Skip to main content

New SONOS App - Alarms

App has been upgraded,  We onlu have IOS no access to Mac or Windows,

Lost ability to use alarms etc 

Can we reverse upgrade and go back?

New app is awful! so user non friendly 

231 replies

I’ve had to unplug the speaker in my bedroom as I can’t switch off the alarms I don’t need while on holiday from work. 
This is unbelievably poor. How did it get through beta testing with this functionality missing?

I’ve been involved with Sonos beta testing in the past and this never would have been missed 

You can still modify the alarms in the computer app, just not the mobile app. It's not ideal to have to pull out a laptop to do that, but at least it's still there. (The last time I checked anyway.....)

Userlevel 1

I have just updated to the new app on iOS. I have questions.

1: Can I downgrade back to the S2 app?

2: where is the sleep timer? I use it, and every evening now, I can't seem to find it. 

3: where are the alarm settings?

4: now whenever I select anything from the recently played section I get an error message “something went wrong try again” so then I have to go back and search to find it. 

From reading other posts, this does not seem to be progress. Not impressed with this update at all. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

The latest update (May 2024) has removed my I-Tunes library from my desktop and Android apps and I can't reconnect the library.  I'm pissed, to say the least.  Also, the alarm function has been removed from the mobile app.  Has SONOS lost their frigging mind?

Sonos what where you thinking!!!????? This app is a mess. And WHERE ARE THE ALARMSETTINGS!!! Very very veryyyyyy annoying 😡

Auto updating to a whole new experience is not acceptable. Especially when it’s slow to respond, and feels generally buggy. 

Removing features, such as the Alarm, in an “Update” is unacceptable. That’s software 101. You don’t get rid of features. And worse, no one thought to communicate this? 

But BOTH? You auto-deleted valuable functionality without letting anyone know! 

Get the Product Manager (or god-forbid, the Dev lead) who made that decision on the forums and give your paying customers an ETA - and an apology. 

I assumed your updates were going to be an improvement overall. I assumed you’d do reasonable research and make intelligent improvements based on usability studies.

I really do still look forward to the new UI - but today it still feels like a beta - and it needs to include previous functionality. 

Sounds like I'm not the only one disappointed by the new app update. Personally I enjoy updates and products and services getting better. However, Sonos dropped the ball this time. Taking away common features that made their product useful. 

Features to bring back that I have noticed is the sleep timer and the volume number control. I don't use the alarm feature but I liked the option and honestly selecting my rooms and grouping and ungrouping now takes extra steps. 

Sorry Sonos but you're better than this.

I was keen to update to the new Sonos application on the day of it's release. The upgrade route didn't seem that intuitive, that should have been the first warning to not try any any more.

The new interface does seem very bright and modern but has suffered as a result. We rely on the following features as part of the service; 

No widget

No alarm

No sleep

No access to radio player 

Application manoeuvring isn't that intuitive 

How many updates will I have do to retrieve these features? And how well tested will they be. Not sure how to progress 

Badge

I updated the Sonos app on my iPhone. But I cannot change or activate/deactivate my alarm settings anymore.

The alarms are still working in my speaker (Ikea/Sonos), but I cannot controll thrm anymore.

Is there a workaround?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m very upset about my access to my I-tunes library being destroyed.  SONOS has surely lost its mind by issuing this insanely unpopular update.  Does anyone know if we will get this access back along with the alarm feature on our mobile devices?

Userlevel 2
Badge

HI,

Following the “most extensive app redesign ever”, all my alarms have stopped working (amongst lots of other things). I can see the alarms via the Windows app but I am unable to make any changes or add new alarms.

I get the error message below. Has anyone got any suggestions for a workaround?

I’ve been using Sonos since 2009 so know my way around the system.

In a word, Sonos sucks right now 

On the latest update 

• the alarm function is no longer available
  • my playlists on Qobuz have disappeared
  • some speakers are shown as playing music I never chose 
  • selecting music is much more difficult than before
  • what option is left but to get another speaker system with an app that actually works ? What a disappointment 
Userlevel 1

What is the reason for the new app?

