The Sonos Brexit and pragmatic ways past it

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

570 replies

@Eddie the Eagle : If the stock keeps falling one of the big tech guys may see opportunities in replacing what looks like inept management even now. One can only stay optimistic and trust that they will also see the merit in keeping the installed base as satisfied as is feasible as a foundation stone for keeping sales and business growing under new management.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I was thinking about the issue, it doesn’t impact me directly as I traded out all my old gear but maybe things that might work for others.

How about a non-legacy Connect connected to a legacy connect via the RCA jacks. One as part of the legacy system and one on the non-legacy system?

You’d have to group the legacy gear to the legacy Connect using a controller on the legacy side but then you could do everything else from the non-legacy side as long as the legacy Connect was grouped with what you are listening to.

With all the screaming I’m going to be watching for used gear at fire-sale prices and may well snap something up for the few places I don’t have Sonos now. Oh, and anybody letting a Sub go cheap! That is first on my list!

I’m resisting looking at Sonos stock as hard as I can, really don’t want back in the market for individual stocks at my age but if it gets too tempting I may bite. Spouse and primary tax preparer may skin me if I don’t turn a fat profit.

Seeing once again this perfect Echo sync that drives via Line In the Sonos sync across two Sonos systems, raises the question I have asked before - how does Echo achieve this trick? I have a suspicion that it isn't done at a local level at all like Sonos does; somewhere in the Alexa cloud, the Echo group is registered as such - as evidenced to an extent by the fact that Echo groups, unlike Sonos ones, survive power cycling. The music streams then are synced in the cloud and sent at the exact same time to each Echo device in the group. That the music also plays in sync at distant destinations after passing through a bunch of devices en-route demonstrates how well this works. If that is indeed the way this works. And if so, there may not be any Sonos patent infringement by Amazon. And given that Amazon may provide Sonos with a solution to this significant issue of integrating split systems, Sonos may not even want to approach any sleeping dogs there, even if there are any such.

Thanks Kumar.  That’s what I thought and with the amount of misinformation and ‘company-line’ assumptions coming out of this debacle, I’m going to just sit back with my popcorn and watch like I’ve been doing - at times it better than the nightly news.

@chickentender : that cool trick of looping the Connect using the tape out/monitor in jacks, where available, isn't one that many discover. Those that have extensively used tape decks and amps know about it, but that is a dwindling presence here.

it definitely looks like this thread provides some great ideas or next steps for my review.

@Noelle Good luck; it is a long and therefore unwieldy thread, an outcome arising out of the nature of an online discussion, so take your time! I am trying to address that by forking the thread into two, as you will see on a post on this page, but even if that helps, we are stuck with the present levels of unwieldiness that nothing can reduce. A legacy problem:-)).

@Ryan S @Edward R : there seems to be something wrong with the link to the last page of this thread, it does not allow me to go directly to the last page from the thread list. I have to open the first page, and then click the last page there, a very tiresome process. I don’t know if this is affecting just me, of course; can you help?

Thanks.

at times it better than the nightly news.

If you ask me, it’s a full blown soap opera with twists and turns.

Come on over to the good ole USA.  Politics is our ever tangling soap opera.  Although ratings have said that more of us are watching the day time soaps than the wailings and knashings of Washington.

I keep thinking of how to make this a more effective thread; I just realised I have missed a major trick.

As background: for quite a few years after I started with Sonos in 2011, this was a Sonos forum, using a simpler but effective V Bulletin architecture where all moderators were unpaid experts. Who did a fantastic job of keeping the forum to the levels that any civilised and knowledgeable one needs to be. Almost all that I know about Sonos, and about network management which I admit I still know little about, I learnt from them. Once the community morphed to its present state, they largely moved into the background; it was a major loss to Sonos that this could not be prevented.

So now, a call to @ratty @buzz  and @Majik, Jedi masters of the Sonos galaxy, to step in whenever they can, in any way they can, in response to any post, in furtherance of the objectives of the thread that the title tries to capture. What ever you can do or are still willing to, will have an impact. 

PS:  much as I hate this InSided platform I must say that the @ thing is a very cool feature.

here’s a post on another thread where I described for under  £35 per play:5 you can have groups and stereo paired speakers using chromecast ...

