The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1601 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Sonos had to overhaul the app when bringing out the headphones. Connectivity with them works suboptimal,  check the reviews. 

Now they may get new customers due to the headphones but loose some due to the bad app update. 

I will keep my sonos stuff for the moment  as it runs good with the old S2 app on Android. But I will certainly NOT buy any new Sonos product or promote them.

As a 30+ years developer I ask Sonos: why didn't you bring out a separate headphones app bridging with S2 app. You could have merged them later.

Is there a time frame to expect a bug fix to address the known Roam SL compatibility issue? My recently purchased Roam is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. If the bug fix does not happen soon I will have no choice but to return it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The 80.02.04 is still useless ! The system doesn’t work. It connects and disconnects without any reason. Music plays and stops playing without any reason.

Will there be a solution to this nightmare or shall I forget about all the money spent in my Sonos system which doesn’t work as simple speaker anymore ?

It sounds like at least some of your issues are not related to the app.  Music is not routed through the phone or the app on the phone, so if it is stopping unexpectedly this would not be the app.  It could be network issues causing this.

Yes, I was thinking network issues also. I had one speaker a couples of years ago in the far reaches (in the Kitchen) from my router that would stop and skip occasionally, especially on rainy days. My router is upstairs and I have a direct cat5e going downstairs to a gigabyte switch under my TV. I plugged one port into my Sonos Connect which is near the switch and created the SonosNet topology, which is a mesh network. Along with having a BSEE, I am also a Cisco Engineer. So I know a little about networking. The mesh topology allows all the speakers to communicate with each other and basically extends your Wi-Fi coverage. So one of my speakers downstairs (Beam, Connect, Play 3, etc.) is providing Wi-Fi coverage to the Kitchen speaker instead of relying on a direct shot to my router and I never had a dropout again on that speaker. And that Kitchen speaker also has Alexa enabled and there were many times she wouldn’t talk or respond to me. So I don’t know if you can run an Ethernet cable to one of your speakers, but that might help you.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

TOTAL INCOMPETENCE- i have never seen any company company provide and update that eliminates key features - like allowing users to listen their music library.

i am surprised that the media and investment community has not yet picked up on this. 🤔

Of course, it has been stated dozens and dozens of times, maybe hundreds of times that Sonos has not remove the ability to play local libraries.  I’ll repeat that, as for some reason the message gets lost.  Sonos has NOT removed the ability to play local libraries.

i have been enjoying my own local library from day one of the new apps release, and so has every other Sonosuser I know.

There has been posts about any specific issues that may have caused your own library not to be available, and I suggest looking them over or calling Sonos for support.  But whatever that reason is, it it’s not because that functionality has been removed. 

One of the things that would be really helpful would be for the release notes for the updates to have a list of known issues.

Local library access is a good example of the requirement for this because as far as I can tell there are two types of issue:

1. The drop of SMB-V1 support. This should be easy to identify and has a known resolution (even if users are unhappy about it).
  2. Other undefined issues. I’m sure that as Sonos investigate this they will find patterns that may include the NAS/File Sharing Service, the speakers in use, etc. These may be harder to diagnose and/or fix but by collating and publishing the information Sonos can at least demonstrate that they understand what is happening. This will also help manage customer expectations. But Sonos need to take into account that for the users in this group the file sharing worked with the old app so the inference is that Sonos broke it.

Sonos might not be able to fix everything in a day but they can communicate better and in my opinion the biggest problem with the release of this App is the ack of communication. 

Sonos used to be a lot better than this. Yes, you listed the two biggest issues above. Users should have been informed about the dropping of the SMB1 support with the new app. That is what really caused most of the problems. I’m sure we will all get over this in the near future (I hope).  I remember years ago, my music stopped working and I contacted Sonos Tech Support and they knew right away what the problem was. In my setup, I point my Sonos music library to my iTunes library, since all the music that I purchase is usually through iTunes. But when the music stopped a while back Sonos knew right away that Apple had changed something in the iTunes directory which caused the music not working. We talked for a while since we were both technical and I realized that in order to work for Sonos Tech Support, you had to know all the intricacies of all the various music services to keep these expensive speakers running. So I was always impressed with Sonos. So hopefully they will survive this mishap and we will all be up and running soon. Can’t wait. 

