patch 14.12

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

All gone a bit quite, anyone know any news on a fix for the issues introduced in 14.12.

I currently have trueplay disabled as advised by Sonos, so going on close to 3 weeks I feel like Im not getting the best from my sonos arc and sub due to this.

Every time they break something it seems like we have to wait ages.

Have you subsequently submitted a diagnostic, and contacted Sonos?

Badge +1

I noticed the volume needed to be turned up slightly higher as others have mentioned, but the audio clarity all around is better for me. I did do the tuning again with Trueplay and it does sound better than it did before. Having the Beam Gen 2 before the Arc, the Arc’s dialogue clarity didn’t seem as good, but now post-update, after watching a few episodes of a show with Dolby Digital 5.1 format. I noticed a difference all around and definitely the voices compared to pre-update with the same show. My setup is Arc + Sub Gen 3. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I posted in another post but I am also experiencing the same thing. Did TruePlay all over again since the update dropped it. Did not help. Seems like center channel volume has decreased which affected the overall volume. I submitted a diagnostic report as well. Did not call though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m also using one and experience lower volume levels. The sound overall is still good though, I don’t have any issues with my Sub levels etc. but I’m also not using Trueplay. Maybe that’s the difference. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have an Arc, Sub gen 3, and Play 1 surround setup. I have noticed that if I toggle the Trueplay off, then the sub seems to come back a lot better. Not as good overall sound as pre-update, but right now my system with Trueplay off sounds a lot better than Trueplay on, particularly in the bass. I can barely tell the Sub is even there with Trueplay on.

The sub doesn’t hit as hard with this update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Airgetlam
i already have called support and provided all information and diagnostic data I was asked for and all my observations 

Which is appreciated, I suspect, and why I put “as some have done” , but there are others who don’t have appeared to have done so. 

The engineers I work with appreciate more hard data, from multiple sources, and react poorly to “someone said something on a forum”. Makes it hard for them to track down an issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have a question if someone can confirm this please?

Before 14.12 I had auto update disabled in the app, as I wasn't planning on updating, my iPhone auto updated the sonos app, which greyed/cleared a few things out such as trueplay and remove/add sub.

I reluctantly updated the system to 14.12 due to this, did it early before posts like this were created, so would have held off!

Anyway does updating the sonos app normally grey settings out like it did this time?

Unsure if in future I should also disable auto updating the sonos app, but then that will be a pain for all my other apps that auto update.

Yes.. my phone app was automatically updated( why I don’t know) and the true play option was faded out . However the speakers were still at 14.10 and Sonos was advising me thru notices that my system needed an update. Some had issues, some not so it was a toss up. I decided to update and regret. Volume is not there nor bass as it was. Hopefully, SONOS does something about these issues. Don’t update!

I wonder if there is an option on iPhone to individually stop certain apps getting updates.

Userlevel 1

New update just release Ver.14.14 🤞🏻

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Where can you find any release notes?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Hmmmm. Sadly does not say very much.

Hi, from Spain (europe)

Buy Sonos Arc and 2 Sonos Five, after a short time very low audio fail after firmware installation :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Presumably only fixes the Arc etc. + sub trueplay issue then.

I wish they offered a roll back to the previous version, but that doesn't seem their MO. I much preferred the sound profile before 14.12; it now has a more narrow, hollow sound to me - the vocals are too present. It's less rich sounding than before. Shame.

Have you updated yet?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Not yet, might wait for a Peter Pee review first 😄

I am doing it now. In for a penny, in for a pound. 😀

I will update on this forum once complete. 

Let me know, I will be doing the same in about 3 hours time. Also would be interested to know if I will have to borrow an iphone again to do TruePlay.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My home theater setup: Arc, Sub Gen 3, (2) One SLs. I loved my system before the 14.12 update. After the update, my Sub output was drastically reduced. I would liken it to someone turning the gain 70% down on a car audio subwoofer amplifier. Or potentially, hooking a sub up to an amp with a high-pass crossover turned on preventing the sub from being able to perform in the sound frequency range it was designed to.

Here is what I did to attempt to rectify the issue: 

Removed sub from home theater group, disconnected sub and reset it, ran trueplay multiple times, adjusted manual sub audio and bass equalizer settings (all the way up), also tested with and without trueplay tuning. For reference, pre update my home theater group equalizer settings were: Bass +3 and Sub Audio +3.

In the end, my sub output is still a fraction of what it was before this update (even with bass and sub audio levels all the way up. Bass +10 & Sub Audio +15).

Userlevel 2

Someone mentions this might be a gen 3 sub issue. Been noticing that affected users seem to be on Gen 3 rather than 2? Might be worth confirming. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Test post as my last disappeared 

This 14.12 update ruined my system! I’ve spent a lot of money because I love sonos products but everything is significantly lowered now during music and movies since this update. It turned my bass down to almost nothing, the bass isn’t what it used to be. Please Sonos fix these issues!

You do know you can manually tune the Sub and surround levels, right?

Userlevel 7

Someone mentions this might be a gen 3 sub issue. Been noticing that affected users seem to be on Gen 3 rather than 2? Might be worth confirming. 

I have a Sub Gen 3 and it sounds just as good as it did before the update. If anything, it sounds less boomy than it did before which is a good thing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Another video by Pete

Peter Pee’s latest video has left me wondering if the Sub issue that a few users have mentioned in their posts in the community here is ‘perhaps’ more closely related to a Trueplay issue, rather than the dialogue-clarity changes in the 14.12 software update.

I did notice the Arc volume reduction in that update, which I still think might have been a change to the volume-curve, rather than an overall reduction in volume.

Anyhow the volume difference was quickly resolved in my case by increasing the volume slider for the Arc by around 10% (approx.) from level 30 to 40, but I’ve not experienced the Sub problem, but then again I’m not currently using Truplay on the Arc setup here.

So you don’t have your volume to the max in settings? Why wouldn’t you out of curiosity?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter its still awful for me I retuned truplay and still no bass 
I have gone back to manual settings -8 treble so I can at least use it and it's the same on my 5's and sub if they had sounded like this day 1 I would have returned them😩
One more bad update like this I am done 

For me, there seems to be some difference in the recent update - but I need to listen over a period of time to fully understand it. I am certainly not upping my bass manually or turning my treble down to -8. But the presence of the bass still seems to be somewhat less present than prior to 14.12. (I have two subs and they literally used to sound like a cinema - now it sounds blended and balanced into the overall sound). 

It would be great to hear from Sonons in regards to whether this update actually addresses the bass issue people have raised as an issue since 14.12. Just so we have some visibility of what sits under performance enhancements.

There is a fair chance that we are now facing a sound signature change which is unlikely to change anytime soon. I can only suggest to Sonos that they consider a ‘Home Cinema’ toggle so people (if they choose to do so) can get a sound signature closer to prior to 14.12.

Ill listen to a few movies over the next few days and report back what I feel. As mentioned, I really have only played with it for about 30 mins. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Presumably only fixes the Arc etc. + sub trueplay issue then.

I wish they offered a roll back to the previous version, but that doesn't seem their MO. I much preferred the sound profile before 14.12; it now has a more narrow, hollow sound to me - the vocals are too present. It's less rich sounding than before. Shame.

Have you updated yet?

Not yet, might wait for a Peter Pee review first 😄

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

What happened to the Sonos response that I thought was posted on page 1?