Skip to main content

The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Aug 27, 2024. See release notes.

In this update:

• Accessibility improvements in Settings
  • Improved smoothness and reliability for product setup
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on Android
  • Added Night Sound toggle in Room Settings for sound bars

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

Hi Bumper, thanks for the reply... 

Please bring back line in auto play on the iOS app for the Sonos amp!  I feel like I just wasted $700.

Latest news from my system. The Android app has started crashing with an error message about cache corruption. One of my IOS phones can’t get past the agreeing to Terms and Conditions screen. The good news is that the Windows app has started behaving again.

This is definitely not the way to keep and attract customers to what is a very high end priced system.

I wonder how many people read reviews on Amazon before they buy?

To all the haters that are now selling their Sonos speakers after the new app fail, I'd be more than happy to buy all of them for half the price. DM me for details.

Just to remind everyone where this all began, here is what ‘Sonos staff’ posted here more than 2 months ago:

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Certainly a laudable goal. Unfortunately, what Sonos ‘set out to create’ and the havoc it has created bear no resemblance to one another.

I wonder how much of a hard time the C-suite drones will get from the participants on the quarterly earngs call on 7th August?  I should imagine that sales will have tanked and returns will be up substantially.

Meanwhile, the YTD performance of the share price coninues to fall.

Sure, it hasn’t gone the way they would have wanted with the release of their headphones, and with 7th August to prepare for. But pasting in share price graphs has been done to death on here, especially by those wanting to depict a downward trajectory. But zoom out for much better context and it was in a much lower position between Aug and Nov last year, and is better than pre-Covid, and largely flat since, with share price fluctuating between USD$11 and $19. Take a look at the 5Y graph and this latest decline is hardly discernible.

You can always find stats to back up your case but if you don’t also present the full context, it just looks agenda driven. Notwithstanding this, the investor calls will indeed be tricky based on short term performance…

Hard to know how much this has been isolated to make your point, but in the UK, if you search on Amazon for Sonos, the results are above 4 stars.

Ace 4*
Roam 2   4.3*
Era 100   4.4*
Era 300   4.4*
Sub Mini   4.7*
Sub G3   4.8*
Move   4.6*
Beam G2   4.6*
Ray   4.4*
Arc   4.7*

Move 2   3.8* (lowest I could find)

So I’m not sure there is much to negatively influence buyers unless they have been keeping up with this forum or certain tech sites. 

Hard to know how much this has been isolated to make your point, but in the UK, if you search on Amazon for Sonos, the results are above 4 stars.

Ace 4*
Roam 2   4.3*
Era 100   4.4*
Era 300   4.4*
Sub Mini   4.7*
Sub G3   4.8*
Move   4.6*
Beam G2   4.6*
Ray   4.4*
Arc   4.7*

So I’m not sure there is much to negatively influence buyers unless they have been keeping up with this forum or certain tech sites. 

I went to Google, entered Sonos reviews and clicked on the link that came up for Amazon Sonos reviews. That’s it. That’s all I did.

Ace 4*
Roam 2   4.3*
Era 100   4.4*
Era 300   4.4*
Sub Mini   4.7*
Sub G3   4.8*
Move   4.6*
Beam G2   4.6*
Ray   4.4*
Arc   4.7*

I went to Google, entered Sonos reviews and clicked on the link that came up for Amazon Sonos reviews. That’s it. That’s all I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Inc/product-reviews/B072ML3N6K

I’m not sure why such a poor review in that instance as there’s nothing wrong at all with the Sonos Hardware? A lot of fuss about the new Sonos App (I guess) which fortunately is working well for me and my own setup.

In some cases meanwhile, there’s still the ability to use Alexa/SVC/Other voice control, AirPlay, Bluetooth, line-in, Direct Control (Spotify/Amazon) etc. or other Apps like Soro, HiFi-Cast, SonoPad, MusicStreamer, Plex/PlexAmp or Emby, BubbleUPnP and ‘Roon’ to play to the Sonos speakers anyway - so some are perhaps not confined to using just the Sonos App, which is not an audio player anyway, it’s just a ‘remote’  … I’m not complaining at all myself, as there’s always been so much choice and the Sonos speakers have always sounded great to me anyway.

If the new App isn’t working with a Sonos setup then, if practicable, it maybe best to reproduce the issue(s) seen and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

New android app update is crashing on my devices. Anyone else have this problem 

?

