Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I cannot believe that a company like Sonos still does not support Windows Phone. Frustrating and annoying
@Cristophe,
I would also like to add that worldwide stats are a little misleading as it applies to Sonos. As Leo rightly said a huge amount of these are cheap Androids sold in the developing world that aren't much better than feature phones, Sonos, as a luxury brand, will not be pursuing the mass market in the Indian subcontinent or even the vast majority of the massive Chinese market.
Sonos' best markets will be mature industrialised ones, the West if you like. Kantar's figures are a better metric to be considering here. Will the US is still a tough nut for Microsoft a quick look at Kantar's numbers will show that Windows Phones market share is considerably higher than 2.7% in Western Europe. Nearer 15% in France and Italy and closer to 10% in the UK and Germany, we won't mention Spain... These are major markets for Sonos and they have the opportunity to cement brand loyalty among Windows Phone users here by being the first player in their field to support WP, I cannot emphasise enough how much goodwill that would gain them from WP users.
I have to say that the constant "will they, won't they?" is becoming incredibly tiresome. I think it's time for a definitive answer. Indeed I participated on a thread on this very subject here, the upshot of which was that John M of Sonos made some encouraging noises about engagement on this site. Unfortunate then that their number one request has not had an update for four months. 
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled windows mobile platform. Recently purchased 2 Play 1's for my holiday home only to fine that neither I nor my children or grandchildren can control them using our windows phones. We are all using windows ecosystem. Very disappointing. Back to the shop they go. How is it possible that you don't have a app for the windows mobile platform??!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I cannot believe that a company like Sonos still does not support Windows Phone. Frustrating and annoying
I was just trying to figure out Sonos' position; I'm not telling if it's right or wrong. And I agree about the communication; here I think they somehow trapped themselves with this site because they try to show up as listening to their customers but developing software is expensive and time consuming, so at the end they end up with lots of ideas suggested by fans but everything "under consideration" is at least 2 to 3 years old - and most of the recently implemented  features are new streaming services that are not developed by Sonos but the service provider.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Interesting interview with John MacFarlane at the Telegraph about why sonos will not support apple music directly: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/11671181/Sonos-CEO-We-would-embrace-Apple-Music.html So is this the reason why we do not get a Windows phone app!? Very objective... “We are big fans of Apple, so we would of course embrace them any time they want to come into the home, but I think that will be the next priority for them,” he said. “You have to earn Apple’s cooperation, they don’t just give it to you for free, but if there’s a delightful user experience and it makes a lot of sense, I think they do it, and there’s lots of examples of that. "
Maybe there is a typo in the article, it should be "if there’s a delightful user experience and it makes a lot of money" ...
It may also be that Apple is simply preparing the ground for their own hardware.
Are there any news concerning a Windows Phone App? We are waiting.................................
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully at end of month with release of Windows 10 we will hear something.
Lets hope windows 10 does bring good news! I have been using the 'phonos app', which does an excellent job in the short term but sonos should support windows! especially since they no longer make a dedicated controller!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully we will find out in 2 days.
Badge
Well Groove Music (Xbox Music) was added to Sonos today (7/29/15).  Now to just get a universal Windows 10 app and we will be all set.
Userlevel 2
Come on Sonos! My dell xps 13 (which folds into a tablet) is so lonely without a sonos app. Now that win10 is here, surely you can't wait any longer? Or are you inviting MS around the table soon for a takeover?
Userlevel 3
Badge
I have to question Sonos' motives regarding this topic. Not only has it now been buried in the home theatre section, surely controllers and software is more appropriate? Were this a minor thread I could possibly have believed that it had been migrated here in error but this was the number 1 idea on the old site and should have been the first one checked.
They have also stripped about the mechanism which allowed visitors to the community to see that this is the most requested feature. Where have the 2000 me toos gone? It all seems far to convenient that this ignored two year old thread has been sidelined in the move, too embarrassing for Sonos to have it stubbornly stuck at the top of the ideas list I think.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I've posted an updated thread with a call to action for a Windows 10 Store App controller. If this is of interest to you please vote in the poll to demonstrate the number of people interested in an easy-to-consume format for the product managers.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/windows-10-controller-6730901
Badge
I added my vote, for what it's worth. Unfortunately the Android app doesn't work correctly on Windows Phone 10 (Project Astoria...), it can't find any controller on the net 😞
Userlevel 2
Please do a universal app! We know that there is one in closed beta.
I have bought one Sonos to see if it was fine. Few weeks later my iphone was broken and I got a windows phone.
As, when I asked Sonos for a windows App, I got their stupid answer "...not comment on current or future development.." andI didn't buy any more Sonos equipment and really I think I will sell it on ebay and buy another stuff that will decently support several phones OS. 😠
Badge
I agree with the rest here, give us a Windows 10 (universal) app (or windows mobile app) or at least help the Phonos app to support Groove Music....
Userlevel 1
Badge
Layoff's at Sonos? I bet none of the Windows users are surprised. Everyone told Sonos what it needed to do to stay relevant but did they listen? How about an outdoor solution? How about waterproof? How about Windows 10 and mobile support? They're afraid of the Amazon Echo? Good luck turning the ship around.

And yes, I use Groove religiously. Playing across my phone, my pc, my tablet, and my Xbox One, and Sonos seamlessly... it's quite brilliant. At least Sonos got that right.
Userlevel 2
+1 for a Windows Phone 8 app and Surface RT
We have now 1265 votes for this threat and Sonos still give us no timeline since one year. How impertinent is this John?
Userlevel 1
Come on Sonos!

I run everything on Windows 8 and Windows Phone. I don't want to buy an iPad or Android tablet. You have had plenty of time to "take it under consideration", now give us more information on the likelyhood of apps for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone. When can we expect a more detailed response from you.

Please don't ask how we use our Windows Phone in the household. It is irrelevant and takes even more time. We just want the controller on our favorite platform, Windows 8,1 and Windows Phone

Thank you!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ahh condescending others the only bastion of a apple fan boy 😉
Userlevel 1
+1 for Surface RT app and WP8 app! Come on Sonos, you are a premium product, you should support premium platforms!
Userlevel 2
Today Your website says: "Control every room, from any Device"

Maybe it should say "Control every room, from most Devices."?

I have Sonos in 5 rooms + my garden, but I will not expand this further until you support RT and WP8... 

Please give us a hint!

Come on Sonos!

I run everything on Windows 8 and Windows Phone. I don't want to buy an iPad or Android tablet. You have had plenty of time to "take it under consideration", now give us more information on the likelyhood of apps for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone. When can we expect a more detailed response from you.

Please don't ask how we use our Windows Phone in the household. It is irrelevant and takes even more time. We just want the controller on our favorite platform, Windows 8,1 and Windows Phone

Thank you!

Agreed.  If you want to know how we want to use it, basically no different than how I used to use it on the iPad and iPhone.  This is not rocket science and honestly appears to be a stall tactic...

If you have to start with basic functionality, that is fine, but get something out there...  right now I have to remote desktop into a windows pc to make it work....
Ahh condescending others the only bastion of a apple fan boy ;-)
Accusing jgatie of being an Apple fanboy?! An unwise move. Excuse me while I don my radiation suit and retire to a safe distance....