“ok, so here’s a thing. take a gen 3 chromecast (£25), add an hdmi splitter (£8) , plug chromecast into splitter, plug audio cable from splitter into sonos play:5 , turn on autoplay 

You can now cast to the chromecast, and play music on the speakers. You can also add each chromecast to a speaker group .

And with a little bit of lateral thinking you can cut the audio cable to each speaker to have only L and R wires active, so you have a stereo pair

So, for just over £30 you can “fix” your sonos 5 speakers to use the latest streaming tech. 

Which begs the question - why can’t sonos produce such a device and keep the play:5 speakers working indefinitely - after all the “puck” wouldn’t cost *that* much to make. If they were to offer this at cost, I’m sure that most Sonos owners would be delighted at the forward-thinking and customer support of this premium brand and not the PR disaster it has become.

I have been responsible for my family purchasing 10k+ of sonos gear. I will not be doing so going forwards, and neither will they. Such a shame”

Totally brilliant. I wanted to give it 20 thumbs up. So instead I bump it.

Very sad that this could not be done by Sonos.

@User533936 - Just for clarity, when you refer to “hdmi splitter” are you talking about an HDMI-to-Composite/RCA breakout converter (shown top)? If paired with an RCA-to-StereoMini (shown below) sending that to the 3.5mm stereo line-in of a Sonos Play5 and similar. Or for pairing, running just a mono cable from the respective L/R RCAs out of the adapter?
(That’s the kind of crap I used to have to do for guerilla webcasting setups using all manner of hardware in bizarre configurations. Fun stuff. :) ) 

Danny,

I was offering some of the knowledge learnt as it may be useful. As others have pointed out it may give comfort knowing they can lock down and see what the legacy version does when released. It may be great.

Right.  If you don’t trust Sonos, then you can lockdown before the Legacy version stopping point (whatever it would be called).  You will not be able to add new products or get Sonos to do any bug fix and security updates till you move to the Legacy version though.

A bit like holding off microsoft updates for a week in case they break everything. To some extent the first legacy version will be version 1.0 for some of the code. And these days v1.0 means a beta. I hold off on all OTA updates on my car and let other users test them first, have skipped quite a few entirely.

You can hold off for a week or so without having to lockdown by making sure you have automatic updates off.  Sonos does beta test there updates before release, so it’s likely this will be too.  But if people want to go through all the trouble of locking things down before legacy, that’s their choice.

The positive aspects are that both Spotify, Amazon Music, and TuneIn are still working well even on a version well over a year old. So the services aren’t changing daily. But would rather see a commitment to maintaining the music services where possible, than just security patches.

Agreed, and I reference that point a few times recently as a reason to believe that the Legacy system will be ok, that there is good reason to believe it can go on just fine for years based on the experience of others.

Hardware obsolescence will be a big issue going forward, there is the potential for mankind to produce limitless e-waste. That is not a good thing.

This has been an issue since smart phones came out.  How big of an issue, whether the costs outweigh benefits, is a rather big topic where I think people will have vastly different view points on.

Technically speaking, the physical split (in order to allow just one Chromecast to control a full stereo pair) could be done with two separate RCA-mono to 3.5mm-mono cables like this one, ran to ran to each speaker from L or R RCA channels.

There you have lost me. One chromecast audio can deliver a stereo signal via a multi jack identical at both ends to one 5 unit that can then deliver stereo music when paired with another 5. For it to do this for Connect, it just needs separate left and right jacks at the Connect end. Turn this kind of jack around and use it with the splitter to use the Chromecast video with a 5 unit. With Connect, the cable will have two jacks at both ends.

@train_nerd

I just got around to seeing the excellent and balanced video, thank you. He echoes what I now think, and even have suggested to Sonos more than once this week about the lessons learnt about separating the computer from the durable.

More reinforcements and learnings from the video, that apply to the group on this thread:

1. Multi room in sync may not be as important as Sonos would like you to believe. How many times do you really need/use that feature? He says in his case - once a year. 
  2. In any case, fifteen years ago, only Sonos could do this, now there are many that can.
  3. Use this lesson not just for audio, for all that comes with smart, web enabled interfaces. Else suffer the same consequence for every durable in the home as more and more of them are given web enabled smarts that are physically bundled into the durable like a fridge/TV/microwave/washing machine. Big takeaway there, IMO.