It's an absolute disaster!

I'm so angry that overnight that my use of SONOS has gone from perfect to literally not fit for purpose. 

I can't search my music library stored on NAS drive, this has been my preferred use of the system since I became a SONOS user more than 10 hrs ago.

If I do play an album from my music library the album art is missing.

I can no longer set alarms or sleep timers.

The app has become laggy, with mostly empty icons.

I am seriously looking for a replacement service,  not to be done lightly given £1,000s spent on SONOS kit over the years.

I have consistently recommended SONOS universally to friends and family for years.

You have destroyed this customer satisfaction overnight. My current advice to friends and family would be shop elsewhere. 

I bought 2 Era 100 in to listen to music to help me fall asleep.  But I can no longer program a timer.  I have two speakers that have lost 80% of their usefulness.  I have never been so disappointed.  Sonos speakers are entry-level plastic speakers of very average quality.  I bought these speakers because I found them practical (connected speaker...). Bit  If I had known, I would have bought real acoustic speakers (not connected) and an amplifier (but not from Sonos).  Today, I have very expensive connected speakers (or average quality) that are not that connected. This is a joke... 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dumpster fire the size of planet Earth.

Hallo zusammen.  Ich hab ja mittlerweile mitbekommen,  dass es den Wecker derzeit nicht mehr gibt - schlimm genug.

Aber was ist mit bereits eingestellten Weckern?

Ich wurde heute morgen überraschend um halb sechs geweckt, weil ich vor Abschaffung der Weckfunktion den Wecker so für Dienstags eingestellt hatte.

Das brauche ich aber jetzt nicht mehr.

Abschalten geht aber nicht...…

Danke im Voraus für Lösungen.

LG

Moderator Note - Translation by Google:

Hello everyone. I've now noticed that the alarm clock no longer exists - bad enough.

But what about alarms that have already been set?

This morning I was unexpectedly woken up at half past five because I had set the alarm clock for Tuesdays before the alarm function was abolished.

But I don't need that anymore.

But you can't switch it off...

Thanks in advance for solutions.

LG

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just noticed a new update in the Australian Apple App Store. 80.00.08.

I can see alarms have been added. Not sure what else.

Alarms in the UK are going off at GMT time, we’re currently in BST so alarms are going off an hour late

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don't see the alarm. Do I need to uninstall the app and reinstall?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don't see the alarm. Do I need to uninstall the app and reinstall?

No you don’t have to uninstall. Alarms are in the system settings under manage after you update the app

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi all,

With the latest update, alarms are now available in the Sonos app. You’ll need the latest version of the Sonos app and speaker firmware to have them show, and steps are posted in the Sonos App Redesign AMA, which are:

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again

Once you’ve performed the above, you’ll find alarms in the Sonos app under System Settings (⚙) → Manage → Alarms.

You can view the current roadmap on our article for Future Feature Updates in the New Sonos App and also in the Release Notes for Sonos software updates.

If you have any further feedback to share, please continue to share it the main topic for the New Sonos App linked below or any relevant threads on the community:

No alarm nor sleeptimer is not just an upgrade, but an awfull downgrade. I cannot believe this was a serious release. Why not try a beta??

Userlevel 5

Just installed a new version of the IOS app - and it has alarms. Not tried them, as I never use them, but at least they seem to be there.

I am still missing My music, though.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Are you sure it’s working properly now? Can we select our own alarm or is the only option the Sonos signal? I have never experienced this kind of mess after having updated an app. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

“Hi all,

With the latest update, alarms are now available in the Sonos app.”

The alarm clock has been back since 80.00.08, but ....The alarm clock with a desired wake-up time of 6.30 only wakes up with a two-hour delay, at 8.30 am. Could it be that the current local time is not being used?

So the latest update.  What a total and utter disaster.

I can’t edit or stop any alarms, what the dickens are you supposed to do (we don’t have any apple devices) it means we are stuck with our alarms going off at the same time every day for evermore (school holidays in a week and a half)

I can no longer search for a song on my NAS based music, only navigate to it if I happen to know where it is.

Utter pants