Unbelievable. 

At a stroke, and without warning or the option to decline, you remove 100% of the functionality of my system - I don't use streaming services as I prefer to own the music I listen to. Without access to my library my Sonos is a doorstop. 

Imagine if Sonos made cars and updated them...."we're working on adding back the ability to steer and change gear just as quickly as we can'. 

Sure, it hasn’t gone the way they would have wanted with the release of their headphones, and with 7th August to prepare for. But pasting in share price graphs has been done to death on here, especially by those wanting to depict a downward trajectory. But zoom out for much better context and it was in a much lower position between Aug and Nov last year, and is better than pre-Covid, and largely flat since, with share price fluctuating between USD$11 and $19. Take a look at the 5Y graph and this latest decline is hardly discernible.

You can always find stats to back up your case but if you don’t also present the full context, it just looks agenda driven. Notwithstanding this, the investor calls will indeed be tricky based on short term performance…

You want a five year picture, you got it. And not a pretty one. Sonos was a hot property a few years back, traded in the $40s a share. It’s been a disappointment since. This latest decline is consistent with a company that the market perceives as having lost its luster. And if you look at its financials for the past year, no wonder. A public relations fiasco on top of a steep decline in revenue isn’t going to be whatcha call ‘positive.’

Nice try though.

Unbelievable. 

At a stroke, and without warning or the option to decline, you remove 100% of the functionality of my system - I don't use streaming services as I prefer to own the music I listen to. Without access to my library my Sonos is a doorstop. 

Imagine if Sonos made cars and updated them...."we're working on adding back the ability to steer and change gear just as quickly as we can'. 

Sonos hasn’t, and never has, removed local library access.  Read the forums and the numerous help already posted.   And enough of the silly car analogies already.  

OK Andrew, I'll accept the criticism, but how about a little help - how do I restore access to my library. Which has vanished from the app?

You want a five year picture, you got it. And not a pretty one. Sonos was a hot property a few years back, traded in the $40s a share. It’s been a disappointment since. This latest decline is consistent with a company that the market perceives as having lost its luster. And if you look at its financials for the past year, no wonder. A public relations fiasco on top of a steep decline in revenue isn’t going to be whatcha call ‘positive.’

Nice try though.

I assume you’re perhaps not a private investor? I’d have been reasonably happy with that 5 year chart, as it would have netted me a 28%+ return on my initial outlay, minus capital gains tax, that’s only if not held inside a (tax free) ISA here in the UK. That said, I’m not a Sonos/oversea’s investor anyway, as I tend to stick to UK and EU Markets only. Next I’d be looking for the ’dead cat bounce’ it’s likely to happen at some point. Who’s going to get out their check/cheque book first (and when) is the next BIG question🤔?

So how’s that for a try?

Why release the product when it was so obviously half baked?  Just please roll things back to a usable version and release the current thing as a public beta. It is useless. Please don’t steal months of time from people that have spent thousands of dollars on Sonos simply because of some mistake. 

Thousands of dollars spent. Future dollars likely to spend - currently zero. 

This

The point you are completely missing is that in the time frame you reference, technology stocks have generally performed very well. An investment in Sonos has been a bad investment when compared to shares of its peers, made worse by the “courageous app” fiasco. Try comparing Nvidia and Sonos shares for a reality check. (An increase of 2,700% vs 28% over five years.)  Or even Sonos vs the NASDAQ composite index, a proxy for tech stock performance. It has risen by 117.6% in five years. Sonos stock has risen by only 28% in that time. In fact, taking U.S. inflation into account Sonos shares are worth only marginally more today in real terms than they were five years ago. That is your “full context”.

To get access to my music library, I remember an app called Airmusic being mentioned on the forum, so that’s what I’m using in the interim until Sonos sort out a functioning android app.

Thanks...

The point you are completely missing is that in the time frame you reference, technology stocks have generally performed very well. An investment in Sonos has been a bad investment when compared to shares of its peers, made worse by the “courageous app” fiasco. Try comparing Nvidia and Sonos shares for a reality check. (An increase of 2,700% vs 28% over five years.)  Or even Sonos vs the NASDAQ composite index, a proxy for tech stock performance. It has risen by 117.6% in five years. Sonos stock has risen by only 28% in that time. In fact, taking U.S. inflation into account Sonos shares are worth only marginally more today in real terms than they were five years ago. That is your “full context”.

