Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

@Ryan E. We are now struggling for over a year to get a Sonos controller on a windows phone and now we get a survey to answer.

Is there no progress in this year and no strategy in the company ???
What happened? From a company with great vision to nothing?

http://www.winbeta.org/news/sonos-says-no-windows-10-universal-app

Nothing happened except they realize a dog when they see one. They are still concentrating on things which will actually bring in sales and grow the company. Voice control is OS independent and the wave of the future. Who needs an app when you can simply talk to your devices? That is great vision.
There has again been a "little" while since the last update, when can we expect more information on possible decision and progress of a Sonos control that supports the Metro UI? 
Userlevel 3
Badge
Just read the same article I think. 
"We've been considering it, but don't have any further plans at the moment."
God, this is so frustrating. This has been the top request for such a long time then we hear statements like that. What the hell is the point of this website if the requests are simply ignored? Or worse, Sonos just sling out surveys to make it look like they may be doing something.
Coming to the conclusion they are just a bunch of time-wasting idiots.

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127919-new-sonos-apps-bring-universal-search-and-streamlined-design
What happened? From a company with great vision to nothing?

http://www.winbeta.org/news/sonos-says-no-windows-10-universal-app

Nothing happened except they realize a dog when they see one. They are still concentrating on things which will actually bring in sales and grow the company. Voice control is OS independent and the wave of the future. Who needs an app when you can simply talk to your devices? That is great vision.

hundreds of millions dog in that case...?

I have plenty of devices that work with voice. Like the Athom Homey, Xbox, cortana on my phone and laptop, siri on my iOS devices. They all have one in common. They just don't work when you listen to music.
Userlevel 2
I'm holding off buying the Sonos sub, until there's a Windows 8 release. The Android app is garbage, especially on a kindle Fire. And the last software update actually made it worse. Sonos your hardware is world class, but your need to fire whoever is in charge of UI design.
I am in the mood to buy a sonos system but I need to know that it will work with my Nokia 920 witch has WP8. Is there going to be a app for this or am I going to haft to choose another comp. system?
This has been going on for over a year now and still no windows phone app from Sonos. just asking us to take surveys and comment here. Well clearly that doesnt work. check out a reply I have from Sonos, trying to steer blame towards Microsoft!!

"I would also like to suggest, if you want the Sonos controller application to run on your Windows phone, that you send this same request to Microsoft."

Well thanks Morgan D'Antonio from Sonos Customer Care but it is not for Microsoft to design and produce on your behalf! Maybe I could ask you to come and do my job for me. This reply has irritated me somewhat

I have plenty of devices that work with voice. Like the Athom Homey, Xbox, cortana on my phone and laptop, siri on my iOS devices. They all have one in common. They just don't work when you listen to music.

Hundreds of millions are already being served by the current desktop application. We are really talking about mobile users which are vanishingly small, and not worth Sonos abandoning the current desktop app to capture. It is simple finances. The current desktop controller works fine, if not optimally for touch users, and the cost of upgrading is not offset by the number of users to be gained. Sorry, but you picked the wrong mobile device, and trying to lump it in with 270 million desktop and laptop users, when even Microsoft says their mobile market is "unsustainable", is disingenuous at best.

Early signs point to Sonos using Alexa/Echo voice technology, which works great when listening to music. The fact the others do not means Sonos is looking in the right direction. There's that vision thing again. 😉
The new PhonosLite app in the Windows store only made the pain of not having a decent Sonos app even worse... Desperately need something in the Windows store!! 😞
@Johan: If like me you love your Windows Phone forget about Sonos. I'm waiting now for more than 2 years and there is still no news from Sonos.
Hi Again, Well this Morgan D'Antonio from Sonos Customer care just wants to dig a bigger hole for himself now, still trying to somehow suggest that Microsoft could be somehow accountable! Is this guy for real or am I missing something here? his email......

"You are correct that Sonos must program the app. And Microsoft must approve it before it can be offered. It's a team effort.

Unlike other platforms such as Google Android, the Microsoft Mobile platform is completely proprietary. Microsoft has total control over what programmers are and are not allowed to access in the phone.

By way of an example, we cannot change the Sonos wireless channel from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad). This is because Apple believes those UPnP protocol commands are just too much of a security risk to allow the devices to use them. So iPhone users have to go to their computers to change that feature in Sonos.

I do not have the specific reason or reasons for the delays in releasing a Win 8 Phone controller. And even if I did have access to that information, Sonos has a strict corporate policy of not discussing new products before their Marketing announcements.

Although it is not recommended by Sonos, perhaps you would be interested in "Phonos". They make Windows Phone applications for Sonos. The Phonos Lite app currently works on Windows 8 and RT... http://www.phonos.org/windows/default.html

Currently, Phonos only permits basic playback control. You can't select new music, change groups, or configure any part of the system. The features that are missing from Phonos Lite are missing, not because Sonos has done anything to block those features."

Hundreds of millions are already being served by the current desktop application. We are really talking about mobile users which are vanishingly small, and not worth Sonos abandoning the current desktop app to capture. It is simple finances. The current desktop controller works fine, if not optimally for touch users, and the cost of upgrading is not offset by the number of users to be gained. Sorry, but you picked the wrong mobile device, and trying to lump it in with 270 million desktop and laptop users, when even Microsoft says their mobile market is "unsustainable", is disingenuous at best, not to mention pathetic.