Not entirely true. My shared music library is hanging off of a Windows 2019 server. SMBv1 is disabled by default, and SMBv2/3 has been in use for years. I haven’t had any visibility or sharing issues until this latest update when my shared library, and practically all other functionality disappeared. It’s an app issue. My PC controller app didn’t change. Only in the process of troubleshooting did I upgrade it from 16.1 to 16.2 with no luck. Again, primarily an app issue. Right now it’s a waiting game until Sonos can get their ducks back in a row. A looonnnggg waiting game.

I, too, have gotten the “you must be using SMB1” response. Same as you, of course I’m not, I’ve been using the S2 app for as long as it’s been around. It is the update that is breaking everything! Thank goodness I spend $3.99 of Sonospad so I can use my stuff - it’s really good for basic playing - better than the Sonos app.

While reading through these posts I’ve glared over users talking about Sonopad and Sonophone, but now I’m going to go back and pay more attention. Might be something I might consider, which would be a shame since Sonos is working so hard on this new app. 

My wife came and talked to me about the new App.. ”I tried changing the music in the gym, the app is not working!!” I must agree with her, this is the worst experience I have had since we started with Sonos products some 15 years ago. The app is just awful, it takes forever to start/stop music, changing songs etc… how could this have happend?

Userlevel 1

Sonos “are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible”.

Presumably they have to listen to the comments strictly in the order they were added.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I tried to sell my Sonos system because I expected QA and software to get worse, and boy was I correct. Unfortunately, many others have been experiencing similar issues and the market is flooded with second hand Sonos products that people are trying to get rid of. And I don’t blame them.

Putting aside my own thoughts, feelings and experiences of the new app, I have seen a lot of posts like this that state (or imply) that Sonos kit is now worthless, because of the new app.  This post states that @av18 tried to sell his system, suggesting that he was unsuccessful in doing so.

In the first instance there is no suggestion that the hardware is faulty and of course the app doesn’t render the hardware faulty, so that alone would suggest that the value is not significantly impacted by the new app.  But nobody has to take my word for this — just a quick look at EBay’s completed listings show that second hand Sonos kit sells extremely well and for prices that are broadly in line prices obtained before May’s software release.  

If you want to sell up and move on, you are completely at liberty to do so, and you of course should be happy with where you spend your money.  But why you are trying to convince the forum here that your (and by extension our) kit is no worthless is beyond me. This is blatantly not the truth of the matter.  

because without the ability to use the hardware it doesn’t matter how good it is. You need the controller app to use it. One can speculate endlessly about why some price on ebay is what it is, but there are a lot of use who have a lot of sonos components and can’t listen to them anymore.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I tried to sell my Sonos system because I expected QA and software to get worse, and boy was I correct. Unfortunately, many others have been experiencing similar issues and the market is flooded with second hand Sonos products that people are trying to get rid of. And I don’t blame them.

Putting aside my own thoughts, feelings and experiences of the new app, I have seen a lot of posts like this that state (or imply) that Sonos kit is now worthless, because of the new app.  This post states that @av18 tried to sell his system, suggesting that he was unsuccessful in doing so.

In the first instance there is no suggestion that the hardware is faulty and of course the app doesn’t render the hardware faulty, so that alone would suggest that the value is not significantly impacted by the new app.  But nobody has to take my word for this — just a quick look at EBay’s completed listings show that second hand Sonos kit sells extremely well and for prices that are broadly in line prices obtained before May’s software release.  

