Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos App - Utterly useless!

I’m sure it’s not just me, but it’s possibly the worst ‘update’ yet! Can’t find half of the things which were previously easy to access. It’s a big 👎from me!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Today I am going onto the sites where I have previously purchased my Sonos speakers and providing a 1 start review since my system is now essentially useless.  And where is this roadmap that is supposed to fix things?

As I’ve mentioned before, they really don’t seem to be prioritising the most important features and this is the current status which was last updated on 21st May:- 

Keep an eye on the page here:- https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 2

I just ended a “CHAT” session with SONOS after waiting for an hour.

Suddenly my Sonos App dropped all my music sources.

After almost an hour on the Chat the Sono Agent told me that SONO App had to have major fixes and that Apple Music Playlists would not be available until Mid-June 2024.

Claimed the only way to play Apple was to add Apple Music App back to my system and sounded like you could only play one song at a time.

When I tried to add Apple Music back to my system I could not.  The tech did wait for me to try then told me call Sonos on Monday morning.  Told him I have tried that for a week and after an hour on hold I gave up.

Asked Tech if I could return all my Sonos equipment and get a refund….my entire home is SONOS!  Reply once more contact Sonos Store.

I’m exhausted and totally frustrated with Sonos.

Just to add my voice here since I hope that the more people speak up the (slightly) more likely it is that someone at Sonos will listen. New app hopeless. Can't find anything, no longer intuitive, and can't go back to the old one that worked fine. Disaster. 

Userlevel 2

Everyone log into their SONO Account and on the Support Tab they have a link where you can email their CEO.

Perhaps loading down his email with what is occuring to thousands of frustrated users will help.

In the meantime perhaps the biggest attention getter will be MAJOR DIVE IN SONOS STOCK

I don’t understand why you would make an app that is complicated to navigate from the previous version?? 

I build custom homes and always built in the sound systems.  The reason was that it was very easy to use for any skill level.  The new app is hard to find what yo easily could find in the past.  The biggest issue is the VOLUME CONTROL.  When you have several zones playing, the old app was easy to adjust the different volumes and mute.  Now you have to go into a seperate tab, adjust and apply.  I can not find a simple mute for one zone if you have to take a phone call.  The volume control should go back to what you had originally.

If I could go back to the previous app I would.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I don’t understand why you would make an app that is complicated to navigate from the previous version?? 

I build custom homes and always built in the sound systems.  The reason was that it was very easy to use for any skill level.  The new app is hard to find what yo easily could find in the past.  The biggest issue is the VOLUME CONTROL.  When you have several zones playing, the old app was easy to adjust the different volumes and mute.  Now you have to go into a seperate tab, adjust and apply.  I can not find a simple mute for one zone if you have to take a phone call.  The volume control should go back to what you had originally.

The app updated today. Mute has been reintroduced.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The app updated today. Mute has been reintroduced.

Not on the Android app and not on the WebApp either. 

I’ve been a Sonos user for 5-years and never had an issue. I created an account for the Sonos community today because this new app is terrible. 

As others have said, please allow us to switch back to version S2 while the new app is redesigned. 

Missing features: ability to play music on speakers, most of the usability of S2 (mostly the searching features and speaker selection/navigation), ability to search for albums in Napster, maybe even more but I can’t use it to play music so I stopped exploring. 

PLEASE offer a solution soon

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

The new Sonos.app is irritating. Try to save an artist  among your preferences: J. Savall → afro music and similar. If it is a sync problem with Qobuz then please give a look!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Features are not important when Sonos refuses to find the System on my WiFi.  Today I can access using my Mac- so the Sonos system is on my WiFi and playing music and working fine.  But no matter how many times I reset the app, reload, re sign in, shut everything down, turn everything on. . .my iPhone and ipad don’t see the Sonos system on the WiFi that my Mac is using and that is playing through my speakers right now.

Oh, by the way. . . Things were getting better until the update 2 days ago.  AND tomorrow it may work on the iPhone and not my Mac after I go through the 1-2 hour power-up of the App/System.  Once we get a speaker playing we let it run since changing is mostly impossible- So Radio Paradise has been constantly running in all of my locations for the past 5-6 weeks since the implosion.  Despite the App not being able to see the Sonos System on the WiFi, the Sonos System is playing fine through the WiFi and Sonos speakers- just no way to control via the App.  Just off/on and volume control at the speaker.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Everyone log into their SONO Account and on the Support Tab they have a link where you can email their CEO.

Perhaps loading down his email with what is occuring to thousands of frustrated users will help.

In the meantime perhaps the biggest attention getter will be MAJOR DIVE IN SONOS STOCK

I have emailed the CEO several times with concerns about the long-term health and prospects for Sonos.  Never gotten a reply.  Don’t think this is a meaningful email address.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

for Ios - go get sonospad  now. It doesn’t do everything but it’s great, and let’s you play music.

Userlevel 1

Bugs include:

1. System crashes erratically 
  2. Grouped rooms cannot have individual rooms muted, you have to slide to zero, this is not workable as to get all rooms on same volume level is very fiddly, and slow. Worked fine in S2 version
  3. When in group mode, sometimes a room does not play, you then have to deselect that room and go back and select it, sometimes it starts working

I would like to downgrade to S2, please make this available on Appstore - it’s just not fair to put this “new version” out and leave us to work through bugs.

