patch 14.12

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 7

The overall volume of my entire system has decreased  significantly. I am running an ARC with 2 Subs and Play 1s for the rear. Can literally have the volume pegged at 100% and have a conversation with the person in the room next to me. Truplay or not same scenario. I am literally ready to dump the entire setup on Ebay or Marketplace and purchase something different.

Where did you keep the volume at before the update? How large is your room?

If I have my Arc/Sub/Play:1s system set to 35, it’s too loud in a 19 x 13 foot room.

The overall volume of my entire system has decreased  significantly. I am running an ARC with 2 Subs and Play 1s for the rear. Can literally have the volume pegged at 100% and have a conversation with the person in the room next to me. Truplay or not same scenario. I am literally ready to dump the entire setup on Ebay or Marketplace and purchase something different.

If I have my Arc/Sub/Play:1s system set to 35, it’s too loud in a 19 x 13 foot room.

Yes, if I set my Arc/Sub/Fives system to volume 40, then it’s becoming too loud for our 22’ x 13’ lounge… 100% volume is rather a lot, but I did notice @ravekid75’s online profile device-list mentions that they have the older Sonos Playbar ? I don’t see any mention of the Arc? …just an oversight, I presume🤔?

Badge +1

Yes, if I set my Arc/Sub/Fives system to volume 40, then it’s becoming too loud for our 22’ x 13’ lounge… 100% volume is rather a lot, but I did notice @ravekid75’s online profile device-list mentions that they have the older Sonos Playbar ? I don’t see any mention of the Arc? …just an oversight, I presume🤔?

I have not been on here in quite some time and updated my profile. Currently have an ARC

Userlevel 2
Badge

So, it's just a fix for the volume issues then?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Why they don't just load  14.10.    No one complaint about that one.   Thats how you buy the syteem and was teste on

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Just updating mine…………….

Hope I don’t need to re-do Trueplay!

I have not been on here in quite some time and updated my profile. Currently have an ARC

You perhaps may have not saved your changes - it is still showing as a Playbar, FYI.

Same thing here : Trueplay had to be redone for my Arc + 2xSubs + Surrounds

no need to redone Trueplay with my others speakers (beam gen2 + sub + surrounds and other One in different rooms)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

My Trueplay has remained but I don’t have an Arc. Just a Beam (sub and surrounds), a Playbase, 2 ones and 2 Fives. All have retained their Trueplay

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am getting really fed up with this,  I've called loads of times and just get fobbed off and its a complete joke.

Yeah this is really getting ridiculous. It has been two months or so. My sub is a very expensive side table now. Very disappointing. How hard can a fix be.. I mean really..

Slightly annoying, since I don’t have an iOS device handy and don’t have issues with the Arc audio quality.  But ok.

Would be nice if whatever changes are applied automatically if you aren’t currently trueplay tuned, otherwise will be applied after trueplay tuning is redone.

Would be nice if whatever changes are applied automatically if you aren’t currently trueplay tuned, otherwise will be applied after trueplay tuning is redone.

I imagine the DSP got entirely reprogrammed.

I can play easy music on max now and don’t even sound that loud.  

Nice when you have a party and your sonos cant even get that loud. Its a joke this update 

Is this the Playbar, as listed in your online profile, or are you referring to the overall volume of the Sonos Arc, which Sonos did mention had not changed - it was the volume curve that got adjusted and not it’s overall volume, by all accounts.

Not very many here complaining about it’s ‘overall’ volume-level, but if you are finding that is the case, then you may have an issue with your Sonos product, so I would perhaps submit a Sonos diagnostic report from the ‘Settings/Support’ area of the Sonos App. Make a note of the reference generated.

Then, when available, contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff about the matter via this LINK and see what they can suggest to help you to resolve the matter.

I imagine the DSP got entirely reprogrammed.

Well, it would be nice...

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Whilst I don’t own any Sonos Soundbars, I do keep an eye on things because it’s something I would like to add in the future.

I’ve watched various videos on YouTube about these issues and the latest one I’ve watched is by a UK retailer who sell Sonos products (Smart Home Sounds). Reading the comments for the video, it would seem that some people actually prefer the more forward vocals from the centre channel and a lot of others hate it. 

This seems to be a clear case of needing some kind of settings in the app in my opinion. Either have just one option to set to true if you do want a more forwards vocal presentation or, more preferably, have a few different options which are labelled as Forward Vocals, More Bass, More Surround as examples. So basically these would be presets that the user can select at any time. 

Having presets would surely make more sense because that would then allow the user to change the profile at any time to suit the film they are watching or to suit the time of day etc.

I can fully understand why the volume curves were altered because I’ve seen a lot of comments for all speakers where people have said it’s difficult to make slight volume changes at lower levels.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

When i posted there were no release notes, the main thing I  have noticed is before my do not disturb the neighbours level was 15 it is now 30 

Not  a big deal really but in movie blow my mind it was 35 max I would use, I will have to wait for the weekend for a full test

Guessing that I will be passing over 50% volume for the first time 

What a wonderful update...sssshhhh sound with vocals is finally not causing discomfort to ears..do not mind in increasing volume level...Sound profile finally pleasant to hear...this update is too late and Arc should have been launched like this i.e with this fundamental good sound signature.. .now Sonos can easily  find tune for more perfection on top of this wonderful update

In my mind and experience, it’s more of a marketing gimmick, if you’ve positioned  your speakers well, it doesn’t make a difference. If you’ve never run TruePlay, you’re now getting more without needing to run it. 

Sony systems can calibrate via built in microphones, the Ones and the Arc have them as well so surely they can True Play from their own hardware?.

There is a difference between Sonos trueplay tuning and what Sony and other companies do for tuning.  I don’t know the details and how much it makes a difference between the different methods.

Sonos does have their ‘auto trueplay’ on the Move and Roam, which does use the voice assistant mics for tuning.  This is surely not of the same quality as full trueplay though, otherwise it would be implemented elsewhere.  Still, I’d love to see it as an option for those who can’t do full trueplay.

In my mind and experience, it’s more of a marketing gimmick, if you’ve positioned  your speakers well, it doesn’t make a difference. If you’ve never run TruePlay, you’re now getting more without needing to run it. 

You’re saying trueplay is a marketing gimmick, or other tuning?  For trueplay, I can’t fully say I’ve done any real testing with it to say their is a significant difference.  Auto trueplay on the other hand, is much easier to test and definitely makes a difference.  Just relocate your Move to a new location temporarily and you can hear the improvement shortly afterwards.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What a wonderful update...sssshhhh sound with vocals is finally not causing discomfort to ears..do not mind in increasing volume level...Sound profile finally pleasant to hear...this update is too late and Arc should have been launched like this i.e with this fundamental good sound signature.. .now Sonos can easily  find tune for more perfection on top of this wonderful update

Do you have your Arc paired with the sub and have run truplay? Cause if you have and like this sound, I don’t really understand why you have a sub in the first place. I’m no bass hungry person but output with the sub is now less than without the sub!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have an Arc, Sub gen 3, and Play 1 surround setup. I have noticed that if I toggle the Trueplay off, then the sub seems to come back a lot better. Not as good overall sound as pre-update, but right now my system with Trueplay off sounds a lot better than Trueplay on, particularly in the bass. I can barely tell the Sub is even there with Trueplay on.

Just turned mine off it doesn't fix it but it is more usable now and the sub is sounding better