If you want to sell up and move on, you are completely at liberty to do so, and you of course should be happy with where you spend your money.  But why you are trying to convince the forum here that your (and by extension our) kit is no worthless is beyond me. This is blatantly not the truth of the matter.  

because without the ability to use the hardware it doesn’t matter how good it is. You need the controller app to use it. One can speculate endlessly about why some price on ebay is what it is, but there are a lot of use who have a lot of sonos components and can’t listen to them anymore.

You are absolutely correct, I agree with you.  But that wasn’t the argument @av18 was puttting forward.  I don’t deny there are many users who are having severe diffficulties with their kit and  I sympathise  with those users.  But thst is not the same as saying Sonos kit is now worthless and impossible, or near impossible to sell.  I am just suggesting that people keep their posts real and grounded in facts — that is all.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

TOTAL INCOMPETENCE- i have never seen any company company provide and update that eliminates key features - like allowing users to listen their music library.

i am surprised that the media and investment community has not yet picked up on this. 🤔

Of course, it has been stated dozens and dozens of times, maybe hundreds of times that Sonos has not remove the ability to play local libraries.  I’ll repeat that, as for some reason the message gets lost.  Sonos has NOT removed the ability to play local libraries.

i have been enjoying my own local library from day one of the new apps release, and so has every other Sonosuser I know.

There has been posts about any specific issues that may have caused your own library not to be available, and I suggest looking them over or calling Sonos for support.  But whatever that reason is, it it’s not because that functionality has been removed. 

One of the things that would be really helpful would be for the release notes for the updates to have a list of known issues.

Local library access is a good example of the requirement for this because as far as I can tell there are two types of issue:

1. The drop of SMB-V1 support. This should be easy to identify and has a known resolution (even if users are unhappy about it).
  2. Other undefined issues. I’m sure that as Sonos investigate this they will find patterns that may include the NAS/File Sharing Service, the speakers in use, etc. These may be harder to diagnose and/or fix but by collating and publishing the information Sonos can at least demonstrate that they understand what is happening. This will also help manage customer expectations. But Sonos need to take into account that for the users in this group the file sharing worked with the old app so the inference is that Sonos broke it.

Sonos might not be able to fix everything in a day but they can communicate better and in my opinion the biggest problem with the release of this App is the ack of communication. 

Sonos used to be a lot better than this. Yes, you listed the two biggest issues above. Users should have been informed about the dropping of the SMB1 support with the new app. That is what really caused most of the problems. I’m sure we will all get over this in the near future (I hope).  I remember years ago, my music stopped working and I contacted Sonos Tech Support and they knew right away what the problem was. In my setup, I point my Sonos music library to my iTunes library, since all the music that I purchase is usually through iTunes. But when the music stopped a while back Sonos knew right away that Apple had changed something in the iTunes directory which caused the music not working. We talked for a while since we were both technical and I realized that in order to work for Sonos Tech Support, you had to know all the intricacies of all the various music services to keep these expensive speakers running. So I was always impressed with Sonos. So hopefully they will survive this mishap and we will all be up and running soon. Can’t wait. 

Not entirely true. My shared music library is hanging off of a Windows 2019 server. SMBv1 is disabled by default, and SMBv2/3 has been in use for years. I haven’t had any visibility or sharing issues until this latest update when my shared library, and practically all other functionality disappeared. It’s an app issue. My PC controller app didn’t change. Only in the process of troubleshooting did I upgrade it from 16.1 to 16.2 with no luck. Again, primarily an app issue. Right now it’s a waiting game until Sonos can get their ducks back in a row. A looonnnggg waiting game.

I, too, have gotten the “you must be using SMB1” response. Same as you, of course I’m not, I’ve been using the S2 app for as long as it’s been around. It is the update that is breaking everything! Thank goodness I spend $3.99 of Sonospad so I can use my stuff - it’s really good for basic playing - better than the Sonos app.

