patch 14.12

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Another video by Pete

Peter Pee’s latest video has left me wondering if the Sub issue that a few users have mentioned in their posts in the community here is ‘perhaps’ more closely related to a Trueplay issue, rather than the dialogue-clarity changes in the 14.12 software update.

I did notice the Arc volume reduction in that update, which I still think might have been a change to the volume-curve, rather than an overall reduction in volume.

Anyhow the volume difference was quickly resolved in my case by increasing the volume slider for the Arc by around 10% (approx.) from level 30 to 40, but I’ve not experienced the Sub problem, but then again I’m not currently using Truplay on the Arc setup here.

I watched Prey (Disney) yesterday via my apple tv 4k, had the volume quite high for me, about 50-60% I guess. I just have the Arc and Sub and it sounded really good (bass from sub).

I do also have Trueplay disabled as well though, I didn't test with it enabled but with other content the other week and trueplay enabled sub was lacking a lot.

I guess the atmos soundtrack helped a lot as well, as atmos offers a lot more punch and depth compared to LPCM.

As for that guy ranting above, why the heck do the mods allow comments like that, we all have a rant and are unhappy sometimes but that guy has gone too far with personal insults. I don’t want to read that on here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you Sonos for managing to ruin my viewing and sound experience…

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

O, and if anyone speaks to Sonos directly, please ask them to verify whether any of the bass fixes actually were included in 14.14.  I can see other people on different threads saying it has done nothing at all which is somewhat concerning.  So we need to verify whether the latest release actually is meant to address some of this. 

Already done that. I have contact with a higher level of support and send them an email yesterday. As soon as I know more, I’ll let you know

Badge +1

The overall volume of my entire system has decreased  significantly. I am running an ARC with 2 Subs and Play 1s for the rear. Can literally have the volume pegged at 100% and have a conversation with the person in the room next to me. Truplay or not same scenario. I am literally ready to dump the entire setup on Ebay or Marketplace and purchase something different.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just received an email from Sonos higher support desk. 
They confirm patch 14.14 does not resolve the bass issue for the Arc+sub users. That’s the only thing they could tell me. What the bugfixes are, we still don’t know. 

I have provided them with a ton of information which I gathered testing using different platforms. Dolby Summit and Home Theatre Testing Kit troughs Apple TV 4K, Music streaming using Apple Music and Qobuz. 
They thanked me for that and will pass trough all the information to the engineers. Well… let’s hope the next patch will finally resolve this issue (whenever that might be)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

They confirm patch 14.14 does not resolve the bass issue for the Arc+sub users. That’s the only thing they could tell me. What the bugfixes are, we still don’t know. 

Lol what, so they release an update 3-4 weeks after they broke something with 14.12 and this isn't even a fix for something that we are eager for.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I agree. I have just re-bought the full ARC system after returning my original one due to the infamous disconnect problem, and its a lot worse. The sound is nothing like my original sound. Its going back, Sonos have well and truly lost their way.

I wonder who they’re going to blame this time for this issue. Last time, it was our internet that caused the drop outs.

Get ready for another 2 months of nightmare.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I agree. I have just re-bought the full ARC system after returning my original one due to the infamous disconnect problem, and its a lot worse. The sound is nothing like my original sound. Its going back, Sonos have well and truly lost their way.

I wonder who they’re going to blame this time for this issue. Last time, it was our internet that caused the drop outs.

Get ready for another 2 months of nightmare.

Nah, i have the option to return it, which i will. Only shame is that Sonos dont care. They wont miss my £2500

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If the new volume representation is your only problem with the new patch I fail to understand the problem. The same volume that was 15 is now represented as 30. So what?

I can understand that people have a problem with the sound of their systems changing and also if the maximum volume would be lower - though I do not use maximum volume on my Sonos devices ever. You do not report this though.

