The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1583 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

THE SOLUTION:

Disable 5ghz in your router settings. This resolves all app reliability, speed and connection issues.

Overkill

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

THE SOLUTION:

Disable 5ghz in your router settings. This resolves all app reliability, speed and connection issues.

Is this true? All issues go away if you just disable 5ghz in the router? That seems weird, but doable. Has Sonos posted any information saying that this is the fix to all issues? Sounds like if would be a good idea to make people aware of this. If it’s truly the only issue.

Work in software so have some sympathy but this release is ridiculous. How the **** could you release it without “Create and edit local music library: July” to name just one. Is someone actually wanting to destroy the company!

Not your biggest customer but will have to think really hard before buying any more speakers. Lots trust!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

THE SOLUTION:

Is this true? All issues go away if you just disable 5ghz in the router? That seems weird, but doable. Has Sonos posted any information saying that this is the fix to all issues? Sounds like if would be a good idea to make people aware of this. If it’s truly the only issue.

Disabling 5ghz wifi is all great until your other devices that rely on 5ghz stop working… This is no solution. Nor should it be. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Stock is starting to register customer unhappiness…

The large spike up in Feb ‘24 was due to exceeding YE 23 EPS estimates.  Imagine what will happen to the stock if they miss EPS and/or Revenue guidance for Q2 ‘24? That would be late July or August.

It’s starting to get ugly, thanks god I only own speakers….

Stock is starting to register customer unhappiness…

The large spike up in Feb ‘24 was due to exceeding YE 23 EPS estimates.  Imagine what will happen to the stock if they miss EPS and/or Revenue guidance for Q2 ‘24? That would be late July or August.

It’s starting to get ugly, thanks god I only own speakers….

Thank you for showing a wider view than just the last 5 days, which most people like to post as definitive sign of doom and gloom.  However, the graph shows that’s down 7% from the first of the year, with a spike in the middle due to exceeding expecations.  A look at 1Y shows that it’s down 3% from this time last year.  It’s not good news, but I wouldn’t say it’s really gotten ugly just yet.  The stock has spent a lot of time lower than 15 in it’s past.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@amblue02

It really depends how you cut it and whether you are subjective or objective. That chart is really not representative. 

Below is the chart for the last five years. The highs of Covid, when everyone was indoors, buying audio equipment and streaming subscriptions, could never be sustained. The world came out of Covid mid/late 2022, and Sonos’ share position has not moved a great deal since then, other than the usual ebbs and flows. 

The last month’s ‘decline’ is barely perceptible

If you want to compare like-for-like, the same period (early May to mid June) in 2021 saw a share drop of US$2.25; same period in 2022 saw a drop of US$0.74; in 2023, it was a drop of US$5.40!. So a drop of just US$0.96 since the launch of the new app is absolutely nothing, and could easily be put down to market conditions rather than customer disgruntlement. Don’t forget, the financial press has not reported on this - investors are too long-in-the-tooth to be swayed by an angry post on a Sonos forum, or a YouTube video by Peter Pee.  

It looks exciting to micro-analyse the last month, but step back and look at it from a distance and Sonos is not in trouble. All the ire and frustration vented on the forum is with merit, but time is a great healer and when the app works as it should, suddenly the Sonos share price will be of no interest to anyone on here…

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Sonos stock PPS may not yet reflect it, but this ‘new and improved Sonos controller’ fiasco has put a damper on demand for Sonos products and the company’s growth potential. Current owners of Sonos systems have lost confidence and will not be buying Sonos products from this point on. Potential new buyers will hear horror stories through the grapevine and look to alternatives… and there are many such alternatives now… rather than invest in a system that management has cavalierly tinkered with and rendered nearly useless for a significant portion of its current customer base.

I’ve already seen this up close. My spouse does design work for new and remodel residential construction. More than one client who wants multi-room sound as part of the project has flat rejected her suggestion to enter the Sonos universe; and she won’t be making that suggestion again now that we’ve had this experience in our own home. Au contraire, she will tell clients to steer clear. Don’t think she will be the Lone Ranger in that regard.

Sonos has demonstrated that it cares not one bit about its users. It’s not entirely clear what the business model is at this point. They’re flailing around experimenting with an app that all Sonos owners rely on to make their hardware function; and they seemingly don’t give a damn that they’ve disabled systems some current owners have spent thousands to purchase and wiped out music libraries that took Sonos users hundreds of hours to assemble. They either can’t restore that functionality, or arrogantly decline to do so because they’re ‘moving forward,’ whatever that means.