While reading through these posts I’ve glared over users talking about Sonopad and Sonophone, but now I’m going to go back and pay more attention. Might be something I may consider, which would be a shame since Sonos is working so hard on this new app. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I got Sonospad last week. It’s really nice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

You are absolutely correct, I agree with you.  But that wasn’t the argument @av18 was puttting forward.  I don’t deny there are many users who are having severe diffficulties with their kit and  I sympathise  with those users.  But thst is not the same as saying Sonos kit is now worthless and impossible, or near impossible to sell.  I am just suggesting that people keep their posts real and grounded in facts — that is all.  

I don’t know - I wouldn’t buy Sonos at the moment. If the app isn’t fixed quickly, the stuff it indeed worthless. Were that to happen, I think the price would plunge on ebay. You know, if you can’t use it, maybe a smart person wouldn’t buy it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Wow Sonos. Must WTF is going on. Massive price drops on your speakers.

Is this designed to seriously disappoint existing customers -  myself being out of pocket to the tune of £200 - or what. There seems no logic to it.

Is it a way to encourage new buyers? Or is it a massive rushed clearance sale to shift all that stock by any means possible before you go bust with the major disaster area that is the compulsory app which makes them work.

Do you really think anyone is fooled by this debacle.

Buy speakers. Can’t use them until the end of July - EARLIEST.

Come on Sonos. Just WTF is going on.

You are, if not already have, stumped new product sales. I for one will purchase no more new product until this farrago of a rats nest works absolutely perfectly. NO EXCUSES. 

Words can not explain my terrible disappointment in Sonos as a company. From best in class to junkyard without trying.

As many users suggested, please come back to S2. It’s quite impossible to enjoy music with the new app.

it’s quite strange that an improvement took less functionalities than previous release.

I’m really disappointed about the new user experience.

Fire the CEO.  Simple.

Patrick Spence you are fired!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

As many users suggested, please come back to S2. It’s quite impossible to enjoy music with the new app.

it’s quite strange that an improvement took less functionalities than previous release.

I’m really disappointed about the new user experience.

Well, having been involved in a few, a ground up re-write will often omit “some” features. But nothing like this fiasco!

Userlevel 1

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 4, 2024. See release notes.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button
  • Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds
  • Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired 
  • Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

I would like to see the clear queue function restored in a future update 

Userlevel 1

Oh the lag… The baffling and seemingly endless Lag. If you fix nothing else just stop the lag…..

I love my Sonos system, I have various speakers of various ages in every room, I have been a user for many years and I stream mostly from Spotify or Amazon. 

I know this seems like such a 1st world problem, but I have gigabit fibre into my network, and stream almost constantly…. 

I simply cannot cope with the following nonsense…

• Pressing pause to answer a telephone call, and eventually having to press the “hardware pause” button on top of their speaker to get the music to stop. 
  • Dragging back the play head to hear a great guitar solo again, only to discover that is it showing a different song to the one I am listing to…. 
  • Skipping back to hear a great song again, and … waiting for ever…. and ever…. and ever…. for anything to happen. 
  • Glancing at my phone to find out what Spotify radio has picked for me, and discovering that I appear to still be listing to the song I started 20 minutes ago.

I have already given up on advanced dreams, such as trying to understand what music is playing in which room, or how to group and ungroup playback. I don't care about my Spotify favourites or browsing Spotify the way it looks in Spotify (you know, like we to used to).

I have also relinquished the dream of hitting a “like” button and it registering in Spotify that I like something.

These dreams are over….. Please just stop the lag…. that is all my simple heart needs now…. 

I still love you SONOS, but we need marriage counselling right now, because you extract pure rage from my old head…..  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Oh the lag… The baffling and seemingly endless Lag. If you fix nothing else just stop the lag…..

I love my Sonos system, I have various speakers of various ages in every room, I have been a user for many years and I stream mostly from Spotify or Amazon. 

I know this seems like such a 1st world problem, but I have gigabit fibre into my network, and stream almost constantly…. 