Bottom line, and there I am in full agreement - he says that the practice of dumping the durable just because the smart part can be made smarter is now being shown to be unsustainable given the perceived state of the planet in AD 2020 - even if it is affordable. I suggest this is something to be very aware of for every purchase in the future, not just of audio products.

And of course, this supports the ethos of this thread.

As an aside: I cannot believe that anyone that isn't insane is going to sell a smart car with driver assist features of different assist levels made in a way that the entire car becomes a legacy product after five years, when a more advance assist module becomes available. 

Or, no one sells smart houses where houses have to be dumped because smarter devices are available. What he says is just drilling this thinking downward to the smart durable level.

Agreed. This is all quite the “teaching moment”. I was talking with my dad about all of this earlier today. He doesn’t have any Sonos (not for lack of me extolling the perceived virtues of the system many times in the past) but as we chatted that’s the one thing that becomes clear. He has the moment when he realized his lovely Nest doorbell will meet this fate in the not-so-distant future and as he put it “wow, yeah, it never occurred to me that I’d have to upgrade that.”
IoT has another think coming… coming soon. Coming now.

And hopefully Ryan might get the go-ahead to share a bit of information sooner than May… if for no other reason than to tamp the firestarters a bit (and admittedly I fanned some flame in the first day or so) in these weeks coming. Methinks they doth protest too much.

Just to avoid confusion - whose sincerity are you doubting? Sonos or the firestarters?

Isn’t a matter of sincerity to me. I was talking about the main “clarification” thread and the firestorm there. As Majik mentioned, there are some in there seemingly concerned more about fire-fanning than about solving problems and getting good information. They’re free to. I meant that some more forthcoming  detail from Sonos sooner than later could go a long way in dousing the flame.
… or perhaps not. 

@chickentender  actually that is what he said: IoT is at - or at least should be at - a turning point that this event has surfaced. I wasn’t sure the jargon would be known to all.

But which HiFi user will believe that the DAC in the Dot will be good enough? - sacrilege to even think that, let along blind test it to decide. So, the Link that looks like HiFi kit, to overcome that prejudice, that also exists for the Port by the way - Audiophiles look down on Sonos with the same fervour they look down on Echo. And so I don't think too many Audiophiles will suffer to have even a Link in their set ups. The only buyers will be those that need the additional connectivity options it offers.

I see two other benefits to the Link.  The more prominent reason is that the you don’t need to have the dot, more importantly, the Alexa microphones, directly wired to your AV system.  As an example, you can have a dot sitting on the table next to your couch, instead of the TV/AV stand across the room..where you might need to shout to be heard.  It provides a necessary wireless separation between the microphone and speaker.  True, you could probably accomplish the same thing with using 2 dots that are properly setup with groups, but it’s not as elegant.

The other aspect, and I’m not exactly sure this is in place, but you could use the link to switch inputs (between streaming and line-in) rather than having to use your AV receiver to switch remotes.  It could be that like the playbar and other Sonos products, the devices can automatically switch to the line in sources when audio is detected.  That’s a minor convenience overall I think, but one that tends to go along way in simplifying everyday use.  

In only partially a lighter vein - someone should arm Greta Thunberg with a briefing note about this stunt and point her at Sonos. She will go ballistic and Sonos will be in even deeper doo-doo:joy:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Seeing once again this perfect Echo sync that drives via Line In the Sonos sync across two Sonos systems, raises the question I have asked before - how does Echo achieve this trick? I have a suspicion that it isn't done at a local level at all like Sonos does; somewhere in the Alexa cloud, the Echo group is registered as such - as evidenced to an extent by the fact that Echo groups, unlike Sonos ones, survive power cycling. The music streams then are synced in the cloud and sent at the exact same time to each Echo device in the group. That the music also plays in sync at distant destinations after passing through a bunch of devices en-route demonstrates how well this works. If that is indeed the way this works. And if so, there may not be any Sonos patent infringement by Amazon. And given that Amazon may provide Sonos with a solution to this significant issue of integrating split systems, Sonos may not even want to approach any sleeping dogs there, even if there are any such.