You are hardly making a valid comparison, Nvidia shares are currently vastly overinflated as they are riding the AI bubble, which will pop, at which point Nvidia share prices will suddenly get hit with reality. Nvidia gfx cores are currently the best value product for cuda processing and everyone from home users wanting to learn ML processing to the cloud giants filling data centres as their clients have fallen for the AI hype is buying from Nvidia.

The general IT tech industry, which was crazy both in client demand and salaries the companies were offering to try and get staff to switch jobs early in the pandemic, started correcting their unsustainable hiring and salaries last year. Multiple rounds of layoffs (10-15% +) of their global workforce helped keep their profits up, so share prices didn’t get so badly hit, but the industry and market is still correcting.

Where I work made record profits during the pandemic, I also received multiple job offers direct from companies offering 80-100% increases on my base salary. Working in the right part of the Tech industry and having the right skills during the pandemic was a profitable few years if you were in a position with no ties and could chase the money, but none of us were under any illusion it was sustainable, or that there would even be a job when the pandemic passed and normality returned. It was a short term bubble that would end.

Sonos did well at the beginning of the pandemic for their market segment, shifting boxes of devices for playing music, people suddenly stuck at home wanted devices for playing music around the home. Like a lot of audio devices it’s a one off purchase for a number of years. Coupled with a lack of new must have products in their offerings and people returning back into offices the stock returned to normality quite quickly.

As for their future, Sonos will survive, in reality the mass market and the Internet has a short memory and app ratings and stock prices are meaningless to consumers. They will likely need to adjust projected earnings and the random number analysts will reduce the stock price, but it’s not going to end the company.

Companies have done far worse than Sonos and while there is short term media coverage and outrage on forums and Reddit in the long term it gets forgotten except by the faithful followers until the next time they mess up. Even the mainstream media doesn’t care anymore, it’s old news, so unless the retailers refuse to stock Sonos, it’ll continue being business as usual.

You are hardly making a valid comparison, Nvidia shares are currently vastly overinflated as they are riding the AI bubble, which will pop, at which point Nvidia share prices will suddenly get hit with reality. Nvidia gfx cores are currently the best value product for cuda processing and everyone from home users wanting to learn ML processing to the cloud giants filling data centres as their clients have fallen for the AI hype is buying from Nvidia.

The general IT tech industry, which was crazy both in client demand and salaries the companies were offering to try and get staff to switch jobs early in the pandemic, started correcting their unsustainable hiring and salaries last year. Multiple rounds of layoffs (10-15% +) of their global workforce helped keep their profits up, so share prices didn’t get so badly hit, but the industry and market is still correcting.

Where I work made record profits during the pandemic, I also received multiple job offers direct from companies offering 80-100% increases on my base salary. Working in the right part of the Tech industry and having the right skills during the pandemic was a profitable few years if you were in a position with no ties and could chase the money, but none of us were under any illusion it was sustainable, or that there would even be a job when the pandemic passed and normality returned. It was a short term bubble that would end.

Sonos did well at the beginning of the pandemic for their market segment, shifting boxes of devices for playing music, people suddenly stuck at home wanted devices for playing music around the home. Like a lot of audio devices it’s a one off purchase for a number of years. Coupled with a lack of new must have products in their offerings and people returning back into offices the stock returned to normality quite quickly.

As for their future, Sonos will survive, in reality the mass market and the Internet has a short memory and app ratings and stock prices are meaningless to consumers. They will likely need to adjust projected earnings and the random number analysts will reduce the stock price, but it’s not going to end the company.

Companies have done far worse than Sonos and while there is short term media coverage and outrage on forums and Reddit in the long term it gets forgotten except by the faithful followers until the next time they mess up. Even the mainstream media doesn’t care anymore, it’s old news, so unless the retailers refuse to stock Sonos, it’ll continue being business as usual.

So, let them eat cake 

OK Andrew, I'll accept the criticism, but how about a little help - how do I restore access to my library. Which has vanished from the app?

@Andrew-s, I haven’t seen a reply. I have the same problem as Jordanstown. No library access.

Are you a Sonos customer or a Sonos employee trying to avoid the reality?

Sonos employees are marked as such. @Andrew-s  is not one of them.