Answered

Sonos S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

180 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I understand the splitting of S1 and S2 systems. I also understand that restoring a system to Factory settings does not restore the OS to as it was when it left the factory.

That does not answer how Sonos have chosen to deal with speakers that are compatible with both OS's - we are in a different world now with two separate software streams - I don't think viewing S2 as an upgrade is necessarily right - it's a different OS and technically I imagine it could be made that when you add a new device to S1 it could install whatever it wants - these devices have more space than previous ones and could make use of this space.  If they don't that is a conscious decision, not a technical one.

Sonos have rolled out an new OS but don't appear to be in hand to answer these questions - and have chosen not to answer them over the last weeks too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Is this update out? My iOS app updated to Sonos S1 and it updated my speakers to what looks to be S1 OS. I have a Playbar, Sub (Gen2), and two Sonos Ones as surrounds so everything should be able to update.

BTW, I don’t see the S2 app in the Apple App store.

Badge

I'm in the UK and have just updated to S2. I navigated to it via the Sonos compatibility checker as it didn't show up via Check for Updates.

Badge

FYI, I checked Roon with 24/48 and 24/96, it is down sampled to 16 bits, maybe Roon needs to make adjustments in a newer software release.

Yep, I noticed the same thing, and I’m hoping it’s just a roon update that’s needed. It sounds like people are seeing up to 24/48 but not 24/96+ through the Sonos app, so that’s a good sign (hopefully).

I made a test. I put in my local library a 24/48 file and was played without issues. I put a 24/96 file as well and was not even possible to see it as a file in Sonos. So, I will update my Sonos library to make all my files 24/48

Can you tell me how you update your Sonos library to make all yours files 24/48?

Manually with dBpoweramp Music Converter for Mac. To be honest, I have few hi res music, so it was not a big issue for me. I have a raspberry pi 4 with Samba for Sonos, only with music that can be played with Sonos, and a NUC with all hi res music for Roon. Hope that works

Besides PCs, how many consumer electronics devices do you know that can run two full OS' simultaneously?

Without knowing all of the technical details, how can you possibly say this could be feasible on Sonos hardware? It is not just about available memory or storage.

To me, it has always been crystal clear that a device would run either S1 or S2 and be accessible in the corresponding app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm in UK and have play 5's 1st and 2nd gen and  I am using android.  I have updated but it still says S1.  

How do I update to s2?  

Split S1 - S2.

Did anyone try to upgrade part of the speakers while keeping the ones to be retained in S1 unplugged from power?

Maybe in that case after upgrade powering them up again allows them to keep the settings and playlists….

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am not suggesting it can run both.  Definitely not.  It wil only be visible in one of them. I just want to know if having a speaker on S2 means it can never then be used back in your S1 system.

How Sonos dealt with this in the past is not necessarily the same - I don't see switching as an upgrade/downgrade scenario - just moving a speaker that is compatible with both OS's between them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Does the S1 app still work on Android 6 controllers? I believe the S2 does not? Can any verify if this is correct?

I too was impatient.I had to first update the S1 app Then i was prompted to download S2 only took a couple of minutes. All my speakers were on at the time the app just closed them down while the new app installed. I think like a lot of people i was expecting something magical (after all the hype over the last few months) I am not sure if i can hear any difference in the sound. At first when it came back on i thought i could hear a slightly fuller sound, but probably ears playing tricks. I would like to hear from anyone who has found any difference in the sound quality. But at least now we can all calm down for a couple of years or until S3 hits us

Split S1 - S2.

Did anyone try to upgrade part of the speakers while keeping the ones to be retained in S1 unplugged from power?

Maybe in that case after upgrade powering them up again allows them to keep the settings and playlists….

This doesn’t work. You end up with an S1 controller that complains that the S2 units are “incompatible”, and an S2 controller that complains that the S1 units “need update”.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Yeah, only seems like the improved speaker groups is the only difference at launch. 

