patch 14.12

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I did a live chat for an hour the other night explaining this is my second arc setup and i can return it. After an awful lot of messing around from them, he confirmed there was a bug in the update and the engineers are currently working on it. He didnt say a fix though, more about finding a happy medium.

If it’s a ‘bug’ then it should require a fix. Sounds more like a poorly received change that they are privately reacting to and don’t want to admit they screwed the pooch publicly for whatever reason. At least not yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed a new update comes out sooner than later. I’ve tweaked my settings to get it back to somewhat decent bass levels. But the low end is still really lacking. Just refuses to rumble the chest like it did pre-update. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

While I don't have an Arc so have not lost trueplay on anything, I too am on Android and have an old iPod touch that I just used for trueplay. Like the above poster, it now does not support the latest Sonos update so cannot be used anymore. Bit disappointed as it was so useful to have just for trueplay. Not planning on changing my set up so I just hope I don't lose my trueplay settings in the future due to future updates. I get that as updates come online, older devices may not be able to support the Sonos app but still a bit gutted 

Userlevel 7

I updated my system to 14.12. After redoing Trueplay and testing a few different sources, I’m happy to report that I have not experienced the lower volume levels that other users have reported.

I have noticed an improvement in dialog clarity. Dialog sounds a little fuller and more pronounced than it did before. It is enough of an improvement that I don’t think I will need to use Speech Enhancement as much as I have in the past.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@skullc - thanks mate. I did try that but it still left me with a massive frowny face. I would say a 20% improvement but with unbalanced sound at best.

I am so mad at myself. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter yes very sad I loved my system but cannot go back to wires I am looking at the lg s95 or Samsung 990b but living in hope it gets fixed 

I have rang with multiple diagnostics and all my observations to support and remain vocal on here I can only live in hope 👍

Userlevel 2
Badge

The sub really doesnt sound anywhere near like it did before. I have added bass but its not the same as sub bass, those low down notes that punch. Those impacts make it feel like an expensive premium system. I dont really understand Peter Pees video. I cant get mine to sound anything like it did. Sure, i can turn it up and add and remove bass/treble, but the overall sound is nowhere near what it was. Voices are clear, yes, but also to me far too thin, there seems no depth or warmth to the voice, or any of it at all to be honest.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I agree. 

But it makes no sense. Why reduce the output power and overall quality to fix dialogue clarity?!

Userlevel 1

I have bought Sonos (Arc and sub gen 3) because of impressive low bass I love. Now after update I am sure I could bought anything else than Sonos. I heard two versions of Dolby Atmos demo on Peter YouTube channel and I know previous FW version was better for me. This update did hurt my Sonos experience and I will be sad but it will go away if they will not fix it.

Userlevel 3

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

The same for me also, arc + sub sounds quieter

Not happy with this update I have had to turn up bass and sub levels and double overall volume to get what I had before 

I had no clarity issues unless this is music related as i only use my arc system for movies and TV 

Should have known better and waited before updating 

Other than having to increase the volume, do you notice any improvement with the audio quality especially with dialog?

Just a lot of midrange. It's offensive 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter

Just turned truplay on and messed around with the settings -4 on bass  and treble +6 on sub seems better but the sound is much thinner if that makes sense 

Also the front soundstage seems narrow not as wide much more central 

You are right about the narrow soundstage! And that is sound thinner. Not great sounding at all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I also rang sonos and submitted diagnostics 1479794144

They are looking into it apparently 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I also rang sonos and submitted diagnostics 1479794144

They are looking into it apparently 👍

Thanks for letting us know they're looking into it. It can't stay like this. Sounds terrible. Needs to be rolled back for sure. The Arc would not win any awards sounding like this. Absolutely got it wrong with 14.12

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Airgetlam agreed and during the call I was told they were aware of the issues affecting some users and were actively looking at the problem 

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

The same for me also, arc + sub sounds quieter

Same here. It sucks.

Update 

I have redone truplay and no change I have to watch  at volume level 30 when before I would use 15 

For movie night level it's now 50-55 before was 35 I have never had the volume over 50 before as it was to loud

Again I have had to increase the bass and sub level and when I use the movie night level I have to turn treble down as it is to harsh 

Before the update the front soundstage sounded wider as well if that makes sense 

As for clarity it was fine before I never had to use speech enhancement for dialogue and for the level I use for movie night if I do not reduce the treble it sounds like the way my dad has his TV set up and he was deaf!

In short it sounds awful now 

Couldn’t agree more with this. My set up has the same issues. I redid the trueplay and it did nothing. I guess we can hope for a patch soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Presumably only fixes the Arc etc. + sub trueplay issue then.