I simply cannot cope with the following nonsense…

• Pressing pause to answer a telephone call, and eventually having to press the “hardware pause” button on top of their speaker to get the music to stop. 
  • Dragging back the play head to hear a great guitar solo again, only to discover that is it showing a different song to the one I am listing to…. 
  • Skipping back to hear a great song again, and … waiting for ever…. and ever…. and ever…. for anything to happen. 
  • Glancing at my phone to find out what Spotify radio has picked for me, and discovering that I appear to still be listing to the song I started 20 minutes ago.

I have already given up on advanced dreams, such as trying to understand what music is playing in which room, or how to group and ungroup playback. I don't care about my Spotify favourites or browsing Spotify the way it looks in Spotify (you know, like we to used to).

I have also relinquished the dream of hitting a “like” button and it registering in Spotify that I like something.

These dreams are over….. Please just stop the lag…. that is all my simple heart needs now…. 

I still love you SONOS, but we need marriage counselling right now, because you extract pure rage from my old head…..  

It's infuriating isn't it? I cannot stop what's playing in the app either. Well not every time. The volume controls have a mind of their own too, sometimes snaping back to zero even though the sound is  coming from the speaker! I miss being able to create and adapt playlists on the fly. It's such poor show from sonos. I'm very disappointed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

I would like to see the clear queue function restored in a future update 

Here is an issue that is making me crazy; when scrolling through my music queue and finally find a song and start playing it, I’ll bring up the larger screen that will show me what’s playing and the time of the song, volume control, etc. Now, when I swipe down to close that window, the IOS Sonos app takes back to the top of the queue and I have to scroll all over again to see where I was. Please make it so it takes you back to the position you where at when you started playing that song. It’s too much scrolling and finding. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The Sonos timeline for fixing the issues in the terrible new controller app seems very optimistic to me. Very little progress seems to have been made so far. 
Their approach by forcing device firmware updates with later versions of the 80.x apps is particularly underhand as it means you can’t roll back to a working version of the controller. 
I’ve disabled automatic firmware updates in the app and rolled my iOS devices back to the last 16.x version of the S2 app. All original functionality is restored nicely. 
I have no intention of buying any more Sonos gear so I’m entirely unworried about the supposed “benefits” of their crappy new app. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Available now

Coming soon

So you released a mandatory “new and Improved” update in May which disabled the ability to access and play music from my personal library located on a NAS. (something that functioned well for at least 12 years.) And now you're telling me that 2 months latter you will try to get around to reinstating the only Sonos function I care about - the only reason I invested all the hardware I purchased from Sonos? Who thought this was a good idea? Based on your botched software launch, I have no confidence that you will successfully restore this basic function and I have no confidence that you will meet your schedule.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

So you released a mandatory “new and Improved” update in May which disabled the ability to access and play music from my personal library located on a NAS. (something that functioned well for at least 12 years.) And now you're telling me that 2 months latter you will try to get around to reinstating the only Sonos function I care about - the only reason I invested all the hardware I purchased from Sonos? Who thought this was a good idea? Based on your botched software launch, I have no confidence that you will successfully restore this basic function and I have no confidence that you will meet your schedule.

local library playback has not been removed and was present from day 1 of the new apps release.  This has been mentioned just a few thousand times around here. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

As you keep parroting @Andrew-s but you fail to mention that for most users, this needed to be done from a laptop controller app. Not exactly ideal for customers used to be able to use their own hardware wherever they choose without having to haul a laptop around. 

Can you please inform me when the issue with SONOS app listing Alexa voice control on the ARC as ‘already added’ when Alexa is not installed. This release crippled a product component making the ARC unusable with Alexa and a process to restore this product feature needs to be distributed. Even when ALEXA SONOS Skill is disabled SONOS still lists Alexa as Already added. 

It has been a month without Alexa service

local library playback has not been removed and was present from day 1 of the new apps release.  This has been mentioned just a few thousand times around here. 

It may not have been removed for most but for those stuck with smb v1 equipment it was removed and without warning or solution. And tech support, when available, was worthless.