patch 14.12

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not sure if any of you guys can also confirm this, but I notice the loudness setting has very little effect now between on and off, whatever the volume you have set.

Before 14.12 I would notice the change easily, loudness on having a lot more bass in everything, now its like the setting does nothing at all.

Indeed, I noticed this too the other day. After the 14.12 update the Loudness setting has little effect.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Not sure if any of you guys can also confirm this, but I notice the loudness setting has very little effect now between on and off, whatever the volume you have set.

Before 14.12 I would notice the change easily, loudness on having a lot more bass in everything, now its like the setting does nothing at all.

Indeed, I noticed this too the other day. After the 14.12 update the Loudness setting has little effect.

Same here, no effect whatsoever. Any setting that can be changed in the app does nothing to get it back to how it used to sound. If this had happened within my first 30 days I would have sent it back, no question. I think SONOS forget that we hear and live with their products day in day out. I am utterly astonished how this ‘update’ was approved and pushed out to devices. Must be a different team to those who originally released (the ARC) at least. I know everyone has different equipment, TruePlay, room conditions, tonal tastes etc but it’s very annoying. Anyway I might call up instead of keep ranting on here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@nikid i think this update was for people complaining about being unable to hear dialogue 

I never had an issue hearing dialogue myself but it seems some people like this update either they have no issues like us or it suits their preferences 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well I’ve just been on to a very helpful person at Sonos, confirmed that they are indeed working on a fix for the problem. I hope it’s soon, I have 30 days to return. Such a shame that this once decent brand has taken such a nosedive. Mind you, I’ve tried so many other soundbars, all of them having problems. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

As for my Moves, which are my favourite speakers, as trueplay is built in i can’t comment what the difference is as there is no before and after to compose as you can’t turn the trueplay on and off like other speakers.

However what i do find is that set up a nice distance from a garden lounger they are easily my favourite speakers. They rate higher than my Play 5s and sub. Also friends visiting can’t get over how good the sound is.

This is why after was soo annoyed when they stopped working after one of the recent updates. 

In most rooms, I’ve perceived little to no improvement, and in fact often leave TruePlay off. I do pay attention to speaker placement, and it does help when there’s not an ideal placement available. But to say that Android users are getting ¾ the experience seems to be a bit much from my perspective. I truly believe that if Sonos felt is was a “requirement” to get their speakers sounding perfectly, they’d have created a device, as suggested. The fact that they haven’t leads me to the supposition that it’s merely an “add on” without significant enough value to rate that kind of treatment. It’s nifty, when it works, but I also don’t believe that when it’s not there, you’re getting less. 

I do believe there’s mostly value in the other “self” tuning that Sonos does for individual speakers, but the fact that Sonos have not created a way for non-iOS users to achieve TruePlay is indicative to me that it’s not “all that and a bag of chips” . I do think people’s perception of the value there is overblown. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

No improvement 

Oh and I rebooted the TV and the arc

I have sub and rears too.rMy experience is with Truplay off. Sonos is suggesting to disable trueplay temporarily. Seems they are working on fix for sub power wihile trueplay is enabled.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Test post as my last disappeared 

That’ll be because you got a glimpse of the secretive ‘Area-51’ level of the forum; tread careful now lol 😆 

Lmao 😇 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Did the update yesterday. Redid Trueplay, but I found the dialogs on the Arc to be rather worse than improved. I watched the latest episode of Better Call Saul on Netflix and it was like they were all in a box or something. Very muddy and not crisp at all. Maybe a coincidence. Will have to watch more to see if it was incidental.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It's not just the ARC driven systems the, it's all the S2 systems?.

Yup all my system now sucks I have turned off truplay to mitigate the issues but it's not helping to much 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I've been reading some of the comments on Peter Pee's recent YouTube video about 14.12, to my amazement he acted positively about it. I think in short, there's nothing posivite about it, certainly in terms of the sound and volume level. Indeed the happy medium fix  needs to be a revert back to how 14.10 sounded and keep the connectivity improvements. It was a joy to hear the 14.10 sample again in Peters video. Must be a different team now, people on other forums reckon it's a load of ex-Bose employees now running the show, all I know is whatever it is, it's unacceptable to so-call improve something for the moaning few, but totally ruin something great for the vast majority. If you had a dialogue issue, use the setting. If you've still got a dialogue issue, send it back as the Arc or Sonos infrastructure isn't for you. Don't ruin it for the rest of us. I will keep saying it, let's get that AWARD WINNING sound back, please.

Agreed 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@skullc - thanks mate. I did try that but it still left me with a massive frowny face. I would say a 20% improvement but with unbalanced sound at best.

I am so mad at myself. 

Yes I was too I have got mine so I can use it but and it's a big but it's not good 😩

I have started looking for a replacement system as my av is Important to me so sad

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yes I was too I have got mine so I can use it but and it's a big but it's not good 😩

I have started looking for a replacement system as my av is Important to me so sad

That is really so sad. Sonos is a really, really great system when it works. Just before I updated to 14.12 I was regaining my love of movies, and more specifically, movies on a Sonos Surround setup. And now this issue during the holiday season.

