Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 24, 2024. See release notes.

Last week we released a new version of the Sonos app for iOS.

As announced, today we are releasing a new version for Android as well.

iOS - (Released on September 19)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

iOS Service Pack - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.07

• Resolved a bug affecting users with multiple language keyboards configured
  • Resolved a bug preventing users with VoiceOver enabled from accepting the terms and conditions during setup

Android - (Available starting today

Version 80.09.04

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

Why would SONOS remove the basic feature of its original software.  I wasted 120 minutes (40 minutes waiting on hold) with a SONOS tech who blamed my inability to access my iTunes Music on my Apple account and pwd.  She told me to contact Apple to fix the problem.  I spent 90 min with Apple (no wait time for tech) and it was in fact the Apple tech who discovered the issue was SONOS problem not Apple’s.  The SONOS tech as obviously untrained and unaware of the new app’s inability to play music from a iMAC music folder.  SONOS needs to fix this soon.  This is ridiculous!  

What about queues that are longer than 100 songs?

I lost all my playlists built on Amazon Music as a source in the old app.  I have now rebuilt them using the Amazon app.  I have a “Music Master” with over 3000 of my favorite songs but when trying to play it only takes the first 100 in alphabetical order so I’m stuck in only A/B and it won’t shuffle.

My short term fix is to use the Amazon app with airplay but that doesn’t work for my old play:1 with sub I use outside….no airplay.  So infuriating…

When will this be fixed and you no longer limit my usage?  Date for fix please!!

Yes, I’m seeing this 100 track limit too with Amazon Music Unlimited. Not sure if this restriction is down to Amazon, or Sonos. It’s not clear either, if it’s intended, or maybe a bug?

Hey Keith, any visibility to a fix for this?   Thanks!

Since I updated to the “improved” ” app NOTHING WORKS. I cannot control my play 5, my move, my sound bar and my sub woofer. Nice job geniuses. You have turned several thousand   dollars worth of equipment into a worthless heap of crap.I have stopped trying to login because it’s pointless 

The  ios version released yesterday won’t allow me to search/select ANY audio. The GUI “loads” forever on the home screen. Yes, I tried to force-restart the app. 
the experience now went from extremely bad to not-existing. 
And when are we getting Artist-radio on Tidal back?

I feel like my many years of investing in Sonos (I have about 20 players) seem so pointless now that nothing works! I can’t believe how bad this ehole app “upgrade” has been handled. 

Updated the app yesterday, got a firmware update for my Sonos today. Still no local music library search…… We’re past the middle of June now and the silence from Sonos is deafening. Never buying another piece of kit again from these charlatans.

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 17, 2024. See release notes.

• Added numerical values to volume and group-volume sliders
  • Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level on iOS
  • Introduced mute button on Android
  • Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS
  • Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders on Android
  • Added support for SonosNet channel selection on iOS
  • Expanded support for service reauthorization on Android

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

I want my playlists Qobuz back! When ?

Where do I start? It’s like Sonos has seriously fell off the cliff when it comes to their software development recently...

The latest Sonos app update has completely lost the plot and fails to connect to the solitary speaker on the network. 

I run Sonos at home and at the office where every freakin’ time it has issues switching back and forth between the networks. It’s not hard to cache the information about the network to go “Oh! I’ve been here before and know what is on the network” rather than taking an incredible amount of time to self discover what’s on the network if you’re lucky.

The play.sonos.com website seems to be quite happy to detect each setup, so why can’t the apps? The lag is ridiculously slow though and needs to be overcome or it needs to be shutdown.

The Windows app seems to be given no more support when it is the most reliable application in your software suite. 

And I hope you guys aren’t drinking the AI coolaid because that is a seriously bad mistake.

Updated the app yesterday, got a firmware update for my Sonos today. Still no local music library search…… We’re past the middle of June now and the silence from Sonos is deafening. Never buying another piece of kit again from these charlatans.

Updated to newest IOS app version yesterday and this morning NOTHING WORKS!  WTF!!

Updated to newest IOS app version yesterday and this morning NOTHING WORKS!  WTF!!

Updated to newest IOS app version yesterday and this morning NOTHING WORKS!  WTF!!  Really PISSED!!!!

“Unable to load content”. Everything was working fine before the update.

