The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1596 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@CC22 

Looking back through the thread, I don’t believe he was referring to you when he was talking about not being entirely constructive. Unless I’m misreading the lines in the threads, I think it might have been the intervening threads that were less constructive. But I could be wrong.

I didn’t mean the comparison, that was certainly helpful.  I was talking about our little sock buddy, always trying to light the fuse with some snide comment. 

Yes, I realised that @jgatie.👍 I’ve simply come to expect such comments from them.

@CC22

Looking back through the thread, I don’t believe he was referring to you when he was talking about not being entirely constructive. Unless I’m misreading the lines in the threads, I think it might have been the intervening threads that were less constructive. But I could be wrong.

He wasn’t.  That comment was directed to the one line hit-and-run profanity laced sock puppet post. 

@CC22

He wasn’t.  That comment was directed to the one line hit-and-run profanity laced sock puppet post. 

Correct, I wasn’t referring to what @CC22 had posted.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Coming soon

• Local music library search and playback: mid-June

Having missed the local library search deadline, have they announced a new date or is it a case of wait (and hope)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Coming soon

Having missed the local library search deadline, have they announced a new date or is it a case of wait (and hope)?

Sonos’ June has 50 days. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 17, 2024. See release notes.

• Added numerical values to volume and group-volume sliders
  • Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level on iOS
  • Introduced mute button on Android
  • Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS
  • Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders on Android
  • Added support for SonosNet channel selection on iOS
  • Expanded support for service reauthorization on Android

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Yes incredible, Sonos are really customer oriented 🤐

Me myself and I, they should go in therapy 🤔

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Mac OS Sonos App works like a charm. Even if an update is available, I wait. I just don’t trues them anymore.

I guaranty, the next time I need a Speaker it won’t be a Sonos. I’m done with Sonos. 🙁

Userlevel 1
Badge

After reading all of the hate speech in this thread, on the one hand, I get it. But on the other, having worked in software development a billion years ago I have a very slight grasp of the complexity of what’s involved in making a major upgrade to the Sonos app. I’m not an audio expert, nor do I follow the latest/greatest developments in speakers, software, etc. All I know is that I like their hardware, and their software has generally been useful. What impresses me is that my system (a mix of Sonos components; an older PlayBar, a sub and 2 Sonos:1 speakers I bought initially, with 2 more Sonos: 1s and a Sonos Move I bought several years later) has worked well through multiple generations of software. It sucks that the updated app doesn’t allow a “play next in the current queue” functionality, but I’m confident that Sonos will eventually fix the problems caused by their self-inflicted wounds. In the meantime, my workaround is to use Jump Desktop from my iPad to remote to my iMac & run the OSX version of the Sonos app on the Mac if I want to add tracks to the currently playing  queue. It’s obviously a kluge, but it fits my needs. To paraphrase Louis CK, “…you’re sitting in a chair in the sky!” But then, I’m 76 years old… I remember Victrolas, so I guess I’m easily impressed/satisfied.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 17, 2024. See release notes.

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Sonos speakers are now basically blue tooth speakers, they had a good system but the self-inflicted wound of the rubbish app upgrade has created a lot of damage to their reputation.  I am definitely not buying a Sonos product again. Their speakers performance tends to degrade in performance, overtime.  I boothed up my first Sonos speaker , the old Play 5. It sounded like the type s smart speakers you buy in a supermarket. We deserve better for our money. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Just popping in to see what the latest state of the app is so that I can sell my old Sonos gear on eBay in clear conscience and it looks like the fan boys have now taken over.
It seems bizarre to me that whilst loads of users are having a bit of a nightmare with their sonos systems theirs are working perfectly. To make matters worse there are always suggestions that it is not the app that is the problem but the users experiencing the problems being, and I am paraphrasing here, a bit thick.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Didn't you all understand? Sonos is not interested in supporting old hardware with the new app. Buy new hardware and everything will be fine.

BTW: one old loudspeaker might flaw the whole system. So grab your generous sonos discount and replace ALL of them

Stop with the FUD.  I have a Play:1 dating back to 2013.  My system works fine.  The app is bad enough without people spreading nonsense.

Thanks for piping in. I just tested my two older Play:1’s in the Bedroom (stereo pair) and they work fine. Also, just tested for the first time a Sonos Alarm and it worked fine. Never used a Sonos Alarm before. Has some nice features; I’ve always used Alexa Alarms as was brought to my attention yesterday by a nice user. I can live with my Sonos setup for now, just waiting for some of the missing features to come back. 

