patch 14.12

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am getting really fed up with this,  I've called loads of times and just get fobbed off and its a complete joke.

In most rooms, I’ve perceived little to no improvement, and in fact often leave TruePlay off. I do pay attention to speaker placement, and it does help when there’s not an ideal placement available. But to say that Android users are getting ¾ the experience seems to be a bit much from my perspective. I truly believe that if Sonos felt is was a “requirement” to get their speakers sounding perfectly, they’d have created a device, as suggested. The fact that they haven’t leads me to the supposition that it’s merely an “add on” without significant enough value to rate that kind of treatment. It’s nifty, when it works, but I also don’t believe that when it’s not there, you’re getting less. 

I do believe there’s mostly value in the other “self” tuning that Sonos does for individual speakers, but the fact that Sonos have not created a way for non-iOS users to achieve TruePlay is indicative to me that it’s not “all that and a bag of chips” . I do think people’s perception of the value there is overblown. 

While I get what you’re coming from, and would agree that some rooms will get a better benefit that others, I’d say it adds significant value.  For one thing, Sonos does seem to require a significant amount of testing and develop whenever a new iOS device is on the market.  If trueplay wasn’t that effective, I would expect that enabling on new devices would be rather quick.  I’d also expect that they would give autotrueplay on some non-portable devices, if there was little difference between trueplay and auto trueplay.

As far as not having their own mic device for android users, I think it may just be that the market is too small for that.   If you have one or two Sonos speakers, do you want to pay $50 (or whatever) for the extra tuning?  If you have a whole home system, it makes some sense, but then you have a device you theoretically no longer need.  Do you go ahead and sell it, which then means a smaller market for Sonos to sell these new? And of course, if you are pro installer, you only need one. 

Userlevel 2

In most rooms, I’ve perceived little to no improvement, and in fact often leave TruePlay off. I do pay attention to speaker placement, and it does help when there’s not an ideal placement available. But to say that Android users are getting ¾ the experience seems to be a bit much from my perspective. I truly believe that if Sonos felt is was a “requirement” to get their speakers sounding perfectly, they’d have created a device, as suggested. The fact that they haven’t leads me to the supposition that it’s merely an “add on” without significant enough value to rate that kind of treatment. It’s nifty, when it works, but I also don’t believe that when it’s not there, you’re getting less. 

I do believe there’s mostly value in the other “self” tuning that Sonos does for individual speakers, but the fact that Sonos have not created a way for non-iOS users to achieve TruePlay is indicative to me that it’s not “all that and a bag of chips” . I do think people’s perception of the value there is overblown. 

While I get what you’re coming from, and would agree that some rooms will get a better benefit that others, I’d say it adds significant value.  For one thing, Sonos does seem to require a significant amount of testing and develop whenever a new iOS device is on the market.  If trueplay wasn’t that effective, I would expect that enabling on new devices would be rather quick.  I’d also expect that they would give autotrueplay on some non-portable devices, if there was little difference between trueplay and auto trueplay.

As far as not having their own mic device for android users, I think it may just be that the market is too small for that.   If you have one or two Sonos speakers, do you want to pay $50 (or whatever) for the extra tuning?  If you have a whole home system, it makes some sense, but then you have a device you theoretically no longer need.  Do you go ahead and sell it, which then means a smaller market for Sonos to sell these new? And of course, if you are pro installer, you only need one. 

I agree with aspects of what you are both saying here. However, I am an android phone user, but I have the newest ipad pro 12.9”, so neither of these devices will allow me to run trueplay. 

I had to buy an ipod touch off of ebay earlier this year just to run trueplay. Last night I updated my Arc and fired up the ipod touch that’s only used for trueplay. It can’t be updated to the latest version of IOS and therefore the sonos app, so I can’t run trueplay in my living room any more - even though I have an old IOS device and a new one.

This is really frustrating, and I would gladly pay for a device which allows me to run trueplay and doesn’t end up unsupported due to software updates at some point. Now I have to borrow someone’s iphone, which is a real annoyance and doesn’t allow me to re-run the trueplay routine when needed without hassling someone for a phone.

And it’s not as if I don’t have an IOS device. I have 2. It’s kind of BS on top of the sonos tax we’re all already willingly paying. That’s my .02  (:

This is really frustrating, and I would gladly pay for a device which allows me to run trueplay and doesn’t end up unsupported due to software updates at some point. Now I have to borrow someone’s iphone, which is a real annoyance and doesn’t allow me to re-run the trueplay routine when needed without hassling someone for a phone.

How much would you pay for a trueplay only mic device?  $50?  $100?  $200?

Worth noting I think that Trueplay isn’t just about the mic.  After you record the sample audio, your iOS device is processing the data.  Can that same processing be done on an android? Or is part of the processing relying on iOS code that intefaces and manages the iOS mic?  I don’t know, I’m just speculating at the possiblity that a device for trueplay may require some computing power in the hardware and just a mic with known characteristics.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It's not just the ARC driven systems the, it's all the S2 systems?.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Brad Porter tip for you turn off truplay and setup manually it helps but doesn't fix it 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I used to enjoy listening to movies volume set at 15 ,now I would have to out it up 30 to get the same level of sound, talk about a noise reduction.

I must renew the trueplay and the volume is very lower than before. Also the sub not the same bass like before. What’s up Sonos? Please role back soon!!!!

There is wide disagreement with respect to ‘enough’ bass. You can adjust the SUB level at Settings → System → [ARC] → Sub Audio.

Only you know what sounds “best”.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

My Trueplay has vanished altogether. Not even greyed out, just completely gone as an option. I have the arc, sub and 2 ones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

May or may not be patch related as I had to replace my too-old Touch with an iPad at the same time.

