1 as far as I remember. 

Hello,

i coulnd´t install the x86 file - error - this package isn't supported or compatible!?! any ideas - restarting the disk station doesn't help. DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 

Badge

Is the SMB downgrade still working with 7.2 or did the latest Sonos app update solve the issue?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Synology have been able to connect and have said they can see the files using SMB1.  They have said to contact Sonos.

It appears that my Connect will no longer work with my NAS. 😩

DuncanF thank you so much for this. I had to remove Active Backup on the Synology since there were dependencies with SMB Service but after that everything worked. I added Active Backup back in after and it is perfect. 
thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Cheaper since you already have a NAS is to use a Pi as a gateway, less power too. I tried an old Zero and it ran four FLAC streams with no problems.

This should get you there but it is a bit dated:

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

I have the same problem after upgrading the SMB package on my Synology NAS.

I will look at the fix described by DuncanF later (thanks!) , but in the meantime I got the unit playing by the following:

• queue|play the tracks to a newer Sonos unit (I have the problem on one of the original Play:5 units)
  • then add the failing unit to the group (drop the volume on the original unit if you want)

That gets the music happening again.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m having exactly the same issue with my Sonos units (all S1). I’ve invested heavily in Sonos about 10 years ago. It’s sad to me that they tried to abandon completely these S1 products a few years back until the uproar about it. I hope that they will take the time to fix this issue. I will try the USB flash drive solution suggested by the OP as a workaround in the meantime.

Badge

Thanks for the downgrade hack, it worked. I did have to reboot in between stop and uninstall, could not uninstall without it. Let’s hope this will work with the latest OS update 7.2.