The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1553 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I had retained Sonos S2 on my iphone and had the auto-update option turned off in my settings. This allowed me to retain access to my Sonos playlists. 

For the past week, my network security (Netgear Armor) kept notifying me that Sonos was trying to access my phone and had been blocked.

Woke up this morning and went to my iphone to play music. S2 is gone. Instead I opened the Sonos icon and got bombarded with ads for Sonos headphones and Roam speakers; then once I managed to get around that crap, found myself staring at the S3 interface. MY PLAYLISTS ARE GONE. So now neither my ipad nor my i-hone will allow me to access my music. I am completely, irrevocably screwed.

I then went to search and queue up music from my streaming services. Here’s the problem… I can’t even create a queue. I have the option to play a song or an entire album; selecting either replaces anything and everything that's in an existing queue.

Holy cow. Now my system really and truly has been reduced to a $3,000 set of doorstops. I have not been this angry in a long, long time.

I had a feeling Sonos might try and force an update after their lack of remorse and refusal to roll back the app, so have made sure I have signed out of their server on all of my apps, just in case. Appears that was a wise move. Originally went to the new app, found it made my speakers useless, spent a large amount of time on an app rollback ,once working again, then signed out ‘just in case’ as I said.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You also need to make sure that auto updates are off on the iphone as well as the auto updates in the Sonos app, and Don’t click ‘update all’ on the iphone apps in the app store.

Disaster.  They have ruined the app and I can’t access any of my imported play lists.   Get it right before you launch.  You have ruined your brand.  

brutal.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I had autoupdate turned off in the Sonos app on my phone. I never ‘update all’ in the app store. I’ve studiously avoided the Sonos update on my phone for weeks, after I had mistakenly updated the app on my tablet. It’s as though Sonos hacked my phone. My network security sent notifications that it was blocking ‘suspicious incoming’ from Sonos for days. I guess Sonos figured out a way around it.

I spent considerable time with Sonos support yesterday… via chat, where I started as number 30 in line. Their only ‘fix’ was a further update, which I broke down and did.

Now I can actually create a queue, although it cannot be saved as a playlist. Unfortunately, half the time the queue will fail to load and I’ll get error messages. Often the app won’t find one or two of my three stereo pairs. Volume control works intermittently. Virtually all functions are sluggish. I honestly don’t know and don’t much care whether the buzzers and bells like trueplay work… I’m not gonna sweat the small stuff when the basics are still nonfunctional.

The new interface is abysmal. It’s cluttered and difficult to read. Searches by artist fail to find albums and tracks I know are there. Quite a few times, I had to resort to google, find an artist’s discography, get the exact title and return to Sonos to search the album or track by title. 

And still no sign of the playlists I’d saved over the course of a decade; and no way to create new playlists. 

It’s a fiasco. This wouldn’t pass muster as a beta testing version of a new app. And we’re all being force-fed the little monster. What really ticks me off are the damn popup ads, every time I open the app, touting their new headphones and the ‘Roam2’… both answers to questions nobody asked outside of a Sonos corporate conference room.

Other than ‘The New Coke,’ I can’t remember another time a business so thoroughly trashed its own brand.  It’s like corporate seppuku.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I had autoupdate turned off in the Sonos app on my phone. I never ‘update all’ in the app store. I’ve studiously avoided the Sonos update on my phone for weeks, after I had mistakenly updated the app on my tablet. It’s as though Sonos hacked my phone. My network security sent notifications that it was blocking ‘suspicious incoming’ from Sonos for days. I guess Sonos figured out a way around it.

Are your ipad and phone using the same apple id ? as the app version will be the same for any devices using that Id. If you update it on one of them, it will propagate to the other devices. Most of us found that as soon as you updated one device all the rest failed to work at all, until you downloaded the new version.

However, provided you have experience of IT systems, reverting has been achieved. Have a look at the following thread 

it provides some pointers on how to get there. It does require use of a proxy server and it is advisable to understand the behaviour of this type of system before attempting it.  If you decide to do it and want the app build version number I can give you the one I used if you need it, just PM me on here. On a further note Charles is not a person.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Once back to where I wanted and configured, I logged the app out of sonos.com in the app settings.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Search and play your local music library from June 21? Sorry what?