Good for you. The new app, take any version, does not work AT ALL with my unchanged system. Grouping, selecting, playing, services, .... it's a mess.

Thanks for piping in. I just tested my two older Play:1’s in the Bedroom (stereo pair) and they work fine. Also, just tested for the first time a Sonos Alarm and it worked fine. Never used a Sonos Alarm before. Has some nice features; I’ve always used Alexa Alarms as was brought to my attention yesterday by a nice user. I can live with my Sonos setup for now, just waiting for some of the missing features to come back. 

Good for you. The new app, take any version, does not work AT ALL with my unchanged system. Grouping, selecting, playing, services, .... it's a mess.

@Audiophone,
It really might be something local in your case, it’s working okay here - it’s also working for friends and family, but we do think the App is a little slow in some areas, but it certainly does work to connect to our Sonos products and play from streaming services/local libraries etc. (SMB v2 or higher shared folders).

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Audiophone,
It really might be something local in your case, it’s working okay here - it’s also working for friends and family, but we do think the App is a little slow in some areas, but it certainly does work to connect to our Sonos products and play from streaming services/local libraries etc. (SMB v2 or higher shared folders).

Thanks for the feedback. Some users tried to reinstall they old system from scratch, upgrade firmwares etc. For some it worked, at least a bit, for others it was worse. So I'm afraid to do that as it may completely destroy my system. I froze my system and still can use it with the old app. But at some point it might get defunct. 

I'm 35+ years SW developer. My boss would kill me if i had delivered such a mess. Was there any testing at all before releasing? 

Thanks for the feedback. Some users tried to reinstall they old system from scratch, upgrade firmwares etc. For some it worked, at least a bit, for others it was worse. So I'm afraid to do that as it may completely destroy my system. I froze my system and still can use it with the old app. But at some point it might get defunct. 

I'm 35+ years SW developer. My boss would kill me if i had delivered such a mess. Was there any testing at all before releasing? 

Seems an unusual thing for a software developer to say that they’re afraid to reinstall a controller App - it has no effect on the Sonos system, as it’s merely a ‘remote’ - you’re just generating a new remote to control your setup.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Seems an unusual thing for a software developer to say that they’re afraid to reinstall a controller App - it has no effect on the Sonos system, as it’s merely a ‘remote’ - you’re just generating a new remote to control your setup.

I will be generous and assume you misunderstood his comment. Deleting the app and reinstalling is a trivial matter -- agreed.  But some have suggested in other threads to factory reset all Sonos products and create a new Sonos account and then re-add the Sonos products to the new account.  Essentially a complete re-do, which some have reported solved some issues but others say did not help. Depending on the household and location and number of Sonos devices this is a non-trivial exercise.  Sonos has gotten this badly wrong.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 17, 2024. See release notes.

Coming soon

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Sonos speakers are now basically blue tooth speakers, they had a good system but the self-inflicted wound of the rubbish app upgrade has created a lot of damage to their reputation.  I am definitely not buying a Sonos product again. Their speakers performance tends to degrade in performance, overtime.  I boothed up my first Sonos speaker , the old Play 5. It sounded like the type s smart speakers you buy in a supermarket. We deserve better for our money. 

You mention turning Sonos speakers into Bluetooth speakers, I’m confused, I know they are still Wi-Fi speakers, but why, every time I open the app, I get a box directing me to settings to turn on Bluetooth for accessories? I never do that, since Bluetooth is a drain on battery life, but what accessories are they talking about? And is this why you are thinking the speakers are now Bluetooth?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

No, you're wrong. The new app also asks for a firmware update of the speakers. But not always. New firmware means it may not work anymore with old app. But a guarantee that it will work with new app? Nope.

Sonos seems to push more onto a server based system now. It seems that the app in many cases is contacting the local speaker AND the remote server. That's why they discontinued the standalone windows app and you now have a web interface.

The Sonos app is no more a mere controller app, it's a thin client relying on a server.

The old app did not work outside your wifi. No need, as the speakers are stationary. 

But with headphones you also want to listen to your services, your music, etc outside the house. So the major control is shifted towards central servers. Maybe they did not tune the load balancing yet, that's why it's so slow. 

