The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1553 replies

Badge

OK, that isn’t what I call Trueplay to be honest.  Trueplay uses the device’s microphones and only Apple is supported.  This is ‘Advanced tuning’

However, Era can use a type of Quick Tuning as this uses the microphones of the speaker, not the device.

Please install on Android the version of Sonos app preceding the infamous update, and look for Trueplay. It is there, called ‘Trueplay’, not ‘Advanced tuning’. This is how Sonos calls it in their own app. Whatever _you_ call it is immaterial.

Badge

OK, that isn’t what I call Trueplay to be honest.  Trueplay uses the device’s microphones and only Apple is supported.  This is ‘Advanced tuning’

However, Era can use a type of Quick Tuning as this uses the microphones of the speaker, not the device.

Okay, can you please provide reference for your claims?
Trueplay is what you say, and automated tuning using the devices speakers and microphones to probe the environment. This is what I had been doing multiple times with Era300s using an Android phone.

It’s great to have opinions, but I am very clear you’re wrong here.

Will this do?

Yes. Thanks.

It tells exactly that Android users can use Trueplay. Only the quick tuning version of it, but it’s still Trueplay. And it is now missing, which is what all the fuss is about.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hey, I was just trying to help and hadn’t appreciated you were talking about a specific speaker.  There are hundreds, if not thousands of requests over the years asking for Trueplay on Android and the answer is always it doesn’t exist. You mentioned probing the environment using the speakers and microphones of the device multiple times and I still don’t understand how as they’re not used on Android.

Regarding ‘Whatever _you_ call it is immaterial’, it’s not what I call it, I was using Sonos’ own terminology from their support pages.  Roam and Move also have an ‘auto Trueplay’ that again is all based on the hardware of the speakers

Hopefully it comes back for you soon.

I’ve bee n a Sonos customer for years.

love the equipment but the new app is terrible 

can’t adjust the balance on my Sonos amp 👎

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

No access to local files? Great job SONOS, this was the ONLY thing I used you for, how HORRIBLE. In the history of software roll-outs this is one of the worst experiences I’ve ever seen.

No access to local files? Great job SONOS, this was the ONLY thing I used you for, how HORRIBLE. In the history of software roll-outs this is one of the worst experiences I’ve ever seen.

Yeah, except they didn’t stop access to local files at all.  They stopped supporting the (supposedly) insecure SMB v1 protocol.  Get whatever share you are using on SMB v1/v2 and your files are back.  Nothing to see here . . .

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks! HOW do I do this? I am on a MAC Sonoma 14.5

They want you to figure it out yourself or contact Apple who can’t help. they think we all have an NAS which can be updated. They obviously don’t user test before they release a new version. 

They promise to have this fixed by mid June. Anybody have confidence in that?

Thanks! HOW do I do this? I am on a MAC Sonoma 14.5

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yup. I followed this step-by-step and no luck

They want you to figure it out yourself or contact Apple who can’t help. they think we all have an NAS which can be updated. They obviously don’t user test before they release a new version. 

They promise to have this fixed by mid June. Anybody have confidence in that?

Thanks, that is very helpful! 🙄

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What’s even weirder is that I can play local music that was last added to particular zones and was stored in the memory. I cant search for / add or change anything else.

What’s even weirder is that I can play local music that was last added to particular zones and was stored in the memory. I cant search for / add or change anything else.

So that means Sonos can read from your share, but you’ve lost the index on the Sonos devices.  If you have Mac or PC, download the Mac/PC controller here:  https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

The Mac/PC software still has library management functions.  Use those to delete the old share (if it exists) and add a new share and index.  After that close out the mobile app completely and restart.  If that doesn’t work, you may need to reset the app and connect to an existing system. 

If you do not have a Mac/PC, then you may have to wait until Sonos fixes the library management on the mobile app.  It is scheduled for July: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I blew away the app and reinstalled and followed step by step instructions. No luck.

Badge

Hey, I was just trying to help and hadn’t appreciated you were talking about a specific speaker.  There are hundreds, if not thousands of requests over the years asking for Trueplay on Android and the answer is always it doesn’t exist. You mentioned probing the environment using the speakers and microphones of the device multiple times and I still don’t understand how as they’re not used on Android.

Regarding ‘Whatever _you_ call it is immaterial’, it’s not what I call it, I was using Sonos’ own terminology from their support pages.  Roam and Move also have an ‘auto Trueplay’ that again is all based on the hardware of the speakers

Hopefully it comes back for you soon.

I think we meant differrent things by ‘device’.

I meant the speakers; they have microphones, and they use them to tune to the environment.
I think you meant the phone’s microphone, and that may not be working with Android phones.

