Skip to main content

The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Aug 27, 2024. See release notes.

In this update:

• Accessibility improvements in Settings
  • Improved smoothness and reliability for product setup
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on Android
  • Added Night Sound toggle in Room Settings for sound bars

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

And this is after you updated the app to the latest version yesterday? 

Yes both the app on the phone (samsung A54) and the laptop. I had to update the phone app as the app crashed and said update when developer has fixed bug

I've subsequently tried updating the music library but that hasn't resolved it either

Is it compilation albums that are having an issue? If so it’s a known bug.

I would expect that we may find other library issues due to little to none testing. So you might want to start a new thread so you get better exposure to your issue which may allow others with similar to comment on it. 

I use sonos for playing old cds from music library.

It now seems that it has duplicated albums and juggled the order of tracks around.

Very frustrating as playing cds was the main reason to buy sonos.

I can't face dealing with support again as it wastes loads of time.

Any ideas how to rectify the duplicate album issue? ( they're OK on the laptop , so it's not the source material)

And this is after you updated the app to the latest version yesterday? 

Yes both the app on the phone (samsung A54) and the laptop. I had to update the phone app as the app crashed and said update when developer has fixed bug

I've subsequently tried updating the music library but that hasn't resolved it either

This might be part of what you’ve said just now (apologies, I’m not sure), but did your speaker firmware update last week? If not, go to Settings - Manage - System Updates - Check for Updates. 

I don't know what the speaker firmware is but the:Settings - Manage - System Updates, says system is upto date so I think I have done everything

Do a search for an artist, and if you have a composer in the tags the results are duplicated, one for the artist, and one for the composer. Looks like still some work to do.

Do a search for an artist, and if you have a composer in the tags the results are duplicated, one for the artist, and one for the composer. Looks like still some work to do.

Is that work for me or sonos.?

Some albums ( not all) are duplicated multiple times

Also odd songs from albums are missing

I use sonos for playing old cds from music library.

It now seems that it has duplicated albums and juggled the order of tracks around.

Very frustrating as playing cds was the main reason to buy sonos.

I can't face dealing with support again as it wastes loads of time.

Any ideas how to rectify the duplicate album issue? ( they're OK on the laptop , so it's not the source material)

Sonophone app 

I’ve noticed that the battery on my iPhone gets drained by the new app… Anyone else noticing this?

I’m on the latest version of iOS, on an iPhone 15 Pro and have updated all my Sonos products and Sonos app to the latest versions.

Today, according to my iPhone statistics, the Sonos app has used 51% of my battery. I have only used the app a couple of times to start my music and set the volume so it must be a background activity issue 😕  

I’ve noticed that the battery on my iPhone gets drained by the new app… Anyone else noticing this?

I’m on the latest version of iOS, on an iPhone 15 Pro and have updated all my Sonos products and Sonos app to the latest versions.

Today, according to my iPhone statistics, the Sonos app has used 51% of my battery. I have only used the app a couple of times to start my music and set the volume so it must be a background activity issue 😕  

I had similar warnings on my Samsung when the app was crashing. Not sure since I updated the app

Yes, there is another thread somewhere talking about this, with a link to Reddit where it has been discussed too. 8 mins of Sonos screen time and 20 hours operating in the background (!) used 30% of my battery…

Yes, there is another thread somewhere talking about this, with a link to Reddit where it has been discussed too. 8 mins of Sonos screen time and 20 hours operating in the background (!) used 30% of my battery…

Hi @Rhonny, fwiw I am re-jiggering things with my network traffic monitoring to see if the power consumption is due to dramatically higher Wi-Fi traffic. That would happen if the iOS app was repeatedly polling the device firmware in a misguided attempt to improve responsiveness.

Stay tuned.

FWIW - My iPad controller shows I used the App for a total of 45 hours and 40 minutes in past 10 day period.

7 hours 11 minutes on screen

38 hours 29 minutes in the background.

Background Activity shows as 11% battery.

Looking at just ‘Today’ only, the Sonos App activity with the same iPad shows 11% of battery for 1 hour 8 minutes on screen and 10 minutes in the background. (A total of 10 hours 19 minutes total screen time for the iDevice).

edit: In my own use-case it seems to use approx. the same amount of battery as my iOS Mail App (give or take one percent or so).. that’s a very rough comparison, looking at the battery use in the iPad device settings.

Looking at just ‘Today’ only, the Sonos App activity with the same iPad shows 11% of battery for 1 hour 8 minutes on screen and 10 minutes in the background. (A total of 10 hours 19 minutes total screen time for the iDevice).

Interesting @Ken_Griffiths. iPads have dramatically larger batteries than iPhones, so it’s hard to know if your 11% figure is business as usual. All of the 30-50% battery use (in a 24 hour period) reports are on iPhones, where high power drain is much more obvious. Experiments underway: disabling Background App Refresh to see if that mitigates the problem.

