Skip to main content

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Sept 24, 2024. See release notes.

Last week we released a new version of the Sonos app for iOS.

As announced, today we are releasing a new version for Android as well.

iOS - (Released on September 19)
Version 80.09.05

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Improved performance when browsing content in Home and in Browse
  • Improved queue management including ability to delete, reorder and scroll
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Continued improvements to the user interface
  • Added Trueplay support for iOS 18

iOS Service Pack - (Available starting today)
Version 80.09.07

• Resolved a bug affecting users with multiple language keyboards configured
  • Resolved a bug preventing users with VoiceOver enabled from accepting the terms and conditions during setup

Android - (Available starting today

Version 80.09.04

• Improvements to setup flow
  • Added ability to set appearance between light mode/dark mode/system default
  • Added setting to change the Alexa wake word language

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

The new app is impossible to manage.  What did you do?  Can I delete the new app and go back to the old app???

No access to local files? Great job SONOS, this was the ONLY thing I used you for, how HORRIBLE. In the history of software roll-outs this is one of the worst experiences I’ve ever seen.

Yeah, except they didn’t stop access to local files at all.  They stopped supporting the (supposedly) insecure SMB v1 protocol.  Get whatever share you are using on SMB v1/v2 and your files are back.  Nothing to see here . . .

Supposedly - nothing supposedly about it !!… SONOS is late to the party in stopping support for SMB1. Even so they have handled this appalingly

Supposedly - nothing supposedly about it !!… SONOS is late to the party in stopping support for SMB1. Even so they have handled this appalingly

Show me a single Sonos system and/or local music library which was affected in any way by the use of SMB v1 and I’ll stop using the “supposedly” descriptor.  

Basic playing functionality is broken in this new app. It often shows “queue empty” when music is playing and takes forever to group or unground speakers. Basically you’ve completely broken the Sonos system without a functioning controller app.

I see similar reports of these problems all over this community and no response from Sonos. It takes hours to reach someone at support. 

Are you aware of these basic issues and when do you plan to fix them? 

Show me a single Sonos system and/or local music library which was affected in any way by the use of SMB v1 and I’ll stop using the “supposedly” descriptor.  

I’m surprised it took you so long for a comeback. I know you always have something to add. In all fairness, you’re not wrong most of the time, but your claims are hard to substantiate . My guess, you’re either a politician or you work part-time for Sonos.

Charlesjolley asks:

Basic playing functionality is broken in this new app. It often shows “queue empty” when music is playing and takes forever to group or unground speakers. Basically you’ve completely broken the Sonos system without a functioning controller app.

I see similar reports of these problems all over this community and no response from Sonos. It takes hours to reach someone at support. 
Are you aware of these basic issues and when do you plan to fix them? 

I’ve reported these problems (and the complete loss of all of my Sonos playlists) to Sonos support, both in this forum and via online chat with Sonos staff. The responses have been of two varieties: (1) ‘Please be patient, we’re working on it’; and (2) ‘You have a defective ethernet cable’ and other seemingly ludicrous explanations.

The simple fact is my system — three stereo pairs, one a pair of 100s, another a pair of 1s, another a pair of Fives with a SUB — worked pretty much flawlessly for years, right up to the moment the S2 app ‘upgrade’ came along. Now my entire system is badly broken. Some functions are simply gone; others work intermittently and erratically.

And weeks later, Sonos steadfastly refuses to take ownership of the problem it created. Instead, I’m carpet-bombed with in-app advertising for Sonos products, including those silly headphones.

Stop complaining. SONOS will not do anything. There won't be rollback. Thousands of people bought the headphones because they got excellent reviews. Nearly no review mentions the problem with the app. Old customers already paid for their hardware, they are no longer important. Soon there will be a new release explaining you to buy the newest speakers, otherwise no connectivity with the new app.

And of course you will have to pay a subscription fee to use all features of the new app

Audiophone may well be providing an accurate forecast of things to come. In which case many of us are unlikely to continue buying into the Sonos program. When Sonos first introduced its hardware and controller years ago, there were not many alternatives that offered similar ease of use and audio quality.

That’s no longer true. I’ll bear with Sonos awhile… but if this mess isn’t resolved in the near future, I’ll consider a few grand spent on a more functional, flexible system to be money well spent. 

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 4, 2024. See release notes.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button
  • Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds
  • Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired 
  • Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

And when will Sonos Radio reauthorization loop be addressed?

Main music service no longer works. 5 speakers are now relegated to being airplay speakers. Super disappointed with the new app after being a fan since the very beginning of sonos.

I’m surprised it took you so long for a comeback. I know you always have something to add. In all fairness, you’re not wrong most of the time, but your claims are hard to substantiate . My guess, you’re either a politician or you work part-time for Sonos.

Hard to substantiate?   I would think it easy to prove me wrong.  Find one Sonos system affected by SMB v1 sharing.  There aren't any.  A couple websites tried to get clicks claiming a hack was due to SMB v1, but it wasn't.  It was due to people configuring Sonos on the wrong side of their router firewall or opening up port 1400.

And I'm neither of those things.

