Volume Randomly Increasing to Max

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

I am having exactly the same problem as reported by many others before: Playing music via Spotify, switching to the iOS Sonos App to group my rooms and after grouping suddenly the volume increases until it reaches the maximum. Toggling it back down does not help as it increases back to maximum right after. This problem is serious, especially when you are living in an apartment complex with neighbours all around. 

Therefore I am asking: What’s the status of this issue? When will there be a fix?

Exactly the same - if I open Spotify and connect to Sonos speaker from in Spotify volume goes to max in whole house - is there a fix for this?

At the moment it means I can’t connect to Sonos speakers through Spotify which is really annoying.

Not sure if this will work, but perhaps worth a try 🤔.... goto ‘Settings/App Preferences’ in the Sonos App and switch off the ‘Hardware Control‘ toggle switch and then after turning down the volume, fully close and reopen both the Sonos & Spotify Apps, then maybe try again and see if that works?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello

I have the same problem here since some weeks.

The Spotify app is changing Sonos volume.

This was not happening before.

I filed also an issue on Spotify community here but no answer yet:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-volume-High-on-Spotify-Connect-and-Sonos/td-p/4848566

Badge

Had the same issue when using Spotify Connect to control my Sonos. Seemed to happen when Spotify had lost the connection to Sonos (maybe the app having been put to sleep by Android to save battery) and then reconnected.

I set up volume limits to 25-30%, and so far it does not seem to have happened again.

Userlevel 1

I've started getting it this past 2 weeks on my phone when using Spotify and either my beam or play 1.

I've had it happen when going back into the Spotify application as well as when I've been using another.

Just done a little test where the apixation had been background for 15 minutes, switched applications back to it and the volume switcher in the Spotify application jumped to max and then back down to where it was before visually but the volume didn't change.

Android version 9.  Patch PPWS29.116-20-11 from 1st September 2019.

Spotify app version 8.5.30.579 installed 29th October.

The update seems to have fixed THIS problem.

Spotify Connect now doesn’t sync what’s being played with the Sonos app like it did before, Spotify on my phone keeps crashing (music stops playing), I keep getting the message “this song can’t be played right now” when I am playing a Spotify playlist using the Sonos controller app on the Mac, but otherwise all is fine ;)

One day Spotify will redirect their engineers from “add lyrics in real time” to “fix the countless bugs” and we will all be shocked.

my wife is having the same issue BUT with Iheart radio.. sonos is playing fine in one room she launches iheart radio on iPhone X (not connecting to Sonos) and the volume on what was playing on the sonos maxes out.. I do not think this is a “spotify” issue

I found this on the Spotify forums. May be of help for some, but I don’t think it’s going to help me as I use my TV remote to control TV volume on the Sonos Amp and don’t want to lose that.

:link:  https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Volume-Control-w-Sonos/m-p/1700907#M77958

I’m having the same problem but not through spotify (that I’m aware of). My issue is with the tv when switching between prime, netflix and the tv. Also the default volume slide on the tv keeps readjusting to the point I need to go into the app to lower it. Only been doing this in the last few weeks and very annoying. I hope sonos will address it soon. 

Perhaps try logging out and back into your Sonos Controller(s) in Settings/Accounts and do the same for the Spotify Service in Settings/Services and see if that perhaps fixes the issue. 

Badge

I have a Sonos 5.1 setup consisting of a beam, sonos one x2, and sub. Recently when listening to Spotify on my iPhone XS (the only controller I have active in my household), the volume on the system raises to max volume when going to change the volume in the sonos app, or from the lock screen. I have only had the system for a few weeks and it seems to only do this when Spotify is active, not Pandora or while using the TV. Currently my system is on version 10.1.2, and my iPhone controller states the version is also 10.1.2. My system is currently connected via wireless, and not through Sonosnet.

I have seen in other forums that the work around is to disable hardware volume control and lock screen controls in the Sonos settings in the native iPhone settings app. But my question is, has this issue been permanently addressed yet in a sonos update/will it be in the future? Or does this have to do with possibly having a faulty system?

I have an XS, whether relevant or not, as my Sonos controller, and in the last 2 days my system suddenly moved to full volume for no apparent reason. For the last year or so before this, it’s been completely stable!?