Interesting @Ken_Griffiths. iPads have dramatically larger batteries than iPhones, so it’s hard to know if your 11% figure is business as usual. All of the 30-50% battery use (in a 24 hour period) reports are on iPhones, where high power drain is much more obvious. Experiments underway: disabling Background App Refresh to see if that mitigates the problem.

I just added a bit of info. to my post above - in my case it’s about on par with the iOS Mail App on my iPad device - I don’t use the controller that much on my iPhone, but I’ll start using it more and see what I see too. 👍

I think a good comparison might be to compare it to say the iOS web browser (Safari by default) to maybe gauge what amount of battery that uses for the same amount of time on screen and in the background and just see if the Sonos App is going way over what that browser perhaps uses.

I don’t think folks are actively (app in the foreground) using the Sonos app the way they actively use Safari. At least I hope not. 😅 So it would be hard to glean much from that comp.

The issue reported with battery drain is with the Sonos app in the background, in other words, when the app is not being used. Let’s wait and see what happens when those users disable Background App Refresh for the Sonos app. I’m guessing that will mitigate the high battery drain, at which point I’ll report the issue to Sonos.

I don’t think folks are actively (app in the foreground) using the Sonos app the way they actively use Safari. At least I hope not. 😅 So it would be hard to glean much from that comp.

The issue reported with battery drain is with the Sonos app in the background, in other words, when the app is not being used. Let’s wait and see what happens when those users disable Background App Refresh for the Sonos app. I’m guessing that will mitigate the high battery drain, at which point I’ll report the issue to Sonos.

I was thinking more along the lines of opening up Safari and the Sonos App, backgrounding them both and leave the phone sit for a day and see what both perhaps show as their daily use… just a 24 hour test to see if that reveals any huge difference.

I’ve had the setting for background app refresh set to Off all day but the info on my battery still says it’s used up a significant amount, and shows 13h 27min of background activity… So something’s wrong :/ 

(iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17.5.1, Sonos App 80.05.04)

I’ve had the setting for background app refresh set to Off all day but the info on my battery still says it’s used up a significant amount, and shows 13h 27min of background activity… So something’s wrong :/ 

(iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17.5.1, Sonos App 80.05.04)

Hi @MmTt, earlier today we confirmed that disabling background app refresh on iOS does not stop the Sonos app from sucking down power. Disappointingly, the only solution is to fully exit the app.

As an aside, Android users report the same aberrant behavior … though the Android OS includes a cool optional feature called Battery Optimizer that notices the offending program and alerts the user proactively. 

So local library search is back (hurrah!). Still no A-Z list though, which combined with the firmware bug introduced last week is extremely annoying, especially if like me, you have over 100 compilation albums.

Sonos testing appears to have no focus whatsoever on local music streaming. I get that it’s relatively niche, but it’s my main use case. As such, I won’t be buying any Sonos kit ever again. When my speakers eventually need replacing, it will likely be with simple Airplay speakers

same here, restoring local library a search is a step in the right direction - but the A-Z list is what’s really consicuous by its’ absence. I also have my music library on a NAS which contains thousands of tracks, A-Z search is very much needed !

Well, it's the end of July and I spent over an hour with a tech after calling to figure out where all my playlists went. I just figured it was a bug that I'd wait to see if it resolved.  Turns out you know you did it and there is no fix. 

Now I'm reading several very key things got destroyed on an app that was supposed to give us easy access to calming audio (regardless of genre, listening is for learning and or enjoyment is calming).

Then I'm told the app bug fixes were supposedly coming in August.  GO BACK TO WHAT WORKED.  IT'S LIKE A PRESCHOOL TOOL NOW.  YOU'LL LOSE THOUSANDS OF POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS IF YOU DON'T FIX THESE THINGS.  THEN A CLASS ACTION SUIT FOR ALL OF US WHO'VE LOST THOUSANDS $$$ PER CUSTOMER BY YOUR REMOVING FUNCTIONALITY FROM A PRIOR FUNCTIONING ROLLOUT. 

I'm worried that I don't see a new widget in the schedule from the CEO email. Where is the widget? Why get rid of it? 

Has there been any serious discussions about rolling back the app?  Or give customers a choice to?

Has there been any serious discussions about rolling back the app?  Or give customers a choice to?

Sadly I doubt it, they pushed out firmware 16.3 which now blocks use of the old app :-(

For a the love of god and over 2500eur of expense. Please make volume and playback work. This is embarrassing 

For a the love of god and over 2500eur of expense. Please make volume and playback work. This is embarrassing 

It’s all working reasonably well on an iDevice controller and the Home network here (see attached) - is there perhaps something restricting/interfering with your mobile LAN/WAN connection?