Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 24, 2024. See release notes.

Last week we released a new version of the Sonos app for iOS.

As announced, today we are releasing a new version for Android as well.

iOS - (Released on September 19)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

iOS Service Pack - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.07

• Resolved a bug affecting users with multiple language keyboards configured
  • Resolved a bug preventing users with VoiceOver enabled from accepting the terms and conditions during setup

Android - (Available starting today

Version 80.09.04

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

I’ve submitted three diagnostic reports and spent an hour on chat. They couldn’t resolve the issues. 

So presumably your matter has been ‘raised up’ to a level 2 engineer. Is that not the case?

I don’t know. My chat ended with the person saying I need to call customer service tomorrow with my case number (06452467). I will do so. I really want this to work. I have thousands of dollars invested in my Sonos system and I just want it to work. I’ve always been pleased with the system and have recommended Sonos to everyone. Until this new app has wreaked havoc with my ability to stay connected to my speakers. Thanks for your help.

Coming soon

• Local music library search and playback: mid-June

Having missed the local library search deadline, have they announced a new date or is it a case of wait (and hope)?

Sonos’ June has 50 days. 

And they did not specify which year.

I’ve submitted three diagnostic reports and spent an hour on chat. They couldn’t resolve the issues. 

So presumably your matter has been ‘raised up’ to a level 2 engineer. Is that not the case?

I don’t know. My chat ended with the person saying I need to call customer service tomorrow with my case number (06452467). I will do so. I really want this to work. I have thousands of dollars invested in my Sonos system and I just want it to work. I’ve always been pleased with the system and have recommended Sonos to everyone. Until this new app has wreaked havoc with my ability to stay connected to my speakers. Thanks for your help.

That’s okay. I hope things get sorted for you when you call in.👍

@CC22

Looking back through the thread, I don’t believe he was referring to you when he was talking about not being entirely constructive. Unless I’m misreading the lines in the threads, I think it might have been the intervening threads that were less constructive. But I could be wrong.

He wasn’t.  That comment was directed to the one line hit-and-run profanity laced sock puppet post. 

Correct, I wasn’t referring to what @CC22 had posted.

Well, given that you referred to my comments in your post it was an understandable mistake to make on my part.

I’ll just leave a general call-out for more civility, less name-calling and less snide asides about people’s experiences to avoid it in future

I need to downgrade my older amps to S1. It says future update will allow this however there is no mention of when. I (stupidly) downloaded the new Sonos app thinking (stupidly) I would be able to finally link my older amps with my new Arc but of course I was wrong and now I'm stuck. Please help me downgrade back to S1 before I throw in the towel on Sonos!!! I've invested way too much time and money with this company!

Ok Keith,

Was totally disappointed to come back to my house, find my Sonos app was upgraded and no longer supported music from my NAS and iPhone. After wasting an hour on Sonos support, I found out the version of Sonos I now have doesn’t support these features and then I found this thread about future support! Are you guys for real? So, it appears that your business model must be to make money off of streaming subscriptions since this is all you support. You force your user base to have to listen to whatever is on a stream as opposed to playing music from our collection that we prefer to listen to. Not to mention the ads. A wireless music environment with freedom of choice was your attraction back when i found your product. Maybe I’m a minority but I find your latest move disappointing. I just want to listen to music in my house without being forced into a subscription service.  Hope you remember your company roots. Otherwise, your customer base will find other solutions. I plan to research new products. 

Jim

Ok Keith,

Was totally disappointed to come back to my house, find my Sonos app was upgraded and no longer supported music from my NAS and iPhone. After wasting an hour on Sonos support, I found out the version of Sonos I now have doesn’t support these features and then I found this thread about future support! Are you guys for real? So, it appears that your business model must be to make money off of streaming subscriptions since this is all you support. You force your user base to have to listen to whatever is on a stream as opposed to playing music from our collection that we prefer to listen to. Not to mention the ads. A wireless music environment with freedom of choice was your attraction back when i found your product. Maybe I’m a minority but I find your latest move disappointing. I just want to listen to music in my house without being forced into a subscription service.  Hope you remember your company roots. Otherwise, your customer base will find other solutions. I plan to research new products. 

