Answered

Sonos S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

180 replies

Created a second Sonos account to use the S1 controller and setup that. To be safe put the S1 system on a second Wifi SSID. It is a shame you can’t use the same account on S1 and S2 but other than that can’t really complain.

You can use the same account. Also, you don’t need to use a different SSID.

In a split scenario the S1 and S2 systems have different HouseholdIDs. 

When i tried to setup a new system in the S1 app it would not let me as the account was the same. I didn’t say the SSID was necessary, just felt as I could I would.

If you’d reset the S1 app and the desired players it would have let you create a new system.

Note that it looks like it's not just splitting your system and having them function as before but as two separate systems.

The ones that stay on S1 actually get reset and you lose access to all playlists etc. you may have created over the years.

Is the second part the reason for stating the first part? Any other way that splitting is more than just splitting, leaving the S1 playing as it has all these years?

And the second part can’t be nice - though I assume that this applies to local NAS playlists and not, for example, those made in Apple Music?

I think I’m better off just leaving the whole thing on S1 for as long as the legacy 5’s stay functional.

Quite.

Or until there comes something in S2 that is incentive enough for you to dump the legacy kit. Running split systems in one home will get tiresome very quickly in most use cases.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If I have a system I am happy with and want to create a new separate S2 system, the instructions seem to suggest the S1 components will all be factory reset - which really means I lose all of the Playlists etc. I've used on that system for years? Surely splitting off doesn't necessitate losing everything on the older devices? I don't mind resetting one device as there will still be another with the settings etc.

There.must be a process of creating an S2 system without completely trashing your S1 side????  Switching S1 products off while doing the change to S2?

If I have a system I am happy with and want to create a new separate S2 system, the instructions seem to suggest the S1 components will all be factory reset - which really means I lose all of the Playlists etc. I've used on that system for years? Surely splitting off doesn't necessitate losing everything on the older devices? I don't mind resetting one device as there will still be another with the settings etc.

There.must be a process of creating an S2 system without completely trashing your S1 side????  Switching S1 products off while doing the change to S2?

No. One or other group of players needs to be reset, in order to create a new system. The way the article has been written it’s assumed the S1 units will be reset, either using the removal tool or manually.

Switching off S1 products during the S2 update will just leave some incompatible either way. The S2 controller will want to update the S1 units (if it can) and the S1 controller will want to downgrade the S2 units (if it can).