Skip to main content

The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Aug 27, 2024. See release notes.

In this update:

• Accessibility improvements in Settings
  • Improved smoothness and reliability for product setup
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on Android
  • Added Night Sound toggle in Room Settings for sound bars

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

2095 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I hope someone going through these 1800 ( comments to use it as a sounding board of features and functions and bugs which they can make a list from..

1. There was no need for a major overhaul of sonos.

2. ( But you could focus on fixing 2 (two) longstanding bugs. THAT WOULD BE GREAT 

Big Bug 1.Like not being able to edit or export sonos playlists. I have a full playlist on my system. A decade of memories. It's stuck. Can't add to to it edit it export it so I can use it with my steaming account interface instead ... Nothing. Years of posting to support forums or requests to sonos yielded nothing. How about you fix that?

Big bug 2. Issue of specific tracks not playing at all with streaming music from paid accounts like youTube music. Sonos error says , incorrectly, "playback is paused because your account is being used in another location" . Meanwhile your forums close the topic again and again and again - but without resolution.. look it up...many instances over many years....

Users have generously tried  to diagnose and test possible reasons. Describing it in detail. And shared those hypotheses. To no avail. It's like we have to go to Google ourselves to tell them how to interact with sonos or vice versa. But that's your job not mine...

It looks like there there are different region specific version to streaming tracks. It's a google issue (either drm or misreading there the account is actively being used as opposed to where you are signed in) which interfaces badly with Sonos, making it effectively a Sonos issue. 

You guys need to get together this those Google guys so WE/OUR the Customer issue is solved. Finger pointing and denial won't work. 

ITS BEEN A DECADE. and the last 5 years it's coming up on forums again and again. And your support can't solve it. I spent 1.5 days with them and resetting and disconnecting and signing out and reinstalling . I'm sure you can't fix it via support. It's an interface thing between Sonos and the streaming source. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m seeing claims that Local Library functionality has been restored - but I see no evidence of that on my system. I’ve spent well over $5000 on my Sonos equipment and installation, for a large house with music in 7 locations (and multiple devices including subwoofers in more than one of those rooms), so have been really pissed off that this stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I’ve tried removing and re-adding my local library both from my Mac where the music resides (using the Sonos app for Mac) and also using the iOS app, since it seemed to be on a newer version. It still fails to work. The library adds, it scans, the playlists, albums and artists all show up - but when I try to access any playlist or album or artist to look at the tracks within, it fails. Says the item can’t be accessed in MacOS, and a mysterious fail to access issue in iOS.

So is this supposed to be working now? Is there somewhere I can go to complain to the Sonos board and get the current CEO fired? This is the worst software debacle I have ever witnessed, and I have been in software engineering from various sides of the industry for several decades.

I’ve also signed up for Plex, got that working, and Sonos plays the same music via Plex - but so far have been unable to get my playlists (created in iTunes / Apple Music app) into Plex. So it’s all worthless, and now I’m out for the Plex subscription (and other services to move playlists) as well, all to no avail.

Sonos CEO: you are terrible at your job, should quit this industry and go hide on a beach somewhere.

I’m seeing claims that Local Library functionality has been restored - but I see no evidence of that on my system. I’ve spent well over $5000 on my Sonos equipment and installation, for a large house with music in 7 locations (and multiple devices including subwoofers in more than one of those rooms), so have been really pissed off that this stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I’ve tried removing and re-adding my local library both from my Mac where the music resides (using the Sonos app for Mac) and also using the iOS app, since it seemed to be on a newer version. It still fails to work. The library adds, it scans, the playlists, albums and artists all show up - but when I try to access any playlist or album or artist to look at the tracks within, it fails. Says the item can’t be accessed in MacOS, and a mysterious fail to access issue in iOS.

So is this supposed to be working now? Is there somewhere I can go to complain to the Sonos board and get the current CEO fired? This is the worst software debacle I have ever witnessed, and I have been in software engineering from various sides of the industry for several decades.

I’ve also signed up for Plex, got that working, and Sonos plays the same music via Plex - but so far have been unable to get my playlists (created in iTunes / Apple Music app) into Plex. So it’s all worthless, and now I’m out for the Plex subscription (and other services to move playlists) as well, all to no avail.

Sonos CEO: you are terrible at your job, should quit this industry and go hide on a beach somewhere.

It is working. You just need to use an SMBv2 shared library, rather than an http or SMBv1 share, as per the message that Sonos put out in April, earlier this year. See attached.

