The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1522 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I understand saved playlists are gone. But is it also impossible to remove a track once it’s added to a queue?

Yes the queue can only be added to. You can't reorder it or remove a track or save as a new playlist. My existing playlists are still there although any tracks referenced to my network storage won't play.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I understand saved playlists are gone. But is it also impossible to remove a track once it’s added to a queue?

Yes the queue can only be added to. You can't reorder it or remove a track or save as a new playlist. My existing playlists are still there although any tracks referenced to my network storage won't play.

All temporarily of course as playlist editing etc will all be added in due course. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

All temporarily of course as playlist editing etc will all be added in due course. 

Such a treat to get back what we once had! Let's hope this isn't a dress rehearsal for a subscription based Sonos system! 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Such a treat to get back what we once had! Let's hope this isn't a dress rehearsal for a subscription based Sonos system! 🤞

It won’t be. At this moment in particular, they wouldn’t dare. I would imagine the combination of profit margin on their speakers, new product development for new audiences (such as their portable speaker range and headphones), plus longer-term planned obsolescence, will be enough to keep the business afloat. With streaming services already pushing people to the limits, Sonos won’t make anyone subscribe to anything.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It won’t be. At this moment in particular, they wouldn’t dare. I would imagine the combination of profit margin on their speakers, new product development for new audiences (such as their portable speaker range and headphones), plus longer-term planned obsolescence, will be enough to keep the business afloat. With streaming services already pushing people to the limits, Sonos won’t make anyone subscribe to anything.

That’s quite a bold statement to make about the venal and incompetent senior management at Sonos.

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 4, 2024. See release notes.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button
  • Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds
  • Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired 
  • Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

The app is still fundamentally broken. Constant 'your system was not found errors', volume sliders don't work in the app, music search errors etc etc etc. I don't understand how this app update ever made it into production.

I have been a loyal Sonos customer for home audio, but this is making me reconsider. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I'm sure you are right. I'm looking forward to getting the previous functionality back soon. I actually think the new app layout is OK but it has been badly rushed out for hard to understand reasons. Come on Sonos get cracking and sort the app out ASAP please 🙏 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m confused, Steve1958 mentions something optimistic about ‘getting back what we used to have’. Was there a Father’s Day update that I’m not aware of?  I still can’t edit my music queues. And I doubt they would ever add a subscription feature to their system or they will certainly lose a lot more users than I think they have already just lost. 

In short, the new app sucks!

I'm not talking about the design, layout or anything like that, I'm talking about the features. Things simply worked before, now they don't!

Constantly loses connection. Every time I open the app it tells me that I have no system and then updates after several seconds and shows me the components (where were they before?).

I can't find basic functionality, like editing Tidal playlists.

Every now and then components get lost...

Sometimes Amazon music works on Move but not Tidal, while on Sonos One it does.

I have no words, is it possible to get the old App back?

I received an email to buy new headphones Ace... I won't buy anything anymore if you don't solve these problems!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

THE NEW APP UPDATE HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!

No firmware update.

Numerical values for volume and group volume sliders

Volume icon to reflect volume level

Support for SonosNet channel selection

Added stereo/mono configuration for Amp/Port output.

I can’t imagine many will be that delighted, taking the update at face value...

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

THE NEW APP UPDATE HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!

No firmware update.

Numerical values for volume and group volume sliders

Volume icon to reflect volume level

Support for SonosNet channel selection

Added stereo/mono configuration for Amp/Port output.

I can’t imagine many will be that delighted, taking the update at face value...

I know I was one of the ‘lucky’ ones as I didn’t have any major issues from day one (I received all the usual ‘fanboi’ abuse to show for it).   So for me each update is an improvement.  My ‘local library’ does not fade in and out as before, and I’m getting fewer ‘something went wrong’ errors, too.  
As @Rhonny hinted, I’m sure this isn’t the panacea for everyone.  

Thanks for the heads up Ronny. Full release notes here for anyone interested. Updated and so far so good, hope everyone sees some stability improvements besides the return of missing features. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Edit Ronny made a thread for this release, much better for place to discuss this IMO 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m confused, Steve1958 mentions something optimistic about ‘getting back what we used to have’. Was there a Father’s Day update that I’m not aware of?  I still can’t edit my music queues. And I doubt they would ever add a subscription feature to their system or they will certainly lose a lot more users than I think they have already just lost. 

