patch 14.12

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 3

Have you subsequently submitted a diagnostic, and contacted Sonos?

Yes I have

Userlevel 7

Is anyone using the HDFury Arcana with the Arc and experiencing the lower volume levels after the 14.12 update? The reason why I ask is because I use the Arcana and have not experienced the lower volume that so many people here are reporting.

Even though I haven’t experienced the problem above, I have noticed the slightly different sound profile of the Arc and the weaker bass with the Sub. Disabling Trueplay has definitely helped fix the Sub issue for me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Is anyone using the HDFury Arcana with the Arc and experiencing the lower volume levels after the 14.12 update? The reason why I ask is because I use the Arcana and have not experienced the lower volume that so many people here are reporting.

Even though I haven’t experienced the problem above, I have noticed the slightly different sound profile of the Arc and the weaker bass with the Sub. Disabling Trueplay has definitely helped fix the Sub issue for me.

I’m using arcana and did notice the reduction in sound..

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Are the powers to be looking into this?

I doubt it.  I’ve called Sonos support multiple times and all they say is that they haven’t heard of these problems and try to tell me to factory reset my system.  They don’t care about you once they have your money unfortunately. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Are the powers to be looking into this?

I have an open case and have been told they are looking into it 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I also noticed a difference in sound  reduction especially from streaming services,.. Also watching blu rays.

yep! theres been a reduction to sound quality/volume on all my streaming services but Sonos Support likes to think the problem doesn’t exist.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Whatever.

I listed my 2 sonos arcs, 4 subs, 8 sonos one’s for 2000 dollars. Purchase price: 6400 euros. **** painful but so is owning these pieces of junk, the UE before they sounded like that too is like fighting in a boxing match with an incompetent company that has no **** clue what it’s doing. How is the update not reverted yet, seriously?

Let’s hope we can still get rid off this **** before the value absolutely plumets. Hoping to buy 2x Samsung HW-Q950 instead and be done with this. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@GuitarSuperstar i hope they do fix it I am not looking for a rollback but a fix

Just as 10.06 didn't affect everyone I know this hasn't but it has me

Another thing that I noticed that when I watch a surround heavy movie with helicopters flying round the room the quality of sound appears better from my ones than the arc

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I have a question if someone can confirm this please?

Before 14.12 I had auto update disabled in the app, as I wasn't planning on updating, my iPhone auto updated the sonos app, which greyed/cleared a few things out such as trueplay and remove/add sub.

I reluctantly updated the system to 14.12 due to this, did it early before posts like this were created, so would have held off!

Anyway does updating the sonos app normally grey settings out like it did this time?

Unsure if in future I should also disable auto updating the sonos app, but then that will be a pain for all my other apps that auto update.

Yes.. my phone app was automatically updated( why I don’t know) and the true play option was faded out . However the speakers were still at 14.10 and Sonos was advising me thru notices that my system needed an update. Some had issues, some not so it was a toss up. I decided to update and regret. Volume is not there nor bass as it was. Hopefully, SONOS does something about these issues. Don’t update!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

**** I’m done with this company. 

Trading is not permitted here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I also rang sonos and submitted diagnostics 1479794144

They are looking into it apparently 👍

Thanks for letting us know they're looking into it. It can't stay like this. Sounds terrible. Needs to be rolled back for sure. The Arc would not win any awards sounding like this. Absolutely got it wrong with 14.12

I understand your frustration, but be careful not to assume that every user is experiencing the same problems as you. With my setup, I have noticed no difference with the volume level and can tell that dialog clarity has been improved. I just tested Blade Runner 2049 on Blu-ray (which is known for its impressive bass) and I still experienced the same room-shaking bass that I had before the update.

More than likely, Sonos will not roll back the update but just make some adjustments to address the issues that some users, like you, are experiencing.

Then it's quite hard to understand and you're very lucky when most of the users are having the same problem...

