Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Userlevel 3
They usually have the same interface for all devices. So if runs on android and iOS...expect the same if they make windows app
Userlevel 3
I have over $4000 invested in Sonos equipment, including 2 controllers that have been discontinued and $350 each. I find it astounding that Sonos, after saying they couldn't create an app for Windows phone 7 due to lack of features that were later added, still hasn't developed a Windows phone 8 app. I also agree with others, the rate of feature improvements is pathetically slow. Sonos, if you care about your customers, INVEST in them, lest you have a lot less of them in the future
http://rcpmag.com/articles/2013/05/14/windows-phone-share-stagnates.aspx?m=2 2.9% market share...
Guys, hurry up please!
Userlevel 3
Badge
o dear I just had my last post removed stating the following:

"This post contains an email sent with factually incorrect information."

The funny thing is that i posted an email sent from Sonos making excuses.

i have emailed Microsoft his comments as I believe that they try to apportion blame at their door. This may well be factually incorrect but I will post any reply I get from microsoft 

Hi Gary,

Very interested in this email, having seen how useless Sonos have been over the last year and a bit I'm intrigued as to what there so called customer support is saying. Can you post it somewhere other than this joke?

Ps. http://www.wpcentral.com/ are always looking for WP based stories.
May be we should switch to Philips Fidelio... they support windows phone 8...
Seriously guys, get your act together, how hard can this be. I really would like a Sonos system at home, but have been delaying buying it for way to long now!!!
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for continuing to support this request and for sharing your point of view.  We hear and understand the request for further information but have nothing new to share at this time.  

When we have news to share, this thread will be among the first to know.

Hmm, from reading this it would appear that three years later, after the question of WP/Win8 support was raised, Sonos hasn't contemplated any work, hence the survey.

A three year SLA on responding with a 'meh, lets wait and see' is pretty shabby treatment from a company selling multi-room systems at over £1,000 per room.

I feel like I'm being told to do something with my Sub that isn't anatomically possible.

Thanks, quite literally, for nothing.
I am also another person who is amazed Sonos has not yet delivered on the Microsoft platform. I have 3 Windows 8 PC's, a Surface RT and a Nokia Lumia 920 Windows 8 Phone. That leaves only one iPhone and iPad from which I can control my Sonos. True, the Windows Desktop Sonos controller is available, but it's not what I want. Come on guys, get this platform delivered to your customers.
As work and home-user of tablets and Phones, I made the step from IPad and IPhone to Winodow8 pro and Windows8Phone. I have only Sonos in my house, but cannot play them with my Phone and tablet. Going to Apple or Android is not the option. Can you tell me what  to do?
o dear I just had my last post removed stating the following:

"This post contains an email sent with factually incorrect information."

The funny thing is that i posted an email sent from Sonos making excuses.

i have emailed Microsoft his comments as I believe that they try to apportion blame at their door. This may well be factually incorrect but I will post any reply I get from microsoft 

"Coming Soon... New Sonos Controller App" in big bold letter on the Sonos homepage. Beta program currently underway for Android users and explanation why ios users can't participate in the testing but completely silent in regard to Windows Phone. Unacceptable... Almost 1000 people following this thread and still nothing. Please explain!!! I love the hardware but, like most people here, can't understand why something hasn't been done about this already.
I have two Play 5's, two Play 3's, a soundbar and a sub. I love your equipment and desperately need a Windows Phone 8 app.
Just been in the HiFi Klubben store here in Sweden and received a demo of your system. Was just about to make a decent purchase of your product when I thought to ask about your controller app compatability for my Surface RT and my Nokia Lumina Win phone. I was dumbfounded by the response from the sales rep. Please get serious for the Windows platform if you want to increase your market share and want some of my hard earned Swedish Kroner
Userlevel 1
Four weeks ago I got the message by the official rep of Sonos that they had a survey regarding the Sonos app for windows phone and RT, they wanted me to fill out. I filled out the survey, but haven't heard anything since then. 

I believe this is getting ridiculous. This thread has been going on now for about two years. It's not possible that the programmers at Sonos couldn't have created an app for Windows RT and/or Phone. In a time span of two years I could have gotten a MSc in computer science and written the app myself.   

It might be a good idea for Sonos to give us a status update and ETA when we can expect the app’s.
I have a Windows 8 Pro PC's, a Surface RT and a Nokia Lumia 920. I need apps!
I totally agree.  I am waiting to buy the Sonos system until I can control it with my Windows phone.
Userlevel 1
Lets be honest, Sonos has made huge inroads in popularity using iOS and Android handsets as controllers. They most likely feel it isn't worth their while making one for such a small user base, in comparison to the two that are working just fine for them. In one respect I can understand that but on the other hand, leading us on isn't acceptable.

I have been a Sonos user in the UK for about 10 years, long before they advertised or were available in shops. I sung the praises of the system and many people spent £100s or £1000s on systems. They were always innovating, always moving forward.