Quite simply - Your * idiots if you think the app was good enough for release.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Hard to substantiate?   I would think it easy to prove me wrong.  Find one Sonos system affected by SMB v1 sharing.  There aren't any.  A couple websites tried to get clicks claiming a hack was due to SMB v1, but it wasn't.  It was due to people configuring Sonos on the wrong side of their router firewall or opening up port 1400.

I agree with the smbv1 opinion.

Add to your list glitches to using and actually seeing the products on the LAN. 

• Devices appear and disappear. Cut in and out. 
  • This new app is a mess and impossible to navigate. The volume number is missing now - why? 
  • Clarity on how to change source with each group of speakers. I can’t tell if it’s just a massive lag or how to change between Apple to SoundCloud to other sources.

Seems like much of this should have been caught with user testing before full production release. I have 16 Sonos devices on my LAN and it’s nearly unusable. 

@pixels703

To reiterate this app release is not a fail of user testing. It was a deliberate decision of the senior management to release the (unfinished) app as the new app was required for the new headphones.

@pixels703

To reiterate this app release is not a fail of user testing. It was a deliberate decision of the senior management to release the (unfinished) app as the new app was required for the new headphones.

I don’t know for sure what the future is for Sonos after reading all these comments and opinions. But last week I mentioned to the guy across the street about what I was going through when I had lost my library (but now have it back). I bumped into him again yesterday, I had mentioned that things were working again so he said that he wants to come over and check out my system since he just retired and wants to start investing in a wireless system like Sonos. I don’t know what to tell him right now, and I don’t want to lead him in the wrong direction. 

I agree with the smbv1 opinion.

Before this past month, smb1 protocol was not in a lot of user’s vocabulary. But now it’s getting a lot of attention. I compare it to the Microsoft Windows NetBios Layer 2 protocol. It works, but it’s very inefficient and very “chattery”. In other words, if you took a sniffer or other network analyzer and monitored LAN activity with all devices not communicating or sending anything, you would see a lot of traffic. I experienced this years ago when installing Novell networks, which at the time I was certified in. So that’s the comparison I always make between the two. 

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 4, 2024. See release notes.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button
  • Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds
  • Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired 
  • Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

I'm really missing the ability to add a playing song to an existing playlist or to save a queue as a playlist and reorder upcoming tunes in the queue. Such a shame to be without a core function which has worked well for many years. Crack on Sonos and please fix these functions.

Forcing me to update the app?

All of a sudden I lost my S1 speakers, are not be found by the system.

Also one of my S2 Five went missing.

Tried to add it back, can not be done, my app is to old Sonos days.

WTF?!

I refuse to update to latest version, after reading here it seems to be a good idea, until now then.

If I unplug a Sonos device for a day or so, does that  mean I have to add it back again?, Sonos system looses track of the speaker?

I will never by another Sonos device, nor will I upgrade even with 30 %.

Until now I still use the 16.1 app which works fine.

just wanted to add an old further unused  symfonisk speaker to my system.

The app won´t let me: I HAVE TO UPDATE MY APP !!

SERIOUS ??!! 

I see what´s coming next: the system will become unusable until I update the app to the new version, where it BECOMES UNUSABLE AGAIN.

I’d like to reiterate that this app is a terrible experience for myself and my family.

• It is not intuitive 
  • It is not reliable
  • It is very much the opposite of effortless or whatever you were attempting to accomplish

I also don’t know what you were trying to accomplish on the technology-side of things, but this is HUGE failure as it’s currently deployed. You’ve effectively created separation between myself and my music:

• Literally by releasing an unfinished app that refuses to connect 3 out of 4 times upon startup
  • Emotionally by creating an extremely negative experience in the UI itself between errors and UI design that makes ZERO sense.

Please tone down the ego and “can do no wrong” attitude and allow users to reconnect to their music using an old version of the iOS app, at the very least until you fix your garbage servers. 

The sonos speakers being impacted is not the point - the point is that if you have a NAS/Server/PC etc running SMB1 then it is open to being hacked and everything that can follow on from that.

Why do you think manufacturers, e.g Microsoft, Linux operating systems etc having deprecated SMB1 .. it’s not been done for no reason …..

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=smbv1 is the industry standard security vulnerability database ...

I added a couple of tracks to an extended queue. Having listened to them, I would like to remove them. I’ve cruised around in the ‘updated’ app and unless I’m mistaken, there’s no way to do that, short of dumping the entire queue; and there’s no way to save the queue before dumping it either.

Surely I’m missing something? Did the Sonos brain trust really eliminate a function as basic as that when they ‘improved’ the Sonos controller? I can’t help but think I’m missing something here.

I added a couple of tracks to an extended queue. Having listened to them, I would like to remove them. I’ve cruised around in the ‘updated’ app and unless I’m mistaken, there’s no way to do that, short of dumping the entire queue; and there’s no way to save the queue before dumping it either.

Surely I’m missing something? Did the Sonos brain trust really eliminate a function as basic as that when they ‘improved’ the Sonos controller? I can’t help but think I’m missing something here.

You can no longer create or edit and save playlists. A really crappy failure which Sonos needs to address pronto.

I understand saved playlists are gone. But is it also impossible to remove a track once it’s added to a queue?