No, you're wrong. The new app also asks for a firmware update of the speakers. But not always. New firmware means it may not work anymore with old app. But a guarantee that it will work with new app? Nope.

Sonos seems to push more onto a server based system now. It seems that the app in many cases is contacting the local speaker AND the remote server. That's why they discontinued the standalone windows app and you now have a web interface.

The Sonos app is no more a mere controller app, it's a thin client relying on a server.

The old app did not work outside your wifi. No need, as the speakers are stationary. 

But with headphones you also want to listen to your services, your music, etc outside the house. So the major control is shifted towards central servers. Maybe they did not tune the load balancing yet, that's why it's so slow. 

The Sonos Ace Headphones do not use a WiFi connection, other than a 5Ghz ad-hoc connection with the Sonos Arc - The Ace has never connected to our WiFi router. It’s not possible to do that.

I use my Roams and Moves (from Home) at multiple locations too - a single Sonos system/Household can store up-to 16 WiFi networks - here’s some of mine in the old Sonos App (attached). Just to add I run a vpn server on my Linux NAS anyway, so remote connection to my Home Sonos system has never particularly been an issue.

If you do not wish to upgrade your firmware, which is your prerogative) then there’s perhaps not much more you can do - it’s likely why your App is maybe not performing as it should be.

What about queues that are longer than 100 songs?

I lost all my playlists built on Amazon Music as a source in the old app.  I have now rebuilt them using the Amazon app.  I have a “Music Master” with over 3000 of my favorite songs but when trying to play it only takes the first 100 in alphabetical order so I’m stuck in only A/B and it won’t shuffle.

My short term fix is to use the Amazon app with airplay but that doesn’t work for my old play:1 with sub I use outside….no airplay.  So infuriating…

When will this be fixed and you no longer limit my usage?  Date for fix please!!

What about queues that are longer than 100 songs?

I lost all my playlists built on Amazon Music as a source in the old app.  I have now rebuilt them using the Amazon app.  I have a “Music Master” with over 3000 of my favorite songs but when trying to play it only takes the first 100 in alphabetical order so I’m stuck in only A/B and it won’t shuffle.

My short term fix is to use the Amazon app with airplay but that doesn’t work for my old play:1 with sub I use outside….no airplay.  So infuriating…

When will this be fixed and you no longer limit my usage?  Date for fix please!!

Yes, I’m seeing this 100 track limit too with Amazon Music Unlimited. Not sure if this restriction is down to Amazon, or Sonos. It’s not clear either, if it’s intended, or maybe a bug?

I have 8 Sonos speakers. I never had any connection issues on my network until the new app. Immediately after the new app:

1. The app drops connection to some of my speakers intermittently.
  2. The app will stop playing music from some speakers--even though it shows the speakers as connected and playing music (my ears can tell the app is wrong).
  3. I’ve tried hard resets on all speakers including using ethernet cable to reconnect them to the network. That doesn’t work. And sometimes, that’s made it worse--sometimes, the result of that is that the app will recognize the speaker I connected but no longer recognize others.
  4. I tried using the OS app on my Mac instead of my phone. That app no longer works either.

Great job, Sonos! No one will give us an honest answer about what this new app was meant to do. That suggests to me that there’s something very very wrong going on here. Please give us answers and give us help!

I have 8 Sonos speakers. I never had any connection issues on my network until the new app. Immediately after the new app:

1. The app drops connection to some of my speakers intermittently.
  2. The app will stop playing music from some speakers--even though it shows the speakers as connected and playing music (my ears can tell the app is wrong).
  3. I’ve tried hard resets on all speakers including using ethernet cable to reconnect them to the network. That doesn’t work. And sometimes, that’s made it worse--sometimes, the result of that is that the app will recognize the speaker I connected but no longer recognize others.
  4. I tried using the OS app on my Mac instead of my phone. That app no longer works either.

Great job, Sonos! No one will give us an honest answer about what this new app was meant to do. That suggests to me that there’s something very very wrong going on here. Please give us answers and give us help!

I don’t think the Staff can assist you here with the issues mentioned. You maybe best to first reproduce the issues, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

I’ve submitted three diagnostic reports and spent an hour on chat. They couldn’t resolve the issues. 

I’ve submitted three diagnostic reports and spent an hour on chat. They couldn’t resolve the issues. 

So presumably your matter has been ‘raised up’ to a level 2 engineer. Is that not the case?