Jim

@Jim Labo the new mobile app does support access to personal music library. However Sonos has dropped support for a very old version (SMBv1) of the SMB file sharing protocol that's used to access network shares. This might be your issue. If you haven't already done so, see if you can disable SMBv1 on your NAS and use SMBv2 or higher. After updating your NAS settings its possible you need to re-add the path to your library. The new mobile app temporarily lacks ability to do this but it can still be done via the desktop app: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

Our Sonos music experience has drastically diminished and the recent updates didn’t fix it. We have 7 speakers in our home for at least the last 8 years.

The app is incredibly slow and often doesn’t recognize what music is playing where, so we’re unable to adjust music, volume or change groupings. 

When trying to select a new song or playlist, it often freezes up and does nothing, or responds only after a minute or more. 

The WORST is the sound quality which often starts of staticky and the connection spotty — like listening to an old-school out of tune radio. 

The alarms are also not often playing the assigned playlist and instead play the annoying alarm sound. We set up music to play throughout the home in the morning and it’s not pleasant to have that noise playing as you’re starting your day (and then dealing with the terribly slow and often unresponsive app to try and turn it off). Would be great to be able to turn that back up alarm sound off. 

Why don’t you bozos run two apps in tandem while you fix your collective poo?

What about making physical volume buttons finally work as literally every other app supports? Or a Lock Screen widget?

"Implementing support for physical volume buttons and a Lock Screen widget would greatly enhance usability."

"The new Sonos app and future feature updates promise exciting enhancements."

Ok Keith,

Jim

@Jim Labo the new mobile app does support access to personal music library. However Sonos has dropped support for a very old version (SMBv1) of the SMB file sharing protocol that's used to access network shares. This might be your issue. If you haven't already done so, see if you can disable SMBv1 on your NAS and use SMBv2 or higher. After updating your NAS settings its possible you need to re-add the path to your library. The new mobile app temporarily lacks ability to do this but it can still be done via the desktop app: 

Yes, that is exactly what I had to go through. I managed to get all my music back on my older WD NAS drive that supports SMB2.   All appears to be working fine until Sonos comes out with an update that would disable this also. I’m reluctant every day to open my IOS app and to find that I lost everything again due to an update of my app. 

Ok Keith,

Jim

Thank you for the link osm. 

Playbase does not support Apple Music's Lossless sound quality. Why? Why? Why? This is unfair to Playbase users!

Playbase does not support Apple Music's Lossless sound quality. Why? Why? Why? This is unfair to Playbase users!

Is that official? Or just what you’re finding?

Confirmed by Keith, Sonos rep on Reddit. He says there are other players not supported but hasn’t confirmed which ones yet (likely older like p:3, playbar, play:1)

The Playbase design predates the hardware needed to play Apple Lossless.  As you can see here, the hardware incapable of playing Apple Lossless were all designed over a half decade ago:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/apple-music

Some netizens said that the sub gen 2 in the speaker combination does not support Apple Music lossless music playback.

Playbase cannot display the lossless tag when playing Apple Music, but beam gen2 and one sl can display the lossless tag normally.

Some netizens said that sub gen2 does not support Apple Music lossless music playback

If that was the case, as a Sub Gen 2 owner myself (with Arc and 2xSymfonisk surrounds), then my home theatre set-up wouldn’t show the Lossless logo wording when playing Apple Music lossless tracks. Any incompatible link in the set-up would prevent it. But Lossless is clearly written on my Now Playing screen…

Here’s the official statement:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/apple-music

Can all Sonos products stream lossless audio from Apple Music?

Most Sonos products can stream lossless audio from Apple Music. However, some older products don’t support the required streaming protocol (HLSv7) and will stream audio at a lower quality. The following Sonos products won’t stream lossless audio from Apple Music:

• Connect (Gen 1)
  • Connect:Amp
  • Play:1
  • Play:3
  • Playbar
  • Playbase
  • Sub (Gen 1)

I love that Keith from Sonos said he dug a little deeper to find out, when the info is on the Sonos website.

I love that Keith from Sonos said he dug a little deeper to find out, when the info is on the Sonos website.

I cross posted that due to my slow ass internet while the link to the website was posted. His reply in Reddit was before the Sonos docs were updated in his defence :)

I cross posted that due to my slow ass internet while the link to the website was posted. His reply in Reddit was before the Sonos docs were updated in his defence :)

I did wonder if I was being harsh after posting. Apologies, Keith… Kudos to you, being out there helping.

The latest update of the app has just gone live, folks.

The changelog hasn’t been updated online that I can see. The app stores just says “Improved app connectivity for newly set up Sonos systems”...