I happen to be in the same ‘boat’ as @GuitarSuperstar, I’ve not noticed any significant change on either of my two Arc setups. 

However, if you are indeed concerned, providing Sonos with hard data about your system, via a diagnostic submission followed by a phone call, so they can look at the diagnostic, is probably the best way to proceed, as some have already done. Just responding with a ‘me too’ in the community forum doesn’t give them much in the way of hard data to investigate whether or not there could be an issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Update 

Dts 5.1 is better than dolby sources possibly because dts has been recorded with higher gain

So it appears dolby atmos and 5.1 appear affected more by the update 

Tested with a couple of blurays so far

Though output is higher still quality not as  good need to turn treble down to-2 to stop wincing at certain high action scenes 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Anyone going to chance their arm and install the updates?!  😆

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Not yet, might wait for a Peter Pee review first 😄

I am doing it now. In for a penny, in for a pound. 😀

I will update on this forum once complete. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL BASED SOLEY ON THE BELOW

I have installed the update, and it has seemingly not broke anything which is good news. I have also performed true-play. (NOTE: It did not force me to re-turne, I just decided to do it anyway). 

I have spent only 10 minutes with the opening sequence of Blade Runner 2049, and the bass does appear to be more punchy and making my room vibrate. The volume also seems to be a compromise between where it was before the last release and present day. But I just whack it up to around 40 and that is fairly loud in my house. (Used to be 30 or so). 

I think the new sound-signature might still be there, so some may find that not to their taste. But the bass does sound like it has had some improvement after the release, It certainly does not sound non-existent as it did before on the previous release. 

Of course, listening for extended periods is the way forward so I need to do a lot more than just 15 minutes and one film to make an assessment. 

Thanks,

Brad

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

How about I install Tradefirmware 14.12, charge every buyer 5 times value but actually only lend the devices? Sound good, you ***? You should quit your job instead of working for a company that deserves to go bankrupt and face life in jail for their scams. 

Roll back 14.10 *** NOW

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct

Badge

Test post as my last disappeared 

That’ll be because you got a glimpse of the secretive ‘Area-51’ level of the forum; tread careful now lol 😆 

Userlevel 1

This 14.12 update ruined my system! I’ve spent a lot of money because I love sonos products but everything is significantly lowered now during music and movies since this update. It turned my bass down to almost nothing, the bass isn’t what it used to be. Please Sonos fix these issues!

You do know you can manually tune the Sub and surround levels, right?

Yes, of course but even then it is still not the same, this update has screwed up the way the sound system sounds as it has for many others.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter its still awful for me I retuned truplay and still no bass 
I have gone back to manual settings -8 treble so I can at least use it and it's the same on my 5's and sub if they had sounded like this day 1 I would have returned them😩
One more bad update like this I am done 

Another video by Pete

Peter Pee’s latest video has left me wondering if the Sub issue that a few users have mentioned in their posts in the community here is ‘perhaps’ more closely related to a Trueplay issue, rather than the dialogue-clarity changes in the 14.12 software update.

I did notice the Arc volume reduction in that update, which I still think might have been a change to the volume-curve, rather than an overall reduction in volume.

Anyhow the volume difference was quickly resolved in my case by increasing the volume slider for the Arc by around 10% (approx.) from level 30 to 40, but I’ve not experienced the Sub problem, but then again I’m not currently using Truplay on the Arc setup here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

How about I install Tradefirmware 14.12, charge every buyer 5 times value but actually only lend the devices? Sound good, you ***? You should quit your job instead of working for a company that deserves to go bankrupt and face life in jail for their scams. 