I am going to see a) if they fix this and b) it restores the sound before I start hunting for a new system. But, very very sadly, if they don't then I will have to move on. (It will be back to separates and wire for me).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the new volume representation is your only problem with the new patch I fail to understand the problem. The same volume that was 15 is now represented as 30. So what?

I can understand that people have a problem with the sound of their systems changing and also if the maximum volume would be lower - though I do not use maximum volume on my Sonos devices ever. You do not report this though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As for my Moves, which are my favourite speakers, as trueplay is built in i can’t comment what the difference is as there is no before and after to compose as you can’t turn the trueplay on and off like other speakers.

However what i do find is that set up a nice distance from a garden lounger they are easily my favourite speakers. They rate higher than my Play 5s and sub. Also friends visiting can’t get over how good the sound is.

This is why after was soo annoyed when they stopped working after one of the recent updates. 

The Move has always been ok on S1, along with other issues on top that has made me very reluctant to move to S2 (and buy the Arc). 

Seems Sonos can't help but mess around with their systems, luckily S1 has been left alone recently.

Badge

Same experience with the sub not giving the same impact it did. I would usually have the sub level at +5, but that now feels totally lacking. Having it at +15 does add bass, but not in the same way(and not as deep) as before. It sounds wishy washy, muted, almost like it's playing in another room.

Really not happy with the overall result in sound now. Has sonos made a mistake with the eq?! I've seen some testing that indicates the volume on the lowest frequencies has been affected, which would correlate to people's experiences.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

For the sub…. I now have the sub-level @ +8, Loudness on, Bass @ -1 and treble @ +2 after Trueplay tuning.

Still not as punchy as before, but it gets closer to it. I think by lowering the bass in the equalizer and turning the sub-level up, it brings down the mid-range bass a bit and pulling up the low-range bass. Now it sounds like a balanced frequency response curve, so I don't have to raise and lower the volume constantly while watching a movie to prevent annoying my neighbour 😂

If you watch this video:

You will get a pretty understanding what’s going on at the moment. Although this was measured with only the Arc, without Trueplay tuning. It Brought me to the idea to lower the bass level a notch en increase sub-level drastically.

This doesn’t mean I’m satisfied with the result, but it’s better that it was since 14.12 in my opinion. I have reported the issue to Sonos a few days ago. First with the chat. I don’t know who it was, but she suggested that my iPhone was not working correctly and suggested to get another iPhone to redo Trueplay tuning. Yes, right… So they blame the iPhone instead of recognising their own mistake. I have heard that before. So I picked up the phone and called Sonos support. The employee was very happy with my feedback and promised me to report it straight to the Sonos engineers. He also told me, it can’t be my iPhone, because Trueplay works, or it doesn't. If the microphone of the iPhone isn't working properly, it will not finish the Trueplay, end of story.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi All,

I just factory reset everything, just to see for myself. 

Even before TruePlay, the volume needs to increased significantly to get the same output as before 14.12. Also, the soundstage seems to somewhat less dramatic - almost like a collection of different speakers with different timbres making a noise, rather than a cohesive sound. TruePlay does not help at all. I am staggered that this has got out of the lab.

I guess my question here is if anyone actually HAS upgraded and experiencing no problems at all?

Thanks

Brad

I think the people having no problem with the update had issues hearing dialogue before probably adding a centre channel slider would have been a better solution IMHO 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I also noticed a difference in sound  reduction especially from streaming services,.. Also watching blu rays.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Are the powers to be looking into this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Peter Pee’s latest video is a good watch, his advice does make it better. His 3 tips are-

Increase volume by about 10-15 steps, from where you normally would have had it

Reduce bass by 2 or 3 notches from where you used to have it pre 14.12

Increase treble 1 maybe 2 notches

Tried his advice made me wince 😜

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@ledzep1 

14.10 settings :

Treble 0 bass 0 height +6 sub 0 volume 15 (dnd neighbours) volume 35 for movie night 

14.12 settings 

Treble -4 bass -4 height +6 sub +6 volume 40 dnd neighbours 

All the above is with truplay on off and I have to mess around more 

Higher treble makes it sound more harsh to me

All the 14.12 settings don't sound anything like as good as the previous update did!

Userlevel 7

For those who are experiencing the significantly lower volume levels, I’m curious to know what your setup is. What model TV is the Arc connected to? What media devices are you using? Is the lower volume with both TV and music audio?

Hi All,

I just factory reset everything, just to see for myself. 

Even before TruePlay, the volume needs to increased significantly to get the same output as before 14.12. Also, the soundstage seems to somewhat less dramatic - almost like a collection of different speakers with different timbres making a noise, rather than a cohesive sound. TruePlay does not help at all. I am staggered that this has got out of the lab.

I guess my question here is if anyone actually HAS upgraded and experiencing no problems at all?

Thanks

Brad

I think the people having no problem with the update had issues hearing dialogue before probably adding a centre channel slider would have been a better solution IMHO 

Indeed I had issues with muddy dialogue before this update. I like the sound profile better now. What I dont like is that my sub is not audible anymore. Its vibrating but I cant hear it with trueplay on. Its better without trueplay at the moment. Why cant we have better dialogue clarity without messing up the bass?