Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 24, 2024. See release notes.

Last week we released a new version of the Sonos app for iOS.

As announced, today we are releasing a new version for Android as well.

iOS - (Released on September 19)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

iOS Service Pack - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.07

• Resolved a bug affecting users with multiple language keyboards configured
  • Resolved a bug preventing users with VoiceOver enabled from accepting the terms and conditions during setup

Android - (Available starting today

Version 80.09.04

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

Same for me. I just set up alarms on three different speakers using different sources and none did anything. 

I’ve deleted and re configured alarms, rebooted speakers and still nothing.

Did a system update check and it’s saying everything is up to date (79.1-53290)

Leave the alarm set and see if it goes off at another time.  Some people are finding their system is set to another time zone, and this would confirm if this is the case.

try logging into your online account t and check g your location.  Try deleting your address/location and teetering it — this may reset your timezone.  Else it may be a bug yet to be fixed.

Interesting approach @Andrew-s. I just logout from the app and logon. Where do you find the address/location of your account ? In the app profile ? In the web ?

Thank you so much @jgatie I currently use the latest version on iOS devices and on the manage setting I have the ability to set up alarms. But my sonos never play music at the time.
I concluded that this features isn’t fully implemented.

For you, this feature is up and ready so I must raise a ticket ?

Are you maybe trying to play music from a local library for your alarm? I saw a few posts that said users couldn’t get alarms to work with local music, only streaming.

No @dpg50000, i try to play the default Sonos schime in order to reduce the potential root cause of malfunction :)

Interesting approach @Andrew-s. I just logout from the app and logon. Where do you find the address/location of your account ? In the app profile ? In the web ?

Go to Sonos.com and log in to your account.  Your profile / address details are stored there.  I must confess I can’t vouch for this as a solution, and I find it odd that the speakers derive their location from here.  So I’m just repeating what others have reported.   I don’t use alarms myself so I’ll try setting one when I get home.  

Thank you. The address on my sonos.com profile is correct. Really interested by your tests @Andrew-s and your feedbacks

What about Sonos Playlists?  When will they be back???

Thank you. The address on my sonos.com profile is correct. Really interested by your tests @Andrew-s and your feedbacks

Hi — I’ve tried alarms and mine work fine.  I’m afraid I can’t offer up any more advice.  I would try leaving your alarm set and see if it goes off at the ‘wrong’ time — this would at least confirm to you if your system holds the wrong time, even if the way to remedy this remains unclear for now.

Fix the issue with adding surrounds to the ray! This used to work fine. Now they keep disappearing in app and aren’t sending a signal while linked as surrounds. They are old Play 1s but they worked fine until I had to reset everything because of a new WiFi name and had to use the new app and now it’s terrible. Support for adding surrounds more simply and consistently in an update is necessary.

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 17, 2024. See release notes.

• Added numerical values to volume and group-volume sliders
  • Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level on iOS
  • Introduced mute button on Android
  • Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS
  • Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders on Android
  • Added support for SonosNet channel selection on iOS
  • Expanded support for service reauthorization on Android

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

This app is terrible and Sonos should fix it faster. I can’t even play an album reliably for my kids at night without it turning off suddenly or a speaker all of a sudden pairing with another speaker despite my fixing the settings over and over again. It’s like I have a house full of speakers I can’t use. I feel trapped by this and I’m very upset. Sonos is not fixing this fast enough. 

Hello the community,

I received the official answer from the Sonos support regarding Alarms. In order  to configure your alarm in France, I have to put 2 hour before the desired (because I’m on GMT+2). It’s totally incredible but it works.

Hello the community,

I received the official answer from the Sonos support regarding Alarms. In order  to configure your alarm in France, I have to put 2 hour before the desired (because I’m on GMT+2). It’s totally incredible but it works.

Interesting. Hasn’t worked for me. I set 4 alarms, on the hour, every hour on the same device with different sources for each and after four hours, nothing has activated for me. My time zone is GMT +1. 

Can’t understand why Sonos don’t do a rollback to the old app. We also got a lot more stability issues with Sonos now - wondering if we should sell the entire system and start with something else - any tips on who is best now? 

Thank you. The address on my sonos.com profile is correct. Really interested by your tests @Andrew-s and your feedbacks

Hi — I’ve tried alarms and mine work fine.  I’m afraid I can’t offer up any more advice.  I would try leaving your alarm set and see if it goes off at the ‘wrong’ time — this would at least confirm to you if your system holds the wrong time, even if the way to remedy this remains unclear for now.