I’m having a really hard getting TruePlay to work in my 5 foot by 6 foot bathroom.

I have a Beam in there, it was a spare and sits nearly invisibility on a cabinet gaining much spousal approval, so it isn’t as dumb as it sounds. Much less visually obvious than my other options, a Pair of 3s or Play 1s. Sounds great too.

Anyway with the new iPad 8th gen I keep getting “not covering the room” errors even though I carefully place it a couple inches off the four walls as part of my sweeps. If I take it into the tub and sweep in there it seems to get past the room-size issue and allow the tuning. That adds about 2 feet to the 6 foot dimension of the room.

Userlevel 2
Badge

As I see it, the recent Peter Pee video was about just the arc without the sub. And I think the arc itself does sound better stand alone. My subs sound anemic however, and sonos should really hurry and fix this because I am seriously looking at selling it al and going for the Sony system if this takes as long as the 14.6 debacle.

Why not try running TruePlay, and when you get the error, submit a diagnostic and call Sonos to see what might be done, or at the very least, provide them hard data of an issue with the release?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not a bad idea, I was too gimpy after doing the rest of the house to even think about it then. I’d just post the number here though, I hate using the phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi All,

I just factory reset everything, just to see for myself. 

Even before TruePlay, the volume needs to increased significantly to get the same output as before 14.12. Also, the soundstage seems to somewhat less dramatic - almost like a collection of different speakers with different timbres making a noise, rather than a cohesive sound. TruePlay does not help at all. I am staggered that this has got out of the lab.

I guess my question here is if anyone actually HAS upgraded and experiencing no problems at all?

Thanks

Brad

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I agree. 

But it makes no sense. Why reduce the output power and overall quality to fix dialogue clarity?!

You got me buddy makes no sense 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Peter Pee’s latest video is a good watch, his advice does make it slightly better. His 3 tips are-

Increase volume by about 10-15 steps, from where you normally would have had it

Reduce bass by 2 or 3 notches from where you used to have it pre 14.12

Increase treble 1 maybe 2 notches

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Brad Porter yes very sad I loved my system but cannot go back to wires I am looking at the lg s95 or Samsung 990b but living in hope it gets fixed 

I have rang with multiple diagnostics and all my observations to support and remain vocal on here I can only live in hope 👍

Be careful. I returned my Sonos system after the last update problem and went for the Samsung. Don’t get me wrong, sounds great, the immersion is stunning, better than the Arc, but sub and rear disconnects everywhere. It would turn itself on and off randomly, optical didn’t work, and I had to fight like crazy to get a refund.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Brad Porter 

Just turned truplay on and messed around with the settings -4 on bass  and treble +6 on sub seems better but the sound is much thinner if that makes sense 

Also the front soundstage seems narrow not as wide much more central 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Peter Pee’s latest video is a good watch, his advice does make it better. His 3 tips are-

Increase volume by about 10-15 steps, from where you normally would have had it

Reduce bass by 2 or 3 notches from where you used to have it pre 14.12

Increase treble 1 maybe 2 notches

Tried his advice made me wince 😜

Please elaborate😉

I have mine at -2 bass, +1 treble, -2 sub level, loudness off.

I was running a flat EQ prior to 14.12, always had loudness off as don’t like the extra boomy effect it gave at low volumes. I also used to have sub level at -4, but increased that to -2.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have a question if someone can confirm this please?

Before 14.12 I had auto update disabled in the app, as I wasn't planning on updating, my iPhone auto updated the sonos app, which greyed/cleared a few things out such as trueplay and remove/add sub.

I reluctantly updated the system to 14.12 due to this, did it early before posts like this were created, so would have held off!

Anyway does updating the sonos app normally grey settings out like it did this time?

Unsure if in future I should also disable auto updating the sonos app, but then that will be a pain for all my other apps that auto update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

For those who are experiencing the significantly lower volume levels, I’m curious to know what your setup is. What model TV is the Arc connected to? What media devices are you using? Is the lower volume with both TV and music audio?

I have an lgb8 tv and panasonic 820 bluray plus apple tv 4k the issue is on all sources connected even my xbox series x when gaming 

Edit:

Just tried my fire tv cube as well it's the same

Cannot comment on music as i rarely use my arc but I tried music with the same settings as i watch movies and TV and it's the same level 

for music playback I use 2 5's and sub for that which are unaffected 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have bought Sonos (Arc and sub gen 3) because of impressive low bass I love. Now after update I am sure I could bought anything else than Sonos. I heard two versions of Dolby Atmos demo on Peter YouTube channel and I know previous FW version was better for me. This update did hurt my Sonos experience and I will be sad but it will go away if they will not fix it.

They will do something, just give it time, as annoying as it is.

There was the issue with surround/sub disconnects recently, it got fixed. As much as they like to be silent, they sure are aware and will be looking into this recent update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just had an email stating my case will be closed if I don't reply in 24 hours, I replied but I am not hopeful they are looking to fix these issues 

I will wait for the next patch but if they keep these awful settings I will move on such a shame...

I turned off auto updates a long time ago for reasons like this. However, when I opened my app yesterday I recieved the pop up notification to retune my Arc because “Trueplay was reset during a recent update. I am still on version 14.8. My question is when I set up true play again will I see the affects of the 14.12 update? Im not sure why I received the message and my true play was reset if im not even on 14.12.

Userlevel 3
Badge

For those who are experiencing the significantly lower volume levels, I’m curious to know what your setup is. What model TV is the Arc connected to? What media devices are you using? Is the lower volume with both TV and music audio?

Apple TV and LG CX. Everything is way, way quieter and muddled. No bass. It is so bad.