Now try to reach Sonos support. It’s not there. The chat option is currently ‘unavailable.’ And why spend hours waiting to make contact by phone… they can’t help you anyway. Look at the original post listing all the wonderful new features that will be added in coming months… you won’t see ‘Sonos playlists’ or music libraries on local storage devices. Gone today, not a Sonos priority, possibly never returning.

I for one will never buy another Sonos product. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me again? That’d be my own damn fault.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

THE SOLUTION:

It's definitely not true. My setup is on a 2.4 network and the speakers and the old app work fine, but the new app has a lot of reliability and connection issues.

It could fix SOME reliability issues, because some devices do switch between 2.4 and 5 GHz when there's a mesh. But I imagine that has more to do with your phone/tablet than with your speakers.

Anyone that claims this would fix "all" problems, really doesn't understand IT. In fact, it could introduce a lot of reliability issues depending on the devices nearby. 2.4 GHz signals are more likely to suffer from distortion by other electronic equipment.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@amblue02

It really depends how you cut it and whether you are subjective or objective. That chart is really not representative. 

Below is the chart for the last five years. The highs of Covid, when everyone was indoors, buying audio equipment and streaming subscriptions, could never be sustained. The world came out of Covid mid/late 2022, and Sonos’ share position has not moved a great deal since then, other than the usual ebbs and flows. 

The last month’s ‘decline’ is barely perceptible

If you want to compare like-for-like, the same period (early May to mid June) in 2021 saw a share drop of US$2.25; same period in 2022 saw a drop of US$0.74; in 2023, it was a drop of US$5.40!. So a drop of just US$0.96 since the launch of the new app is absolutely nothing, and could easily be put down to market conditions rather than customer disgruntlement. Don’t forget, the financial press has not reported on this - investors are too long-in-the-tooth to be swayed by an angry post on a Sonos forum, or a YouTube video by Peter Pee.  

It looks exciting to micro-analyse the last month, but step back and look at it from a distance and Sonos is not in trouble. All the ire and frustration vented on the forum is with merit, but time is a great healer and when the app works as it should, suddenly the Sonos share price will be of no interest to anyone on here…

Rhonny -

Of course for a long-term investor total return over the holding period is what matters. My point was Sonos had built momentum coming out of strong Q4 23, sustained the growth through Q1 24, but has started to lag and suffer due to the “awful” experience surrounding the most recent software upgrade. 

Your points are tailored towards a longer term view of Sonos, which I understand and to a degree agree with.  The embedded base of users have simply spent too much $ and get too much utility out of the product to walk away.  The speakers sound great, serve dual purpose in rooms with TV’s (soundbar / music source), and once these issues are fixed memories are short.

However, the stock is down closer to $2.50 pre-upgrade ($18 → $15.50), and by reading these forums and reviews of the Ace, it does seem like Senior management was pressing for the Ace to save Q2 24.  I don’t follow this stock, I am just a disappointed long term user of what is for the most part a fantastic music service.  I was happy to find my short term workaround with the Music Library issues on the Mac and do hope that a permanent fix is on the way.  My point is that the stock is down $2.50 / $18 = ~ -14%, which is not immaterial. 

Upsetting the core customers is not a path to success for most companies.  Speaking only for myself, I held off on purchasing the Ace when I learned that there would be no WiFi connectivity to my Sonos system.  Being able to listen to lossless music streamed to my headphones would have been worth it.  Buying a replacement to my perfectly functional Airpods Max doesn’t make sense for blue tooth connectivity alone.

Bottom line (IMHO) is the Ace release is half-baked (should’ve waited till they had WiFi connectivity for lossless music), the software update was half-baked, which I interpret as actions of a senior management hoping that excitement for the Ace will take them over the Q2 24 guidance.  I of course may be wrong, but these are my thoughts. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It will be interesting to see the transcript of the August earnings call when it’s available. The one from May was full of bullish comments about the new product launch which, of course, turned out to be headphones to absolutely nobody’s surprise. 
If overall sales end up tanking over this quarter, it’ll be interesting to see whether the questions posed to the Sonos exec team are reflective of the general disenchantment of the current customer base. 