Which leads to one of the biggest issues leading to my lack of trust with the company now.  I agree that two echo dots may end up being a good solution with the echo acting only as a mechanism for syncing legacy and new.  If the solution is so simple, why won't Sonos come up with a cheap bridge device to sync between these.  It wouldn't then require line in devices to do this.  Perhaps Amazon does this in the cloud and sonos does not have the resources.  If yes, state that but don't imply it can't be done.  Once again we have customers proving that the belief that this is strictly a technical issue are wrong. 

Again I believe this is a company that wants to change its business model.  Fair enough, I don't own the company.  But don't pretend it is purely a technical issue.  Both Roon and echo solutions seem able to fix the final issue that is really bothering customers, syncing legacy and modern systems.  My guess is Google devices could do the same.  And these will be the solutions customers will turn to if sonos don't come up with their own solution.  I think that Sonos leadership just has to understand that most people will not just throw away their legacy products to help sonos raise their revenue and make a serious internal effort to maintain full functionality in all devices.   Essentially demonstrate that they are still leaders in this technology.

@chickentender : All Sonos line in jacks are functionally identical. The 5 just has a multi jack, to save space, I guess.

@chickentender  actually that is what he said: IoT is at - or at least should be at - a turning point that this event has surfaced. I wasn’t sure the jargon would be known to all.

I’m going to give this a watch. Sounds like he’s on our page. :)

@Ken_Griffiths and everyone, to clarify: In my quote above I did not intend to convey that “special handling” will in any way be by Sonos - it refers to the special handling being given to their systems by the referred users themselves just now, that will have to be continued by these users. if they do not continue that, the system may end up inadvertently updated to the legacy app version, with consequent bricking of the CR100s and the like. But not, mystifyingly, of the CR200 - ref back to the @Meezer posts here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sage commentary about recent events and the path forward by a guy I respect Leo LaPorte, The Tech Guy.  Watch video at timeline: 56:30 thru 1:05:30

https://twit.tv/shows/the-tech-guy/episodes/1663?autostart=false

Speaks for itself.

Yup, separate the (relatively) durable functionality (big screen, speaker, refrigeration! etc ) from the rapidly changing Internet-facing functionality.

Since the durable stuff is expensive to build while the non-durable (disposable) stuff is cheap to build, this approach works logically and financially.

So, my TV was purchased to act as a dumb screen taking inputs from elsewhere. My focus on purchase was buying the TV with the best screen/visuals for the money, while ignoring the ‘smart’ functionality. Sure, I used the smart functionality initially a little, but quite quickly plugged into it a 3rd party streaming gizmo that was cheap enough to be disposable and replaced every few years.

If I was the person running Sonos I’d hopefully be learning a big lesson from this current episode around customers’ expectations that durable-looking goods should indeed endure. If they don’t endure, then in the future a bunch (maybe a *lot*) of those customers won’t buy quality, expensive durable-looking goods (Sonos) but will buy inexpensive disposable alternatives instead...

For example, a couple of weeks back Google sent me a free Nest Mini, normal cost $49, which works well enough. There’s a couple of locations where I have Play:1s used for low-level background radio for 99% of the time that could easily be replaced by something like a Nest Mini when the time comes. Not as nice as a Play:1, but for 99% of time good enough. And if they needed replacing after several years ownership because the techs become old-hat, then at $49 each it’s not the end of the world. It’s not just about the money: it simple seems ‘wrong’ to be lobbing a hefty speaker into the trash when the internals all work just fine.

In Sonos shoes I’d be trying to get ahead of the curve on this and (if necessary) re-architect the product lines to ensure that durable-looking purchases, such as weighty speakers, are able to endure. By that, I mean I’d be looking to mimic the ‘smart’ TV approach above: by all means sell speakers with built-in streaming tech, but ensure that once that on-board streaming tech becomes outdated that customers will be able to retain the speakers as networked speakers, by using ‘off-board’ streamers for example.

Separate the more durable, ‘stable’ functionality from the non-durable, rapidly changing stuff.