The only thing I can say about alarms is that before this app upgrade, I had one alarm set for 19:30 local time to take my meds. It is very important that I take my seizure meds each evening at a certain time, and it has always worked for me and not affected by this crazy update. And I don’t use music or a radio station, since I need to get used to hearing one sound and then I tell Alexa to “stop the alarm”.  

The only thing I can say about alarms is that before this app upgrade, I had one alarm set for 19:30 local time to take my meds. It is very important that I take my seizure meds each evening at a certain time, and it has always worked for me and not affected by this crazy update. And I don’t use music or a radio station, since I need to get used to hearing one sound and then I tell Alexa to “stop the alarm”.  

If you’re asking Alexa to stop the Alarm, then you are not using Sonos Alarms - you are using an Alexa Alarm, which are entirely different, but are also available on Sonos products, but each alarm settings are held in the Amazon Alexa App, not the Sonos App. Some people can often get confused between the two so maybe investigate that a little further. Hope that helps.👍

Everything is so sluggish now. 

The app is so slow and frustrating to use. The music takes forever to stop or play on speakers. It takes even longer to actually navigate to your chosen song or album. 

it’s not intuitive to navigate the app anymore. The horrible slow transitions make it a poor experiance for a ‘premium’ speaker brand. 

Hello the community,

Interesting. Hasn’t worked for me. I set 4 alarms, on the hour, every hour on the same device with different sources for each and after four hours, nothing has activated for me. My time zone is GMT +1. 

I think I may have figured it out.

I turned off my 1Blocker Firewall and then set a new alarm and switched the 1Blocker Firewall back on.

Then with the 1Blocker Firewall still activated I set up other alarms, all of which have now worked.

Doing a bit of other digging, I’m guessing that Sonos have built in a lot of stuff with Airship, eg. Feature flags etc, which 1Blocker Firewall stops.

Deactivating it, even temporarily, while doing an alarm function seems to have enabled it to work.

Frustrating stuff. 

Hello the community,

I think I may have figured it out.

I turned off my 1Blocker Firewall and then set a new alarm and switched the 1Blocker Firewall back on.

Then with the 1Blocker Firewall still activated I set up other alarms, all of which have now worked.

Doing a bit of other digging, I’m guessing that Sonos have built in a lot of stuff with Airship, eg. Feature flags etc, which 1Blocker Firewall stops.

Deactivating it, even temporarily, while doing an alarm function seems to have enabled it to work.

Frustrating stuff. 

Yeah I’ve had similar issues. You may find that new features don’t show up in your app as Sonos releases updates because of this. 

Available now

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

What about Sonos Platlists?

If you’re asking Alexa to stop the Alarm, then you are not using Sonos Alarms - you are using an Alexa Alarm, which are entirely different, but are also available on Sonos products, but each alarm settings are held in the Amazon Alexa App, not the Sonos App. Some people can often get confused between the two so maybe investigate that a little further. Hope that helps.👍

Thank you for the explanation. I’ll definitely check into this and check out the differences. I’m learning so many different features and user options that I never knew existed. I can see why so many Sonos users are upset. 

Thanks for the quick response 

my library is stored on a NetgearReadyNAS

This is attached to a win10 machine

Not sure how to solve this

You need to contact Netgear and get the NAS running SMB v2 or SMB v3.  Then download the Sonos PC app from here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Add your library using the Sonos PC app (Manage > Music Library Settings) and then check to see if it is on the mobile app.  If it isn’t, close out of the mobile app entirely and restart.  If no again, reset the mobile app, restart, then choose to connect to an existing system.  That should get your library back. 

Thanks for that fix All working fantastic and populated on my iPhone and iPad etc

i checked the Netgear ReadyNas 442 and that had the correct software. Win 10 was the problem and I gave up but went to my iMac and it worked a treat. So thank you

What about Sonos Playlists?  When will they be back???

I don’t know the schedule. SONOS playlists are stored to the players and will be retained while the controllers are fixed. Factory Reset will delete SONOS Playlists. Don’t Factory Reset without further consult.

Available now

Coming soon

When I pick a song and click play it doesn’t even play the selected song. It’s harder to find music and services. Please provide a roll back version until you have fixed the basic functionality 

Available now

Coming soon

When I pick a song and click play it doesn’t even play the selected song. It’s harder to find music and services. Please provide a roll back version until you have fixed the basic functionality 

Same here.  Feel your pain.  Search is rough.