The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1601 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Is this a joke? You’ve edited the timeline for the fixes. Now local music libraries has moved to July? 

Go back to the old version until you get this right, then launch it instead of experimenting on our systems.  Even trying to downgrade, I now get an error saying that my system is not compatible. 

Being able to play your own music is THE FUNDAMENTAL FEATURE of any media centre. That should be the most critical issue. 

To be fair, the “Create and edit local music library: July” was not in the original timeline, just the search and playback.

Like the queue management, all we get is “play next”, “add to end of queue” No word on actual queue management, likely there will be a timeline magically appear for that one too.

To be clear, local libraries were a function that we always had up until this update. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Dude, they eliminated local music library playback and told everyone it would be fixed mid June.  Now July, soon never.  No need to be fair, they are continuing to screw their customer base by now providing false expectations.  I bet we never get local music library functionality back, just seems like we continue to get sand bagged.  Awful management team.

Uhhh, not they didn’t “eliminate local music library playback”.  They dropped support for a supposedly insecure share protocol (SMB v1) which left a small portion of the user base without access to their library.  They also screwed the pooch by not having library management in the mobile apps on day 1, so library management has to be done via the PC/Mac controller, or the web app.  But local library playback (as hampered as it is on the mobile app) was never “eliminated”.

Yes. For a while I thought the same thing since all my music was on a network drive that didn’t support the SMB2 protocol. After hours on the phone with Tech Support this was told to me. I moved all music to a WD MY Cloud and just like that all my music came back. I did this via my Windows controller which works well for me. But what I don’t understand is every time I use my IOS app using one of my iPads a little window keeps popping up telling me to go into settings and turn on Bluetooth. I don’t need Bluetooth and I always have to hit cancel. Am I missing something?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dude, they eliminated local music library playback and told everyone it would be fixed mid June.  Now July, soon never.  No need to be fair, they are continuing to screw their customer base by now providing false expectations.  I bet we never get local music library functionality back, just seems like we continue to get sand bagged.  Awful management team.

Uhhh, not they didn’t “eliminate local music library playback”.  They dropped support for a supposedly insecure share protocol (SMB v1) which left a small portion of the user base without access to their library.  They also screwed the pooch by not having library management in the mobile apps on day 1, so library management has to be done via the PC/Mac controller, or the web app.  But local library playback (as hampered as it is on the mobile app) was never “eliminated”.

Yes. For a while I thought the same thing since all my music was on a network drive that didn’t support the SMB2 protocol. After hours on the phone with Tech Support this was told to me. I moved all music to a WD MY Cloud and just like that all my music came back. I did this via my Windows controller which works well for me. But what I don’t understand is every time I use my IOS app using one of my iPads a little window keeps popping up telling me to go into settings and turn on Bluetooth. I don’t need Bluetooth and I always have to hit cancel. Am I missing something?

It appears that the new desktop app is not supported by Mac OS. Most functions do not work on my iPhone or iPad either. No saved music, no web app, no local libraries. Tried to downgrade to an older version and it would not allow me to do that either.  it’s BS when some people suggest that “most people” have not lost functionality. They have no way of knowing how many people are affected - only SONOS can see that. 

Userlevel 1

Bought my first and only Sonos device a few days ago, the IKEA bookshelf speaker. Can’t get it to setup at all with the Sonos app. If I try wireless connection it will show on my router but the app can never see the speaker. It asks for the wifi password and sits there a long time and says it’s added the speaker but may not appear in system settings and if it doesn’t to unplug the speaker and plug it back in to finish setup. If only that worked. It never shows up. If I connect it via the ethernet cable it says it finds it and setup completes but the speaker never shows in the app. I installed the Windows app and if connected via wifi it can never see anything but with Ethernet it sees the “Sonos Device” but then says to go to my mobile device to add the speaker. It’s maddening. I spent 2 hours on the phone with “support” yesterday doing things over and over again to no avail.

The hilarious thing is I got the speaker to use with my home automation system and it does find the speaker when on Ethernet and I’m able to use it but I really want the speaker located else where. 

As a retired programmer I don’t get how they ever released this current app it just seems to be loaded with bugs. Why can’t I just have an option for advanced user and give it the IP address of the speaker and be done with it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey Sonos - LOCAL MUSIC LIBRARY CREATION AND PLAYBACK … NOW!!

A large number of your “customers” don’t use streaming music as much as we listen to the music we own. How about you FIX THIS so my system has some functionality again?????

To be clear, local libraries were a function that we always had up until this update. 

And we still have them.  Whatever is wrong with your system, it isn’t the fact that Sonos eliminated support for local libraries.

It appears that the new desktop app is not supported by Mac OS. Most functions do not work on my iPhone or iPad either. No saved music, no web app, no local libraries. Tried to downgrade to an older version and it would not allow me to do that either.  it’s BS when some people suggest that “most people” have not lost functionality. They have no way of knowing how many people are affected - only SONOS can see that. 

Nonsense.  We surely can give an estimate.  There are under 1000 (far under, in fact) new registrations since the new app.  Some fraction of those are about local libraries.  Call it 600 (another large overestimate).  Even if there are 10 times that amount (there’s that overestimate again) which don’t bother coming on here to complain, 6000 people is a tiny fraction of the millions of Sonos users out there.  

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Bought my first and only Sonos device a few days ago, the IKEA bookshelf speaker. Can’t get it to setup at all with the Sonos app. If I try wireless connection it will show on my router but the app can never see the speaker. It asks for the wifi password and sits there a long time and says it’s added the speaker but may not appear in system settings and if it doesn’t to unplug the speaker and plug it back in to finish setup. If only that worked. It never shows up. If I connect it via the ethernet cable it says it finds it and setup completes but the speaker never shows in the app. I installed the Windows app and if connected via wifi it can never see anything but with Ethernet it sees the “Sonos Device” but then says to go to my mobile device to add the speaker. It’s maddening. I spent 2 hours on the phone with “support” yesterday doing things over and over again to no avail.

The hilarious thing is I got the speaker to use with my home automation system and it does find the speaker when on Ethernet and I’m able to use it but I really want the speaker located else where. 

As a retired programmer I don’t get how they ever released this current app it just seems to be loaded with bugs. Why can’t I just have an option for advanced user and give it the IP address of the speaker and be done with it?

It’s a shame you are having so much trouble with your first speaker. I’m sure it’s because of all these bugs in the new app. But I’m remembering my first time with Sonos. I remember you first have to turn on Bluetooth and talk to the speaker that way, and the enter your Wi-Fi info and that should be it. After that, each new device should be a breeze to add to your Sonos system. So hang in there and sorry you are having a bad experience, but it normally isn’t that difficult. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It appears that the new desktop app is not supported by Mac OS. 

I have the desktop app on MacOS. I updated it only yesterday. It works fine here. (The app is still very much the old one, just a little updated.) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

And we still have them.  Whatever is wrong with your system, it isn’t the fact that Sonos eliminated support for local libraries.

True, they just tell you to set up and use Plex if you want to search your music library and don’t tell you should use the SonoPhone / SonoPad apps if you want to manage the queue….until sometime in July maybe...wherever they’ve moved the goal post to now for fixing their busted app - which, by the way is acknowledged by SONOS to be broken, hence the “future” fix list they published.  There is zero case to be made that things are mostly OK.

But, it’s all great now, right? The DIY kit you coble together with 3rd party products to mitigate the Sonos app regression.  Wonderful.  Can’t imagine why anyone could complain. 🤔

And support is so overloaded by the fiasco, if this guy has a legit config question, good luck to him getting a) an answer and b) a correct answer.  The fact that people had working systems before this update and now do not is not those user’s fault.  And they are right to be frustrated over it.

Userlevel 1

It’s a shame you are having so much trouble with your first speaker. I’m sure it’s because of all these bugs in the new app. But I’m remembering my first time with Sonos. I remember you first have to turn on Bluetooth and talk to the speaker that way, and the enter your Wi-Fi info and that should be it. After that, each new device should be a breeze to add to your Sonos system. So hang in there and sorry you are having a bad experience, but it normally isn’t that difficult. 

Bluetooth is on and I was on the phone with support for well over an hour yesterday just retrying everything I had already done. The support agent said they are buried in support calls right now with many of them having to do with these setup issues. They said they were just hoping to help one person as I guess thus far that day it had been a bust…..

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I was hoping today’s update would return some of the queue functionality - not just play next etc. but the ability to remove and reorder songs. I use this daily, and it’s been missing since the new app landed. When will it return, as it’s unclear from the release notes?

I think they pushed that back to July now. I don’t like that. 

Based on what? They never mentioned it on the roadmap. And I don't think they are in quite the position to "underpromise and overdeliver" just yet.

It says above “create and edit local music library - July”.

I don't see the word 'queue' there. And that's exactly my point. You're assuming that Sonos includes editing the queue in playback options. I don't have that much faith in Sonos product management anymore.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It appears that the new desktop app is not supported by Mac OS. 

I have the desktop app on MacOS. I updated it only yesterday. It works fine here. (The app is still very much the old one, just a little updated.) 

I tried to update the desktop app yesterday, and it kept failing. Uninstalled, reinstalled - still nothing. Checked all the security/share settings and tried again - nothing. 🤷🏻

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Bluetooth is on and I was on the phone with support for well over an hour yesterday just retrying everything I had already done. The support agent said they are buried in support calls right now with many of them having to do with these setup issues. They said they were just hoping to help one person as I guess thus far that day it had been a bust…..

So then it must be the app.  Sorry.  Keep checking the Sonos support page for updates. I check first thing each morning and once during the day.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Update tonight for android - 80.02.06. Haven't checked Apple devices. Slightly less lag on start up, recently played/Sonos favs go AWOL sporadically still... still flaky.

Local library still there, but still nowhere on menu to see server address, update library (so can't download new content and sync). Can now add to Sonos favs without random disappeance. Can add albums both from local library and streaming services to queue, but still can't clear queue or delete single tracks from it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

If that is the case, why do I get a 913 error each time I tried to link Sonos to my Mac music library?  That functionality has been eliminated for me. Please tell me what I am doing wrong…

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Need the downgrade from S2 to S1 capability back so we can use products on S1 system

Agree 100%.  There are two ways they could achieve this:

1. Add it to the new Sonos APP… I doubt this is a priority given all the other demands for fixes to that app
  2. Release an update to the S1 app and re-introduce the ability to downgrade an S2 device from the S1 app!  This is how it used to work for ages.  The code exists.  Just turn it back on.

TOTAL INCOMPETENCE- i have never seen any company company provide and update that eliminates key features - like allowing users to listen their music library.

i am surprised that the media and investment community has not yet picked up on this. 🤔

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

TOTAL INCOMPETENCE- i have never seen any company company provide and update that eliminates key features - like allowing users to listen their music library.

i am surprised that the media and investment community has not yet picked up on this. 🤔

Of course, it has been stated dozens and dozens of times, maybe hundreds of times that Sonos has not remove the ability to play local libraries.  I’ll repeat that, as for some reason the message gets lost.  Sonos has NOT removed the ability to play local libraries.

i have been enjoying my own local library from day one of the new apps release, and so has every other Sonosuser I know.

There has been posts about any specific issues that may have caused your own library not to be available. I find it interesting that you haven’t specifically reached out to the community here for help, but have instead complained in your two posts about something that hasn’t actually happened. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Of course, it has been stated dozens and dozens of times, maybe hundreds of times that Sonos has not remove the ability to play local libraries.  I’ll repeat that, as for some reason the message gets lost.  Sonos has NOT removed the ability to play local libraries.

i have been enjoying my own local library from day one of the new apps release, and so has every other Sonosuser I know.

There has been posts about any specific issues that may have caused your own library not to be available, and I suggest looking them over or calling Sonos for support.  But whatever that reason is, it it’s not because that functionality has been removed. 

One of the things that would be really helpful would be for the release notes for the updates to have a list of known issues.

Local library access is a good example of the requirement for this because as far as I can tell there are two types of issue:

1. The drop of SMB-V1 support. This should be easy to identify and has a known resolution (even if users are unhappy about it).
  2. Other undefined issues. I’m sure that as Sonos investigate this they will find patterns that may include the NAS/File Sharing Service, the speakers in use, etc. These may be harder to diagnose and/or fix but by collating and publishing the information Sonos can at least demonstrate that they understand what is happening. This will also help manage customer expectations. But Sonos need to take into account that for the users in this group the file sharing worked with the old app so the inference is that Sonos broke it.

Sonos might not be able to fix everything in a day but they can communicate better and in my opinion the biggest problem with the release of this App is the ack of communication. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There has been posts about any specific issues that may have caused your own library not to be available, and I suggest looking them over or calling Sonos for support.  But whatever that reason is, it it’s not because that functionality has been removed. 

One of the things that would be really helpful would be for the release notes for the updates to have a list of known issues.

Local library access is a good example of the requirement for this because as far as I can tell there are two types of issue:

1. The drop of SMB-V1 support. This should be easy to identify and has a known resolution (even if users are unhappy about it).
  2. Other undefined issues. I’m sure that as Sonos investigate this they will find patterns that may include the NAS/File Sharing Service, the speakers in use, etc. These may be harder to diagnose and/or fix but by collating and publishing the information Sonos can at least demonstrate that they understand what is happening. This will also help manage customer expectations. But Sonos need to take into account that for the users in this group the file sharing worked with the old app so the inference is that Sonos broke it.

Sonos might not be able to fix everything in a day but they can communicate better and in my opinion the biggest problem with the release of this App is the ack of communication. 

Could you tell me what the known resolution is for Mac usersre SMB-V1 support?  Does it mean I need to add a NAS to my home system and move all of my music to the NAS?  There is no way to “upgrade” my Mac library to SMB-V2?

Mac users, this video seems to have worked out how to fix the 913 error and share a library on a Mac (if you’ve already tried this, please don’t shoot the messenger):

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Could you tell me what the known resolution is for Mac usersre SMB-V1 support?  Does it mean I need to add a NAS to my home system and move all of my music to the NAS?  There is no way to “upgrade” my Mac library to SMB-V2?

Unless your NAS is dirt, dirt old, you should be able to make sure you're updated on the latest firmware to ensure you have the ability to use SMBv2/3.  SMBv2 is literally already 20 years old. It would seem unlikely that a relatively newer NAS would not be able to handle that. Unless it's a POS and a cheap knockoff off-brand device.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

There has been posts about any specific issues that may have caused your own library not to be available. I find it interesting that you haven’t specifically reached out to the community here for help, but have instead complained in your two posts about something that hasn’t actually happened. 

Yes, Sonos definitely did not remove the ability to play your stored local music.  I thought this was the case last week when they came out with their new app versions. After working with a knowledgeable person from Sonos Tech Support, he mentioned to try moving my local music library to a newer NAS drive that supports the SMB2 protocol. Luckily I had an additional drive sitting on my home network, so using my own knowledge and abilities, I moved my music to another drive and using the Windows app/controller was able to enter the path to that drive, and as I mentioned in past posts, Sonos updated the music library and everything appears to be working now. Of course, there are still many features that need work, like the ability to add and remove songs from my various music queues (or playlists) but I figured out for now, that with the “add to the end of queue” function, I can at least get that piece of music in that queue or playlist so when Sonos gets the ability to edit the queues, I should be able to move that song to another position in that queue. I’m using the term queue and playlist interchangeable. I hope that doesn’t confuse anyone. And I’m only explaining this because I want to provide some hope to people who are completely not working and feel that things will never work again. I think they will, but I definitely would not buy or add any new Sonos devices to my network until all this dust settles. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Mac users, this video seems to have worked out how to fix the 913 error and share a library on a Mac (if you’ve already tried this, please don’t shoot the messenger):

Thank you for the very informative video. I’m not a Mac user, but I watched it and made my comparisons. I did get the “updating music library” when I successfully entered the path to my network drive. Hopefully this will help a lot of users who think that Sonos did away with the ability to play from their local music library.