Is their no S2 for Android yet? I’ve updated to S1 and updated players but no option to update to S2

Yes there is.  There are notes on how to trigger it earlier in this thread

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Is their no S2 for Android yet? I’ve updated to S1 and updated players but no option to update to S2

I was able to get my Samsung tablet updated.   I had to log into Sonos first From the app

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@ratty, you know more about this than many/all.  I do think most who were aware of the forthcoming split (but maybe not part of a beta where it may have been known) were expecting to be left with a set of speakers on S1 and a set on S2, both controlled by a separate App but behaving as they previously did - but no longer able to be grouped.

How could Sonos have achieved this?

I am on Android after downloading S1 update i then went back in to settings then tapped the “check for updates” Again and there was the prompt for the new S2 good luck hope all goes well

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes there is.  There are notes on how to trigger it earlier in this thread

It doesn't work.  Once speakers updated still no option for s2

I expect the Sonos response to be that 95 percent of the user base does not use NAS anymore, and of the diminishing by the day percentage of those that do, a very small number will be interested in split systems. Of which an even smaller number will have large playlists. And are therefore not worth the trouble.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Found it, on Android you need to go to System > System Tools, not System Update. There’s an option there to check compatibilty

I agree with @Kumar that a run on Fives at some future point is not worth worrying about.

The only thing i would add is that, IMO, the gen 2 Play:5 was/is a vast improvement on the gen 1 (and by all accounts the Five is similar acoustically to the gen 2).  If the budget is there, i would consider getting them now and enjoying them.  If you order from Sonos and don’t share my view on the difference in audio quality, you could return them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks.  If you do a factory reset on an S1/S2 compatible speaker can it be added to the S1 setup?

Were you given any warning on changing from S1 to S2 that speakers wouldn't be available in S1 and anything about ‘splitting’?

The need to split systems and that S2 units are not visible on S1 and vice versa has been discussed on these forums extensively.

And no, a factory reset does not rollback software updates.

If an S1/S2 compatible unit is at S2, it can be factory reset and added back to an S1 system. It will ‘update’ back to S1.

Many thanks for the confirmation ratty. That is exactly what I was hoping for but repeatedly told it would not be the case.

Can you confirm you have done this as somebody did suggest Sonos told them in a chat that it would not do that. I was awaiting an official Sonos response but if you have actually done it that is good enough for me and I can now update my system to S2 without worrying about tying down my Play 5 Gen 2's.

It appears that Sonos’ definition of “hi res” is 24 bit - I can now play 24 bit files as long as the sample rate is no higher than 48Khz.  

Previously, the limit was stated as 16 bit ( https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79?language=en_US ), so I can see Sonos claiming to have provided “hi res audio” via the increased bit depth.

I’ve also played files at a higher bitrate (about 1,800kbps) than the 1,536 in the article.  And, to be honest I didn’t check last week that the same files weren’t playing on S1 anyway

It’s a shame that I’m going to have to recode hundreds of tracks that are currently at a higher sample rate, but I don’t see that getting addressed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I expect the Sonos response to be that 95 percent of the user base does not use NAS anymore, and of the diminishing by the day percentage of those that do, a very small number will be interested in split systems. Of which an even smaller number will have large playlists. And are therefore not worth the trouble.

What ‘trouble’ though?  It’s extra work for the users to attempt to get their system back where it was.  I’m trying to understand if it’s ‘technical’ or just a decision they’ve made.  Sonos playlists can have content from sources from more than just a NAS - mine include tracks from other sources, including Spotify, too.

My thoughts are slightly different and to take the current trade-up offer of 30% and use the vouchers to buy the new Play 5 (gen 3’s) and also sell on the Play 5 (gen 1’s) as they are still a sought after device by some. That way, your overall outlay should be less now, than it maybe further down the line. The trade-up offer is probably not going to be around forever.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Lord knows what’s happening.

PC app updates to S1. Lose 1 of 2 paired Play3s, Which has now come back but the room on the updated S1 has disappeared.

Trying to update a Fire app. Says i need to pair one of the Play3s in the lost on pc room, need to update app on Fire, but then won’t let me me. Room (which is playing) has disappeared as well.

2nd Fire app wont update. None give me access to add room.