This fix on the new app still doesn’t let me set up a sleep timer while listening to my music library. When is this going to get fixed? Why did you destroy this app and release it without testing it? And why can’t we use the old app, which worked great, until you get all the bugs out of this app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So you released a mandatory “new and Improved” update in May which disabled the ability to access and play music from my personal library located on a NAS. (something that functioned well for at least 12 years.) And now you're telling me that 2 months latter you will try to get around to reinstating the only Sonos function I care about - the only reason I invested all the hardware I purchased from Sonos? Who thought this was a good idea? Based on your botched software launch, I have no confidence that you will successfully restore this basic function and I have no confidence that you will meet your schedule.

local library playback has not been removed and was present from day 1 of the new apps release.  This has been mentioned just a few thousand times around here. 

It may not have been removed for most but for those stuck with smb v1 equipment it was removed and without warning or solution. And tech support, when available, was worthless.

Yes I felt the same way when I updated my IOS app and lost my music library. I took me some time and luckily I had an extra NAS that supported the smb v2 protocol, so I moved my music library over to a WD My Cloud, which I brought around 2015, and with the help of my Windows controller, I set the path to my new NAS and everything came back. I still trying to get used to the various menus and screens in the new IOS app, and I know it’s still in flux, but I don’t know if I really like it. Maybe because it’s new and I’m used to the old app. Time will tell. 

I do remember around 2005, when Sonos first came out, I was thinking about going with a company called BlueSound. I was shown this at my high end stereo store. This device would rip all your CDs, store and create play lists, play world wide radio stations, and basically do all the things that Sonos does (or used to do). But then I saw a one time commercial during the SuperBowl that year for Sonos and I eventually went with Sonos. I wonder if BlueSound is still in business?

So you released a mandatory “new and Improved” update in May which disabled the ability to access and play music from my personal library located on a NAS. (something that functioned well for at least 12 years.) And now you're telling me that 2 months latter you will try to get around to reinstating the only Sonos function I care about - the only reason I invested all the hardware I purchased from Sonos? Who thought this was a good idea? Based on your botched software launch, I have no confidence that you will successfully restore this basic function and I have no confidence that you will meet your schedule.

local library playback has not been removed and was present from day 1 of the new apps release.  This has been mentioned just a few thousand times around here. 

It may not have been removed for most but for those stuck with smb v1 equipment it was removed and without warning or solution. And tech support, when available, was worthless.

Yes I felt the same way when I updated my IOS app and lost my music library. I took me some time and luckily I had an extra NAS that supported the smb v2 protocol, so I moved my music library over to a WD My Cloud, which I brought around 2015, and with the help of my Windows controller, I set the path to my new NAS and everything came back. I still trying to get used to the various menus and screens in the new IOS app, and I know it’s still in flux, but I don’t know if I really like it. Maybe because it’s new and I’m used to the old app. Time will tell. 

I do remember around 2005, when Sonos first came out, I was thinking about going with a company called BlueSound. I was shown this at my high end stereo store. This device would rip all your CDs, store and create play lists, play world wide radio stations, and basically do all the things that Sonos does (or used to do). But then I saw a one time commercial during the SuperBowl that year for Sonos and I eventually went with Sonos. I wonder if BlueSound is still in business?

Yes I felt the same way when I updated my IOS app and lost my music library. It took me some time and luckily I had an extra NAS that supported the smb v2 protocol, so I moved my music library over to a WD My Cloud, which I brought around 2015, and with the help of my Windows controller, I set the path to my new NAS and everything came back. I’m still trying to get used to the various menus and screens in the new IOS app, and I know it’s still in flux, but I don’t know if I really like it. Maybe because it’s new and I’m used to the old app. Time will tell. 

Bluesound have never supported SMB1 and have no intention of ever supporting it - I enquired directly of their pre-sales team a few years back

Oh, so you needed SMB1 to work. It appears that Sonos dropped support for this protocol with the new app. I checked with two NAS manufacturers and they are downward compatible with SMB1, but they recommended using equipment that was SMB2 or 3 compatible. This, according to them, was the future direction. Overall, I know that Sonos equipment can be a little pricey, but I am always impressed with the sound, detail and quality of their devices. 

Cant log in with admin rights. Was that in the reslase notes?

