Answered

Sonos System

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’ve recently been gifted a Sonos Play 1 and it’s possibly the worst thing I’ve had. First I couldn’t connect to the WiFi but now that’s the least of my issues as I can no longer do anything. I’m constantly told I need to sign in as the system

owner. I have done. I’ve reset, restarted, deleted and reinstalled and still get this message. It’s not linked to the old owner. When I sign in onto Sonos online I can see that it’s been set up since middle of April when I received it but it won’t allow me to remove it or do anything. I know it’s a lot of waffle but I’m losing my mind with it.

icon

Best answer by Bumper 9 May 2024, 21:09

View original

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Terrible luck, Sonos rolled out a dumpster fire of an app May7. Save your sanity and contact support. Hopefully the wait is only an hour or four.  1-800-680-2345

Userlevel 4
Badge

It does seem to be a hot mess. I don’t understand how or why they thought any of their “innovations” were good/clever. Just when I think I’ve cracked it I’m just constantly hit with “sign in as the owner” I hate to break it to you Sonos, I am the owner, the only user and thus incredibly confused as to how you’ve come to any other conclusion.

I have been in the CI AV industry for 18 years and never would have thought that Sonos was the root of an issue i was having. I happened to add a couple of WAPs in my home over the weekend and went to use my Sonos after getting them online. I spend 3 hours troubleshooting my APs for any possible restrictions, shorts, hell even crossed wires when I built the 45 ends….. All other things on the network worked perfectly after a couple of products needing to be power cycled. I finally gave up and assumed it must be Sonos….. Thank you for the confirmation that Sonos is fallible and this is a them/new app problem. 

I also can’t connect to my system. I’ve lost connection to my Sonos move. I’m signed in, performed factory reset on my Sonos, and still cant do a system update. Restarted my modem, and tried every possible solution found online. I’m extremely annoyed. And the best thing i’ve read all day is on the Sonos website home page - “Effortless Listening”. 😡

Just piling on here, I just received a refurbished Arc, and for the life of me I can’t get it to connect, despite factory resets, owner transfer, etc. Still stuck on “Sign in as the System Owner”. I’ll be reaching out to support if I can find the time, in the meantime it’s a futuristic looking $700 log on my TV stand. Very very frustrated.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m both happy and sad. I’m happy it isn’t just me and sad that it’s clear this won’t be an easy fix even with “assistance” 

Things I’ve tried

-restarting speaker

-factory reset

-removing from router

-giving it its own profile on the router

-using both 2.4 and 5.0ghz connections

-creating a new Sonos profile

-using an android and iPhone to set up speaker

-deleting my account

-Sonos chat bot

-restarting phones and router

-different wifi

It doesn’t matter what I try I cannot do anything because either the speaker doesn’t connect and/or I get stuck in a loop because it wants me to sign in as system owner (already am) I for the life of me cannot fathom how Sonos has achieved this. It’s clear it isn’t just a small issue as all it takes is one look at the community page or even their social media. It’s just a constant them of “unable to connect” or “can’t sign in”

Same issue here after having Sonos system for over 10 years and having faced a ton of different errors and issues over the years. This  “system owner login required” error loop finally got me: I am not able to log in any more, even after trying all the tricks, and I am now unable to use my Sonos.  And yes, I am the system owner. A very frustrated system owner. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Same issue here after having Sonos system for over 10 years and having faced a ton of different errors and issues over the years. This  “system owner login required” error loop finally got me: I am not able to log in any more, even after trying all the tricks, and I am now unable to use my Sonos.  And yes, I am the system owner. A very frustrated system owner. 

This is beyond ridiculous. A normal sane company would’ve made a more fluid and user friendly system. Yes I get the whole “it’s better over network” but it’s not when you can’t sign in. So currently I have a decorative paperweight. 

I’m trying now to delete my Sonos account completely, factory reset my speakers (for the 100th time), and create a new Sonos account as a system owner (….), to which I’ll then add my speakers again.