Hello, me for example, i have a big issue with this update. Ok the volume could be up, but it is only for the TV or Movies. When I ask Alexa or play music, the New volume Level who is low for TV is very high when Alexa answer or play music with spotify Connect.

it is a very high problem for my family because my wife and my childrens are not happy and affraid

It’s still there. In the Announcements thread, not this thread. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Another video by Pete

Peter Pee’s latest video has left me wondering if the Sub issue that a few users have mentioned in their posts in the community here is ‘perhaps’ more closely related to a Trueplay issue, rather than the dialogue-clarity changes in the 14.12 software update.

I did notice the Arc volume reduction in that update, which I still think might have been a change to the volume-curve, rather than an overall reduction in volume.

Anyhow the volume difference was quickly resolved in my case by increasing the volume slider for the Arc by around 10% (approx.) from level 30 to 40, but I’ve not experienced the Sub problem, but then again I’m not currently using Truplay on the Arc setup here.

This definitely looks like a Trueplay issue. I have switched it off now, and the sub is delivering all those low end frequenties again. I suspect, because of the high curve in the low end frequenties (before Trueplay is done), Trueplay is trying to compensate those, with the result, those are turned way too low. Probably that's the reason why some people are complaining and some others aren't.

If (and I say ‘IF’) this bug is the price we need to ‘pay’ for a soon patch with allows us to have more control on the sound profile. For example, adding a 5 or maybe even a 9 bands equalizer in the app, I’m more than happy to wait for it.
But when the patch is just a fix, without any added features, I really don't understand why this took so damn long. Anyway…. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and can't wait for the next patch.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can play easy music on max now and don’t even sound that loud.  

Nice when you have a party and your sonos cant even get that loud. Its a joke this update 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

That would make sense Ratty

Better late than never, I suppose:

Sorry, Danny. If I were close, I’d come by and give you a hand. Alas. 

Better late than never, I suppose:

Sorry, Danny. If I were close, I’d come by and give you a hand. Alas. 

My kids have iphones, so I will use one them.  It’s just that they are both older now and have jobs,  I don’t see them as much...no idea when I see them next.  I can’t keep up anymore.

And…

Edit: Oh, Bruce got there first. Never mind. The more the merrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sony systems can calibrate via built in microphones, the Ones and the Arc have them as well so surely they can True Play from their own hardware?.

This guy explained what's wrong with the update + sub✌️🥰https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/s2-update-14-12-sub-issues

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

In my mind and experience, it’s more of a marketing gimmick, if you’ve positioned  your speakers well, it doesn’t make a difference. If you’ve never run TruePlay, you’re now getting more without needing to run it. 

And that’s what i thought. However without trueplay the sound in my garden room is just terrible. Trueplay make a massive improvement.

Although  to be fair i notice little improvement with my Playbase and ikea surrounds in the lounge. 

Userlevel 7

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

The same for me also, arc + sub sounds quieter

Not happy with this update I have had to turn up bass and sub levels and double overall volume to get what I had before 

I had no clarity issues unless this is music related as i only use my arc system for movies and TV 

Should have known better and waited before updating 

Other than having to increase the volume, do you notice any improvement with the audio quality especially with dialog?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I have provided them with a ton of information which I gathered testing using different platforms. Dolby Summit and Home Theatre Testing Kit troughs Apple TV 4K, Music streaming using Apple Music and Qobuz. 
They thanked me for that and will pass trough all the information to the engineers. Well… let’s hope the next patch will finally resolve this issue (whenever that might be)

I am running out of tears. 

(But I am also asking why I am shedding tears for a speaker set). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have to agree that music sounds worse after 14.12, retuned truplay on ot off doesn't matter to my ears. Arc with sub and surrounds 

Going to amend my remarks after listening for a couple hours at various volume levels.

Focusing on clarity etc, I perceived (not measured) some of the claimed improvement in speech clarity at lower volume. And I don't note any, much less significant, difference in perceived volume level at my typical listening settings.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I did a live chat for an hour the other night explaining this is my second arc setup and i can return it. After an awful lot of messing around from them, he confirmed there was a bug in the update and the engineers are currently working on it. He didnt say a fix though, more about finding a happy medium.

Userlevel 2
Badge

never gonna happen