See these links below to setup an SMBv2 shared library:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/error%2D913%2Don%2Da%2Dmac%2D6899263?postid=16770602#post16770602

@MBGilpin,

Heres my local SMBv2 shared library working on the iPad Sonos controller App. See attached.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I guess my message was not clear - I did all that back in April, and everything was working fine, until week before last when the latest update came along - and broke it again! The mechanism of setting up a share for the local drive and then adding that as if it were a network path, which was working before, now fails.

As I said above, it appears to work - the albums and artists and playlists are all listed - but now when you click on one of them, it fails. That happens whether I add the network path from the iOS app or the Mac app.

To be clear, my setup has the library on local drive on a Mac mini, Sonos Mac app running on that same machine, and adding it as local Music folder used to work, stopped working with the big update in April, then I did the workaround to pretend like it’s a network drive.

What changed week before last in the latest update that broke this?

When will the ability to play line in be added back??? It says improved compression of line in, but I can’t actually switch to a line in input???

Userlevel 1

How to roll back the app version on Android? I'm not going to use the new app.

For a the love of god and over 2500eur of expense. Please make volume and playback work. This is embarrassing 

It’s all working reasonably well on an iDevice controller and the Home network here (see attached) - is there perhaps something restricting/interfering with your mobile LAN/WAN connection? I

No. It's on its own Sonos net. And all our friends are having the same issue

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

For a the love of god and over 2500eur of expense. Please make volume and playback work. This is embarrassing 

It’s all working reasonably well on an iDevice controller and the Home network here (see attached) - is there perhaps something restricting/interfering with your mobile LAN/WAN connection? I

Is this a bot account???

No. It's on its own Sonos net. And all our friends are having the same issue

You have literally just joined these forums and you are unpleasant to one of the most long-standing, helpful and well respected members here.  The man is trying to help you for God’s sake.  Was a simply friendly reply, perhaps with a ‘thank you’ more than you could muster?

My own account here is pending closure and deletion, and the more I read crap like this the more I know I am doing the right thing.  

Please reinstate the ability to shuffle songs from Apple Music. This feature was present in the old version of the app. Currently, I have to use a work-around using the desktop app to load my library and then shuffle songs from there as this still has this option. From there I can advance/rewind tracks from the app. I cannot, however, initiate shuffling songs from the app itself.

Check the firmware on your speakers, if it’s the latest (16.3) Sonos have now blocked use of the older app, as I found out recently when trying to use it!

Userlevel 1

Check the firmware on your speakers, if it’s the latest (16.3) Sonos have now blocked use of the older app, as I found out recently when trying to use it!

I see... Well, they need to start a program to return/refund products, even long after purchase and completely unrelated to warranty clauses. As long as I have my money back, they can do whatever they want with the app, the hardware, make it completely unusable, etc.

I guess my message was not clear - I did all that back in April, and everything was working fine, until week before last when the latest update came along - and broke it again! The mechanism of setting up a share for the local drive and then adding that as if it were a network path, which was working before, now fails.

As I said above, it appears to work - the albums and artists and playlists are all listed - but now when you click on one of them, it fails. That happens whether I add the network path from the iOS app or the Mac app.

To be clear, my setup has the library on local drive on a Mac mini, Sonos Mac app running on that same machine, and adding it as local Music folder used to work, stopped working with the big update in April, then I did the workaround to pretend like it’s a network drive.

What I understand changed, in the recent 16.3 firmware update, is that Sonos switched off the HTTP shares that used the ‘SonosLibraryService’ in the Windows/MacOS Desktop Controllers - you’re probably (still) using that type of share. Have you setup a ‘user’ for Sonos on your share, with the suggested ‘read only’ permissions and re-shared the folder via the new Sonos Controller App - entering the username and credentials of the user that you manually set on the shared library folder? If not, then that’s what you may still need to do.

I hope that assists because HTTP shared folders were removed in the 16.3 update by all accounts. Note aswell that SMBv1 shares are not available also - it must be SMBv2, or higher, that’s used. 

Also note that this is not just something Sonos have done, other companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Apple etc. have got rid of SMBv1/HTTP shares because of the widely mentioned vulnerabilities, which you can perhaps see in an online search via Google etc.

Sonos has mastered modern corporate performance. Where successful dissemlers rise in the corporate hierarchy.

Months of poor service with a clear failure.  Looks like the white house. Is there a dementia diagnosis in the Sonos corporate suite?

Sonos has mastered modern corporate performance. Where successful dissemlers rise in the corporate hierarchy.

Months of poor service with a clear failure.  Looks like the white house. Is there a dementia diagnosis in the Sonos corporate suite?