Do you not realise how many of your users have huge libraries of locally stored music and THIS IS THE ONLY REASON WE USE YOUR APP?!!!

So in the name of a "user experience upgrade" you take away my core user experience for six weeks?

How did it not occur to you that this would annoy your oldest and most loyal customers? But perhaps that doesn't count for anything. It certainly feels like it right now. 

My Sonos products are getting quite old now and I was thinking of replacing them. I guess I will but it won't be with Sonos. Give yourselves a big round of applause. 

Most of my over 800 CDs are stored locally on my NAS drive and I perform routine backups. I recently was able to restore my music directory by accident. But as a result, I have a lot of duplicates in various playlists that I have to start rearranging. Please don’t introduce any more major bugs in the future updates. I think the tiles are very graphic intensive and are affecting the overall response time of the app. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

jennydeione, I’m all thumbs when it comes to IT stuff; which was the attraction of Sonos to begin with. It was marketed as an entrée to digital music for dummies who weren’t inclined to go beyond plugging some hardware into an AC socket and downloading an app to run the hardware.

That’s pretty much all that was required, and suddenly I had access to a vast library of music, much of which I had purchased on vinyl and CDs but never gotten around to playing after the equipment to play them had been stashed in storage.

I really enjoyed using my Sonos system for quite a few years and perhaps foolishly assumed I could continue to do so without going back to college (at age 70) to study computer science.

That should have been a safe assumption… and it was until some damn executives and tech nerds decided to screw around and fix what wasn’t broken.

They’re like kids who decided to disassemble a watch and now can’t figure out how to put it back together. Only this watch belongs to about a million people.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Are your ipad and phone using the same apple id ? as the app version will be the same for any devices using that Id. If you update it on one of them, it will propagate to the other devices.

Not true… I have 2 ipads, both with the same id, one I updated, saw the mess, and didnt update the other, and that one still uses the old version app.

You have to make sure that “Automatically download apps purchased on your other Apple devices” is off

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m all thumbs when it comes to IT stuff; which was the attraction of Sonos to begin with. It was marketed as an entrée to digital music for dummies who weren’t inclined to go beyond plugging some hardware into an AC socket and downloading an app to run the hardware.

That’s pretty much all that was required, and suddenly I had access to a vast library of music, much of which I had purchased on vinyl and CDs but never gotten around to playing after the equipment to play them had been stashed in storage.

I really enjoyed using my Sonos system for quite a few years and perhaps foolishly assumed I could continue to do so without going back to college (at age 70) to study computer science.

That should have been a safe assumption… and it was until some damn executives and tech nerds decided to screw around and fix what wasn’t broken.

They’re like kids who decided to disassemble a watch and now can’t figure out how to put it back together. Only this watch belongs to about a million people.

BRAVO @chambolle, your post above is cogent and on the money! I live and work in Silicon Valley and I am constantly reminding people that they must think about Normal People such as yourself.

Most unfortunately, this entire Sonos “new app” episode is a case study in how not to do things for Normal People.

I’m all thumbs when it comes to IT stuff; which was the attraction of Sonos to begin with. It was marketed as an entrée to digital music for dummies who weren’t inclined to go beyond plugging some hardware into an AC socket and downloading an app to run the hardware.

BRAVO @chambolle, your post above is cogent and on the money! I live and work in Silicon Valley and I am constantly reminding people that they must think about Normal People such as yourself.

Most unfortunately, this entire Sonos “new app” episode is a case study in how not to do things for Normal People.

I convinced my partner that she would like some Sonos speakers (2x move) at her house - she reluctantly bought them and with S1 she thought they were good.  S2 brought a bit more friction - her bose BT speaker came out on occasion but largely Sonos won the day.  Since the latest update they are now expensive paper weights.  that $80 BT speaker is back to being primary music source.  The day a BT speaker is a better UX than sonos is a very sad day.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

As someone who did graduate computer science at university, I can safely tell you that you would have been equally frustrated with Sonos if you did. Maybe even more so.

