Volume Randomly Increasing to Max

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I signed up to Spotify today and am getting the same issue referred to above when playing from Spotify, not from the Sonos app. Mine is jumping to around 50%, not great when the kids are in bed. Will be monitoring this thread. 

I’m having same issue with Amazon music and Apple Music. I was in the shower and it went to max volume. Poor pups had to hide under the bed. 

Same problem here. Can’t believe this is already a one-year-old thread about a very severe bug, and nothing has happened. I don’t really care at all if it’s a fault by Spotify or Sonos. This just has to be fixed.

I am having the same issue using Tidal.  I think that this is a Sonos problem.

I’m suddenly experiencing the same MAXIMUM SONOS VOLUME on my 2 Sonos Play5 [Gen1] using Spotify. If I wasn’t deaf before, I sure as hell am now! It’s happened twice … and I won’t have it again … so my much loved Sonos devices are firmly switched off until I can be sure of avoiding a repeat episode. I’ve used Sonos boxes these for years without problems, so I’m really missing them.

I’ll look at limiting the maximum Sonos volume [as suggested elsewhere in this thread although even random 50% volume could be problemmatic], and I’ll also submit a Sonos diagnostic. Unless I can get this fixed, I’ll be ditching Sonos or Spotify or both hard as I’ll find that! My planned purchase of a Sonos Move is also on hold!

I contacted Sonos who asked me to send a diagnostic … said they can identify the device causing the volume change …. unfortunately I’d switched my speakers off, which meant that the trace had gone. Sonos were helpful anyway … pointing out it was time I scrapped my old bridges and asking me to resubmit a diagnostic if the MAX Volume issue happens again. Meantime, setting my MAX VOLUME = 50% should reduce the impact of any recurrence. I’m back in business thankfully!

It would be helpful if users would submit a Diagnostic immediately after one of these events, then post the confirmation number here.

I’m suddenly experiencing the same MAXIMUM SONOS VOLUME on my 2 Sonos Play5 [Gen1] using Spotify. If I wasn’t deaf before, I sure as hell am now! It’s happened twice … and I won’t have it again … so my much loved Sonos devices are firmly switched off until I can be sure of avoiding a repeat episode. I’ve used Sonos boxes these for years without problems, so I’m really missing them.

I’ll look at limiting the maximum Sonos volume [as suggested elsewhere in this thread although even random 50% volume could be problemmatic], and I’ll also submit a Sonos diagnostic. Unless I can get this fixed, I’ll be ditching Sonos or Spotify or both hard as I’ll find that! My planned purchase of a Sonos Move is also on hold!

I contacted Sonos who asked me to send a diagnostic … said they can identify the device causing the volume change …. unfortunately I’d switched my speakers off, which meant that the trace had gone. Sonos were helpful anyway … pointing out it was time I scrapped my old bridges and asking me to resubmit a diagnostic if the MAX Volume issue happens again. Meantime, setting my MAX VOLUME = 50% should reduce the impact of any recurrence. I’m back in business thankfully!

Hi Podra,

It would be interesting to know if you have the latest version of Spotify. Version 8.5.32.889 seems to have fixed it for us on Android, but I need to do more testing. We were out all day Christmas shopping, but it was fine this morning.

If it's fixed we might think of another Sonos purchase to celebrate! We have really old stuff

Hi I have really old gen1 Sonos kit too. My partner have the latest version of Android Spotify 8.5.32.889 …. but I was using my iPhone when I experienced the MAX VOLUME problem -   Its on version 8.5.31.989 - that seems to be the latest available for iPhone, but perhaps there’s another version in the pipeline. Good luck with the shopping!

And please add my voice to the chorus: starting earlier this week (around October 21, 2019), my Sonos started suddenly maxing out the volume at unpredictable intervals.  My partner and I sleep while playing a Spotify white noise playlist overnight.  Three times this week the volume suddenly zoomed up.  When this happened last, it was literally in the middle of the night -- we were not using our phones, we were not fiddling with controls, we had no apps open, we were not sending any voice commands (our system is linked with Google assistant).  Needless to say, it was a traumatic experience to be woken up in the middle of the night by an ear-puncturing blast of white noise!

To the best of my knowledge, we have not changed anything in our system recently: no changes to set-up, no addition of speakers.  I haven’t been following closely if there have been recent changes to the iOS or Android apps.  

Badge

I wonder if it's been fixed on Android but not iPhone, or if I'm kidding myself it's been fixed at all

Like many others. Issue driving me crazy. Iphone XS and a bunch of SONOS Play 1.