Folks here are looking at using cheap stuff like Echos and Chromecasts that can be plugged into (older) Sonos speakers or other devices possessing line-in sockets, but in Sonos’ shoes I’d be looking at addressing this customer need themselves by offering their own low-cost streaming devices that can be connected to Sonos speaker networks, ie. not physically plugged in, so not requiring line-in sockets. As has been mentioned numerous times here already, Amazon & Google’s pricing has indicated the absurdity of Sonos’s pricing for its Connect/Port type devices. NB an off-board Sonos streaming device of the type I imagine would need to be a fraction of that legacy pricing.

This ‘vision’ has Sonos positioning itself as a vendor of high quality, durable networked speaker systems that insulates you from fast-changing Internet-facing tech for as long as possible. This ‘insulation’ enables you to spend freely on high quality speakers secure in the knowledge they will endure, while knowing there’s a means (at reasonable future expense) of addressing the aspects of the system (such as Internet-facing, streamers, voice) that’ll date more rapidly and have a shorter lifespan.

Sonos would way it’s already followed this vision, and up to a point it has, and that’s allowed it to build a large customer base over the years, but clearly this current episode says that its customers have expectations that Sonos isn’t now meeting.

I don’t think Sonos’s backtracking this past week adds up to much yet, most likely a PR sticking plaster exercise, but we’ll see. My guess is that Sonos doesn’t do anything along the lines I’ve tried to outline above - changing product lines to recognise the need for a separation of durable and less-durable functionality - and just carries on with what it’s done previously. If so, I’d expect customers to become increasingly wary of adding to their Sonos systems, or embarking on new substantial purchases of Sonos kit, while at the lower end for Sonos to continue to face an onslaught from Amazon and Google (+Apple). Sonos to go ex-growth and the future most likely being a steady decline.

I think they have a shot at a different path but they need to act swiftly and boldly else the moment will pass.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I know I would feel much better about Sonos going forward if they created a reasonably cheap bridge device to do this.  It would reassure almost everyone who believes this is just a business decision.  And if we as customers are finding work arounds I do believe a billion dollar company with some of the most experienced engineers in the world in this area could find a brilliant and beautiful solution.  It likely would even allow me to start buying their products again.

And to clarity, I am only referring to comms over the last ten days, starting with the strange way the recycling change has been announced - not the January fiasco. The latter was just down to ineptitude.

All very disjointed, the last ten days comms.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

After I wrote the first post I discovered that my remaining 3 zones served by play 1 units aren't going to remain modern for much longer, with the play 1 containing a mere 64 mb of memory, just marginally better than the 32 in the units jettisoned at this time. And as opposed to the 1024 mb contained in the One units, so the temptation for Sonos to use this idling hardware by jettisoning the play 1s shortly after May or in the next “news” cycle must be strong.

All the more reason then for me to successfully pursue the approach I have set out in this thread.

The play 1 is still sold by Sonos and Ryan still states that Sonos will support products for at least 5 years after they stop selling them. So here's hoping they stick to that. 

Cheers

Sorry for the possibly stupid question, but did I miss something?  There’s a fair amount of references here to a “Legacy Software Version”.  In a quick rescan of the official communiques I can find only references to a “Legacy Mode”.  My translation of that is that come May when “Legacy Mode” is implemented, those older hardware units affected will no longer receive software updates leaving them operating at whatever version they are running at that time.  There will be no change.  So if you’re running 10.6 (or whatever) on the day of the change you will still be running 10.6 from that point forward.  SONOS won’t be working on or releasing a “Legacy Software Version”, So in theory, if you unlock your 8.4 system, it will remain there and your CR100s will be unaffected. However with wiggle terms of bug fixes and security updates, I won't be unlocking my system ever.  I locked my system at 7.4 for my reasons and don’t want to change for anybody else’s reasons.

This is why I suggested SONOS give us access to all older versions of the firmware and controllers, as well as implementing a way to flash the units locally.  In that way I can buy a new Port and flash it to 7.4 and add it to my existing system to replace my 10 year old Connect.  Otherwise my installation will slowly self destruct as units suffer hardware failures.  And to further reiterate, this is all  with the understanding that SONOS will not support this implementation, I am on my own.  SONOS is only providing me with access to the needed software and a tool to flash the unit locallly.