Roll back 14.10 *** NOW

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct

Maybe just remove him with all these posts?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update:

After listening to various sources (music, movies and TV shows) for a few more hours I have some additional observations:

• Music (Deezer HiFi tracks, pop, jazz) sounds really bad since the 14.12 update. It’s as if the system tries to emphasise (and often over-emphasise) vocals at the expense of most other frequencies apart from very low bass. I have my EQ set at bass+8 and that might be the reason why lower bass frequencies are pronounced. This wasn’t the case with the same EQ setting before the update. Bass was strong but balanced before. Apart from vocals most other music detail is very quiet (or completely lost) and sounds flat. This is at what I consider normal system volume for music, which is around 22-30 level on my setup. Surround speakers still sound more pronounced than before to the point where they become distracting on some tracks. My surround sound setting is at 0 for music level since the update and music playback mode is set to ambient as before. I’m struggling to understand why an update meant to improve dialogue clarity for movies/TV has such a huge impact on music playback. This is a real deal-breaker as music is painful to listen to now.
  • Blu-ray movies (Lossless Atmos soundtracks) tested with Blade Runner 2049, Free Guy and Dune. Bass isn’t as strong as before the 14.12 update and it also sounded unbalanced with lower bass frequencies more pronounced. Voices and dialogue seem to be marginally better but that also varies with different scenes and movies. Surround speakers are definitely louder now (surround audio TV level at 0 just as it was before I updated to 14.12) but this is not so much of a problem with movies as it is with music. Overall, the update does change the Atmos movie sound profile quite a bit but it is not as much of a deal breaker as it is with music. Movie soundtracks are a bit more forgiving I guess.
  • TV shows tested with streaming from Netflix and Disney+ (Atmos and 5.1 soundtracks). Similar result to blu-ray movies except for dialogue clarity, which doesn’t seem to have improved much with 14.12. For example I found the dialogue on Orville to be significantly quieter compared to all other sounds - pretty much the experience I’ve always had.

I should emphasise again that I don’t have a Sub in my setup and I rely only on the Arc and OneSL surrounds. A setup which I found more than adequate before the 14.12 update. Those of you with Sub in your setup might have different experience.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

O, and if anyone speaks to Sonos directly, please ask them to verify whether any of the bass fixes actually were included in 14.14.  I can see other people on different threads saying it has done nothing at all which is somewhat concerning.  So we need to verify whether the latest release actually is meant to address some of this. 

Badge

Hey everyone. 

I have the Arc, Sub Gen 3 and 2 One SL’s so here is my experience since the 14.2 update:

1st Trueplay tuning result I got was very poor with far too much treble and a distinct lack of Bass. Put up with it for one evening as I thought perhaps it was just “psychological” but when my wife mentioned the sound I knew something was going on.

2nd Trueplay tuning. Bass, bass, bass!! Initially I thought that this was my system back to normal and put down my first experience to a bad Trueplay. Used this for 2 ½ days with a variety of content before coming to the conclusion that now the sound was far too bass heavy and had become very muddy and messy sounding, particular during action scenes in movies. At this point I looked online and could see that many people were unhappy with what has happened since the update.

3rd Trueplay tuning. So this is where I am now completely confused to what is going on. I carried out this 3rd Trueplay with as similar a “technique” as the first 2.(perhaps going a little slower on the second stage sweeps). Now it’s early to say but I have spent the whole day testing my system with a wide variety of content and I have to say it now sounds the best it ever has since I purchased it 15 months ago?! I wonder if as well as tweaking the default eq of the arc to give clearer vocals, they have also done something with Trueplay that is causing very varied results? Possibly even a Trueplay bug? I’ve only ever used Trueplay so I can’t tell the difference in the default non Trueplay eq. The other strange thing that I have noticed is that Trueplay has been changing the volume of the surrounds. In the first Trueplay I had to set them at -1 TV, 2nd Trueplay -2 TV but now with my 3rd and favoured Trueplay they are at +3?! (I use a sound meter /mic to determine my correct surround volume settings).

Clearly some very strange things going on!

I wonder in future if Sonos could allow Trueplay profiles to be saved and stored so you can revert back to a previous tuning if you get an undesirable result?