Then they got trendy. Fancy ads, way too many "social" music services. They aren't the same company. They have no interest in Windows Phone and I genuinely believe they will never release a controller. And as such, I will never buy another Sonos zone or recommend it as I would then have to tell someone to use iOS or Android, when I know WP is far superior.

Real shame.
Im waiting too for a windows phone 8 app
Windows Phone now has parity on most of the top download apps found on iOS and Android with an “85% overlap” in top-25 titles and still nothing from Sonos. The money this company charge for its products leads me to believe that Sonos either has a disagreement with Microsoft or the management are all Apple fan boys with no desire to make the operating system any more potentially damaging to Apple. The continued absence of a WP controller obviously has nothing to do with finances. A recent email reply from Sonos reminded me that 'the company does not comment on products in development. So, a year into Windows Phone 8 and still this company has nothing to say and Im still having to use a laptop for Sonos. The time has come to consider selling my sonos system and buy something else.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I liked Sonos, I prefered Sonos, I recommened Sonos. Now i don't any longer

The lack of Windows Phone Support and Windows RT support is in no way acceptable. I pay big bucks for a sound system, and expect flexibitily.

I have been forced to purchase the Phonos App. Hey - One guy, can do a Sonos App. But the big Company it self can not. Or, and this is were my likes for Sonos disappeared.  They WON'T!

Come on Guys. This is not a - "Rocket to Mars"-project. A working app with basic funtionality would be a start, make it a beta or something. Adjust expectations. That would buy you some more time to "To Considerate"

What do I actually expect from Sonos. Nut much acutally, just do something more the "Considerate" and "Surveing".  Or at least give the crowd a reason to the lack of Windows Phone and Windows RT. Is it because a specific number of device are to low - then let us know. That I could respect. But all yours "Consideration-mumble-jumble" - to me that is arrogant.

Be aware that a lot of people actually use time to write here! The requires answers, and i Know it is not the Sonos-Policy, but sometimes voices of the real World should win over Company policy.

Daddy is not angry, Daddy is disappointed! VERY Disappointed
Userlevel 2
Another vote for a Windows phone app
Please provide us with more information on release dates, etc. I feel that I could program this myself in a jiffy, provided that Sonos would give me access to the right APIs. Why does it take so long guys?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I liked Sonos, I prefered Sonos, I recommened Sonos. Now i don't any longer

The lack of Windows Phone Support and Windows RT support is in no way acceptable. I pay big bucks for a sound system, and expect flexibitily.

I have been forced to purchase the Phonos App. Hey - One guy, can do a Sonos App. But the big Company it self can not. Or, and this is were my likes for Sonos disappeared.  They WON'T!

Come on Guys. This is not a - "Rocket to Mars"-project. A working app with basic funtionality would be a start, make it a beta or something. Adjust expectations. That would buy you some more time to "To Considerate"

What do I actually expect from Sonos. Nut much acutally, just do something more the "Considerate" and "Surveing".  Or at least give the crowd a reason to the lack of Windows Phone and Windows RT. Is it because a specific number of device are to low - then let us know. That I could respect. But all yours "Consideration-mumble-jumble" - to me that is arrogant.

Be aware that a lot of people actually use time to write here! The requires answers, and i Know it is not the Sonos-Policy, but sometimes voices of the real World should win over Company policy.

Daddy is not angry, Daddy is disappointed! VERY Disappointed

Stumpled over this. Talk about Sonos arrogance. Pete L writes - and i Quote:
"I called SONOS Customer Support at 800-680-2345 to request status of Windows app, and they told me to buy a used I Phone from ebay.  OUCH! "

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/windows_8_surface_pro_vms_sonos_controller
I just installed sons lite $1.99 for what a peace of crap.
Im satisfied with my new Sonos system, but i was allso told that the WP8 app was to be released before christmas. It seems i wont be, and that puts me in the same awkward situatuion as the majority of users in this thread. I have a great working sound system, but im missing the remote i allways have on me. Please fix it Sonos, or at least release a date, strategy or explanation to you users. 
The vast majority of major music services have added official support for Windows Phone such as Spotify, Napster, Rdio, TuneIn Radio, Deezer, Aupeo!, 7digital, Calm Radio, Shazam, Soundhound and more. Sonos is really one of the few to hold out still.

Why Sonos has decided to ignore the third platform is beyond me. For such a innovative company, Sonos is really not making any effort of staying ahead of the game, the lack of support for Windows Phone and Windows RT amazes me.

I could understand this from a much smaller startup company, who don't have the resources to spare on developing for new platforms. But from a company that charges between £170 - £600 for each device they sell, it is a bit of a hard pill to swallow.

A Sonos app for Windows Phone should be a priority for Sonos and the fact that this is still "Under Consideration" is disappointing and a bit insulting to the loyal Sonos customer.