On the subject of the new version, Ken Griffiths, you say many people did not like version S2, perhaps the silent majority did. In my opinion this new version is a step backwards, it’s rather ugly & fussy interface, and seemingly has less features and comes with bugs. 

Again, please make S2 available on Appstore, urgently

I have decided to get rid of my sonos system. Sonos seem to be more intent on getting your personal information than enabling a sound system to operate as a sound system. (maybe taking a leaf out of the FaceBook business plan - if my system works as well as the ads they send I would have been happy)  I can no longer use my VPN, my Playlists appear sometimes and sometimes they do not appear - I have had enough !! I will revert back to a more reputable brand.

Badge

I got a Sonos One SL from my boss as a gift. The new Sonos app wouldn’t work for me at all, and I was trying off and on over the past 3 weeks. Multiple calls to customer service ended nowhere.
I ended up downloading the iOS Sonos S1 app (dark gray icon) and it found my One SL. Maybe it may help someone else. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have 15 Sonos products that I can ‘gift’ you if you like?…….

Userlevel 2
Badge

The new app is a complete joke even with them trying to add the old features.. It doesn’t work. The old app wasn’t great but just about let you use your system without major problems 65% of the time. The new app gives you about 15% functionality as long as you don’t want to add songs, change volume in different zones, play different music in different zones.. I have already removed all Sonos amps from my boat and will soon be removing from my home if things don’t change.. Just accept you f**ked up and allow us to use the old app while you sort out the new abortion of an app!!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I’m sure it’s not just me, but it’s possibly the worst ‘update’ yet! Can’t find half of the things which were previously easy to access. It’s a big 👎from me!

100% worst ‘update’ ever!

Userlevel 1

Like many, I never go to message boards and can usually find enough info to trouble shoot, but this is so frustrating that I had to take the time to create a account to post my frustration hence my name. 

Userlevel 1

I just posted saying I’d toss my SONOS equipment in 3 weeks if nothing is done…

Well, it is in the trash now earlier than planned. Waisted 4 or 5 days of my life with that thing.

Farewell.

Userlevel 1

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

I can sum it up.  EVERYTHING is broken.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

One of the biggest issues, apart from the app features disappearing, is that Sonos alarms still will not play ‘music or radio’ as alarms. It will only sound the chime, even if it is set it to radio or a Spotify, laptop or soundcloud playlist.

Another issue is volume 1 is very loud. I cannot listen to music now at night time for fear of waking other bedrooms up. Volume 1 should be a lot quieter. It didn’t used to be this loud. (For radio and Spotify)

Sonos app will not let us play new and old speakers on new app. I have to use both the Sonos 1 and new Sonos app to play different speakers around. It is not possible to use one app for all speakers anymore due to them discontinuing old speakers from new app.

People keep saying report their issues on the thread…But this has been going on since 2020/21.

Both Twitter, Reddit and Facebook show multiple disgruntled customers. Not to mention the fake Sonos ceo email address that must be receiving thousands of complaints all across the world. The latest app takes the biscuit.

Basically, we bought a product and they have since removed all the features that we originally bought it for. This goes against all advertising standards laws and consumer laws which makes us eligible for compensation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

One of the biggest issues, apart from the app features disappearing, is that Sonos alarms still will not play ‘music or radio’ as alarms. It will only sound the chime, even if it is set it to radio or a Spotify, laptop or soundcloud playlist.

Another issue is volume 1 is very loud. I cannot listen to music now at night time for fear of waking other bedrooms up. Volume 1 should be a lot quieter. It didn’t used to be this loud. (For radio and Spotify)

Sonos app will not let us play new and old speakers on new app. I have to use both the Sonos 1 and new Sonos app to play different speakers around. It is not possible to use one app for all speakers anymore due to them discontinuing old speakers from new app.

People keep saying report their issues on the thread…But this has been going on since 2020/21.

Both Twitter, Reddit and Facebook show multiple disgruntled customers. Not to mention the fake Sonos ceo email address that must be receiving thousands of complaints all across the world. The latest app takes the biscuit.

Basically, we bought a product and they have since removed all the features that we originally bought it for. This goes against all advertising standards laws and consumer laws which makes us eligible for compensation.

I don’t know if it might help but if you’ve got the desktop app (I use windows) you should still be able to fully manage alarms with that. Also, if your speaker has the ‘Hey Sonos’ voice control you should be able to set a percentage volume by saying ‘volume 5 percent’ or the like...

The arrogance of Sonos hierarchy is astounding, possibly worse than the garbage they have sold us.

I agree, terrible upgrade

Userlevel 1

To the Group:

The App Naming Conventions by Sonos are HORRIBLE. 

The current “NIGHTMARE” app in the iPhone App Store has no Numeric Version, it is the “Official” Sonos App or something.

Then we have Vague, unspecific Designators “S1” and “S2” which don’t mean anything, and cost money if you down load them. 

Would somebody clarify for me if there is a “Numeric” designation for the FORMER APP that we all used that actually WORKED for years?

Michael U - Former Sonos Customer

Moderator edit: removed full name