Thank you for the update.

What is the status of reintroducing Trueplay on Android?
You have disabled the feature in the old app; it is greyed out, and when tapped, it says an update needs to be installed. But there is no Trueplay after updating. 
This is highly confusing and makes the impression Sonos has no respect for its customers.

I previously reached out to your customer support, they first claimed there would be no Trueplay on Android, and later that it would be coming, but they did not know when.
This makes the impression your customer support is clueless.

The update you posted above does not mention Trueplay on Android specifically. I have installed the update, and the feature is still not there.

So is it coming, and when?

And if not, what does Sonos plan to do regarding the now missing feature that its products (e.g., Era300) are being sold ‘with’?

Looking forward to a competent response.
Thank you.

I tried to delete the s2 application and re-download the latest version of the installation, reset the device to factory settings and reactivate it, trueplay magically returned haha.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Is anybody able to add to their playlists?

Anyone know how to start a class-action lawsuit??

Badge

You have disabled the feature in the old app; it is greyed out, and when tapped, it says an update needs to be installed. But there is no Trueplay after updating. 
This is highly confusing and makes the impression Sonos has no respect for its customers.

I previously reached out to your customer support, they first claimed there would be no Trueplay on Android, and later that it would be coming, but they did not know when.

The update you posted above does not mention Trueplay on Android specifically. I have installed the update, and the feature is still not there.

And if not, what does Sonos plan to do regarding the now missing feature that its products (e.g., Era300) are being sold ‘with’?

Thank you.

I tried to delete the s2 application and re-download the latest version of the installation, reset the device to factory settings and reactivate it, trueplay magically returned haha.

wow. i have the preceding (‘good’) version of the app on another phone, and trueplay is greyed out.

Badge

Thank you.

wow. i have the preceding (‘good’) version of the app on another phone, and trueplay is greyed out.

replied too quickly. you mean you have trueplay in the new app (after reinstallation) on android, and trueplay is there, after resetting the loudspeakers?

why does not sonos know to advise that???

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you.

@wkusnierczyk 

Many features have been removed in the new App, some hopefully temporarily and will come back and others that are back, albeit inconsistently for some it seems.

Trueplay for Android is not one of them though as it has never existed so wasn’t removed.  If it was available in your previous version then I can only assume you did it at some point in the past on an Apple device.

Badge

Thank you.

@wkusnierczyk

Many features have been removed in the new App, some hopefully temporarily and will come back and others that are back, albeit inconsistently for some it seems.

Trueplay for Android is not one of them though as it has never existed so wasn’t removed.  If it was available in your previous version then I can only assume you did it at some point in the past on an Apple device.

This is not true. I had Trueplay on Android, used it, you can’t say it never existed. That’s pure BS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I thought Trueplay was available on Android for the Era speakers...?

Badge

I thought Trueplay was available on Android for the Era speakers...?

Of course it was. I still have it on an Android phone, just disabled and asking for app update (which would effectively remove it).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Anyone know how to start a class-action lawsuit??

Yes, you visit a lawyer. Or close your eyes and wish really really hard. Both are as likely to happen as the other...

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OK, that isn’t what I call Trueplay to be honest.  Trueplay uses the device’s microphones and only Apple is supported.  This is ‘Advanced tuning’

However, Era can use a type of Quick Tuning as this uses the microphones of the speaker, not the device.

Badge

OK, that isn’t what I call Trueplay to be honest.  Trueplay uses the device’s microphones and only Apple is supported.  This is ‘Advanced tuning’

However, Era can use a type of Quick Tuning as this uses the microphones of the speaker, not the device.

Okay, can you please provide reference for your claims?
Trueplay is what you say, and automated tuning using the devices speakers and microphones to probe the environment. This is what I had been doing multiple times with Era300s using an Android phone.

It’s great to have opinions, but I am very clear you’re wrong here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Okay, can you please provide reference for your claims?
Trueplay is what you say, and automated tuning using the devices speakers and microphones to probe the environment. This is what I had been doing multiple times with Era300s using an Android phone.

It’s great to have opinions, but I am very clear you’re wrong here.

Will this do?