I wish they offered a roll back to the previous version, but that doesn't seem their MO. I much preferred the sound profile before 14.12; it now has a more narrow, hollow sound to me - the vocals are too present. It's less rich sounding than before. Shame.

Fairly new to Sonos, little over a month of owning the Arc and One SLs. Loved it previously but sounds like complete cr#p now since this update. 

Android user here to boot! So feel like a second class citizen. Beta to Sonos' preferred VHS. 

Fixing a failed update by TruePlay isn't an option open to us all. Looked at purchasing an iPod touch but seems little point when TruePlay can suddenly be removed at the whim of a app developer. 

Was going to purhase the sub, not now, that's laughable!

Front soundstage is now non existent, sound is weak and tinny. It's embarrassing and I'm so disappointed in the company and product. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@EioEioEio
don't bother truplay does little to resolve this issue at least for me anyway 

Make sure you contact sonos support to register your problem more that do more chance they fix it 

And more data they have helps

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

This is getting ridiculous Sonos😡

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I think it’s ok to let the SONOS team to have more time to spend on the overall improvement and that of the dialogue, but at the very least just let us revert back to the system that used to be on version 14.10 first? I don’t mind to run another trueplay for that cos it’s much better than don’t want to use the system now… The volume drop problem may not give big impact to me because the apartments in Asian countries are relatively small but for those user in other countries, they may feel like their system already reached or very close to the limit and the system is not as powerful as before, which is really a bad feeling. I’ve read that a user used to put the volume at 60% in his big room and now he has to put 100%… :(

Please just simply let us have the system back in the status before this update 14.12 and then spend time on improvements.

Peter Pee’s latest video has left me wondering if the Sub issue that a few users have mentioned in their posts in the community here is ‘perhaps’ more closely related to a Trueplay issue, rather than the dialogue-clarity changes in the 14.12 software update.

I did notice the Arc volume reduction in that update, which I still think might have been a change to the volume-curve, rather than an overall reduction in volume.

Anyhow the volume difference was quickly resolved in my case by increasing the volume slider for the Arc by around 10% (approx.) from level 30 to 40, but I’ve not experienced the Sub problem, but then again I’m not currently using Truplay on the Arc setup here.

So you don’t have your volume to the max in settings? Why wouldn’t you out of curiosity?

No of course not, the Living Room here is just 22’ x 13’ feet …and the Arc’s 40% volume-level is bordering on the max volume that we currently use with our LG C9 TV, we used to have it set around 30-35% before the update, so around 10% difference overall (give or take) in volume change.

If I do slide the volume-level higher it gets too much for our hearing and that’s still very much the case now - so I don’t think the overall volume-level at its max 100% setting has changed, just the volume-curve itself is steeper in the latter stages of the volume slider control, at least that’s my own thoughts on the Arc’s overall max volume.

(Postscript: I agree with others about the moderated posts above - the author’s language is uncalled for. Not something I want to read on these pages and thanks🙏aswell to the Staff/moderators for quickly cleaning up those posts).

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

My system definitely sounds worse after 14.12

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued discussion. We’re really happy to be able to tell you that today we’ll release an update that will include fixes to the issues that resulted from the 14.12 software update with Enhanced Clarity for Arc.In the 14.12 release, we made a change to Arc’s sound profile to improve dialogue clarity and the overall sound experience.  Since that update, some users whose configuration included a Sub have experienced two issues:

1. Users of Arc would find the same volume settings resulted in lower output volume. Whilst the maximum volume and bass capabilities were unchanged, volume settings in the lower regions resulted in a quieter sound than before the update
  2. Users of Arc, Beam and Ray would find their Sub output is lower than desired after performing a new Trueplay tuning.

(Home theatre configurations without a Sub were unaffected, including standalone soundbars and those bonded with surrounds only)

With the 14.18 software update, both of these issues have been addressed, and the Enhanced Clarity for Arc adjustments are retained. There was a clear preference within our community for the previous volume settings, and these have been restored. This will be apparent immediately after updating to 14.18. The Trueplay issue has been fixed. Customers who experienced a lower Sub level after performing Trueplay after updating to 14.12 will need to update their systems and then perform a new Trueplay tuning in order to address these improvements in their system. Customers will hear a more powerful low end response, meaning any Sub level adjustments made after 14.12 should no longer be required.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Not sure if any of you guys can also confirm this, but I notice the loudness setting has very little effect now between on and off, whatever the volume you have set.

Before 14.12 I would notice the change easily, loudness on having a lot more bass in everything, now its like the setting does nothing at all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Not sure if any of you guys can also confirm this, but I notice the loudness setting has very little effect now between on and off, whatever the volume you have set.

Before 14.12 I would notice the change easily, loudness on having a lot more bass in everything, now its like the setting does nothing at all.

I have just tried it and can confirm the same

Hardly any changes