F.A.Q.

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Show first post

92 replies

I use UniFi®️ AP AC LR Access Points for my meshed network although most of my SONOS gear (six ONEs and one Port) are wired connected and wifi disabled. The remaining ONEs, Play5 and two Symfonisk devices are (5GHz) wifi connected. The connections are stable and we switch several times a day from radio stations between the different rooms. The only issues we have is when we start using Airplay and devices disappear or do not sync. Any suggestions?

thanks @Corry P I wiil have a look at the settings and observe the impact

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @el rubio 

Good to hear, and thanks for sharing!

I’ve been trying for days now to connect my Play 1 to WiFi since switching ISP.

I go through the steps in the app to reconfigure network settings, press play/pause and volume up but just hangs when connecting to device and times out.

This, for me, is one of the most helpful posts/threads, on this particular topic, that I’ve seen in the community in quite a while. Great stuff @Corry P. Thanks for the time & effort in researching and pulling all this information together. It explains everything in ‘easy to follow’ terms and is very much appreciated.👍

I will certainly be referring users in the community with such WiFi mesh systems and devices, that are encountering any related Sonos issues, to read through this entire thread and to take onboard the considered advice suggested here.

I have all my devices (Arc, 2 SL’s and sub) hardwired and have WiFi disabled on all devices. Never had any issues. But I was told once by support while on the phone with them on a different subject that I should not be going 100% wired and only to attach the arc as wired and let everything else be wireless. Any thoughts as to why they suggested that?

Thanks for this Corey.  Good information.

Regarding mesh routers, I have an Orbi and I think I have it in a slightly different setup than you’re recommending.  My modem router has the WiFi turned off, and I think al DHCP functions are turned off.  It’s then wired to the Orbi base, with WiFi and DHCP functions turned on.  I am using Sonosnet, so it likely isn’t an issue either way, but curious if this is an acceptable setup for those who aren’t using Sonosnet.

Too be clear, I have not looked at the modem/router settings in years and not 100% DHCP is turned off or if that’s even possible.  In fact, I am having issues with remote access to plex, not really related to Sonos, that hints that a double NAT might be the problem.  Probably need to dig into my settings for both devices and see what’s going on.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Corry P Can you advise how the portable Sonos devices handle roaming between 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

I have setup as per recommendations (single SSID), I am finding that when I ‘roam’ with the Roam outdoors, it seamlessly moves from 5GHz to 2.4GHz, as per you description above, uninterrupted music stream, so works well.

But I find once its on 2.4GHz, it doesn’t ‘roam’ back to 5GHz, even when idle/paused/woken up. Seems its stuck on 2.4GHz, even though there is less utilised higher bandwidth 5GHz available.

My other portable devices (mainly Apple) do roam back to 5GHz when indoors, so it seems specific to Sonos.

I don’t have band steering enabled, as the client should decide what is best connection.

Are you experiencing any issues because ROAM will not switch back to 5GHz?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

No playback issues. Its really an academic/understanding question, I have observed other portable devices such as iPhone and iPad will re connect to 5GHz when available, even with band steering disabled.

My 5GHz is half as congested as the 2.4GHz, so I wanted to understand if the Sonos portable devices should roam back to the 5GHz if its available, as the original FAQ states:

Sonos will perform best on 5GHz as it is faster, has lower latency and has less congestion. 

If we are saying it’s not broken, ie working as designed, then I wont attempt to fix it. 😀

No playback issues. Its really an academic/understanding question, I have observed other portable devices such as iPhone and iPad will re connect to 5GHz when available, even with band steering disabled.

My 5GHz is half as congested as the 2.4GHz, so I wanted to understand if the Sonos portable devices should roam back to the 5GHz if its available, as the original FAQ states:

Sonos will perform best on 5GHz as it is faster, has lower latency and has less congestion. 

If we are saying it’s not broken, ie working as designed, then I wont attempt to fix it. 😀

As a suggestion, if you powered the Roam off ‘fully’ for a short while (5+ sec. power button press) and then brought it back online in the house where you previously had it working on the 5Ghz signal, my thoughts are it will then use that faster signal until you step outside and it becomes weak again. So that might be worth trying, rather than putting the Roam into standby/waking it up again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

I am unsure of the exact operating logic behind the behaviour, and your quoted statement is correct, but yes, as the saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. However, I do think enabling band steering should ease the transition for Roam.

Incidentally, a reboot of the Roam would likely push it onto 5GHz if within range, though that isn’t exactly automatic.

Edit: Ken beat me to it!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes, rebooting Roam always gets it back on 5GHz inside. As does forcing a reconnection in the management interface on the AP.

I’m trying to set up my Play:1 to use WiFi but had zero luck. It connects fine with an Ethernet cable but no matter what I try, I just cannot get it to connect to my WiFi. I’ve tried a factory reset and added it as a new device, followed all the prompts in the app, pressing buttons when told to, get as far as connecting to temporary network SONOS but nothing, just a message saying mobile device couldn’t connect, move closer and make sure it’s powered on!

I’ve never had so much bother setting any other wireless device up. Why can’t I just tell it the SSID and password of my network and let it connect? 

I’ve never had so much bother setting any other wireless device up. Why can’t I just tell it the SSID and password of my network and let it connect? 

That would be what the “SONOS” temporary SSID is for. But since you’ve already tried wiring it once, just wire it again then go to Settings>System>Network>Manage Networks and add the SSID/password there. You can then remove the Ethernet.

That would be what the “SONOS” temporary SSID is for. But since you’ve already tried wiring it once, just wire it again then go to Settings>System>Network>Manage Networks and add the SSID/password there. You can then remove the Ethernet.

I tried all that and just nothing worked. However I do now have it working!