Exactly what I wanted to do on a Friday evening.

I’ll update this thread if this works and we could get those paperweights to sing again!

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m trying now to delete my Sonos account completely, factory reset my speakers (for the 100th time), and create a new Sonos account as a system owner (….), to which I’ll then add my speakers again.

Exactly what I wanted to do on a Friday evening.

I’ll update this thread if this works and we could get those paperweights to sing again!

I too shall try this. I mean who wants to be outside in the nice warm weather when you can be inside fannying about with a musical statue. 

Update: creating a new account etc didn’t work.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Update: creating a new account etc didn’t work.

Did you try asking it nicely? I’ve swore too much for mine to listen to me now. I’ve even tried signing in as the previous owner…nope doesn’t work either. It seems somewhere Sonos has created a new owner completely independent of the user and themselves

I tried taking them out for a nice dinner and paid the tap. Afterwards we had a nice walk home through the park discussing about our relationship spanning over a decade now and all the ups and downs along the way, yet how we have always found back to each other, until now this new app with System Owner came between us destroying everything we had built together.

Jokes aside, I think I might have actually made things even worse by creating a new account, as my two speakers were registered to my old account. 

I tried taking them out for a nice dinner and paid the tab. Afterwards we had a nice walk home through the park discussing about our relationship spanning over a decade now and all the ups and downs along the way, yet how we have always found back together, until now this new app with System Owner came between us destroying everything we had built together.

Jokes aside, I think I might have actually made ribs worse by creating a new account, as my two speakers were registered to my old account. 

I am just over here looking for an update in the app store… I put in my 3 hours of troubleshooting and cussing. Now it’s just a waiting game for them to get a app fix.

I’m having exactly the same issue with my Sonos One speaker.  Factory reset, uninstalled app multiple times, Sonos support no help!

Exactly the same problem here, has anyone had any luck calling Sonos or is it just a waste of time?

Same boat here. We are going to need a bigger boat.

Badge

I am in same boat. Brand new Beam from P.C. Richard’s and existing Sonos One from my old house, and can’t figure it out. 

Time to sell my Sonos stock and go back to the trusty Bose. 

and no. I don’t care about Free shipping Sonos. 

Exact same problem, I’ve had Sonos system for a couple years, and today I went to play music had to update app… let to a circle login; reset password now it won’t let me change music without being the system owner.

Calling tech support 105 minute wait.   

Sonos has become useless with the new app.

Have read on Facebook people are plugging devices directly into router to complete the set up and from there they are on the network and can be unplugged. Anyone tried that?

After 4 hours yesterday trying to figure this out I gave up and decided to wait for a couple of days if Sonos’ team will have an app update, without the System Owner sign in issue. 

I was so close of putting mine on sale yesterday after a great 10 year run. 

So we are having exact same issue stuck in a boring frustrating sonos loop of factory reset/ unplugging doing everything everyone else has tried and have 3 very expensive paperweights that don’t play music. Will never buy Sonos again and don’t recommend either - beyond annoying and a waste of my time and to top it all off it’s sat am and their help desk isn’t open til Monday morning - * service

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Sonos put this problem as answered by an answer which gives their helpdesk no - they are beyond incompetent - we have over £600 of useless kit - if this isn’t fixed by them on Monday I am taking them to the small claims court

Sonos I am so angry about this - get this sorted asap

Userlevel 4
Badge

So I’ve been playing around for the last couple hours. That’s right I’ve gotten nowhere. Just stuck in an endless loop of either “sing in as the owner” or “we cannot find your device” it’s weird but I’ve never had an issue with any item that uses WiFi or Bluetooth, yet somehow Sonos will have the balls to blame us. Sonos this problem isn’t solved and the fact you make it near impossible to discuss with you just shows you have different ideas. What’s next “sorry you can’t use your speaker, unfortunately we cannot update these items so here’s a 10% discount off a new one” because I swear if you say anything even remotely stupid I will spend every moment going into as many other community questions asking the question, why won’t you solve this issue?