Yup same here.  With no warning when streaming from Spotify I get 100% volume out of a pair of play 1s.  I live in an apartment and have had complaints from the neighbours as this happened whilst in the shower. I take care of my equipment and don't appreciate them being thrashed  uncommanded !  Please fix with Spotify .  Surely this is one of the most common configurations these days? They may sound great but  My word do they have some problems    Not good enough  . 

For what it's worth, it keeps happening to me too. I've not been able to work out any pattern, but it is quite frustrating. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

this has been happening to me, but today it's happening repeatedly. I play music from Spotify to any of my Sonos speakers and the the volume jumps to 100%.

Did we know if this is a Sonos bug or a Spotify bug?

And more importantly, is there a fix on the horizon?

Userlevel 2

Same happening with my system. Submitted diagnostic to Sonos. 

Has happened now last two nights at nidmight. Playing from Spotify but not through the app. Using alexa to start the music on Sonos so don't think it has anything to do with mobile apps more the Sonos / Spotify service. 

This is still an issue since it happened to me this morning and it scared the **** out of me!

I was using the Sonos app and Spotify app on my iPhone. Volume goes up to 100%, uncontrollable. I had to pull out the plugs of the Sonos stereos. 

I’ve experienced the same issue two years ago at a friends house who had Sonos. It suddenly started playing 100% volume music without any of us controlling anything. This is very worrisome. 

How to prevent this from happening? 

Terrifying when this happens and it happens to me all too often.  Random.  I may not even be in the room.  For god’s sake don’t leave the room with it playing unless you live alone and in the country or you may very well be living alone soon enough.

PLEASE ESCALATE!

Had the same issue when using my iPhone with Sonos and Spotify in combination. could reproduce the issue by simply swapping between the apps. 

Fixed it by:

1. Un- and replugged all Sonos speakers.
  2. Updated the Sonos app to latest version and made sure the Sonos system had the latest update. 
  3. Updated the Spotify app. 
    (both apps had pending updates)

Works perfect. Fingers crossed. 

I use the Sonos app to control my music and this has not happened yet, however, my wife uses her Spotify app and as soon as she opens Spotify when already playing through the Sonos it jumps straight to max volume. she doesn't like using the Sonos app as it shows my playlists and not hers (I don't know how to change that for her) so she uses her Spotify and she is getting frustrated which as you can imagine means I get it in the neck :-) I’d love to find a way to fix this for her…. 

Problems such as this just prove Sonos don’t care about its customers, have incapable support & engineering staff or both. This thread provides a simple reproducer yet Sonos have failed (for years) to act. To busy deprecating products they said they’d never deprecate I guess.. 

This is happening for my girlfriend when she is using snapchat on the phone that is currently playing Spotify on Sonos.

It is happening for me as well when I get a warning from my glucose app “Dexcom” (diabetic).

Happened to me first time today, had play bar for 4 years with no problems at all, great bit of kit. But…..today played Sonos bar through Spotify, worked fine, and been totally fine all day and afternoon. Then tonight all of a sudden whilst watching tv the volume shoots up to 100% (bolero on Dancing On Ice and now the neighbours know we watch it, zero for our reputation) So annoying. Have reset bar, uninstalled and reinstalled sonos s2 and Spotify, reset router, unplugged and replugged everything….still does it but only when I plug the optical wire in from tv, volume shoots up and white dot is on permanently like someone has their finger on the volume up button on tv remote, which they don’t! Sent diagnostic 205815941 and will give it another go in the morning. Amazing to watch the slider go up by itself on the app, but sooooo frustrating to search for help and see that this issue has been going for a year and there is no clear fix from Sonos….help appreciated. 

Aye, after the last update the volume went all the way up between songs, and Björk’s ‘Innocence’ is not what you want blasted at you at full power without prior warning.

The real solution to this problem seems to be called Apple Music. I’ve been trying to keep away from it, but it looks like Spotify is bent on getting rid of me. This is neither the first nor the tenth big issue I had with Spotify in the last few years.

Could be unrelated, but I have the same issue all services from my Apple TV (Hulu, Apple Movies, Netflix, Plex -- it doesn’t matter. 

Sonos Beam, and 2x Play:1’s. We use the Apple TV remote for everything as it’s the only input device. 

Any insight? 

I’ve been experiencing this too over the last couple of months when watching TV. I bought my Playbase in the fall of 2018, and haven’t had this problem before. Seems like a serious bug that needs top priority!