Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Show first post

92 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @el rubio 

With a UniFi system in place, you can try the following:

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

Please also enable IGMP Snooping (which is in the Networks settings page).

I hope this helps.

hi @Corry P my UniFi system was configured with your suggested settings, except for the IGMP Snooping since that needs an UniFi switch. However, I have now ‘Point to Point‘ and ‘P2P Cross Connect’ enabled in the wireless network settings and my perception is that this has improved the behaviour of the SONOS devices.

I’ll add my experience with Nest (Google) mesh and S1 products in case it helps someone:

When setting up for the first time with a mesh system make sure you setup the Sonos products with only the mesh router operational.  No mesh points or nodes powered on. Trying to set up Sonos products via mesh points has caused me all sorts of issues.  It seems (from my experience) the Sonos products need a direct mesh router connection to configure correctly.  This doesn’t have to be wired.  Wireless worked just fine for me.

Once all Sonos units have configured via the mesh router and are connected to the mesh wireless, moving them around the house and having them connect to the mesh via points or nodes works with no issue at all (so far) :-)

I’ve been trying for days now to connect my Play 1 to WiFi since switching ISP.

I go through the steps in the app to reconfigure network settings, press play/pause and volume up but just hangs when connecting to device and times out.

Sometimes rebooting the router, speaker and mobile device can fix the issue - the steps to follow are the ones mentioned here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

If the issues persist after rebooting all, then it maybe best to contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bluesden 

Thank you for sharing that - I’m sure someone will find it extremely helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths 

I’m glad you find it helpful!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Any chance of the option to use the 5ghz band for Sonosnet - might be able to play Flacs again without running out of bandwidth? 2.4ghz band hopeless in my urban area.

This was one of the most insightful posts I've ever read. Thank you. 

I'm running a large network with over 200 devices and lots of Sonos. Everything Sonos related is actually running fine, but something is creating some kind of wonkiness with other devices on the network. 

Ive been isolating different clients and when I powered up the Sonos it impacted the sync of a bunch of 2.4 GHz smart light switches. So this post really helped me better understand. 

Here's my topology, do you think there is anyway Sonos could create a switch loop? Is there anyway a wired speaker could accidentally be connected wirelessly at the same time? The Eero people think some type of hub or router is on my network that's changing IPs. 

​​​​​​Modem Bridge > Eero PRO6 > Unmanaged Dedicated Sonos Switch > (11Amps, 5 Arc, 4 Beams gen2, 2 Subs G3, 1 Sub G1, Playbar, and 2 Play 1s). All speakers are wired expect for the 2 play 1s. And one sub is wireless currently. 

Sonos is working great. But trying to figure out what's causing some other network instability when it's on. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts or experiments I should try? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @WilsonLane 

The only way a device will not take whatever IP address the router decides it should get is if it has been manually configured to ask for a specific IP. Given that you can’t tell Sonos devices to do this, your Eero is entirely responsible for the IP addresses assigned to Sonos devices. As mentioned in some of the replies here, manual assignment of IP addresses in your network can make things more stable, but this would need to be done in your Eero configuration app/page.

Even though your Sonos system works well, it may be worth getting in touch with our technical support team, as diagnostics will be able to tell us if any devices on the network are being assigned IP addresses that Sonos is already using, or if there is any sign of multicast flooding on your network.

I hope this helps.

I realise that this is just one data point, but in my case Sonos uptime showed a marked improvement  (Apple Time Capsule as a router) after IP address reservation. On S1 now, so I don’t see frequent upgrades, thank heavens, but as I recall IP address reservation helped in making frequent upgrades in the past a pain free process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Like I said, if it works it works - I have no problem with you guys suggesting to reserve IP addresses, especially if it works. It’s just that I never found the need, so I left it out of the article (or should say it’s not part of my standard “toolkit" so I didn’t really think of it).

Regarding mesh routers, I have an Orbi and I think I have it in a slightly different setup than you’re recommending.  My modem router has the WiFi turned off, and I think al DHCP functions are turned off.  It’s then wired to the Orbi base, with WiFi and DHCP functions turned on.  I am using Sonosnet, so it likely isn’t an issue either way, but curious if this is an acceptable setup for those who aren’t using Sonosnet.

Absolutely. Sometimes routers are just terrible at what they do, and if you’re stuck with it (need it to get online with your ISP) disabling WiFi and DHCP and getting another device (like a mesh) to do the job instead is the best option. For the average user, however, it’s easier (and safer?) to put the mesh into Bridge mode. 

Having Dual DHCP/NAT is a huge problem whether you’re on Sonosnet or not, and Sonosnet won’t protect you from the effects (though it may mitigate some).

I was using my phone, a Google Pixel 6 Pro to try setting up, I’d been through the force stop, clear cache, clear data to no avail so I though I’d try on a different device. I installed the Sonos 2 app on my Lenovo tablet, did a factory reset of the Play:1 and voila, the tablet worked perfectly, didn’t even need to plug a cable in.

I started the app on my phone and told it to connect to an existing setup which it did and so now it works from both phone and tablet.