I was using my phone, a Google Pixel 6 Pro to try setting up, I’d been through the force stop, clear cache, clear data to no avail so I though I’d try on a different device. I installed the Sonos 2 app on my Lenovo tablet, did a factory reset of the Play:1 and voila, the tablet worked perfectly, didn’t even need to plug a cable in.

I started the app on my phone and told it to connect to an existing setup which it did and so now it works from both phone and tablet.

I still think it shouldn’t be this hard.

This has been my experience. Sometimes the phone/pad will not notice the SONOS connection, claim that this is some sort of rogue connection, or simply time out.

This is ridiculously complicated for a system that costs what Sonos does and purports to do easily.

I just spent 2 hours trying to change the network my 4 sonos speakers connect to.   Error after error for something that should be easy enough.  Im done with it.  Piece of trash 

I’m not sure what is really that complicated about wiring one Sonos device only to the new router and rebooting all other speakers, Then opening the mobile App (connected to the new router WiFi). Wait just a minute, or two, for all speakers to show - then add the new WiFi SSID/Password to all via ‘Update Networks’ in the Apps network settings.

Oh and perhaps don’t forget to remove the old WiFi credentials from the system too (if no longer needed). This WiFi switchover must take all of 10 minutes.

I’ve done it three times. Followed the new router - installation instructions FAQ. Never had an issue. 

Fantastic article.  I appreciate the depth of it.  Unfortunately it did not help with my issue.  I have a Meraki MS220-48LP switch with ERSTP disabled and STP blocking disabled with a suggested bridge of 4096.  I also have two Meraki MR28 access points in a mesh network on the same channels (2.4 and 5.0 GHz radios).  I have 9 Sonos pieces on the network  three of them amps and all wired to the network.  My bar, sub, and two rear channels along with a Five are wireless.  This evokes the SonosNet but I see all devices wired and wireless on my Meraki network.

Here’s the issue.  If I open my Sonos app on my Mac via a wired connection, I see all Sonos hardware.  If I attempt to use the app when on the WiFi, they disappear.  My iPhone app shows nothing via WiFi as well.  Why?  Obviously it has something to do with my WiFi.  What am I missing? 

Hi I'm Lanz,

Recently I went back to my country the Philippines and have my Sonos Ikea symfonisk speaker transported also to Philippines from Singapore from where I used to work.

In Singapore I have been using the symfonisk speaker very well and it was really great! But when I set it up at home in the Philippines, I have changed/set up to the new router even connected the device there and plugged but when all is connected there is an error that keeps me from playing music and the error message shows like this.."unable to play music"...."error occurred while adding your music to the queue, error(701)".…

Please acknowledge my inquiry, i don't want to end up keeping my Sonos away in box for being useless.

I also went in and out of my phone's settings and app permissions and yet it still not resolved.

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths 

I’m glad you find it helpful!

@Corry P maybe time to write a dedicated FAQ for meshed wifi networks only and list the do’s and don’ts - I notice more users are getting meshed networks in their premise 

hi @Corry P my UniFi system was configured with your suggested settings, except for the IGMP Snooping since that needs an UniFi switch. However, I have now ‘Point to Point‘ and ‘P2P Cross Connect’ enabled in the wireless network settings and my perception is that this has improved the behaviour of the SONOS devices.

after some months experience I can confirm that my UniFi system and Sonos devices still behave well and AirPlay is stable - moreover, I have observed that none of my Sonos wireless connected speakers are ‘visible’ in the UniFi Network clients list, except for the Sonos Roam - I believe this is related to the SonosNet (on channel 6) connectivity - all Sonos wire connected device are visible though - all Sonos devices (wired and wireless) have an IP Address with WM:0 except for the Sonos Roam (using 11ac (5GHz) - channel 40) that has WM:1

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I had the same issue as you many years back and traced it to the unmanaged switch that all of the SONOS and other equipment was connected to that required STP / RSTP to be active. The system worked fine until certain devices were turned on and then a “Ethernet Broadcast Storm” occurred which caused the entire network (Wired and Wireless) to fail.

The solution was to have all of the wired SONOS products connected to a managed Ethernet Switch with proper STP / RSTP configuration.

My configuration is Xfinity XB7 Modem -- TP-LINK Managed Switch - Main Switch - TP-LINK Managed Switch - Home Office - TP-LINK Managed Switch - Living Room. I have most of my SONOS equipment connected to the three TP-LINK Managed Switches. The other SONOS devices are connected to the SONOS Net. In addition, I also have the latest generation XFINITY Pods to increase the wireless range of the Xfinity XB7 Modem. All of the network cable is CAT5E.

This forum is the closest I can find to the subject of my question, so I’ll post it here.

I have a dozen or so Sonos products including surround sound setup with Beam (2nd gen), a sub and two 3’s for rear speakers and various 1’s around the rest of the house. I installed a Google mesh system with the ISP’s cable going right into a Google node (no ISP router). Three other Google “nodes” around the house and all show strong signal and 80+Mbps speed.

However, occasionally a Sonos speaker will cut out or take its time coming online after being selected. One tech support person suggested a Sonos “Connect” may be helpful. I bought one but after reading this thread, I’m a bit afraid to try it and I’m tempted to leave well enough alone!

The question is: should I include the “connect” in the system and if so, how? Do I just plug the Connect into one of the Google nodes in the middle of the house? If so, which connection point on the node?

Thanks for any insights.

Firstly do you mean a Sonos ‘Boost’ rather than a ‘Connect’ - A ‘Connect’ is ‘usually’ used for connecting external audio sources to a Sonos system, like a Turntable or CD player etc?

Anyhow, perhaps have a read of this thread from Sonos Staff and first see if that assists you:

Sonos on WiFi Mesh