Please scrap ALL planned “nice-to-have-functionallity” and please fix the fact that people cant control their own system because your crappy app update. Seriously! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

THE SOLUTION:

Overkill

Really? 21st century network speaker system can't cope with 5ghz! Plus sonos haven't suggested this so I'm doubtful it makes any difference.

Userlevel 1

Cant log in with admin rights. Was that in the reslase notes?

Please scrap ALL planned “nice-to-have-functionallity” and please fix the fact that people cant control their own system because your crappy app update. Seriously! 

How about fixing it so I can get my first ever Sonos speaker to be connected to the damn app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Unfortunately, this Wi-Fi issue is yet another problem caused by Sonos removing features and controls when they force released the 80.x S2 controller app.

It’s no surpise that so many users are frustrated, angry and confused trying to get back to anything like the funcionality and ease of use they enjoyed before the first launch of the “new and improved” controller app.

I can honestly see it being months before Sonos restore features and the stability that we have all enjoyed for years.

I’m confused, what are the Wi-Fi issues? I thought that Sonos speakers use the 2.4 gig channel on your local router. I have two speakers plugged into my router for years which of course introduces the SonosNet Mesh topology. Since then I have never had a speaker drop-out as I was having prior to doing this. I miss the WM: code (0-2) that used to indicate if the devices were using Wi-Fi, or Ethernet, or even SonosNet. I can’t remember what number was what. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yes I felt the same way when I updated my IOS app and lost my music library. I took me some time and luckily I had an extra NAS that supported the smb v2 protocol, so I moved my music library over to a WD My Cloud, which I brought around 2015, and with the help of my Windows controller, I set the path to my new NAS and everything came back. I’m still trying to get used to the various menus and screens in the new IOS app, and I know it’s still in flux, but I don’t know if I really like it. Maybe because it’s new and I’m used to the old app. Time will tell. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Bluesound is very much in business. Check Crutchfield, for example. Many other options out there as well, including KEF wireless speakers, Cambridge Audio, NAD and other integrated amps with DAC, bluetooth, streaming, storage capability and phono preamp.

The Sonos pitch was ‘plug it in and play.’ That pitch no longer works. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yes I felt the same way when I updated my IOS app and lost my music library. It took me some time and luckily I had an extra NAS that supported the smb v2 protocol, so I moved my music library over to a WD My Cloud, which I brought around 2015, and with the help of my Windows controller, I set the path to my new NAS and everything came back. I’m still trying to get used to the various menus and screens in the new IOS app, and I know it’s still in flux, but I don’t know if I really like it. Maybe because it’s new and I’m used to the old app. Time will tell. 

I tried to sell my Sonos system because I expected QA and software to get worse, and boy was I correct. Unfortunately, many others have been experiencing similar issues and the market is flooded with second hand Sonos products that people are trying to get rid of. And I don’t blame them.

Putting aside my own thoughts, feelings and experiences of the new app, I have seen a lot of posts like this that state (or imply) that Sonos kit is now worthless, because of the new app.  This post states that @av18 tried to sell his system, suggesting that he was unsuccessful in doing so.

In the first instance there is no suggestion that the hardware is faulty and of course the app doesn’t render the hardware faulty, so that alone would suggest that the value is not significantly impacted by the new app.  But nobody has to take my word for this — just a quick look at EBay’s completed listings show that second hand Sonos kit sells extremely well and for prices that are broadly in line prices obtained before May’s software release.  

If you want to sell up and move on, you are completely at liberty to do so, and you of course should be happy with where you spend your money.  But why you are trying to convince the forum here that your (and by extension our) kit is no worthless is beyond me. This is blatantly not the truth of the matter.  

because without the ability to use the hardware it doesn’t matter how good it is. You need the controller app to use it. One can speculate endlessly about why some price on ebay is what it is, but there are a lot of use who have a lot of sonos components and can’t listen to them anymore.

You are absolutely correct, I agree with you.  But that wasn’t the argument @av18 was puttting forward.  I don’t deny there are many users who are having severe diffficulties with their kit and  I sympathise  with those users.  But thst is not the same as saying Sonos kit is now worthless and impossible, or near impossible to sell.  I am just suggesting that people keep their posts real and grounded in facts — that is all.  