Good enough; but in any case, whatever the kind of Trueplay it is, there was an option for using it on Android and now it is gone, with no update whatsoever from Sonos as to whether and when it would be coming back. On a chat, their representative was clueless.

Badge

I blew away the app and reinstalled and followed step by step instructions. No luck.

Same here.

Completely avoidable fiasco.

Short-sightedness and/or incompetence and a complete lack of remorse for breaking your own products. You SHOULD be falling on your sword to get people’s existing products working at LEAST as well as they were before. The fact that this has to be explained to you tells me everything.

I am done with this company and will be sure everyone I know avoids it in the future.

Way to go.

Gotta love those hit-and-run posters.  Very first post, and they are already in full vitriol mode. No questions, no asking for help, no background info, just full knowledge of what’s going on and a scathing rant right out of the gate. 

Hmmmm, kind of makes you think you’ve seen their kind before. 

Userlevel 1

Please put the S2 to S1 downgrade ability back into the apps. 👍🏻

Badge +2

increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Failed, failed and failed.

Here’s my feedback to your senior team: I’ve been a UK customer since ~2008 but this is the sour cherry on an increasingly stale cake. I’m done.

I’ve been a US customer since 2005, buying more than 20 Sonos products for myself and as gifts, and was an evangelist for Sonos for nearly 10 years. After the S1/S2 issue and other poorly tested apps, I was more circumspect. Now I am actively searching for my next brand, because I, too, am done. 

Badge +2

So that means Sonos can read from your share, but you’ve lost the index on the Sonos devices.  If you have Mac or PC, download the Mac/PC controller here:  https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

The Mac/PC software still has library management functions.  Use those to delete the old share (if it exists) and add a new share and index.  After that close out the mobile app completely and restart.  If that doesn’t work, you may need to reset the app and connect to an existing system. 

If you do not have a Mac/PC, then you may have to wait until Sonos fixes the library management on the mobile app.  It is scheduled for July: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I can’t play anything in my library. I spent over an hour on the phone with Support (after a 70 minute wait) and we finally got my NAS shares to be recognized by Mac app, but after indexing no music is seen in the app. So the thing I use for most of my listening is currently unsupported. 

Badge +2

Gotta love those hit-and-run posters.  Very first post, and they are already in full vitriol mode. No questions, no asking for help, no background info, just full knowledge of what’s going on and a scathing rant right out of the gate. 

Hmmmm, kind of makes you think you’ve seen their kind before. 

While there is clearly some hyperbole here, the other interpretation of such a lot of unhappiness, manifest by 52 pages of nearly unanimous discontent by previously silent and presumably satisfied customers, is that the rollout really is bad, has negatively effected customer experience, and has hurt the reputation of the brand. 

And, btw, thanks for all the help you have given here over the years.

While there is clearly some hyperbole here, the other interpretation of such a lot of unhappiness, manifest by 52 pages of nearly unanimous discontent by previously silent and presumably satisfied customers, is that the rollout really is terrible, has negatively effected customer experience, and has hurt the reputation of the brand. 

And, btw, thanks for all the help you have given here over the years.

It’s both.  There’s definitely a large contingent of unhappy people, with good reason.  The app is terrible and unfinished.  But there’s also a lot of sock puppets feeding the flames with hit-and-run posts, out of some twisted thought that the more “people” who post, the more they are helping the “cause”.  There’s also others who are just here to watch things burn.  

Badge +2

It’s both.  There’s definitely a large contingent of unhappy people, with good reason.  The app is terrible and unfinished.  But there’s also a lot of sock puppets feeding the flames with hit-and-run posts, out of some twisted thought that the more “people” who post, the more they are helping the “cause”.  There’s also others who are just here to watch things burn.  

Nothing is ever black and white. Can’t believe you saw that Iggy show. Jealous. 

Any ideas why I might not be able to have the Mac app not see any of the music after indexing? On another 60 minute wait with support.  It’s a huge library so since it seemed to be indexing properly yesterday we ended the call before it finished.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Nothing is ever black and white. Can’t believe you saw that Iggy show. Jealous. 

Any ideas why I might not be able to have the Mac app not see any of the music after indexing? On another 60 minute wait with support.  It’s a huge library so since it seemed to be indexing properly yesterday we ended the call before it finished.

I did see some other posts regarding a long-standing bug (not sure if it’s one confirmed by Sonos) when using SMB2 and indexing very large libraries. FWIW, my library is connected via SMB3 to a NAS, contains ~14000 songs and indexes without any issues. May be worth trying to split the library down, just as a test, to see if indexing completes on the smaller number of songs. That may also help Sonos diagnose the issue if you need to call them again.