I was referring to someone's assertion that the present issues are all temporary, I was being a tad sarcastic regarding getting back what we already had... I'm still waiting for the fixes like everyone else. 🙄

Supposedly - nothing supposedly about it !!… SONOS is late to the party in stopping support for SMB1. Even so they have handled this appalingly

Show me a single Sonos system and/or local music library which was affected in any way by the use of SMB v1 and I’ll stop using the “supposedly” descriptor.  

The sonos speakers being impacted is not the point - the point is that if you have a NAS/Server/PC etc running SMB1 then it is open to being hacked and everything that can follow on from that.

Why do you think manufacturers, e.g Microsoft, Linux operating systems etc having deprecated SMB1 .. it’s not been done for no reason …..

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=smbv1 is the industry standard security vulnerability database ...

I don’t really know what smb is but it was the 3 Sonos tech support people who told me me that the only way k could get my music libraries back available to Sonos was to update/upgrade my PCs and Mac to v2 or 3. Then they spent over an hour trying to do.  So I was told to wait until they came up with a fix - still waiting

Userlevel 1

So I bought my first ever Sonos speaker (the IKEA bookshelf one) right as this debacle began. I’ve not been able to fully set things up. I have the speaker connected via Ethernet and it is seen by my network and a home automation system I have sees it and I can send voice messages to it for the speaker to speak but the app still gives me “No Products Found” yet it sees the Sonos system on my WiFi. How can it see that but then subsequently NOT see the speaker?  Will I ever get full functionality? If I wasn’t so far from an IKEA I would have returned it already. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Updated the app, opened it for the first time and it takes about 2 minutes for the home screen to fully load. Anyone have a similar experience?

I'm on Android 14.

So I bought my first ever Sonos speaker (the IKEA bookshelf one) right as this debacle began. I’ve not been able to fully set things up. I have the speaker connected via Ethernet and it is seen by my network and a home automation system I have sees it and I can send voice messages to it for the speaker to speak but the app still gives me “No Products Found” yet it sees the Sonos system on my WiFi. How can it see that but then subsequently NOT see the speaker?  Will I ever get full functionality? If I wasn’t so far from an IKEA I would have returned it already. 

You got one year to return it to IKEA… And as a fellow Symfonisk owner, I can only advise you to do so. It was better in 2020…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

When one of my Symfonisk lamps refused to appear, I turned off the lamp at the plug for 30 secs. Then turned it on again and waited for the light flashing to stop. Eventually - and it took a few mins of just leaving it (it might have actually even taken a couple of off-and-ons) - it appeared in the app as connected. I’ve no idea why it needed all of that…

Failing that, also try turning off the router at the plug, then the speaker off, then turn the router back on and let it get fully online, then turn the speaker back on. See if that helps…

ALSO make sure you update the app to today’s version.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I was referring to someone's assertion that the present issues are all temporary, I was being a tad sarcastic regarding getting back what we already had... I'm still waiting for the fixes like everyone else. 🙄

Okay Steve1958; that’s funny. But I just came in from cutting the grass and there was recently a new IOS update about adding values to the volume sliders. So I might give that a try after I hear everyone’s feelings on the update. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

A largely underwhelming update to the app today. I see the local music library search is still absent. Sigh….

Userlevel 2
Badge

The update today (June 17) brings us what? Nothing interesting… The app is still slow, laggy and unresponsive and still shows the “Something went wrong. Try again.”-message when trying to access Recently played. 

@Sonos programmers  Keep trying! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

How on Earth did the powers that be at Sonos ever decide to release this app, which any fool can see is completely FUBAR; and then go one step further and make it all but impossible to revert to the Ol’ Reliable prior version?

Meanwhile, day after day I receive email advertising from Sonos urging me to buy more stuff. When pigs fly!

Userlevel 1

From what I understand today’s update offers nothing more than lip service to a Mid-June deadline. Baby steps that offer little functionality and even less confidence. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Heads up the TruePlay still has a bug where after you set it it doesn’t adjust the surround speaker distances—they’re still user customizable. In the old app these would be greyed out after TruePlay. Not only that but the distances it sets are wildly incorrect—after tuning it showed that both my surrounds were >10 ft away from my listening space, when in fact one is about 3 ft away and the other is >10. 

At this point Id just be happy to be able to use the equipment with the new “improved” app. Not sure what happened to this company but they're no different than any of the many others now, only difference being ridiculous cost. Look out for Sonos products at your local goodwill soon