I still think it shouldn’t be this hard.

In my experience it’s often down to the way the phone behaves. The temporary “SONOS” SSID is open and obviously not connected to the internet. A phone might try and start a VPN on an open SSID. It might baulk at a non-internet connection. Sometimes the “auto join/connect” settings can also get in the way.

Later Sonos units have gone over to using Bluetooth LE for this kind of configuration process.

This is ridiculously complicated for a system that costs what Sonos does and purports to do easily.

I just spent 2 hours trying to change the network my 4 sonos speakers connect to.   Error after error for something that should be easy enough.  Im done with it.  Piece of trash 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Fantastic article.  I appreciate the depth of it.  Unfortunately it did not help with my issue.  I have a Meraki MS220-48LP switch with ERSTP disabled and STP blocking disabled with a suggested bridge of 4096.  I also have two Meraki MR28 access points in a mesh network on the same channels (2.4 and 5.0 GHz radios).  I have 9 Sonos pieces on the network  three of them amps and all wired to the network.  My bar, sub, and two rear channels along with a Five are wireless.  This evokes the SonosNet but I see all devices wired and wireless on my Meraki network.

Here’s the issue.  If I open my Sonos app on my Mac via a wired connection, I see all Sonos hardware.  If I attempt to use the app when on the WiFi, they disappear.  My iPhone app shows nothing via WiFi as well.  Why?  Obviously it has something to do with my WiFi.  What am I missing? 

Make sure broadcasts and multicasts (eg mDNS and SSDP) can pass between the WiFi and the wired network. (I am assuming they are all on the same subnet which is also a requirement).

Might be helpful if you were to also list the source of the music, as the streaming companies that have authorized Sonos to stream in Singapore may not have authorized Sonos to do streaming in the Philippines yet. Also, I’d suggest you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

You guys are all techies and can barely figure this out.  For the novice, we got no shot.  This product - many years later, is so far from plug and play.  In a wireless world, this product is terrible  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I know the PC is not very cool these days but it might deserve a mention here: a common issue with the PC app not finding any players is if the WiFi network is not marked as Private. Windows will block all inter-device traffic if a Wifi network is marked Public.

The official instructions for switching the type of a network are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-a-wi-fi-network-public-or-private-in-windows-0460117d-8d3e-a7ac-f003-7a0da607448d

This forum is the closest I can find to the subject of my question, so I’ll post it here.

I have a dozen or so Sonos products including surround sound setup with Beam (2nd gen), a sub and two 3’s for rear speakers and various 1’s around the rest of the house. I installed a Google mesh system with the ISP’s cable going right into a Google node (no ISP router). Three other Google “nodes” around the house and all show strong signal and 80+Mbps speed.

However, occasionally a Sonos speaker will cut out or take its time coming online after being selected. One tech support person suggested a Sonos “Connect” may be helpful. I bought one but after reading this thread, I’m a bit afraid to try it and I’m tempted to leave well enough alone!

The question is: should I include the “connect” in the system and if so, how? Do I just plug the Connect into one of the Google nodes in the middle of the house? If so, which connection point on the node?

Thanks for any insights.

Thanks, Ken. I will give it all a try when I’m feeling lucky! I appreciate the help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

No isp will support bridge mode as the router will not accept updates and they don’t like that they have no control 

I have a huawei cpe pro 2 from three and i also bought cpe pro 3 which I own

i have setup both as bridge mode and my eero pro 6 system controls dhcp etc

my arc is connected to the main eero via a switch and have no issues with any of my Sonos products 

Thanks for prompt response.  Mine is a Plusnet2 - effectively a recycled BT router!!  I will investigate your suggestions.  Thank you.

Maybe one way to find out if it is the router, is to put all on the 2.4Ghz band and switch off the routers 5Ghz band (just temporarily, whilst testing) and see what happens in that case.

Just ensure the 2.4Ghz SSID name is shown as listed in your Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks” and that your mobile controller is using that same band too for connection to the LAN.

What might also help is setting the bands channel-width to 20Mhz only, as that will reduce interference. Set the wifi to use either channel 1, 6 or 11 as those channels are non-overlapping.

My guess is it should resolve your issue and then you can maybe move forward from there to resolve things more permanently. As I mentioned, using SonosNet and reserving the device IP addresses may also prove to be helpful.

For what it’s worth: I am using in multiple sites Netgear routers with DD-WRT firmware which are programmed to reboot once a week and very seldom had any connection problems with my SONOS gear, a mixture of ONEs, Play:5, Move, Roam, Beam and Symfonisks.

I don’t understand the reasons why it doesn’t, but I’d assume there was substantial discussion around the issue at Sonos, before that choice was made. 

And give away their ‘company secrets’? There is a reason why we don’t get told everything. Sonos has competitors. Much as we’d love to know, I can I understand a certain amount of reticence on many subjects. 

I had the same problem and my solution was toe enable wifi on my arc (which I disabled since it’s connected with lan). The rears connect directly to the arc with 5GHz which make sure a they are in sync. 

on my Google wifi the rears are now reported as connected with wire (bridging via arc)