F.A.Q.

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Show first post

92 replies

Yes! The “Boost”. My bad. Thanks for catching that.

Had a ‘could not find sonos product’ after I installed an Eero6+ mesh WiFi. My modem is an Arris NV6468MQ and I disabled the Arris Wifi so that radio signal didn’t conflict with the Eero. My Eero system works great, but I could not reconnect Sonos by the traditional method of ethernet to router. After an unsuccessful 1+hr call with Tech Support, I tried connecting the amp to a standalone Eero unit via ethernet and Viola!, it works perfectly. This ethernet connection has to be on one of the remote Eero pods to work (not the one hard wired to the modem). Even though my Eero system uses the same login and pw credentials to connect, it is a different network so this problem is solved!

Yes! The “Boost”. My bad. Thanks for catching that.

Ah that’s okay 👍 see if the linked thread assists - it’s basically a case of having your router in bridge mode. The Google Nest in router mode, with its satellite Hubs. Then wire just the Boost to the primary Nest/Router only (do not wire anything to the satellite hubs).

In the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Networks’ area set the SonosNet channel to one that is not used by the Google WiFi. I would also remove your WiFi SSID/credentials from that area of the Sonos App too when you have all up and running.

Hope that assists.

Thank you. I initially installed the Eeros system without disabling the router and everything connected but Wifi didn’t seem to be any stronger. Then I configured the modem/router to bridge mode and that failed. I called the ISP and they stated they don’t support Bridge mode, so they made changes, but it appears DHCP is still enabled, but they disabled the 2.4 and 5ghz radios and now the signal via Eero works great. This is when I couldn’t re-connect to Sonos. By connecting my Sonos amp to one of the Eero nodes (not the one connected to router), this allowed the entire system to be visible upon opening my S1 app without any further adjustment. Thank you for clarifying the other options above and I’ll keep it for reference if I run into any problems. 

I have Sonos Play:5, Sonos One, and Connect AMP … I love them all BUT they have started to constantly disappear from the system … randomly … I cannot figure out the pattern … I suspect the root cause being my Nokia Super WIFI mesh system, I have two, one Nokia connected to router via cable and one more as extender … all Sonos connected via WIFI and I thought this should be possible without having to think about which of the Nokias to connect to …

Any advice on how to get to a stable network would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Erik 

Try unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router has a couple of minutes to come back up, plug back in your Sonos devices.

Userlevel 7

Deleted..posted in error. Sorry!😥

Try unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router has a couple of minutes to come back up, plug back in your Sonos devices.

Airgetlam, thanks for your suggestion, and why should this work?

This process would have multiple possible corrections in it, the most prevalent of fixing an issue with your router and IP assignments. It sometimes occurs that a router ‘loses’ its place in the DHCP  table, and begins assigning duplicate IPs. A refresh of the router by rebooting it usually takes care of this, and when the Sonos boots back up, it requests a fresh IP from the router. Plus you get the benefit of refreshed systems on both the router and the Sonos devices, in case there were any issues there. 

I wish I’d known any of this before buying these things. Yes, I have an extender. No I had no idea that would be an issue. What a waste of my money.

When we had wired speakers, we laid down the wires once and never had to think about it again. Now I spent 10-60 minutes a day troubleshooting. Argghh!

When I do plugin a Sonos speaker, the playlists skip all the time and I get network errors, cannot connect to device errors up the yin yang. When I unplug it, no problems except I can’t group all 3 of my speakers together. The one on the extender acts alone!

Badge +1

Hello,

I have a Eero mesh network and have tried the troubleshooting steps above, putting the mesh network into bridge mode but my living room setup (beam, sub and 2x one SL) still disappears from the sonos app everyday! At least once A day I have to search for missing products or update the network on my living room surround setup so that it returns to the app. 
This has been ongoing for about a month now, nothing has changed on my network. As a worst case scenario, yesterday I factory restored the whole living room and still the living room disappears from my app. 

please help!!

Try a reserved or static IP. This fixes issues like this regularly when we come across systems that we haven’t installed. See our video below that details this and other fixes. Static IP starts at around 5:20.

Sonos One and Sonos SL as stereo pair.  Router shows L+? in system details.  I think this is because router allocates one speaker on 5GHz band, second on 2.4GHz.  Stereo works fine BUT Trueplay does not appear as available?  Is this because of band allocation and how can I resolve?  Not quite as technically knowledgeable as some of above postings 🙁

Sonos One and Sonos SL as stereo pair.  Router shows L+? in system details.  I think this is because router allocates one speaker on 5GHz band, second on 2.4GHz.  Stereo works fine BUT Trueplay does not appear as available?  Is this because of band allocation and how can I resolve?  Not quite as technically knowledgeable as some of above postings 🙁

Sounds like an SSDP multicast discovery issue between your controller and speaker operating on a different band - this used to be an issue with some BT (British Telecom) Routers, Smarthub v2, just as an example.

I would first check for router firmware updates that’s if it’s your own router, or maybe see if running things on SonosNet may work any better for you. I would certainly reserve your Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP reservation table.. Unfortunately, there are lots of things that can help improve device discovery (even changing router WiFI channels and reducing the 2.4Ghz band channel-width to 20Mhz only), but maybe try some of the things mentioned and see if they may help to resolve your issue.

Thanks for prompt response.  Mine is a Plusnet2 - effectively a recycled BT router!!  I will investigate your suggestions.  Thank you.

It's a shame that Sonos seem to be moving away from Sonosnet as a preferred setup as I find it a far more reliable setup than relying on router/mesh/AP setups…

I assume there will be a period of transition, but at least WiFi 6 AX/E, or 7, will be much quicker than SonosNet v2 and hopefully the ‘device discovery’ issues will become a thing of the past across a WiFi mesh system - I don’t see any reason to not have everything operating on 5Ghz/6Ghz connections in the longer term. Home WiFi has greatly improved, but the cost of a multiple-hub mesh setup does need to come down in price. It’s not a cheap upgrade at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Which is why an explanation would be nice……

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Who knows but I doubt it was a big technical reason as they could have added that function without too much effort as they're Sonos speakers running Sonos software.  I think it was more strategic..

As for bandwidth etc., even ‘lowly’ 2.4GHz networks can transmit data huge magnitudes greater than even an Atmos stream requires - especially if there's multiple routes for that data to travel - called Sonosnet 😏..

I'm sure people could do tests on how much data is streamed at a time from different services but I recall doing some tests a few years back where I played a song for a few seconds and then disconnected my NAS shortly after startup and the song finished without issue so the cache is fairly large (moreso on newer S2 devices) if used correctly.  Obviously filetypes and sizes come in to play of course but people seem to have gotten into a mindset of 2.4GHz being so archaic -  yet I can Speedtest on my (2.4 SSID) WiFi and be in the hundreds of Mbps from t'internet.  Again, not everyone has those speeds incoming but it doesn't need a fraction of that to serve high quality audio - without worrying if you're connected to a different hub/disc/AP/channel….