Thanks you for your input.  Very helpful.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What I understand changed, in the recent 16.3 firmware update, is that Sonos switched off the HTTP shares that used the ‘SonosLibraryService’ in the Windows/MacOS Desktop Controllers - you’re probably (still) using that type of share. Have you setup a ‘user’ for Sonos on your share, with the suggested ‘read only’ permissions and re-shared the folder via the new Sonos Controller App - entering the username and credentials of the user that you manually set on the shared library folder? If not, then that’s what you may still need to do.

I hope that assists because HTTP shared folders were removed in the 16.3 update by all accounts. Note aswell that SMBv1 shares are not available also - it must be SMBv2, or higher, that’s used. 

Also note that this is not just something Sonos have done, other companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Apple etc. have got rid of SMBv1/HTTP shares because of the widely mentioned vulnerabilities, which you can perhaps see in an online search via Google etc.

I only know how to create an SMB share and those were the instructions I had followed (from Sonos) to put in the network shared folder, in the form //mymacmimi.local/Music (with all the appropriate share permissions set up for those folders). I have the buttons set under Options to use SMB. I don’t see anywhere to say SMB v2 vs v1. When I Google how to tell the Mac to use SMB v2, all the responses point to these sames Settings dialogs and say that it negotiates at connection time whether to use v1 or v2 or v3. Is there some other setting I’m missing that would explicitly guide it to use SMB v2?

I do appreciate your help, but as far as I can tell, I’ve already tried everything that you’ve suggested so far.

I only know how to create an SMB share and those were the instructions I had followed (from Sonos) to put in the network shared folder, in the form //mymacmimi.local/Music (with all the appropriate share permissions set up for those folders). I have the buttons set under Options to use SMB. I don’t see anywhere to say SMB v2 vs v1. When I Google how to tell the Mac to use SMB v2, all the responses point to these sames Settings dialogs and say that it negotiates at connection time whether to use v1 or v2 or v3. Is there some other setting I’m missing that would explicitly guide it to use SMB v2?

I do appreciate your help, but as far as I can tell, I’ve already tried everything that you’ve suggested so far.

I’m not familiar with MacOS, but what OS version are you using? - I use Windows mostly, but came across this…(not sure if it helps?)

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/320841/how-can-i-tell-what-version-of-smb-is-negotiated-when-i-connect-to-a-share-from#320842

Edit: Also see this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255234671?sortBy=rank

I’m not going to ‘update’ anything until this forum is consistently reporting that things are working.  I may still bin my whole System and start again somewhere else.  

I’d still welcome any alternative suggestions!!

Please do updates to improve the volume control. By using Apple TV remote control the high mid range, is still not as loud! Very disappointing when we just purchased our new full set of Arc, subs and Era 300. We are expecting better volumes sound than our previous LG soundbar that replaced. Appreciate it!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m not familiar with MacOS, but what OS version are you using? - I use Windows mostly, but came across this…(not sure if it helps?)

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/320841/how-can-i-tell-what-version-of-smb-is-negotiated-when-i-connect-to-a-share-from#320842

I’m on Sonoma 14.5. But this was all working before, with whatever SMB behavior it had. It was the update to the new firmware (16.3) and associated app updates from Sonos that broke a previously working setup with the library added as a network drive.

I’ve seen other replies from Sonos people saying the software is not working so needs a fix. Don’t think I want to hack around trying to force a different SMB behavior, when my system did not change, and it was working before.

But thanks for your help anyway!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’m on Sonoma 14.5. But this was all working before, with whatever SMB behavior it had. It was the update to the new firmware (16.3) and associated app updates from Sonos that broke a previously working setup with the library added as a network drive.

I’ve seen other replies from Sonos people saying the software is not working so needs a fix. Don’t think I want to hack around trying to force a different SMB behavior, when my system did not change, and it was working before.

Shouldn’t Sonos just state what changes they made and what their intention is by making the modifications they made?

That would eliminate all this guess work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Shouldn’t Sonos just state what changes they made and what their intention is by making the modifications they made?

That would eliminate all this guess work.

Are there Sonos release notes for firmware updates? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

When will the ability to play line in be added back??? It says improved compression of line in, but I can’t actually switch to a line in input???

I’m on version 80.04.04 of the new app and the Line In on my Connect at firmware version 16.2 is working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@BVRBVR See https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I see release notes for the app, that’s good, they’re terse but there. I didn’t see firmware release notes so I did a google search for Sonos firmware 16.3. I didn’t find release notes, but I did find other interesting community threads.