Available now

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Sonos - I did yesterday’s IOS update and upon starting the app where the tiles would normally be for Sonos Favorites, your app states “unable to load content” and no tiles are displayed. So I opened the bottom portion, which I might refer to as the mini player or current played song, and it’s playing!?  So I’m letting it go through the playlist and it seems to be playing okay. So just the tiles in the Sonos Favorite area are not displayed. 

Available now

Coming soon

Sonos - I did yesterday’s IOS update and upon starting the app where the tiles would normally be for Sonos Favorites, your app states “unable to load content” and no tiles are displayed. So I opened the bottom portion, which I might refer to as the mini player or current played song, and it’s playing!?  So I’m letting it go through the playlist and it seems to be playing okay. So just the tiles in the Sonos Favorite area are not displayed. 

Strange - After opening and closing the app a number of times, now the Sonos Favorites tiles came back. I thought this might have been the case yesterday after performing the update or I would have noticed something was wrong. So where is this content stored since it was indicating that it could not load content? 

I cannot get my QoBuz playlist to play via new app. Is this a known problem 

I cannot get my QoBuz playlist to play via new app. Is this a known problem 

Known to those of us here on the forums, yes. Known to Sonos is another matter, I suppose, given how underwater they are with bugs and yet-to-be-implemented features.

Add the S2 to S1 downgrade feature back!

Having updated the app again, my local network drive disappeared and there is no way to add it through the Android app. 

How can they keep going backwards?

latest update doesnt let my youtube music content show up now. So now my speakers are just completely useless. I was going to wait to post a review or anything until they got stuff fixed but this is ridiculous. first my local library vanishes with the update and we get a promise that it will be coming back in a future update. i thought, oh well, at least i have youtube music to get me by until i have access to the local library again...WELL I GUESS THAT IDEA IS JUST FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET NOW!!!! $3000 worth of speakers and now its completely useless. I could run radio i guess, but that means the customers in my busines would be forced to listen to your stupid ads so thats out of the question. What a worthless and stupid investment this was. Thanks for ruining your entire business a month after i bought my stuff.

I have 3 homes all loaded with Sonos. This weekend I felt like tossing it all out on the street. This new APP is absolute garbage!  It takes forever to access my system - I just listened to music for 10 min after pressing the “pause” button and I can change volume faster if I walk around and manually do it. What in the name of all things holy did you guys do to this App. My system is useless - everywhere.. come on! It’s not like this is some free App.. I have thousands invested in your products and have loved them for years… This is very very ugly!

Coming soon

Mid-June has passed us by… the latest update (June-24th) 80.03.04 (Android), 80.03.07 (iOS) did not mention these in the release notes, so I assume these will be July…. sometime.

At this rate we might have a decent functioning app by Christmas

Check out this load of hogwash:

”We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.”

Hey knuckleheads, how about simple parity with the old version. FFS. 

At this rate we might have a decent functioning app by Christmas

You are an optimist obvs 🤣

Add the S2 to S1 downgrade feature back!

Sadly, it’s not going to happen.  Why do you think they kept the S2 designation even though this is a “complete rewrite” of the app?  Because, they KNEW it was trash, and they knew it would cause horrific negative feedback/reviews on all of the apps store ratings if it had been introduced as S3… that would crash the ratings to 1 star, thus impacting the potential for new buyers.  It takes a long time for the Apple App store, Amazon, and others for enough negative reviews to ding the overall rating and Sonos’ cynical and arrogant management team knows this! 

Plus P.Spence’s ego is still smarting from the last debacle when he had to actually apologize and reintroduce S1.  NOPE, not going to happen again especially when he promised the investors that his shinny new Bluetooth headphones would staunch the red ink from lagging revenue. 

The leaders of this company are lame period!

Available now

Coming soon

How can we actually expect an app that functions the way it should, when the timelines do not seem to matter? Is anyone at SONOS is listening? Everything I’ve heard back from SONOS, including the reply from the CEO’s office, is just lip service with no answers.  

Coming soon

Mid-June has passed us by… the latest update (June-24th) 80.03.04 (Android), 80.03.07 (iOS) did not mention these in the release notes,

In 17th June’s update:

• Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders on Android.

Can we please have an update on the Coming soon updates given we were supposed to have access to our local libraries again from mid June and its now the 26th June.

Can we please have an update on the Coming soon updates given we were supposed to have access to our local libraries again from mid June and its now the 26th June.

You can use the desktop app to set up your local music library today. Here’s their list updated June 24.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates