The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1621 replies

What a horrible experience this update is - spending my time looking for alternatives to Sonos as the user functionality and features is just bad.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

So, get the app sorted out!

Sonos fan patience tested…….

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I was hoping today’s update would return some of the queue functionality - not just play next etc. but the ability to remove and reorder songs. I use this daily, and it’s been missing since the new app landed. When will it return, as it’s unclear from the release notes?

I think they pushed that back to July now. I don’t like that. 

Based on what? They never mentioned it on the roadmap. And I don't think they are in quite the position to "underpromise and overdeliver" just yet.

It says above “create and edit local music library - July”.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I wish Sonos would stop spamming me about these new headphones and fix the local music library!

The last thing I want to do right now is sink more money into this system that THEY broke and I can’t use on my phone anymore.

I also got a notification that the desktop app wants me to update… hell no.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Great video… but I disagree… the “improved local libraries” is a big farce.  Local libraries still aren’t working even with the newest app.  I can see them on the “web app”, I can see them on the PC app, but from my phone app, they are grayed out, and not functional.  The App in general continues to be a big flaming bag of poo. It continually shows these pinned connections that you can’t get rid of, no matter how many times you delete them.  These ghost artifact favorites that can’t be gotten rid of.  The list just keeps going on and on.

Looking into WiiM right now… seems like the best viable alternative at this moment. My patience has been tested on this incredibly bad move on their part.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I wish Sonos would stop spamming me about these new headphones and fix the local music library!

The last thing I want to do right now is sink more money into this system that THEY broke and I can’t use on my phone anymore.

I also got a notification that the desktop app wants me to update… hell no.

Actually, the desktop Windows app works just fine. If it weren’t for this app, I wouldn’t have been able to point Sonos to my NAS drive and play any saved music. Right now it’s my Sonos “go to” app. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Is this a joke? You’ve edited the timeline for the fixes. Now local music libraries has moved to July? 

Go back to the old version until you get this right, then launch it instead of experimenting on our systems.  Even trying to downgrade, I now get an error saying that my system is not compatible. 

Being able to play your own music is THE FUNDAMENTAL FEATURE of any media centre. That should be the most critical issue. 

Per Sonos support today:

“Yes, our Engineer is currently working on it now regarding with Editing and Adding Sonos Playlist. It will be added soon, as of now we are waiting for an update

Userlevel 2

How about roll back to the old version.  Fix all the stuff, and then release it after June!  Make a dang headphone only S3 version if you must.  Try to win back some good will by doing it right!

I couldn’t agree more!!!

Userlevel 2

What about making physical volume buttons finally work as literally every other app supports? Or a Lock Screen widget?

This would be great!!!

Userlevel 2

I’d love to request fixing the connection for Plex users, have an Apple Watch controller and make the new app faster. Gestures are so slow. For example swiping down to move the current tab is like I'm on a really old iPhone and not a 14 Pro.

Agreed!!! It so slow for everything!!!

Userlevel 2

Thank you for the updates and committing to dates when things will be available. I am pretty ambivalent about the changes - it seems like you will be returning the features I need eventually and let’s not forget the last version of the app wasn’t great either. However, for your info, because of these changes I can’t use the new app until things like the sleep timer are reintroduced.

However, it does seem odd that you have gone to all this trouble and it has made the new app harder to use. For instance, the EQ settings are buried away for each speaker instead of being near the playback controls. And there is much confusion to be had when those slide up panels pop up and slide down to return to the Home Screen, but in some of them the user can slide from the left to go backwards - but not when returning to the Home Screen. It leaves you feeling very confused about how to navigate through the app with no obvious suggestion of sliding left or right to return back to home.

Thanks again for the information and dates on the changes, looking forward to them.

I couldn’t agree more. Everything is so confusing now in the app. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Is this a joke? You’ve edited the timeline for the fixes. Now local music libraries has moved to July? 

Go back to the old version until you get this right, then launch it instead of experimenting on our systems.  Even trying to downgrade, I now get an error saying that my system is not compatible. 

Being able to play your own music is THE FUNDAMENTAL FEATURE of any media centre. That should be the most critical issue. 

To be fair, the “Create and edit local music library: July” was not in the original timeline, just the search and playback.

Like the queue management, all we get is “play next”, “add to end of queue” No word on actual queue management, likely there will be a timeline magically appear for that one too.

Please change the scale of the volume bar. Its just stupid. When my setup plays at normal volume the volume marker is at the far left of the volumebar. Trying to slightly increase or decrease the volume is just impossible. A slight increase of the marker results in an enourmous increase of the volume. I cant imagine how loud it all sounds when i would move the marker to the maximum of the volumebar. Please change how the volumebar scales. Sorry for my bad english

Userlevel 1

I've owned Sonos for 15+ years...6 zone players, etc.

Finally spent four figures on new S2 speakers only to find the new app is crap!

Can't scroll through my library of 800 CDs, and can't get to a track or artist because search doesn't work on the music library!!!

And to add insult to injury, the app has lost all my playlists in the tortuous upgrade process.

Not happy at all - get it sorted Sonos, or I shall be junking the lot.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I've owned Sonos for 15+ years...6 zone players, etc.

Finally spent four figures on new S2 speakers only to find the new app is crap!

Can't scroll through my library of 800 CDs, and can't get to a track or artist because search doesn't work on the music library!!!

And to add insult to injury, the app has lost all my playlists in the tortuous upgrade process.

Not happy at all - get it sorted Sonos, or I shall be junking the lot.

Likewise, got first system in 2005 to make access to cd library manageable... bliss! Now it rather feels like I have a vintage car that complains on cold mornings... but wait... it's actually the latest model... but where's the ignition key? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks for this detailed review.  Glad you have some Local file access.  Every time I try to add my local iMac (25,000 song) music library this is the response I get: 

So for me, there is 0% local file / folder / music library access.  I believe this is because I have a SMB1 library, not SMB2.  No idea how to fix, saw some complicated “adjustments” that I can make to the Mac operating system, which I am not going to do.  Sonos needs an update that gives me access to my music library.  I know many users that have invested thousands of $ that are looking at alternatives for this issue alone.  Personally, I doubt there will be a fix as Sonos wants to focus on streaming.  If you don’t completely sync your local library to a music service, there is no way to directly play through Sonos.

I have my own “hack” which is to stream through Airplay to the sonos speakers.  Not elegant but it works.  Have to use the Apple remote, but once the stream is active Sonos will play and the app provides control over play / pause / ff / rr / volume.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Patrick Spence has “flipped the bird” to all users that have their local music library’s controlled through Sonos.  No need to require this update, could still have S2 functionality, instead we get “kick between the legs” and “flipped the bird”.  There is no courage in doing that to your customer base Patrick. 

I won’t be surprised to see the stock sell off (at 16ish, down from 20) when they miss Q2 24 revenue estimates.  Everyone knows about the issues with the app update, missing revenue will show that Sonos has lost market share and has a reduced intrinsic value.  Can’t see how they beat unless there is financial wizardry being applied with headphone shipments.  Response has been luke warm at best.  

And btw, re the headphones, I was excited before the app upgrade fiasco.  I would have thought about buying before the fiasco, but without the wifi connectivity to the Sonos network (and my music library), this is just another competitor that APPL will crush...

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Coming soon

To be fair, the “Create and edit local music library: July” was not in the original timeline, just the search and playback.

Like the queue management, all we get is “play next”, “add to end of queue” No word on actual queue management, likely there will be a timeline magically appear for that one too.

Dude, they eliminated local music library playback and told everyone it would be fixed mid June.  Now July, soon never.  No need to be fair, they are continuing to screw their customer base by now providing false expectations.  I bet we never get local music library functionality back, just seems like we continue to get sand bagged.  Awful management team.

As you already know from most of your customers, the new app is garbage, give me back the old before you go bankrupt.

Dude, they eliminated local music library playback and told everyone it would be fixed mid June.  Now July, soon never.  No need to be fair, they are continuing to screw their customer base by now providing false expectations.  I bet we never get local music library functionality back, just seems like we continue to get sand bagged.  Awful management team.

Also let’s not forget that before they even released the update they said “Your products features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Bait and hook...

Userlevel 2
Badge

fix lots and release in one go - No, NO, NO - not how modern software should be released - lots of small increments - then at least only one thing will be broken at a time when something goes wrong. Otherwise good video

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Coming soon

No they didn’t.  Local library playback has not been eliminated or removed.  Many (most?) people have continued to enjoy their local libraries from day one of the new app launch (including me), so it stands to reason that they didn’t promise a ‘fix’ for this by mid-June.  I believe (though I can’t be bothered to go back and check) that it was local library setup that was promised for mid-June, but I understand that this is available on the web app.

Uhhh, not they didn’t “eliminate local music library playback”.  They dropped support for a supposedly insecure share protocol (SMB v1) which left a small portion of the user base without access to their library.  They also screwed the pooch by not having library management in the mobile apps on day 1, so library management has to be done via the PC/Mac controller, or the web app.  But local library playback (as hampered as it is on the mobile app) was never “eliminated”.