The hardware cannot be used through bluetooth. We use our system not only for audio through TV/arc/HDMI, but frequently to play music through our phone throughout the day. If devices have frequent connectivity issues that require regular troubleshooting, they become unusable since they can’t be used for (in my case) their intended use. You are a part of this thread and see the multitude of issues. I do not believe it is controversial to say that a ‘good’ product with widespread and frequent issues ceases to be ‘good’. Especially when hardware functionality is so dependent on software/firmware/apps. 

PS-  I never said it was worthless or said a word about secondhand pricing (despite it being moot, relative to the intended subject matter of my OP . But I DO say that unless manyyy things are resolved almost immediately it’s not worth the hassle. Also, think it’s telling when the convo turns into a debate on how easy a product is to sell. I don’t think users should need to have such a conversation in the first place

In the first instance there is no suggestion that the hardware is faulty and of course the app doesn’t render the hardware faulty, so that alone would suggest that the value is not significantly impacted by the new app.  But nobody has to take my word for this — just a quick look at EBay’s completed listings show that second hand Sonos kit sells extremely well and for prices that are broadly in line prices obtained before May’s software release.

The hardware isn’t faulty. Neither is the Windows Controller app. In fact, that is the only way I can currently use my system, by manually logging into my Windows box, and directing music from the app to the specific speaker. Music and services play fine through there. Zero issues. This is as of the latest v16.2 I just updated today (some patch which kept the version at 16.2).  The app on the other hand, is completely unusable as of today’s latest release - 80.02.07-release+20240605…

But I’m very serious about selling at this point too. I’ve just ordered some WiiM hardware, and will be playing with that this weekend to decide which direction to go.

My point is that you shouldn’t have to do any of the extra steps you mentioned. I’m sorry you have to do so.

Userlevel 2
Badge

THE SOLUTION:

Overkill

Regards the whole 5GHz - agree with the above.

There is an issue with some chips in WIFI routers/access points etc, including some BT routers and many other branded products. Some of the early chips did not pass traffic between the two frequencies (2.4 & 5 Ghz). This is NOT an issue with Sonos itself, and impacted many end user devices across many manufacturers of differring devices. The solution to this problem is either:

1. put all the devices that need to communicate with each others on the same frequency, i.e. all on 2.4 or all on 5 on one of the two frequencies. In reality this means if you have older devices put them on the 2.4. Older devices don’t support 5Ghz as it didn’t exist at the time.

Most good modern devices support both frequencies, some cheap modern devices still only support 2.4Ghz.

In my case wth Sonos S1 & S2 this would mean all Sonos devices need to be on the 2.4Ghz network, in addition your phone/tablet etc will also need to be connected to the 2.4Ghz network so it can “see” the Sonos devices.

For me solution B was better, which I achieved by adding my own WiFi Access Point to the network and swithcing of WiFI on my ISP router.

2. Replace your wifi router/access point with a device that does work correctly across 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 4, 2024. See release notes.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button
  • Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds
  • Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired 
  • Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

I was just reading what should currently be working. I am able to add a song to the end of the current queue. So that’s good, but once it’s in the queue (playlist) I can’t move it to another position. I think that is coming?  Also, every time I search for a song, the app seems to search the radio stations, which I don’t use. I have my own extensive music library, with my own songs sitting on my NAS drive (supporting SMB2). Can you (Sonos) please look into this. Oh, I just noticed above, that may be planned for mid-June. What’s always been a problem, even with the old app (that worked) is that when I would search for a song that I know is in that queue, it wouldn’t go to that song to allow me to play it, but instead, add that song again to the current position. This is why my queues keep getting larger and larger. That sounds like an easy fix. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

I was just reading what should currently be working. I am able to add a song to the end of the current queue. So that’s good, but once it’s in the queue (playlist) I can’t move it to another position. I think that is coming?  Also, every time I search for a song, the app seems to search the radio stations, which I don’t use. I have my own extensive music library, with my own songs sitting on my NAS drive (supporting SMB2). Can you (Sonos) please look into this. Oh, I just noticed above, that may be planned for mid-June. What’s always been a problem, even with the old app (that worked) is that when I would search for a song that I know is in that queue, it wouldn’t go to that song to allow me to play it, but instead, add that song again to the current position. This is why my queues keep getting larger and larger. That sounds like an easy fix. 

Available now

Coming soon

My Alexa still works along with my 19:30 alarm each evening, so no trouble there. And I might give Trueplay a try later since I’ve noticed that my Beam sounds different and a little tinny or hollow. But otherwise, my surround sound seams to be working okay.