There is where you're wrong. UWP is NOT just Windows Phone, it's all Windows 10 devices, Laptop, Desktop, Surface, Phone, XBOX the whole bunch. The desktop app indeed is horrible on touch, hence the need for a UWP app.
I did not pick the wrong phone, I have both iPhone and 2 windows phones.
Phonos 8 & RT are now in the Windows App store. However, it needs to be further developed. Currently it only does queue management. Soon no doubt an update will be available, just like with the Phonos WP app. Help support the developer and feed him with good ideas. I hope we soon have a working Phonos controller so we don't have to wait for Sonos itself.
4 months since last update.... Please, let us know if we should ditch our Sonos systems now - or hang on to them while waiting for Win8/WinPhone8 support?
Badge +18
Hi Again, Well this Morgan D'Antonio from Sonos Customer care just wants to dig a bigger hole for himself now, still trying to somehow suggest that Microsoft could be somehow accountable! Is this guy for real or am I missing something here? his email......

"You are correct that Sonos must program the app. And Microsoft must approve it before it can be offered. It's a team effort.

Unlike other platforms such as Google Android, the Microsoft Mobile platform is completely proprietary. Microsoft has total control over what programmers are and are not allowed to access in the phone.

By way of an example, we cannot change the Sonos wireless channel from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad). This is because Apple believes those UPnP protocol commands are just too much of a security risk to allow the devices to use them. So iPhone users have to go to their computers to change that feature in Sonos.

I do not have the specific reason or reasons for the delays in releasing a Win 8 Phone controller. And even if I did have access to that information, Sonos has a strict corporate policy of not discussing new products before their Marketing announcements.

Although it is not recommended by Sonos, perhaps you would be interested in "Phonos". They make Windows Phone applications for Sonos. The Phonos Lite app currently works on Windows 8 and RT... http://www.phonos.org/windows/default.html

Currently, Phonos only permits basic playback control. You can't select new music, change groups, or configure any part of the system. The features that are missing from Phonos Lite are missing, not because Sonos has done anything to block those features."

Hi Gary,

First, please accept my apologies that you received this email and I'd like to thank you for bringing it to our attention.  As you've noted, there are a number of inaccuracies.  You should receive an email from a member of our management team shortly as a follow-up.

I'm going to remove the posting so factually inaccurate information doesn't propagate further.  I hope you understand the rationale for this.  

An official Windows Phone app for Sonos is under consideration but when we do have new information to share, we'll share it here first.  Thank you for your patience and support.

John

There is where you're wrong. UWP is NOT just Windows Phone, it's all Windows 10 devices, Laptop, Desktop, Surface, Phone, XBOX the whole bunch. The desktop app indeed is horrible on touch, hence the need for a UWP app.
I did not pick the wrong phone, I have both iPhone and 2 windows phones.

Yes, yes, yes, we know the mantra: "UWP is not just for phones!!!!" Blah, blah, blah. Sonos obviously does not see the advantage of going to a UWP interface when the current Windows controller does 95% of a UWP and is already working and paid for. The market for "Surface, Phone, XBOX the whole bunch" is obviously a very small fraction of that for laptops and desktops. Not to hard to figure out, is it?
This is taking to long. The plan was to purchase the new Playbar, but with no certain support for WP8 I will instead purchase the JBL SB400 today, and continue to use my Squeezebox Duet (which works fine).
Even the support says: Please vote for it... Now 1289 Votes and 1 year later still no App... This is not professional sonos!
Maybe Teufel will be faster.....
o dear I just had my last post removed stating the following:

"This post contains an email sent with factually incorrect information."

The funny thing is that i posted an email sent from Sonos making excuses.

i have emailed Microsoft his comments as I believe that they try to apportion blame at their door. This may well be factually incorrect but I will post any reply I get from microsoft 
Come on! I have android and ios tablets, but my daily phone is on wp8 platform. Okay, there are some 3rd party SW around, but I would like to use official Sonos app in some day. I have also updated my laptops into Windows 8 and it would be great to use Windows RT Sonos application.
It's very bad to not have an App for Win 8. Do you know, that Win 8 is an OS too? 😞 Please release ist now. Thanks!
Badge +18
o dear I just had my last post removed stating the following:

"This post contains an email sent with factually incorrect information."

The funny thing is that i posted an email sent from Sonos making excuses.

i have emailed Microsoft his comments as I believe that they try to apportion blame at their door. This may well be factually incorrect but I will post any reply I get from microsoft 

Hi Gary,

I removed the post but I hope you received my reply in the thread beforehand.  You should've gotten an email from the system.  

If you didn't see the response, please accept my apologies for the email you received. We're following up on the matter internally and you should expect to hear from us shortly.  

The reason the post was pulled down from this thread was because the information conveyed to you was not factual (as you yourself noted), and I'm hoping to avoid further spread of misinformation.  I hope you understand.  

Thanks,

John
Wo bleibt das Sonos app für Windows 8?
The missing Windows Phone 8 App is the only reason why I haven't bought a Sonos sound system yet ... it is time to release it!