Answered

Sonos S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

180 replies

Badge

FYI, I checked Roon with 24/48 and 24/96, it is down sampled to 16 bits, maybe Roon needs to make adjustments in a newer software release.

Yep, I noticed the same thing, and I’m hoping it’s just a roon update that’s needed. It sounds like people are seeing up to 24/48 but not 24/96+ through the Sonos app, so that’s a good sign (hopefully).

I made a test. I put in my local library a 24/48 file and was played without issues. I put a 24/96 file as well and was not even possible to see it as a file in Sonos. So, I will update my Sonos library to make all my files 24/48

Hi. I’m just wondering if I can update 2 of my S2 compatible speakers (Play 1’s) to S2 for use in a bedroom and keep my 2 Play 3’s on S1 to group with with my 2 gen 1 Play 5’s in a bigger room?

Although it’s moot because I’m not going to do it, I don’t think I successfully communicated my point of concern, which was that the product removal tool only provides the option to remove incompatible products to be reserved for S1, with the remaining 4 compatible speakers going to S2. What I was considering was keeping  2 of the compatible speakers in S1 with the Gen 1 Play 5’s, and moving the other 2 to S2.   But there doesn’t seem to be a way to do that.

Or am I missing something?                                                         

The removal tools just resets the legacy players to factory settings. There’s nothing to stop you doing a manual factory reset on some S2-compatible players in addition. Do this before updating them to S2.

You can then set them all up together as a separate S1 system.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That settles it for now then. If streaming services remain 16 bit I'll stay all on one system and use Bubble upnp with HEOS if I want to stream in Hires.  Cd  quality streaming does sound excellent on existing players so it would be an experimental bonus for me and not worth the hassle. If all my players were modern I would probably consider it.

FYI, I checked Roon with 24/48 and 24/96, it is down sampled to 16 bits, maybe Roon needs to make adjustments in a newer software release.

Yep, I noticed the same thing, and I’m hoping it’s just a roon update that’s needed. It sounds like people are seeing up to 24/48 but not 24/96+ through the Sonos app, so that’s a good sign (hopefully).

I made a test. I put in my local library a 24/48 file and was played without issues. I put a 24/96 file as well and was not even possible to see it as a file in Sonos. So, I will update my Sonos library to make all my files 24/48

Can you tell me how you update your Sonos library to make all yours files 24/48?

Almost there I think, got the S2 App and my Sonos devices are updating.

WARNING: disconnect your amp / active speakers when updating your Sonos Connect / Port. I got a very unwelcome glitch sound during the S2 system update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

And yes, it's local Sonos Playlists (the ones we have no proper way of backing up) that are lost.

… It would have been simpler to be able to move compatible speakers to S2, without affecting what remains behind as S1, for sure.

PS: and do people get warned of this, or does it pop up after the event as a nasty surprise? And does this occur even if the entire system is compatible with S2 and is being moved there?

I'm pretty sure that what what most were reasonable expecting.  Because it was all so secretive and Sonos didn't release the process until yesterday we didn't know how it was going to work.  In the many pages on the site there is mention of settings being lost - I'm not sure of how the warnings are worded when doing the process as I have not done it as I want to keep using my S1 speaker as I did beforehand.

It just seems bizarre to me that it needs a reset when it is already running the new S1 software and it couldn't have been split properly and kept ruining as it is now (new App/household, whatever..)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi. I’m happy and content staying with S1 so that I can use my 2 legacy 5’s with my 2 Play 3’s  and 2 play 1’s. When the 5’s become incompatible I’m ready to buy 2 Gen 3 Fives and move the whole thing up to S2. My only concern is that at that time everybody else with legacy 5’s will be doing the same thing, which may cause a run on new Fives and a waiting period to get them. For that reason it has crossed my mind to buy the new Fives now and beat the rush.

Any of you smart guys think that’s a legitimate concern or am I crazy?

As mentioned above had issues “updating” so uninstalled the controller app and then the download gave me the 12 version of the controller

https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads?language=en_US

Well, it's available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/sonos/id1488977981

And for Windows 10:

https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController120.exe

Haven't seen it for Android yet.