This is really ridiculous, and it seems it’s nothing new, with reports going back a number of years.

And me. I’m fairly new to Sonos products but it’s happened a couple of times now when using Spotify.

Done. 1275438742

Took about 20 minutes from pressing play to the volume jumping up. I’ve got the max level set to 20% or something, so it won’t show in diagnostics as 100% or anywhere near (I think, I don’t know how the logs work).

I wonder if it's been fixed on Android but not iPhone, or if I'm kidding myself it's been fixed at all

I’m guessing you have contacted Sonos and submitted a Diagnostic so that they can verify which device asked for the volume to be ramped up? If not, I think its worth doing ‘cos it keeps them in the loop and perhaps puts pressure on Spotify if it is them. I found Sonos really helpful with this.

In every case that I’ve seen a resolution posted by someone who worked with Sonos to diagnose the issue, it’s always been an external cause, most frequently a stuck volume button on a phone, although one time, it was a remote under a couch cushion.

If you can submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it, I’m sure they would  be most happy to work with you to figure out the issue….even if it does turn out to be a Sonos software issue, which they could then fix in the code and roll out to everyone. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

I’m not a spotify subscriber, so I don’t seem to be having this issue, but I’m wondering if you delete the Spotify app from your device, and only use the Sonos controller to access Spotify, does this issue still happen?

Badge

I’m guessing you have contacted Sonos and submitted a Diagnostic so that they can verify which device asked for the volume to be ramped up? If not, I think its worth doing ‘cos it keeps them in the loop and perhaps puts pressure on Spotify if it is them. I found Sonos really helpful with this.

I posted these a couple of times but it's no longer immediately obvious to me how to contact them (I have in the past).

23rd October 2019 48662544

28th October 2029 1434685313

Anyway, I'm now pretty sure Android is fixed, for me at least. From your experience, it seems Spotify still have to fix iPhone.

This ought to be a big deal for both Spotify and Sonos if they are losing sales

For me the update for Spotify didn’t fix the bug!

Playing with the Sonos app doesnt give a problem. But when I play music from the Spotify app on my Samsung S8 (even after the laste update (Version 8.5.32.889, Netherlands, Europe) the volume goes suddently MAX!

Im curious if I am the only one.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have this problem with spotify when i switch to the Sonos system.

Steps to reproduce
1) open spotify app
2) adjust volume to a low level
3) pick my basement sonos system in the spotify stereo selection
4) SONOS VOLUME GOES TO 100

This is so frustrating I may have to delete Spotify.

While I realize the may be Spotify's fault, there's something sonos could do about this.

In the same way Android prompts me to go over a low volume when Bluetooth or Headphones are engaged, we could have a volume setting that requires answering a prompt to go beyond.

This is not the same as a volume cap. I still want to be able to turn the volume up high. However, I want the system to require a prompt to be acknowledged in the Sonos app to achieve > 80pct volume.

Same thing has been happening to me as well! I went ahead and submitted diagnostics to Sonos. Gives me jump scares when it decides to jump to 100 %.

I posted these a couple of times but it's no longer immediately obvious to me how to contact them (I have in the past).

Anyway, I'm now pretty sure Android is fixed, for me at least. From your experience, it seems Spotify still have to fix iPhone.

I agree - its fairly easy to contact Sonos using the app, then settings , then help … eventually you get to an email / twitter / messenger page. I used https://support.sonos.com/s/education?language=en_US

Badge

Playing with the Sonos app doesnt give a problem. But when I play music from the Spotify app on my Samsung S8 (even after the laste update (Version 8.5.32.889, Netherlands, Europe) the volume goes suddently MAX!

If it’s not fixed for everyone then it's not fixed. I have an old Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1

Badge

I agree - its fairly easy to contact Sonos using the app, then settings , then help … eventually you get to an email / twitter / messenger page. I used https://support.sonos.com/s/education?language=en_US

Thank you podra. It could be that twitter and messenger put me off (I forget). I'll follow this up if the problem comes back

Badge

I have a Beam in my living room and a stereo pair of Ones in my kitchen. This happened to me again last night while making dinner. It’s probably the fourth or fifth time since I set up my system that the volume maxed out. I got my system about a month an a half ago. I’m using Spotify but I might switch to Apple Music since this seems to be a Spotify issue. Has anyone had this happen with Apple Music?

Scott

If it’s not fixed for everyone then it's not fixed. I have an old Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1

Try contacting Sonos and sending them a Diagnostic [only works if you haven’t turned your speakers off].

Userlevel 1

Diagnostic id 794708529, although I've got the max volume set to around 50% but it still jumps up to that!