The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1596 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m using the default Comcast DNS Servers but I have lost my Internet connection several times this past year.

Hi @John Guarr, fellow Xfinity user here. Independent of Sonos, give Cloudflare DNS a try. I think you’ll find it faster and more reliable than Comcast’s DNS. Cloudflare’s IPv4 servers:

• Primary = 1.1.1.1
  • Secondary = 1.0.0.1

I’ve done some experiments with the new app and can confirm that local library music is dodgy without an internet connection. Hardly surprising as it’s kinda dodgy with an Internet connection ...

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m using the default Comcast DNS Servers but I have lost my Internet connection several times this past year.

Hi @John Guarr, fellow Xfinity user here. Independent of Sonos, give Cloudflare DNS a try. I think you’ll find it faster and more reliable than Comcast’s DNS. Cloudflare’s IPv4 servers:

• Primary = 1.1.1.1
  • Secondary = 1.0.0.1

I’ve done some experiments with the new app and can confirm that local library music is dodgy without an internet connection. Hardly surprising as it’s kinda dodgy with an Internet connection ...

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @John Guarr, fellow Xfinity user here. Independent of Sonos, give Cloudflare DNS a try. I think you’ll find it faster and more reliable than Comcast’s DNS. Cloudflare’s IPv4 servers:

• Primary = 1.1.1.1
  • Secondary = 1.0.0.1

I am familiar with those DNS Servers. I think I’ve used them in the past. Maybe I’ll give them a try again. Thank you for the info. 

Two requests for queues, and one should be incredibly simple. 

First, when you open the queue, show the currently playing song towards the top of the queue. Right now it just opens to the first song at the top and it is impossible to find where you are if you have a queue with 1000 songs. 
Second, allow the saving of the queue to a Sonos playlist. That was great functionality in the previous app. Now if you add songs to the queue, you have no way of saving those changes. 

First, when you open the queue, show the currently playing song towards the top of the queue. Right now it just opens to the first song at the top and it is impossible to find where you are if you have a queue with 1000 songs. 
Second, allow the saving of the queue to a Sonos playlist. That was great functionality in the previous app. Now if you add songs to the queue, you have no way of saving those changes. 

I agree +1 from me too.👍

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well for a change something positive, I’ve noticed a marked improvement in performance of the App following the most recent release. It now shows what is queue’d for each sonos a lot more quickly. The local music library (SMB 2) reliably shows up within seconds of opening the App.

Of course there are still plenty of issues and missing features compared to the old App which we need to be returned; but for me at least there is a positive improvement.

Well for a change something positive, I’ve noticed a marked improvement in performance of the App following the most recent release. It now shows what is queue’d for each sonos a lot more quickly. The local music library (SMB 2) reliably shows up within seconds of opening the App.

Of course there are still plenty of issues and missing features compared to the old App which we need to be returned; but for me at least there is a positive improvement.

Dave 500 - Are you using a Synology NAS for your local library? If so did you have to set the min to SMB2 as well as maximum? 
Thanks PJJ

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dave 500 - Are you using a Synology NAS for your local library? If so did you have to set the min to SMB2 as well as maximum? 
Thanks PJJ

Hi,

My NAS is a regular install of Ubuntu. Ubuntu has stopped support for SMB1, so it defaults to SMB2 as a minimum. Samba is a bit tricky and some version do need the setting you suggest - i.e. Min + Max to SMB2. New versions of Samba (in my limited experience) seem to behave as expected - i.e. Max doesn’t need to be specified and the version of Samba is auto-negotiated

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I agree +1 from me too.👍

Yes, I agree also. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I agree +1 from me too.👍

Yes, I agree also. 

I just updated my IOS app to 80.04.04 dated June 27, and no charge to the first request. Still goes to the top of queue. 

I just updated my IOS app to 80.04.04 dated June 27, and no charge to the first request. Still goes to the top of queue. 

The page here mentions the library search was put back and delayed to address some feedback from beta testing - so it’s a case of us waiting a little longer, but it’s still due this month (all being well, I guess).

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

When will someone at Sonos just acknowledge that the latest app update is complete garbage? It's a wireless speaker system that cannot be controlled remotely because someone absolutely butchered the latest version of the app. I'm so tired of reading the customers who all have the same complaints and nothing gets done.  If it weren't already several thousands of dollars invested in the products I'd look for an alternative.  Do better!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

What about the issue where speakers are muting themselves???

Any update on this one as it's REALLY annoying!! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

What about the issue where speakers are muting themselves???

Any update on this one as it's REALLY annoying!! 

Just a thought - are they losing the stream/internet conenction, or literally muting?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Muting. The light becomes green randomly. Sometimes when playing music, watching TV or even overnight.... 

Lots of customers are complaining. There is a dedicated thread on this issue. 

Sonos acknowledged the issue. 

Userlevel 1

Please put the S2 to S1 downgrade back in the apps

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Please put the S2 to S1 downgrade back in the apps

Just so you don’t waste your time, every plea for this has fallen on deaf ears. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah, so the update today (01/07/24) did nothing to improve the issues I have… I still get the greyed out icons, a slow and unresponsive app which still has a far too small volume rocker, which also lags. 

It is like a carmaker arrived at your home, removed two wheels,  smashed the windscreen and put superglue in the locks, leaving behind note with corporate BS saying they wanted a “…personalized and effortless driving experience…” citing “innovation” as the reason.

Thanks PJJ

Hi,

My NAS is a regular install of Ubuntu. Ubuntu has stopped support for SMB1, so it defaults to SMB2 as a minimum. Samba is a bit tricky and some version do need the setting you suggest - i.e. Min + Max to SMB2. New versions of Samba (in my limited experience) seem to behave as expected - i.e. Max doesn’t need to be specified and the version of Samba is auto-negotiated

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everybody know out there who is having problems maintaining access to their music libraries on their Synology NAS that  they  need to set their SMB minimum  value on the NAS to SMB2 rather than the default SMB1 and that seems to cure the daily vanishing of the library. 
Regards PJJ

Userlevel 3
Badge

Upgrade hasn't added any functionality and the volume sliders still behave erratically. My kitchen speaker is playing but the sliders thinks the volume is off. If I turn volume up it snaps back to zero but the speaker is actually playing. Very poor.