It just seems bizarre to me that it needs a reset when it is already running the new S1 software and it couldn't have been split properly and kept ruining as it is now (new App/household, whatever..)

The assumption is that users will want to move forward with S2, but they can if they want split off any S1-only units and set up a fresh system for those.

There’s nothing to stop a user doing it the other way round: manually factory reset a few S2-compatible units, make a new system of those, and update it to S2. 

Either way, a clean new system gets created, empty of playlists, service accounts, etc. It’s a question of which system is more important in terms of the retention of playlists etc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My Arc arrived today but in the absence of the S2 app being available I can’t do anything with it. 
My Sonos app updated to Sonos S1 Controller and then when trying to add the Arc it says I need the S2 app - but when I click the link it just takes me to the S1 Controller listing in the App Store. 

Same here

Userlevel 3
Badge

Well, it's available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/sonos/id1488977981

And for Windows 10:

https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController120.exe

Haven't seen it for Android yet.

Thank you for the iOS link!!!!! 
Now I’ve installed it and will proceed with the setup! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Did you already receive your Arc, Sonos Five, or Sub gen 3? Those are the only three devices that require S2 to operate.

Since it’s only 9PM June 7 in Sonos’ home office, I’m not surprised they haven’t yet released the new software. It would seem odd to drag everyone in to the office on a Sunday evening in order to satisfy users so close to the International Date Line. 

Odd as it may seem, they obviously dragged someone in because as indicated by others In this thread the Sonos S1 11.2 update has just appeared.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

works now! :-)

But both are just as important.  Just because I can no longer group the speakers post-S1, it seems reasonable to assume I'd still want to listen to the same things I used to when in the room the speaker is in.

I agree; one system needing a rebuilding of local playlists is a downer and it does not make sense to users to have to choose between systems for this information to be retained. And even if this is some strategy to discourage split systems, there should be clear warning of this tripwire before it explodes.

Other setting losses are probably not of great consequence - but many of my Sonos playlists have over 2000 tracks in them and I would not happy if I had to rebuild these. I would be even less happy if I discovered this after a wipe out.

Anybody has an external DAC digitally connected to his Connect or Port with a display to show the source quality?

Anybody has an external DAC digitally connected to his Connect or Port with a display to show the source quality?

It wouldn’t be particularly meaningful. ZP80/ZP90/Connect/Port digital output has always been 24-bit.

It wouldn’t be particularly meaningful. ZP80/ZP90/Connect/Port digital output has always been 24-bit.

True. So we can only know if anything happened by analyzing the signal, right? I remember some graphs on this forum with not all the bits filled if I’m not mistaken. 

True. So we can only know if anything happened by analyzing the signal, right? I remember some graphs on this forum with not all the bits filled if I’m not mistaken. 

You’d have to capture the digital output in Fixed Volume and examine the lowest byte to see if it’s non-zero when playing a 24-bit source.

Installing S2 with Android (S2 not available yet in Google Play store):

1. install windows version of S2 software
  2. Upgrade speakers to S2 in with Windows software
  3. Start S1 app on Android
  4. Answer question in Android app that you want to upgrade to S2
  5. S2 version will be installed from App store

Worked for me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Yep, all upgraded now - no sign of the app for Mac OS yet, but done to iPhone/ipad

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

For anyone who has upgraded their system (and speakers) to S2, what now appears in the S1 app (for speakers that are S1 & S2 compatible?  If they aren't there, is there a way to add them back?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks.  If you do a factory reset on an S1/S2 compatible speaker can it be added to the S1 setup?

Were you given any warning on changing from S1 to S2 that speakers wouldn't be available in S1 and anything about ‘splitting’?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

you can setup your own groups now, so for example all downstairs speakers, or all upstairs speakers etc, 

I’ve successfully completed the S2 upgrade to my system - have the S2 logo on my iPad desktop right along side the S1 controller icon - how do i safely remove the S1 controller icon from my desktop thereby only leaving the S2 logo icon?